What's new

Chinese troops’ refusal to retreat was a unusual gesture

thestringshredder

Reaction score
Country
India
NEW DELHI: An unprecedented situation faces the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) troops in Depsang plains along the Sino-Indian border in Ladakh. A set of tents housing Chinese troops and ITBP/Army personnel stand facing each other at RakiNala, around 10 km into what India perceives as the Line of Actual Control (LAC), waiting for inmates on either side to show the first signs of retreat.

The face-off started on April 15, when a set of around 30 Chinese troops made an incursion into the Indian side of the LAC. ITBP personnel manning the nearest Burtse border outpost, who had noticed sorties by two Chinese helicopters just hours earlier, immediately reported the incursion and were told by their commanders to advance a matching Indian contingent to face the Chinese troops.

ITBP did not find the latest incursion unusual, as nearly 400 such incursions by Chinese troops were reported in 2012 and around 100 since January 1 this year. With different perceptions of the LAC on either side — the Raki Nala area, according to the Chinese perception, is one km into their side of the LAC — such incursions are reported on both the sides. However, as per the laid down norms, each time an incursion is flagged, ITBP/Army troops on the Indian side and the Chinese troops on the other raise banners, which is a signal for the other to retreat. However, unlike normal situations when the troops retreat almost immediately, the Chinese troops this time stayed put, forcing the Indian forces to also deploy a matching contingent. The face-off continued through the day, but as night fell, both the sides retreated. But while the Indian contingent retreated to their Burtse outpost, the Chinese did something unusual. They pitched tents just a little distance away, ensuring a night shelter for the transgressing troops. This was contrary to the Sino-Indian agreement that no permanent structure would be erected on the border.

ITBP troops were shocked to see the Chinese tents the next morning, and a decision was taken, in consultation with the Army and ministry of defence, that a matching Indian contingent will also pitch tents in the same area until the Chinese agree to retreat. However, as the Chinese refused to budge over the next couple of days, a flag meeting was called by the local commanders on April 18. The meeting, where the Indian side comprised representatives from both the Army and ITBP, failed to resolve the standoff, with the Chinese only offering to "revert" on India's request asking them to retreat.

A second flag meeting on Tuesday has also failed to end the face-off. "It may take the intervention of higher-ups in the Army and the government to convince the Chinese troops to step back...this may take a few days," said a senior ITBP official. Officials in the Indian security establishment, however, see no reason to fear an escalation in tension along the India-China border and are confident that the Chinese troops will eventually agree to step back, though deciding the modalities may take a while.

Link - Chinese troops’ refusal to retreat was a unusual gesture - The Times of India

You want yo move us, then try your best. If you can't, stop crying because its ours now.

Since you have typed some stupid comments .. here you go..

India is Soft .So am I.

Sometimes when i go near some street dogs, they bark and try to bite me. do i have to be aggresive? or do i have to move away from it. It will be bad idea to be aggressive at the dog . Just throw some buscuites it will be ok..

That doesnt mean that i dont know how to use a stick or stone ...

The same applies to India. We know when to use sticks or when to throw buscuites

India is Soft .So am I.

Sometimes when i go near some street dogs, they bark and try to bite me. do i have to be aggresive? or do i have to move away from it. It will be bad idea to be aggressive at the dog . Just throw some buscuites it will be ok..

The same applies to India. We know when to use sticks or when to throw buscuites

But you are too scared to use force against a vastly superior military. Your generals and officials know this. Your bluff was called and India is being showed up for the weakling it always has been. All well and good thumping your chest against the Pakistanis but when messing with the PLA, India has a death wish.

I think India gor is stupid, media made things worse, this thing happened every day for both India and China frontier forces since there is not accurate border. Each side patrols along each identified LAC, media made a very big bang, then if China frontier force retreat at the ask of India, it will mean that China admit this place is Indian territory, this should solve at not open to the public, media made this known all over the world, both sides has less step to retreat.

I think India gor is stupid, media made things worse, this thing happened every day for both India and China frontier forces since there is not accurate border. Each side patrols along each identified LAC, media made a very big bang, then if China frontier force retreat at the ask of India, it will mean that China admit this place is Indian territory, this should solve at not open to the public, media made this known all over the world, both sides has less step to retreat.
u got the point there whichever side retreats they will show that they are weak so now lets bring in the big guns :devil:

Where's that dalai drama nowadays he's not feeling well?

Chinese should provide the acupuncture.

India is Soft .So am I.

When a dog barks at you indians, you drop to ground and bow to shvan!

How can you disrespect your holy figures

Our combat helicopters will tear the Indians to shreds.

Our combat helicopters will tear the Indians to shreds.

and IAF would be just watching the whole drama of Chinese combat helicopters ....:no:

Where's that dalai drama nowadays he's not feeling well?

Chinese should provide the acupuncture.

When a dog barks at you indians, you drop to ground and bow to shvan!

How can you disrespect your holy figures

abhey, bhai kis holi figure ki baat kr rahe ho ???

Meanwhile i will not Insult your religion because we are no animal like you :angel:

Both Pakistan and China should reinforce their frontier areas with India, India is acting up again.

Oh dear lord, I hope this situation does not escalate into something big! Why is our government not entering as a neutral mediator, #fail #foreign-policy

Really ..... First hold the ongoing election and create stability in your country .... and then come to rescue china as a ally in war against India .... if it don't turn into WW3

First, second, third, Pakistan decides what it needs to do. It's imperative frontiers and borders with India are reinforced, both China and Pakistan need to share intel on Indian positions, equipment, troop size, fortifications, etc on the frontier.

Oh dear lord, I hope this situation does not escalate into something big! Why is our government not entering as a neutral mediator, #fail #foreign-policy

Your Government (Canadian Government) should mind it's own business, no offense. Focus on Ice Hockey game you (Winnipeg) lost to Capitals.

First, second, third, Pakistan decides what it needs to do. It's imperative frontiers and borders with India are reinforced, both China and Pakistan need to share intel on Indian positions, equipment, troop size, fortifications, etc on the frontier.

Your Government (Canadian Government) should mind it's own business, no offense. Focus on Ice Hockey game you (Winnipeg) lost to Capitals.

Guess what yank, Canada is a neutral global leader known for excellent human rights record, which makes us an ideal candidate plus we have a huge diaspora of both inde and chinois people. If you do not believe me, you can check our recent human rights record, we have improved it drastically!

Offtopic: Also monsieur, the Leafs already made it before your capitals and good job for taking out the Jets, they are not even a threat to us. Our real competition are the Habs but we got Lupul,kessel, phaneuff, kadri and reimer is simply looking great, so don't underestimate us.

Back
Top Bottom