What's new

Chinese Missiles News & Discussions

Showtime: China Reveals Two 'Carrier-Killer' Missiles

Andrew S. Erickson

September 3, 2015

Yesterday’s Beijing V-Day parade addressed multiple audiences. Among them, clearly—the U.S. Navy, the U.S. military writ large and their regional allied and partner counterparts. After years of foreign speculation and surprising skepticism about an anti-ship ballistic missile (ASBM), China has for the first time officially revealed two variants: the DF-21D and DF-26.

There were other hardware firsts, with DF-16 medium-range ballistic missile (MRBM) and YJ-12 anti-ship cruise missile (ASCM) also revealed for the first time (the latter an air-launched missile on a display truck for parading purposes). The DF-5B ICBM officially confirmed as a “MIRV-ed nuclear missile” (分导核导弹), with multiple independently targetable reentry vehicles that can greatly complicate its intercept by ballistic missile defenses. What makes these displays particularly significant: all the missiles on parade are currently in PLA service. That explains why China’s DF-41 ICBM and YJ-18 ASCM were nowhere to be found—they are not yet deployed. Otherwise, by raising concerns without demonstrating credible capabilities, China would risk reaping “the onus without the bonus.” A tremendous non-hardware-related announcement provided greater context: Xi Jinping’s statement in his speech at the parade, “I announce that China will reduce military personnel numbers by 300,000.” But what is arguably most significant in hardware terms is that Beijing used this high-profile occasion to reveal not one but two different ASBMs—both already deployed by China’s Second Artillery Force (SAF).

There was nothing subtle about the parade or its showcasing of Chinese military hardware. First, precise details of the weapons showcased and their formations were available on the Internet several days before the big event. Second, all major missiles had large English-language designators stenciled in bright white—even the most ophthalmologically challenged foreign observes could not possibly miss the deterrent message.

The parade, together with official commentary, remains available on YouTube, and from behind China’s Great Firewall for those who can’t access such foreign social media. As official Chinese-language commentary streamed on the state television channel CCTV-1, and sixteen DF-21D MRBMs rolled by in precise formation on their transporter-erector-launchers (TELs), the missile was described as an “assassin’s mace weapon” (杀手锏武器) with the ability to strike “targets on water” (水面目标). The set of sixteen DF-21Ds was further described as the “Conventional Missile Second Formation. DF-21D, road mobile anti ship ballistic missile, the assassin’s mace for maritime asymmetric warfare” (常规导弹第二方队, DF21丁是打击舰船目标的路基弹道导弹, 是我军海上非对称作战的杀手锏武器). The DF-21Ds appeared to have a longer, pointier nose cap than the DF-21C variants displayed in the previous parade.

Official commentary states that the longer-range DF-26 intermediate-range ballistic missile (IRBM) is “capable of nuclear and conventional strike” (核常兼备). This dual-payload term is particularly interesting, and the Janus-faced concept has clearly been contemplated by Chinese strategists and technicians alike for some time. In September 2006, in Xiamen, China, at the “10th Program for Science and National Security Studies Beijing Seminar on International Security” conference, I remember an unattributed paper on “核常兼备” appearing mysteriously on the publications table. That conference was co-sponsored by the Institute of Applied Physics and Computational Mathematics (IAPCM), a reclusive organization closely affiliated with China’s nuclear-weapons industry.

Official commentary elaborated that the DF-26 is “capable of targeting large- and medium-sized targets on water” (打击大中型水面目标). This “Guam Killer” missile is credited with 3,000-4,000-km (1,800-2,500 mile) range, sufficient to strike U.S. bases on Guam. The set of sixteen DF-26 missiles was further described as the “Conventional-/Nuclear-capable formation. The DF-26 can perform medium-to-long-range precision attack on both land and large-to-medium-sized maritime targets. A new weapon for strategic deterrence” (核常兼备导弹方队, 东26能对陆上重要目标和海上大中型舰船实施中远程精确打击, 是我军战略威慑力量体系中的新型武器).

Showtime: China Reveals Two 'Carrier-Killer' Missiles | The National Interest

Showtime: China Reveals Two 'Carrier-Killer' Missiles

Andrew S. Erickson

September 3, 2015

Yesterday’s Beijing V-Day parade addressed multiple audiences. Among them, clearly—the U.S. Navy, the U.S. military writ large and their regional allied and partner counterparts. After years of foreign speculation and surprising skepticism about an anti-ship ballistic missile (ASBM), China has for the first time officially revealed two variants: the DF-21D and DF-26.

