What's new

Chinese Missiles News & Discussions

what's the speeds of MaRV during re-entry and impact/blast ?

conservative estimations put a high limit of less than 22 seconds for the warhead to search track and lock on at terminal phase.

Again conservative estimates place the target at any position within a 13-15 km radius from it's original position when the missile was launched.

conservative estimations put a high limit of less than 22 seconds for the warhead to search track and lock on at terminal phase.

Again conservative estimates place the target at any position within a 13-15 km radius from it's original position when the missile was launched.
:lol: What a foolish and illogical reply! The guy has never heard of flight controls and he's posting endless garbage on Chinese threads to delude himself against fear of China.

Why not? I don't remember the U.S. being immune to (stealth) UAVs and having a perfect record of detecting and shooting down UAVs.
Remember? What do you know in the first place in order to 'remember'? Considering we are the only country currently using more UAVs than the rest of the world COMBINED and that the USAF graduated more UAV controllers than aircraft pilots, what make you think we do not know how to counter UAVs? Because YOU do not 'remember'? :lol: And do you really think the US military will reveal the know-how?

Also, why doesn't the U.S. have to fight Chinese subs? China has 71 subs. U.S. only has 60.
Ridiculous argument. Despite what the movie 'Red October' may entertained, subs do not gang up on each other. The US have far more experience than China in submarine warfare and in any mano-a-mano engagement, go to Vegas if you want to bet on the Chinese sub.

The Chinese know the waters off their coast very well. Their subs practice there all the time. As far as I know, the U.S. does not hold its submarine drills in Chinese waters. The advantage lies with the Chinese submarine force.
Bunk. The US know the Chinese coastal region quite well. We go there a lot during the Cold War.

What's wrong with tracking carrier groups with satellites? Have you never heard of optical (during the day) or infrared (during the night) satellites?
Satellites move and eventually will lose its line-of-sight. Does China have enough satellites to track? Doubtful at this time.

You think the search radars and radio communications from carrier groups cannot be detected by planes, UAVs, or satellites?
We have far more experience at EMCON than China does.

Enterprise’s EW Module Stays Below the Radar
During EMCON Alpha, no emissions are permitted at all.
Back in Apr 1986, the USS Ranger left San Diego and entered EMCON Alpha and for two weeks she conducted 'air assaults' with no one able to find her.

Tell the PLAN to try harder. Much much harder.

:lol: What a foolish and illogical reply. Such a desperate attempt at self-delusion.
You mean it went whoooosh over your head and that is all you can say to cover for your lack of understanding.

what's the speeds of MaRV during re-entry and impact/blast ?

During the terminal phase:

Chinese DF-15 SRBM has a terminal speed of Mach 6 (see citation below).

Chinese DF-21D IRBM has a terminal speed of Mach 10.

Chinese DF-5/DF-31/DF-31A ICBM has a terminal speed of Mach 23.

----------

Indian missile defense won't work against hypersonic Chinese ballistic missiles

Shooting down a Prithvi SRBM

It depends on whether the interceptor shot down a Prithvi I/II or a Prithvi III SRBM.

A Prithvi I SRBM has a range of 150km. A Prithvi II has a range of 250km.

For an interceptor to shoot down a Prithvi I, it's really not that hard. A Prithvi I is liquid fueled, which should have a lower energy density than a solid-fueled missile. Also, given the limited range of 150km, the incoming warhead will have a very slow speed.

Shooting down a Prithvi II is better performance. Given the greater 250-350km range of a Prithvi II, the incoming warhead should travel a little faster than a Prithvi I.

Since a Prithvi III is solid-fueled and has the greatest range at 350-600km range. Shooting down a Prithvi III warhead would be the best performance, because the warhead should be traveling faster than a Prithvi I or II.

However, in the end, the interceptor only shot down a SRBM.

I would have to research the answer, but a SRBM warhead moves pretty slowly. It's nice for India to develop a defense against a SRBM.

I know a Chinese DF-21D ASBM travels at Mach 10. As far as I know, the United States has no reliable defense against an incoming IRBM warhead.

An ICBM warhead travels at Mach 23. No known conventional technology can intercept an incoming ICBM MARV. You might get lucky with a Nike Hercules-type nuclear interceptor, but then you'll become blind to the follow-up nuclear strike.

In conclusion, an interceptor against a SRBM is a nice beginning. To become truly useful, the technology must be extended and shown to reliably intercept Mach 10 IRBMs and Mach 23 ICBMs.

