What's new

Chinese people should look at the rise of Kpop and korean drama more positively

esolve

Reaction score
Country
China
for a long time, East Asian modern culture except Japanese anime is not popular in the world
a most important reason is that East Asian look (or mongoloid) is not popular in the world.
many non-Asian people even can't differentiate one Asian person with another, they think all Asian people look the same.
The west is dominant in the world and so is their look.
Indians, middle east people and south American people look more west than East Asian people.
so it will be more difficult for East Asian countries to export modern culture(movies, dramas, music) to non-Asian countries than other major countries, e.g, India, Turkey.

But the rise of Kpop and K-dramas have broken the limitations.
this is a good phenomenon.
And I think Kpop is laying a easy road to the outside world for future cultural export of China.
I see the rise of Chinese entertainment industry in recent years.
And I think 5 or 10 years later, Chinese entertainment may take place of Kpop.
Let Kpop do the hard entry work for China:-)

Last edited:
The entertainment is no real softpower, the scientific achievement is.

The K-pop looks so effeminate with a bunch of girly men, and we don't wanna see this cult to intoxicate our society.
We are Chinese, a great power like China only presents itself as a powerful nation unlike South Korea and Japan with their weird fetish culture

It is clearly apparent that no one understands soft power here.

The entertainment is no real softpower, the scientific achievement is.

The K-pop looks so effeminate with a bunch of girly men, and we don't wanna see this cult to intoxicate our society.

Umm... Your society is already bad about a lot of Korean shows, a result of the dramatically poor quality of domestic shows. (And don't argue here, I can quote you even Xinhua and People's Daily acknowledging this. )

It is clearly apparent that no one understands soft power here.
Umm... Your society is already bad about a lot of Korean shows, a result of the dramatically poor quality of domestic shows. (And don't argue here, I can quote you even Xinhua and People's Daily acknowledging this. )

when I SEE the above replies, I feel China is over
if a guy born in 1986 is with the mentality of those old communist party members, where is our future?

We are Chinese, a great power like China only presents itself as a powerful nation unlike South Korea and Japan with their weird fetish culture

Yep, two colonized countries with a dysfunctional culture can only produce those girly men.

And this is how the great men from a great independent country look like.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

A great power can only be the most dominant cultural power. Culture is the biggest way to earn respect, admiration and followership

China was the dominant culture in East Asia before, and people automatically took China's lead in that part of the world. Similarly for India, who was dominant in South Asia.

Consider US. It is by far the largest cultural exporter. This makes people comfortable with your power and a natural leader, a reason US has so many allies, and so many countries are more than willing to take US lead.

Yep, two colonized countries with the dysfunctional culture can only produce the girly men.

View attachment 249704

View attachment 249705

View attachment 249706

Just to be frank, on a per capita basis, Korea and Japan are way ahead of China in sports.

those are rubbish. Esolve, you are a domestic bangzi?

No, I only watched several Korean dramas and that is before 2009, and only several episodes (episode, not the whole series of dramas)in recent years. I don't like Kpop, but I admire or envy south Korea for its achievements.

Yep, two colonized countries with a dysfunctional culture can only produce the girly men.

View attachment 249704

View attachment 249705

View attachment 249706

Also Japan and Korea are both neither colonized, nor dysfunctional, and their soft power far exceeds anything China has got.

Japanese Animes are a global rage, and one of my friends started learning Japanese only because of Animes.

Just to be frank, on a per capita basis, Korea and Japan are way ahead of China in sports.

There is no such thing as per capita in sports. China doesn't get to field a 15 person basketball team against the US.

Sports is 1v1, either individual or team. Unless the number of team members playing a sport is proportional to national population, then it is irrelevant what the country of origin of that team is.

Every country has idiots and far right nut jobs, but what makes Chinese ones exceptionally dangerous is their tendency to generalize, and enforce their views.

Most American nutjobs will agree that the other side has their right to speech, and hold their views, but Chinese ones will be more insistent on enforcing their views onto others.

Yep, two colonized countries with a dysfunctional culture can only produce those girly men.

View attachment 249704

View attachment 249705

View attachment 249706

these are not soft power.
when I was in France, I was using location-based social network App badoo, line or wechat
some french girls added me as friend coz they see my Asian face
and the first sentence they sent to me is: are you korean?
at first I replied Chinese, then they don't respond any more
and then I tried Taiwanese or Japanese, still the same
once I say I'm Korean, they begin to talk more.

this is soft power.
a strong army or olympic medal is not soft power

And per capita basis that some countries are ahead of the US, so...

So those countries punch far above their weight.

There is no such thing as per capita in sports. China doesn't get to field a 15 person basketball team against the US.

Sports is 1v1, either individual or team. Unless the number of team members playing a sport is proportional to national population, then it is irrelevant what the country of origin of that team is.

With a larger population you get a larger pool to choose from, and more funds.

Size does matter.

And korea is far better in sports than China.

Back
Top Bottom