There were other hardware firsts, with DF-16 medium-range ballistic missile (MRBM) and YJ-12 anti-ship cruise missile (ASCM) also revealed for the first time (the latter an air-launched missile on a display truck for parading purposes). The DF-5B ICBM officially confirmed as a “MIRV-ed nuclear missile” (分导核导弹), with multiple independently targetable reentry vehicles that can greatly complicate its intercept by ballistic missile defenses. What makes these displays particularly significant: all the missiles on parade are currently in PLA service. That explains why China’s DF-41 ICBM and YJ-18 ASCM were nowhere to be found—they are not yet deployed. Otherwise, by raising concerns without demonstrating credible capabilities, China would risk reaping “the onus without the bonus.” A tremendous non-hardware-related announcement provided greater context: Xi Jinping’s statement in his speech at the parade, “I announce that China will reduce military personnel numbers by 300,000.” But what is arguably most significant in hardware terms is that Beijing used this high-profile occasion to reveal not one but two different ASBMs—both already deployed by China’s Second Artillery Force (SAF).

There was nothing subtle about the parade or its showcasing of Chinese military hardware. First, precise details of the weapons showcased and their formations were available on the Internet several days before the big event. Second, all major missiles had large English-language designators stenciled in bright white—even the most ophthalmologically challenged foreign observes could not possibly miss the deterrent message.

The parade, together with official commentary, remains available on YouTube, and from behind China’s Great Firewall for those who can’t access such foreign social media. As official Chinese-language commentary streamed on the state television channel CCTV-1, and sixteen DF-21D MRBMs rolled by in precise formation on their transporter-erector-launchers (TELs), the missile was described as an “assassin’s mace weapon” (杀手锏武器) with the ability to strike “targets on water” (水面目标). The set of sixteen DF-21Ds was further described as the “Conventional Missile Second Formation. DF-21D, road mobile anti ship ballistic missile, the assassin’s mace for maritime asymmetric warfare” (常规导弹第二方队, DF21丁是打击舰船目标的路基弹道导弹, 是我军海上非对称作战的杀手锏武器). The DF-21Ds appeared to have a longer, pointier nose cap than the DF-21C variants displayed in the previous parade.

Official commentary states that the longer-range DF-26 intermediate-range ballistic missile (IRBM) is “capable of nuclear and conventional strike” (核常兼备). This dual-payload term is particularly interesting, and the Janus-faced concept has clearly been contemplated by Chinese strategists and technicians alike for some time. In September 2006, in Xiamen, China, at the “10th Program for Science and National Security Studies Beijing Seminar on International Security” conference, I remember an unattributed paper on “核常兼备” appearing mysteriously on the publications table. That conference was co-sponsored by the Institute of Applied Physics and Computational Mathematics (IAPCM), a reclusive organization closely affiliated with China’s nuclear-weapons industry.

Official commentary elaborated that the DF-26 is “capable of targeting large- and medium-sized targets on water” (打击大中型水面目标). This “Guam Killer” missile is credited with 3,000-4,000-km (1,800-2,500 mile) range, sufficient to strike U.S. bases on Guam. The set of sixteen DF-26 missiles was further described as the “Conventional-/Nuclear-capable formation. The DF-26 can perform medium-to-long-range precision attack on both land and large-to-medium-sized maritime targets. A new weapon for strategic deterrence” (核常兼备导弹方队, 东26能对陆上重要目标和海上大中型舰船实施中远程精确打击, 是我军战略威慑力量体系中的新型武器).

Showtime: China Reveals Two 'Carrier-Killer' Missiles | The National Interest

LOL this guy thinks the DF-41 is not deployed.
What a noob.

LOL this guy thinks the DF-41 is not deployed.
What a noob.

Nothing proof that it is deployed. DF-41 just carried out it's 4th test flight, it's still too early for a opertaional deployment.

Let's see if it will be there in 2019's parade.

Henri K.

Nothing proof that it is deployed. DF-41 just carried out it's 4th test flight, it's still too early for a opertaional deployment.

Let's see if it will be there in 2019's parade.

Henri K.

Just because it's not in a parade doesn't mean it's not deployed. That's the thinking of a noob.

