What's new

Chinese Nuclear Carrier Design Unveiled (Along With Ion Propulsion Engine)

I dont think the chinese industry is mature enough to push for a completely new design.

Well the smart thing they did was to build their ant-aircraft carrier capability (e.g. Dong Feng 21D) as well.

What makes the ion thruster special is the velocity of the expelled particles. Higher velocity = more efficient. The actual force is very low, but they can keep it up for weeks or years, and ultimately create extremely high velocities in space.

The design of the American carrier is great, why bother to change it?

Since China is not the one who invented the aircraft carrier, so no need to waste too much money just for a fancy word 'innovation'.

If people really want to see China's innovation, then it should be something that the World has never invented before.

The American carrier design is great, why bother to change it?

Since China is not the one who invented the aircraft carrier, so no need to waste too much money just for a fancy word 'innovation'.

If people really want to see China's innovation, then it should be something that the World has never invented before.

I'm sure the Chinese will come up with a better product.

I'm sure the Chinese will come up with a better product.

I think China can manage to make the maintenance/operational costs cheaper for the supercarrier.

But the supercarrier was already a very mature product, thus i don't think there are much more room for improvement.

China should spend more money to innovate something that doesn't exist yet once it becomes number one in GDP.

What makes the ion thruster special is the velocity of the expelled particles. Higher velocity = more efficient. The actual force is very low, but they can keep it up for weeks or years, and ultimately create extremely high velocities in space.

tell me one thing,if ion engines have low initial velocity and low force,how will it pick up from ground,or actually they r using a mix of chemical and ion engines.

Thruster engine are only used in deep space, I think. (and used only when you already have considerable speed from rocket burns.)

Then again, maybe the Chinese indigenous carrier would be as different to US carrier as the J-20 is to the F-22. Don't rule out a nasty surprise again.:D

hmmm makes perfect sense

we have seen chinas build up of military and technology directly aimed at fighting the usa

we are all in demand of oil to sustain our military equiptment

and in reality, if a new war started, countrys would be hard up getting enough oil to sustain military operations

with this, china would be able to simply hold off the american forces, due to the fact america in any defence of allies or strategic positions, would have to travel so far. logistically, this is a very sound and logical way of combating america. sure it might not be as fast or powerful as american navy in therms of propulsion. but they dont need to be.

while america fights hard to get access to enough oil, and other resources needed to fund and supply their military

china would be able to operate normally on what the americans would say is rations

Never run before you can walk.

Agreed. China has never built aircraft carrier before, works on Varyag is a major refit so it doesn't count, a first attempt to built a 60,000 ton class CV with-out prior building experience is a major feat.

10054422lit.jpg

10054411lit.jpg

Compare the above to the Ford class carrier pictured below:

CVN-78_Artist_Image.jpg

Agreed. China has never built aircraft carrier before, works on Varyag is a major refit so it doesn't count, a first attempt to built a 60,000 ton class CV with-out prior building experience is a major feat.

Yes. It's better for China to build conventional ACs first before jumping to nuclear propulsion.

Lack of experience may spell out big trouble on the battlefield.

Back
Top Bottom