What's new

Comfort & style: First business train chugs its way out of Lahore

Privatize railways.. and PIA.
Then watch how they skyrocket into the most profitable organizations of Pakistan.

is there someone or a group which will be willing to undertake this venture ?

Then watch how they skyrocket into the most profitable organizations of Pakistan.

I dont think privatization of railways is a good idea. The british experience is not a good one.

Are u sure this is the correct step forward especially afaik there is little or no competition in these sectors in pak??
Private companies would try to maximize profits,whereas gov. owned are for benefit of the masses.
Wats the point if u have privately owned railways earning profits but having exuberant cost that hte poor cant afford?Here iam assuming that private companies are going to charge more(as is generlly the case)

not in pakistan, even low cost carriers charge upto 8000 rupees round trip bt PIA recently started night coaches which r much cheaper

PNR 8,000 !!!? Dude that is a rip off for the pockets! How do the airlines sustain their operations with such high fares? Although it is slightly less than double of our Rupees, it is still expensive for a one way flight. :blink:

I traveled last month. For round trip, it didn't even cost me 6000 rupees INR. Hardly 1.5 hours of travel. I prefer that. I am guessing distance between HYD and Delhi is longer than between Lahore and Karachi.

I usually travel between Bangalore and Kolkata and flight ticket for one side trip is about 4000 Rupees. Once, I got a Flight ticket for about 2700 rupees just 400 rupees more than Duranto 2nd class AC from Kolkata to Bangalore which takes 16 hours for 2000km journey, so I went for flight.

LOL "Hero ban gaya zero" .... Saw this video on youtube. Don't know how authentic the news is but if true .... :disagree:

PR should bring out a comprehensive railway development package and stop with this charade of improvement! PR needs massive investments! Private sector can never help without adequate returns and they always look at maximizing profits specially when there is no competition! If private sector is to be really introduced, do it so that there are atleast 2 operators in each of the routes opened (with reduced capacity clearance for each!) so that competition leads to continuation of amenities and continued improvements.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL "Hero ban gaya zero" .... Saw this video on youtube. Don't know how authentic the news is but if true .... :disagree:

PR should bring out a comprehensive railway development package and stop with this charade of improvement! PR needs massive investments! Private sector can never help without adequate returns and they always look at maximizing profits specially when there is no competition! If private sector is to be really introduced, do it so that there are atleast 2 operators in each of the routes opened (with reduced capacity clearance for each!) so that competition leads to continuation of amenities and continued improvements.

Well it's a shame really how the second day the train is not up to it's standard as its suppose to offer what can you expect from a courpt gov ... but yaar what is so funny to you about it? plzz don't troll thanks.

What do you expect when Pakistan have world's most corrupt govt.

I usually travel between Bangalore and Kolkata and flight ticket for one side trip is about 4000 Rupees. Once, I got a Flight ticket for about 2700 rupees just 400 rupees more than Duranto 2nd class AC from Kolkata to Bangalore which takes 16 hours for 2000km journey, so I went for flight.

Exactly if you book your flight early, the prices are even cheaper. I think for the same distance as between Lahore and Karachi, you could easily find a flight in India at 5000 PKR (2800 INR) one way price. I was just surprised why anyone would spend as much for an 18 hour travel.

Well it's a shame really how the second day the train is not up to it's standard as its suppose to offer what can you expect from a courpt gov ... but yaar what is so funny to you about it? plzz don't troll thanks.

I was laughing at the situation mate! All this hype and for what!?! :disagree:

I was really looking forward to this train man! I am a rail enthusiast and any development in trains is always a good news for me. But it saddens me to see how PR has degenerated into what it is today! There was a time when no documentary on IR was complete without PR. Sad indeed!

It seems Pakistan railway management and Pakistan government is not interested in changing face of Pakistan Railway, it should be privatized before its too late and the whole railway system go obsolete causing it useless to be privatized.

What do you expect when Pakistan have world's most corrupt govt.
Dont jump to conclusion. This is irresponsible journalism. When new service starts such problem normally occur.
Why blame govt, does govt micromanage the railways( procure food etc on daily basis?).
It is the railways staff who do it, and they should be blamed if true.

If possible.. then Indian Railway can afford to start a train from New Delhi to Karachi via Amritsar and lahore. Current New Delhi bound Shan -e-Punjab is upto Amritsar. It is hell of train and very popular among people how use this train frequently, coz of its sheer speed and punctuality.

Just wishful thinking.

Regards,

Back
Top Bottom