That article was from Andrew Erickson. PDF members know more about military than that guy. He was the guy that said China will have to wait for a long time before WS-10 are equipped in Chinese fighter jets. Within 1 year, J-11B, J-11D, J-16 are equipped with the WS-10 :lol:

WantChinaTimes and StrategyPage have more credibility than Andrew Erickson.

He is one of those people that think saying a few fancy military jargons makes you a know-it-all 'expert'. It's like when you speak a few good English words you are considered 'smart'.

He doesn't know anything more than what many members on this forum knows. He just happens to be allowed to give his opinion on mainstream media and people believe it as the 'truth'.

For sure, not in the parade doesn't mean it is not deployed, i.e. YJ-18.

However, I maintained my position saying that DF-41 is not deployed yet. Put into service an ICBM only after 4 flight tests, to reuse a word I see frequently now in chinese internet : 这不科学。

:laugh:

Henri K.

I think one of the biggest surprises of the parade is actually the DF-5B.

Earlier this year, some people noticed that the Pentagon report on China mentioned a MIRVed version of the DF-5.

Most 'experts' in the US arms control community dismissed the development. Many thought China simply put the smaller DF-31 warhead on the vintage DF-5, resulting in maybe 3 to 4 warheads.

Now it is obviously clear the DF-5B is something new.

FxFAh48.jpg

yKjfP76.jpg

OZDexjC.jpg

6KSYoxK.jpg

The shroud is completely different.

The post boost vehicle is wider in diameter.

It wouldn't surprise me if some of the rocket stages and other components have changed.

The DF-5B is now one of the largest silo-based MIRVed ICBMs in the world today. A very interesting development.

Last edited:
Finally not a surprise, as DF-5B is unveiled long time ago but people didn't believe on that because they remain on their mindset 15 years backward thinking that China doesn't master MiRVs technologies.

Personnaly I knew it's existence since 2009

CahAS15.jpg

And fully confirmed till 2012, as more and more R&D documents mentionned it, for example this one :

DZxm6L0.jpg

The big surprise for me is DF-26, especially fir it's anti-ship capability.

Henri K.

Imagine that India says the same thing (I don't know if they have already said that or not, sorry for ignorance), and China detects a MRBM launched. (ICBM is not necessary from India to China main cities)

Will your governers take the risk to admit that it is not nuclear ? Allow me to have a doubt on it.

But I would prefer stop the discussion here because we will make round and round without conclusion. :cheers:

Henri K.

@Beast ( post # 358 ) has made a valid point on China's "no-first-use" nuclear policy which has pointed squarely on the error of your logic

I presume India may have the same thing but if we really have to go to war with India, I think the engagement will very much be conventional warfares

You dont need to reply if you accept my comment

images

Imagine that India says the same thing (I don't know if they have already said that or not, sorry for ignorance), and China detects a MRBM launched. (ICBM is not necessary from India to China main cities)

Will your governers take the risk to admit that it is not nuclear ? Allow me to have a doubt on it.

But I would prefer stop the discussion here because we will make round and round without conclusion. :cheers:

Henri K.
Yes, China will believe that and China has the abilities to strike right back at India if hit by nuclear attack. Far more importantly, India is nuclear inferior and missile inferior to China. India is not stupid to attempt that. A nuclear all out by India with MRBM is unlikely unless India risk being totally annihilated by China nuclear weapon. The advantage is on Chinese side. China possess the most advance conventional strike ballistic missile in the world and you can see large number of conventional ballistic missile deploy. If will be silly to think after China spend so much money on these system just to only pause and think of possible escalation to end of world scenario. Of Cos fitting ASBM system on DF-31 is a bit exaggerate on my part but is possible and not done so due to restriction. But will not rule out if some nasty war shook China.

Yes, China will believe that and China has the abilities to strike right back at India if hit by nuclear attack. Far more importantly, India is nuclear inferior and missile inferior to China. India is not stupid to attempt that. A nuclear all out by India with MRBM is unlikely unless India risk being totally annihilated by China nuclear weapon. The advantage is on Chinese side. China possess the most advance conventional strike ballistic missile in the world and you can see large number of conventional ballistic missile deploy. If will be silly to think after China spend so much money on these system just to only pause and think of possible escalation to end of world scenario. Of Cos fitting ASBM system on DF-31 is a bit exaggerate on my part but is possible and not done so due to restriction. But will not rule out if some nasty war shook China.

You should check this out Understanding Western Media's Take on China's Victory Parade | Page 3 :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom