What's new

Chinese Tanks & Armored Vehicles

I think China should start developing side ERA for its tanks. We have seen Russian and Ukrainian tanks blown up countless times because of side penetration, and most Chinese tanks only have rubber side skirt which offers nearly zero protection against ATGM.
against tandem charge atgms it doesn't really matter. hardkill APS is the only viable solution.

against tandem charge atgms it doesn't really matter. hardkill APS is the only viable solution.
Newer ERA such as Relik and FY-4 can stop tandem warheads.

1698204790784.png

1698204937600.png

Russians have begun installing ERA blocks on their new tanks. This is a lesson learned from combat in Ukraine. China would do well to adapt.

This is what happens if the tank is hit on the side without ERA:

Remember, this T-90M already enhanced its side protection with steel plates on top of the side skirts. Most Chinese tanks are even more exposed on the flanks.

1698250320664.png

Why do you think so?
Only makes logical sense to get foreign designs to see where China can improve its tank designs. Also considering these tanks were destroyed in recent battle with modern threats, they could reveal things that may give inspiration to tank designers in China.

Having the physical specimen can help as a reference of global trends.

Only makes logical sense to get foreign designs to see where China can improve its tank designs. Also considering these tanks were destroyed in recent battle with modern threats, they could reveal things that may give inspiration to tank designers in China.

Having the physical specimen can help as a reference of global trends.
Do you think it is developed near two years?

There were some pics in 2020.

Last edited:
Do you think it is developed near two years?

There were some pics in 2020.
I’m not saying China doesn’t have its own independent R&D going on, but seeing how the Abrams (which I got to go inside a few years ago) has blow out panels and blast doors to protect the crew, and other ways in which western tanks differ from current Chinese tanks.

Also, Ukrainian innovations in the midst of battle can also be assessed for implementation by China.

Is Russia sending any destroyed Leopards, Challengers and/or Abrams to China for study?
And again, the IFV was developed much ealier than the Russia-Ukraine conflict, so why did you think "Is Russia sending any destroyed Leopards, Challengers and/or Abrams to China for study?"

And again, the IFV was developed much ealier than the Russia-Ukraine conflict, so why did you think "Is Russia sending any destroyed Leopards, Challengers and/or Abrams to China for study?"
My question is not tied to the IFVs. My original quote was under the graphic of the upgrades of Chinese tanks.

Back
Top Bottom