What's new

Commonwealth Games Head Sees Improved Conditions

fallstuff

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Commonwealth Games Head Sees Improved Conditions

With national teams on their way to New Delhi, the Commonwealth Games chief said Saturday that India's last-minute push to clean and finish facilities was paying dividends, but much more work remained before the beleaguered sporting event opens in less than a week.

As criticism of the ****** athletes' village and other infrastructure problems escalated over the past week — and some teams threatened to pull out — Indian officials sent hundreds of extra workers to get the facilities in shape before the games.

Commonwealth Games Federation President Mike Fennell, who rushed to India to deal with the problems, told reporters that significant work had been done in recent days.

"There's still a lot of work to be done, to do the final touches, and there's more work in the village. It's not over yet," he said.

He said the problems centered on the cleanup of the athletes' village, especially water in the basements that was proving very difficult to remove.

Workers were also trying to sort out transportation and technology difficulties, as well as issues concerning security and fire safety, he said.

The urgency was evident at the athletes' village, where workers went about cleaning the area and painters gave last-minute touches.

Organizers took groups of New Delhi-based ambassadors from more than 50 participating countries and journalists to the village.

Australian High Commissioner Peter Varghese didn't appear to be too impressed with its condition.

"Obviously, you have to keep at it to make the village good enough to receive athletes," he said.

Regardless of the ongoing concerns, the first foreign competitors — the English hockey and lawn bowling teams — arrived Friday. Although they will stay in hotels before moving to the village, their arrival eased concerns about a mass pullout that could threaten the event, scheduled to start Oct. 3. New Zealand and Australia, both harsh critics of India's preparations, also said their athletes would attend.

Link:
Commonwealth Games Head Sees Improved Conditions - ABC News

he is very right

Akhil Kumar's bed at Games Village collapses

NEW DELHI: The shoddy state of the Games' Village stood exposed on Saturday when the Indian boxing team checked in at their residential block there only to find defending Commonwealth Games gold medallist Akhil Kumar's bed collapsing.

The 10-member Indian team, comprising among others Olympic and world championship bronze medallist Vijender Singh, were also kept waiting for nearly four hours at the Olympic Bhavan for the bus to take them to the Games' Village.

On reaching the Games' Village, Akhil said it was a rude shock as his bed collapsed when he sat down to take rest after a long journey.

"We reached at the Olympic Bhavan late in the afternoon to collect our accreditation cards. But when I sat down on my bed to take rest it collapse," he said.

"I checked the bed and part of it has no plywood on it. It was very disappointing after enduring a long journey. The athletes are at least entitled a decent place to rest.
Even the toilets are not very clean. I have told coach Gurbax Singh Sandhu about this," said the boxer who will compete in 56kg at the Commonwealth Games.

Apart from Akhil and Vijender (75kg), the team also comprises Asian champion Suranjoy Singh (52kg) and Commonwealth champions Jai Bhagwan (60kg) and Dinesh Kumar (81kg).

Accompanied by national coach Gurbax Singh Sandhu and Cuban coach B I Fernandes, the team comes here after months of training at the Naitonal Institute of Sports (NIS) in Patiala.

Boxers join the weightlifters and netball players in arriving at the Village, which was severely criticised by international delegates some days ago.

Akhil Kumar's bed at Games Village collapses - The Times of India

he is very right

Akhil Kumar's bed at Games Village collapses

NEW DELHI: The shoddy state of the Games' Village stood exposed on Saturday when the Indian boxing team checked in at their residential block there only to find defending Commonwealth Games gold medallist Akhil Kumar's bed collapsing.

The 10-member Indian team, comprising among others Olympic and world championship bronze medallist Vijender Singh, were also kept waiting for nearly four hours at the Olympic Bhavan for the bus to take them to the Games' Village.

On reaching the Games' Village, Akhil said it was a rude shock as his bed collapsed when he sat down to take rest after a long journey.

"We reached at the Olympic Bhavan late in the afternoon to collect our accreditation cards. But when I sat down on my bed to take rest it collapse," he said.

"I checked the bed and part of it has no plywood on it. It was very disappointing after enduring a long journey. The athletes are at least entitled a decent place to rest.
Even the toilets are not very clean. I have told coach Gurbax Singh Sandhu about this," said the boxer who will compete in 56kg at the Commonwealth Games.

Apart from Akhil and Vijender (75kg), the team also comprises Asian champion Suranjoy Singh (52kg) and Commonwealth champions Jai Bhagwan (60kg) and Dinesh Kumar (81kg).

Accompanied by national coach Gurbax Singh Sandhu and Cuban coach B I Fernandes, the team comes here after months of training at the Naitonal Institute of Sports (NIS) in Patiala.

Boxers join the weightlifters and netball players in arriving at the Village, which was severely criticised by international delegates some days ago.

Akhil Kumar's bed at Games Village collapses - The Times of India

:woot::woot:
I thought ABC news was being responsible !

Iss bar to band bajne wali hai apni....and ayodhya issue is also coming.....now only God can save us......but guess what he will not.....becoz God is also Indian.....too lazy to do nething....... :lol:

Last edited:
Iss bar to band bajne wali hai apni....and ayodhya issue is also coming.....now only God can save us......but guess what he will not.....becoz God is also Indian.....too lazy to do nething....... :lol:

oye fikar kyun karta hai.

puri baazi palat ke rakh denge...

After all gods' own land :)

anyway they have done a lot of damage. opening and final ceremonies are not the criteria

oye fikar kyun karta hai.

puri baazi palat ke rakh denge...

Sirji sachhi darr laga raha hai yaar (Sir I am terrified)....too many mess to handle......but I guess our juggad will work somehow.....:lol:

Media has already made it too embaressing......had they started 6 mths before...:angel:

After all Gods' own land :)

anyway they have done a lot of damage. opening and final ceremonies are not the criteria

Madamji please always use Capital 'G' in God...

Though I always refrained to answer u.....to escape a ban again.....:lol:

But this is a big mistake so I pointed out...please edit it....:angel:

thank u:wave:

Last edited:
Media has already made it too embaressing......had they started 6 mths before...:

well media did show what was on ground. the preparations are not yet completed and even work is going on.

oh BTW here is a scapegoat

Commonwealth Games media chief removed

NEW DELHI: Barely a week before the start of the event, Commonwealth Games Deputy Director General, Press Operations Manish Kumar was on Saturday transferred to Environment and Sustainability department, according to OC sources.

Manjushree Roy of Press Information Bureau has been named as the new DDG, Press Operations in Kumar's place.

The decision to transfer Kumar was taken by the Cabinet Secretariat.
Commonwealth Games media chief removed - The Times of India

:lol::lol: :lol::lol: he should have asked me directly if i was married or not what was need to create a kid out of nowhere

I think he was referring to your avatar and he thought it was ur daughter's photograph :lol:

Back
Top Bottom