What's new

Coach Waqar Younis resigns for ‘personal reasons’

ZaYYaF

Reaction score
Coach Waqar Younis resigns for ‘personal reasons’

waqar-younis-543.jpg

KARACHI: Pakistan cricket coach Waqar Younis resigned on Saturday, citing personal reasons, but said he would continue in his job through this month’s tour of Zimbabwe.

“I have tendered my resignation to the Board last week and the tour to Zimbabwe will be my last,” Waqar Younis told a press conference, just over a week before the national team’s departure for the African country.

The 39-year-old former fast bowler took over as coach in March 2010, but has since faced controversies including the spot-fixing scandal that led to lengthy bans for three cricketers, dissent from players and differences with former one-day captain Shahid Afridi.

“I have taken this decision on personal grounds, including medical grounds, and have no differences with anyone and my resignation has been accepted by the (Pakistan Cricket) Board,” said Waqar.

Pakistan plays one practice game, one Test, three one-day internationals and two Twenty20 matches on the tour of Zimbabwe which starts on August 28.

Coach Waqar Younis resigns for ‘personal reasons’ | Sport | DAWN.COM

Shame to be honest. One thing Pakistan need is stability and continuity. We simply cant have the same coach for a sustained period of time. Bit like our leaders of our country!

If only we could separate politics from sports, abolish grouping within the team.

If only we could separate politics from sports, abolish grouping within the team.
Its not just the politics.
Our players are paid peanuts. They should be paid the going rate by the board. Also senior players tend to hold too much power in the team. I think people like Inzi and in the past people like Miandad have tended to delay thier retirement hence blocking fresh blood to be introduced. The Indians will experience this with Tendulkar, Laxman and Dravid retire.
Suppose Ejaz Ahmed is a good replacement as he has done well with the youngsters in the past. Hope Waqar isnt ill and returns soon.

I heard Ejaz Ahmed were to be hired to improve the batting techniques of our players.

I heard Ejaz Ahmed were to be hired to improve the batting techniques of our players.

I think our players are starved of international cricket and hence they lack experience. On one side you have the Indians who have simply too much cricket. On the other side we simply dont have any at all!

So now some pithu of Ijaz Butt is going to come in. And I also heard Ijaz Butt will be re-elected now. Btw Waqar Younus's salary was very low compared to the other coaches in the world. Even Bob Woolmer before him got much more money that Waqar.

This was not the right time for Waqar Younis to resigns for any personal reasons..we have to wait and see the real reason behind this.

Team was doing very well under waqar coaching.

Assalam alaikum

first of all i m against making someone a coach if he played with them. However waqar done a good job during his time it is bad for the time that he is gone and i hope it is not a pressure tactic and yes they should pay the pak coach same amount of money the pay to the foreigner coach if not more.

TARIQ

Back
Top Bottom