What's new

Chittagong vs Kolkata

No one gets a permanent anchoring of the cruise liners. As I said this isn't how the cruise liners work!

Its not your Dhaka to Khulna ferry service which runs on a fixed timetable. :hitwall:

I'm not talking about permanent anchoring genius, the ship doesn't have Kochi in its itinerary... that makes my point.

Kolkata is one of the biggest trading hubs in entire south Asia because it is the biggest and busiest city in and around a dozen Indian states (and some foreign countries including yours), all connected with railways, highways, airways, riverways and seaways, it works as a hub for a humongous mass of land. And all the cargo don't need to go through Kolkata or Haldia ports, we also have a couple of deep sea ports around at Paradip and Visakhapatnam with cargo handling figures of 68 and 58.50 million tonnes respectively for 2013-14. We have options, unlike Bangladesh.

And about your Farakka Barrage comment, if you have multiple businesses, then it doesn't mean that you will discard all but the biggest one.

Chittagong is a port city, and Kolkata is a major city of India that also has a port, there is a difference. :)

The usual blabbering from you. Trading hubs usually have busy ports where the trading happens, I'm talking about foreign trade here. Chittagong port is thrice busier than Kolkata, then how could Kolkata be 'one of the biggest trading hubs in entire south Asia'? And the biggest city? What's Kolkata's city population? 4 million? That too with a declining growth rate... And I'm not talking about the entire southern West Bengal which you call Kolkata metro. Chittagong city has a population of 6 million itself. Please don't quote me unless you have anything constructive to discuss, I'm seriously in no mood of those cheap dick measuring contest. Feel free to consider Chittagong a fishing village if that soothes you...

Last edited:
Yes, but not comparable with Kolkata. :)
Chittagong is actually a bigger and richer city then Kolkata.Chittagong has 6.5 million people vs 4.5 million for Kolkata megacity.It is also much richer than Kolkata.Chittagong city have highest per capita income in BD while per capita income in West Bengal is lower than BD.Kolkata have some bigger infrastucture like metro rail,but overall I will put ahead Chittagong over Kolkata.:-)

The usual blabbering from you. Trading hubs usually have busy ports where the trading happens, I'm talking about foreign trade here. Chittagong port is thrice busier than Kolkata, then how could Kolkata be 'one of the biggest trading hubs in entire south Asia'? And the biggest city? What's Kolkata's city population? 4 million? That too with a declining growth rate... And I'm not talking about the entire southern West Bengal which you call Kolkata metro. Chittagong city has a population of 6 million itself. Please don't quote me unless you have anything constructive to discuss, I'm seriously in no mood of those cheap dick measuring contest. Feel free to consider Chittagong a fishing village if that soothes you...

All the cargo don't need to go through Kolkata or Haldia ports, we also have a couple of deep sea ports around at Paradip and Visakhapatnam with cargo handling figures of 68 and 58.50 million tonnes respectively for 2013-14. We have options, unlike Bangladesh.

Chittagong is actually a bigger and richer city then Kolkata.Chittagong has 6.5 million people vs 4.5 million for Kolkata megacity.It is also much richer than Kolkata.Chittagong city have highest per capita income in BD while per capita income in West Bengal is lower than BD.Kolkata have some bigger infrastucture like metro rail,but overall I will put ahead Chittagong over Kolkata.:-)

In 2008, Kolkata had a GDP of $104 billion, ranked 61 in the world. Dhaka had a GDP of $78 billion ranked 77 in the world.
Chittagong has a GDP of $41.45 billion, that too a 2014 figure.

Check the pwc report: http://pwc.blogs.com/files/global-city-gdp-rankings-2008-2025.pdf

However, beliefs don't always need to be backed by hard facts, so you can have your beliefs! :-)

Container handling is the main indicator of the performance of a sea port...

OMG,Then what about Paradip,India's second busiest seaport ? :lol:

. Chittagong port is thrice busier than Kolkata, then how could Kolkata be 'one of the biggest trading hubs in entire south Asia'

Its almost the same as chittagong-41.39 million tonnes

It's not a luxury one like that of Chittagong...

We expect the number of cruise vessels calling at the port to touch 42 in the November-May season. One of the biggest such vessels ‘Quantum of the Seas’ is expected to arrive here in June. The Union Ministers of Shipping and Tourism are expected here to witness the historic arrival,” a senior port official said.

Each year, approximately 60,000 cruise tourists who descend in Kochi generate Rs. 60 crore to the State’s exchequer. On an average, a cruise tourist (most of them belong to high-spending category) spends $200 in the State during a ship’s stopover here for less than a day.

Kolkata is a Beta− Global city-Dhaka doesn't even feature in this list...

hat's Kolkata's city population? 4 million? That too with a declining growth rate... And I'm not talking about the entire southern West Bengal which you call Kolkata metro. Chittagong city has a population of 6 million itself.

14 million vs 6 million ?

I don't think you understand what you're talking about, there is no leg pulling or suffering from an inferiority complex going on. The fact that you're getting a BOOST comparing a country which has a total area well over 1 MILLION compared to a country which is regularly referred to as a "minnow" having less than 60,000 square miles. And not to mention having an enormous population.

We are just laughing at the claims your compadres make such as India NOT being a 3rd world country because it has the likes of Suzuki or Google, lmao. I think it's a case of cataracts going on.

Fortunately Bangladeshis know their place in the world where as Indians are such ego maniac delusional programming nerds who feel the need to compare their country every now and again to make their big heads, even bigger.

I don't think you understand what you're talking about, there is no leg pulling or suffering from an inferiority complex going on. The fact that you're getting a BOOST comparing a country which has a total area well over 1 MILLION compared to a country which is regularly referred to as a "minnow" having less than 60,000 square miles. And not to mention having an enormous population.

We are just laughing at the claims your compadres make such as India NOT being a 3rd world country because it has the likes of Suzuki or Google, lmao. I think it's a case of cataracts going on.

Fortunately Bangladeshis know their place in the world where as Indians are such ego maniac delusional programming nerds who feel the need to compare their country every now and again to make their big heads, even bigger.

Typical BS..ignored

Some Road interchanges in Kolkata

Rushabh Gandhi, on Flickr

20951295105_ff0ff01f4e_o.png

20330269983_b413030288_o.png

In 2008, Kolkata had a GDP of $104 billion, ranked 61 in the world. Dhaka had a GDP of $78 billion ranked 77 in the world.
Chittagong has a GDP of $41.45 billion, that too a 2014 figure.

Check the pwc report: http://pwc.blogs.com/files/global-city-gdp-rankings-2008-2025.pdf

However, beliefs don't always need to be backed by hard facts, so you can have your beliefs! :-)
My God,You guys are holding that one pwc blog post as a Gospel truth.That blog's methodology is questionable at best.If Kolkata had 104 billion GDP with 4.5 million people then it's per capita income would have been 23000 usd gdp ppp, a first world developed city like.It is only possible if you include 2/3 of west Bengal as a part of Kolkata.Also in 2008,BD's gdp figure was severely underestimated which reflected in their estimation and projection for Dhaka.

41.45 billion usd is for nominal gdp of Chittagong which is you comparing with inflated ppp figure of Kolkata? Bravo to you.:lol:According to Price warehouse Cooper Chittagong city has nominal per capita 5,719 usd in 2014.Do you think Kolkata have 5700 usd nominal per capita? Chittagong has lowest poverty rate in BD only 4 percent and it has 40 percent industrial output of BD.It is we who should be saying Kolkata is not comparable with Chittagong.Not you.:-)

My God,You guys are holding that one pwc blog post as a Gospel truth.That blog's methodology is questionable at best.If Kolkata had 104 billion GDP with 4.5 million people then it's per capita income would have been 23000 usd gdp ppp,

Check GDP for Mumbai,idiot

GDP: The top 10 cities in India - Rediff.com Business

Why are these Bangladeshis comparing their infrastructure deficient city to Kolkata...? Kolkata is miles ahead.

First upgrade that two lane road and meter gauge railway..then talk!

A bypass road in a tier 4 town in Kerala,south India

10615578_681970295228158_7293169807462052879_n.jpg

1656410_575325792559276_1387205468_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom