What's new

Consturction of 3rd Khushab reactor intensified

do we have any long range SAMs defending this site??? If not we really need to get some :agree:

The sites are adequately defended for sure, but some types of attack cannot be prevented.

1000MW ??? or same as old 300MW !!!!

If you are referring to ArsalanAslam's post... he is talking about 1000MW plant which i believe will be installed in Karachi or Chashma.... and will remain for peaceful purposes (electricity generation only) and under the IAEA safeguard

If you are referring to the first post...that is third reactor being installed in Khushab and will support Pakistan's Nuclear weapon's program...so its exact capacity will remain unknown.

Last edited:
If you are referring to ArsalanAhmed's post... he is talking about 1000MW plant which i believe will be installed in Karachi.... and will remain for peaceful purposes (electricity generation only) and under the IAEA safeguard

If you are referring to the first post...that is third reactor being installed in Khushab and will support Pakistan's Nuclear weapon's program...so its exact capacity will remain unknown.

Karachi is NOT the correct place to site such a big NPP. This unit will either go to Chashma, or another new site.

The Khushab reactors are totally different. All the thermal output of the core is dumped as waste heat, with no power generation. The cycle is determined by other factors.

Nope, not the old 300MW design. This is a new design with about 1000MW power generation output.

sir as per my info the power generation of this reactor also is 300MW.
the total production of the complex will reach about 1000 MW once all three are completed.

as Sir Arsalan have said, there were report that a new 1000MW project is on card.
hope this happens soon

the short fall have reached 5000MW as of today!
:hitwall:

Karachi is NOT the correct place to site such a big NPP. This unit will either go to Chashma, or another new site.

There is a land purchased in Karachi couple of months/years ago in order to accomodate Nuclear reactors in future. By the way, There is already one Nuclear reactor in Karachi operational since 1970s and is scheduled to be retired by next year.

the total production of the complex will reach about 1000 MW once all three are completed.

as Sir Arsalan have said, there were report that a new 1000MW project is on card.
hope this happens soon

China does have a large NPP design, bigger than the standard 900MW French design, with several significant changes. The problem for Pakistan will be to finance such a large project.

CHASNUPP was originally designed to have 3x300MW units, with provisions for two to three more if needed. The issue with that site now is the cooling water supply since the hydrology of the Indus Basin has changed quite a lot since the project was started.

There is a land purchased in Karachi couple of months/years ago in order to accomodate Nuclear reactors in future. By the way, There is already one Nuclear reactor in Karachi operational since 1970s and is scheduled to be retired by next year.

KANUPP is only 150 MW, and was sited when Karachi was much smaller and the regulatory environment and security concerns very different.

Better sites are available with better securtiy and cooling water supply than whatever land has been acquired, which can be used for other purposes.

1000MW ??? or same as old 300MW !!!!

Nope, not the old 300MW design. This is a new design with about 1000MW power generation output.

hope this happens soon

China does have a large NPP design, bigger than the standard 900MW French design, with several significant changes. The problem for Pakistan will be to finance such a large project.

CHASNUPP was originally designed to have 3x300MW units, with provisions for two to three more if needed. The issue with that site now is the cooling water supply since the hydrology of the Indus Basin has changed quite a lot since the project was started.

This thread was initially talking about Khushab Nuclear reactors (who are primely to support the military program) and we guyz have dragged Chashma projects too... (who are solely for civilian purposes) :rofl:

Please do not mix Chashma and Khushab in the same thread as it will confuse some of you about the Electricity and Nuclear program

Post 1 talking about Pakistan's Nuclear program while post 3 is about Nuclear electricity plants.

Lets stick with post 1 for now :rolleyes: and sorry there is no concrete evidence to prove its generation capacity

KANUPP is only 150 MW, and was sited when Karachi was much smaller and the regulatory environment and security concerns very different.

Better sites are available with better securtiy and cooling water supply than whatever land has been acquired, which can be used for other purposes.

Actually the land chosen to accomodate Nuclear reactors is far away from the population. Choosing a suitable place for nuclear reactors is not an easy task. Nuclear plants cannot be installed anywhere like an office building. You have to do a lot of soil tests, environment and so many things needs to be considered and then the best location is find out.

Don't worry about the location, scientists are not stupid to choose any place which is not feasible for the Nuclear reactors.

PS: China and IAEA will be working along so don't think they will let these plants be built anywhere that can endanger the lives of the public

That is why I have clearly stated before:

Chashma is for power generation. Khushab is not.

and

The Khushab reactors are totally different. All the thermal output of the core is dumped as waste heat, with no power generation. The cycle is determined by other factors.

"Far away" from population is only one of the criteria, plus other factors, including the ones that you mention.

I do know a few things about NPPs and their siting, so I am not worried at all. I am sure the people involved will do the best job they can with the resources provided. ;)

hope this happens soon

no it is not,
as sir Zaki have also stated, you re confusing Chasma and Kushab..

it is the chashma plant with a generation of 300MW with an intend that when all three reactors will be done and ready, the total production capacity of complex will reach 1000MW

regards!

Back
Top Bottom