References:

Prithvi (missile) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

LGM-30 Minuteman III ICBM - United States Nuclear Forces

"Speed: Approximately 15,000 mph (Mach 23 or 24,000 kph) at burnout"

----------

Indian AAD/Prithvi interceptor won't work against China's DF-15 SRBM with MARV warhead

The Indian Prithvi AAD works only against dumb warheads that travel in a predictable trajectory. Basically, a Prithvi interceptor was used to shoot down another Prithvi SRBM.

A Chinese DF-15 SRBM is a completely different story. A DF-15 has a maneuverable warhead (MARV or maneuverable reentry vehicle). I don't think the U.S. can shoot down an incoming Mach 6 MARV under real world conditions.

Technically speaking, it is impossible for a supersonic Prithvi to intercept a Mach 6 DF-15 MARV warhead. You need a steerable hypersonic interceptor kill vehicle that can travel at least Mach 6 to have a chance.

y5HqI.jpg

Chinese DF-15 SRBM (short-range ballistic missile) with 600km range has a terminal velocity of over Mach 6. China's hypersonic DF-15 SRBM cannot be intercepted by slow-moving supersonic Indian AAD interceptor missile.

----------

DF-15 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The DF-15 uses a solid fuel, single-stage rocket. It is vertically launched from an eight wheeled transporter erector launcher (TEL). The missile's trajectory is guided using small thrusters and an inertial guidance system on the warhead. The warhead is only a tenth of the size of the missile body. After the body and warhead separate, the body trails behind to camouflage the warhead. The terminal velocity of the missile is over Mach 6.[3]
Warhead One, with Maneuverable reentry vehicles [1]

Blast yield 350-500 kT"

----------

Too many intractable problems in defending against China

India has lots of problems.

1. Too many Chinese missiles. China has 1,800 SRBMs stationed near the Taiwan coast. It will bankrupt India to build that many interceptors.

2. Chinese DF-15 MARVs traveling at Mach 6 cannot be intercepted with current supersonic Indian AAD interceptor. The technology required is completely different.

3. China is working on stealth HN-2000 cruise missiles. India has a whole host of new problems in trying to protect its interceptor batteries.

4. In a few years, J-20 stealth fighters will be ready. India has to defend its military installations against J-20s as well.

5. India has to defend against WS-2C (350km range) and WS-2D (400km range) MLRS.

6. MIRV problem. The DF-31, DF-31A, and JL-2 all carry 3 MIRVs. It's more economical for China to build MIRVed missiles than it will ever be for India to build interceptors for each warhead. Also, the DF-41 with 10 MIRVs per missile is almost ready. It will never make sense to build 10 interceptors to defend against one DF-41.

I could extend the list, but you get the point. It's a bad position to be that far behind the technological curve.

It's a nightmare to try and build a defense system against a mature missile power like China. China will either destroy your missile defense system first (e.g. stealth strike or overwhelming missile strikes), evade it with MARVs, or overwhelm it with MIRVs.

----------

As far as I can tell, the U.S. seems to have lost enthusiasm for its ballistic missile defense (BMD) system. China can build triple-MIRVed DF-31A and 10-MIRVed DF-41 ICBMs a lot faster than the U.S. can build interceptors in Alaska.

:lol: What a foolish and illogical reply! The guy has never heard of flight controls and he's posting endless garbage on Chinese threads to delude himself against fear of China.

my intellectually challenged friend, the missile will take some time to get to the carrier. At maximum range that is about 14-15 minutes of flight time.

at 35 knots a carrier will cover 14-15 kilometres in that amount of time. Do you understand or do you want me to do the math for you ????

Remember? What do you know in the first place in order to 'remember'? Considering we are the only country currently using more UAVs than the rest of the world COMBINED and that the USAF graduated more UAV controllers than aircraft pilots, what make you think we do not know how to counter UAVs? Because YOU do not 'remember'? :lol: And do you really think the US military will reveal the know-how?

Ridiculous argument. Despite what the movie 'Red October' may entertained, subs do not gang up on each other. The US have far more experience than China in submarine warfare and in any mano-a-mano engagement, go to Vegas if you want to bet on the Chinese sub.

Bunk. The US know the Chinese coastal region quite well. We go there a lot during the Cold War.

Satellites move and eventually will lose its line-of-sight. Does China have enough satellites to track? Doubtful at this time.

We have far more experience at EMCON than China does.

Enterprise’s EW Module Stays Below the Radar

Back in Apr 1986, the USS Ranger left San Diego and entered EMCON Alpha and for two weeks she conducted 'air assaults' with no one able to find her.

