What's new

Chinese Missiles News & Discussions

May be its guideness and navigation technology from YJ-12 but its a totally different missile from YJ-12, YJ-12 supersonic sea skimming anti ship missiles with a ramjet, whereas CM-400AKG has a high flying trajectory to achieve its maximum range and not to forget that it is developed from SY-400 which is MRLS rocket and has a solid fuel roket engine instead of ramjet and has a terminal velocity of Mach 5 +

CASIC builds all three anti-ship cruise missiles: YJ-12, CM-302, and CM400-AKG

Thanks for Your explanations and even if I'm still not convinced I have the feeling we are now discussing more on semantics than on technical issues.

If indeed both are from the same design team and use certain same items but otherwise have a different propulsion, a different airframe and so on isn't this question more on what's the definition of variant??

If a J-10B uses the same IRST-device, the same HUD and other avionics as the J-11B no-one would call them a variant. Or if the FC-1 and J-10 from the same manufactor.

My point is to call something a variant, it has to share and feature certain physical details like structure and so on: the PL-8-family are variants of each other, the J-7-family or even the J-10 and so on. An A.320, A.319, A.321 for example but here I would call them at best a related development and not a version or variant.

Just my two cents.
Deino

Last edited:
YJ-18 unveiled for the 1st time?
GHVOiSL.jpg
di8Q9FC.jpg

The HQ-9 (红旗; pinyin: hóng qí, "red flag" or "red banner") is China’s new generation medium- to long-range, active radar homing surface-to-air missile.

Similar to the Russian S-300 and American Patriot systems, the HQ-9 uses a HT-233 PESA radar system. The naval HQ-9 appears to be identical to the land-based variant.
  • HQ-9A — Upgraded version, first tested in 1999 and service entry in 2001. Chinese sources claim that the HQ-9 family of systems employ much newer computing technology than imported Russian S-300PMU/PMU1/PMU2 systems, because HQ-9 is developed more than a decade later, thus allowing it to incorporate advancement in microelectronics. Due to the superior computing capability for signal processing, data processing and guidance support, this missile can have an optional semi-active radar homing (SARH) mode, because more info can be processed on board the missile itself.
  • HQ-9B — reportedly tested in February 2006. According to Jane's Information Group, this missile has a dual seeker that incorporates both SARH & infrared homing mode.
  • HQ-9C - Currently under development, incorporating active radar homing mode.
From Wiki on HQ-9 Series.

The HQ-9 (红旗; pinyin: hóng qí, "red flag" or "red banner") is China’s new generation medium- to long-range, active radar homing surface-to-air missile.

Similar to the Russian S-300 and American Patriot systems, the HQ-9 uses a HT-233 PESA radar system. The naval HQ-9 appears to be identical to the land-based variant.
  • HQ-9A — Upgraded version, first tested in 1999 and service entry in 2001. Chinese sources claim that the HQ-9 family of systems employ much newer computing technology than imported Russian S-300PMU/PMU1/PMU2 systems, because HQ-9 is developed more than a decade later, thus allowing it to incorporate advancement in microelectronics. Due to the superior computing capability for signal processing, data processing and guidance support, this missile can have an optional semi-active radar homing (SARH) mode, because more info can be processed on board the missile itself.
  • HQ-9B — reportedly tested in February 2006. According to Jane's Information Group, this missile has a dual seeker that incorporates both SARH & infrared homing mode.
  • HQ-9C - Currently under development, incorporating active radar homing mode.
From Wiki on HQ-9 Series.

The fundamental difference between HQ9 and S300 or Patriot is its active radar seeker.

Back
Top Bottom