Tell the PLAN to try harder. Much much harder.

You mean it went whoooosh over your head and that is all you can say to cover for your lack of understanding.

:lol: The self proclaimed 'expert' in military affairs gambit at it again.
You are delusional old man, your old age is frying your brain. Leave your house to get some fresh air, china's rise is making you frustrated and angry.

Oh by the way, tell the shupa powah US military to try much much much harder if they want to beat the PLA. Last time the so called 'invinsible' US military messed with China in the Korean war, the yanks got a good ole spanking.
Wear that spanking with pride, keep it as a badge of honour.

Don't write checks your military can't cash son. Korean war should've taught you that.

Ta!

is it possible to use infrared and radar dedector by mach10..I think heat will appear
also..maneuverability is a problem at that speed..if you reduce the speed CIWS can destroy all MaRVs

is it possible to use infrared and radar dedector by mach10..I think heat will appear
also..maneuverability is a problem at that speed..if you reduce the speed CIWS can destroy all MaRVs

Heat caused by troposphere is irrelevant to DF-21D ASBM targeting

You do realize the DF-21D travels at Mach 10, which is 3,314 meters per second.

The troposphere is the densest part of the atmosphere (which comprises 80% of the total atmosphere) and it is 10km thick.

Before entering the troposphere, the radar and infrared detectors on the DF-21D can identify the location of its target. The target will be struck in 3 seconds. How far do you think a ship can move in 3 seconds? Also, the DF-21D's detectors can probably track the moving ship and predict its exact location in the next three seconds.

The heat caused by entering the troposphere is irrelevant to a DF-21D warhead.

----------

I've already previously stated a CIWS can only destroy missiles on a horizontal trajectory, not a vertical trajectory like a MARV.

Idpbp.jpg

is this ilustration of MaRV true..
heat does not appers only at troposphere..
you cant know the ship will turn rigth or left..a war ship can move at least 50 m within 3 second..
do you calculate inertia of MIRVs at Mach10?

why 88 degree of CIWS not enougth? (high:1000 meters)

is this ilustration of MaRV true..
heat does not appers only at troposphere..
you cant know the ship will turn rigth or left..a war ship can move at least 50 m within 3 second..
do you calculate inertia of MIRVs at Mach10?

why 88 degree of CIWS not enougth? (high:1000 meters)

Who cares if an aircraft carrier moved 50m linearly? Outcome doesn't change

Use your common sense. The DF-21D warhead is 10km overhead. Do you think you can move a CIWS into exact alignment in 3 seconds to shoot down a Mach 10 missile in 3-D space.

Go ahead, show me a video of a CIWS vertical shootdown of a hypersonic warhead. Tell you what, I'll make it easy for you. Show me a CIWS vertical shootdown of a mere supersonic ballistic warhead and I will be willing to concede this discussion to you.

Both Admiral Willard and a Chinese official have both stated the DF-21D ASBM can hit a slow-moving ship. You are trying to raise potential technical issues. We have already moved beyond that. If I show you the quotes, will you stop raising spurious technical issues?

----------

By the way, you said a ship can move 50m in 3 seconds. I fail to see the relevance.

Do you know the length of an aircraft carrier or do you want me to give you a citation for it?

Let me ask you a simple question. Let's assume the DF-21D warhead CAN'T determine the linear velocity of an aircraft carrier and predict its future location in 3 seconds (which is obviously ridiculous), would the DF-21D ASBM warhead still hit an aircraft carrier if it moved 50m linearly?

Heat caused by troposphere is irrelevant to DF-21D ASBM targeting

You do realize the DF-21D travels at Mach 10, which is 3,314 meters per second.

The troposphere is the densest part of the atmosphere (which comprises 80% of the total atmosphere) and it is 10km thick.

Before entering the troposphere, the radar and infrared detectors on the DF-21D can identify the location of its target. The target will be struck in 3 seconds. How far do you think a ship can move in 3 seconds? Also, the DF-21D's detectors can probably track the moving ship and predict its exact location in the next three seconds.

The heat caused by entering the troposphere is irrelevant to a DF-21D warhead.

----------

I've already previously stated a CIWS can only destroy missiles on a horizontal trajectory, not a vertical trajectory like a MARV.

let's have a look at this:

Temp, 5.0 km/sec in inertial frame, 100 km starting altitude
ballistic50.gif

It shows heating is not during the troposphere descent.
In actual fact it shows the opposite.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom