What's new

Chinese Metro Transport News & Updates

BYD enters urban rail market

14 Oct 2016

CHINA: Bus, car and battery manufacturer BYD unveiled its first monorail at a 4·4 km test track at its headquarters in Shenzhen on October 13.

SkyRail is the result of a five-year 5bn yuan R&D project and is aimed at small and medium sized cities, as well as tourist attractions and central business districts. It offers a capacity of up to 30 000 passengers/h per direction and a maximum speed of 80 km/h.

‘As a rail transport option with relatively small passenger capacity, SkyRail can complement existing public transport systems to create a layered transport system encompassing underground, roadway and elevated elements’, said BYD President Wang Chuanfu.

The first customer for SkyRail is the city of Shantou in Guangdong province, where a 250 km network is planned.

tn_cn-byd_skyrail_2_Xinhua.jpg

tn_cn-byd_skyrail_3_Xinhua.jpg

tn_cn-byd_skyrail_4_Xinhua.jpg

skyrail1_webready.jpg

skyrail2_webready.jpg

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...onorail-System
The interior is much more spacious than I expected.

Last edited:
Andrew, as I am an overseas Chinese, I can't read or write Chinese. Can you please translate it?
Btw, that's a gorgeous trainset. Is that real or an artist's impression?
well, the content is pretty much about what the title says......nothing substantial

China's maglev transit initiative picks up steam
By Ma Danning (People's Daily Online) 14:47, October 31, 2016

FOREIGN201610311452000176639534617.jpg

Shanghai maglev train, file photo

China’s largest railway enterprise has shelled out 2 billion RMB to establish the country’s first magnetic levitation, or maglev, transportation company, marking the country’s push to speed up its industrialization and commercial maglev infrastructure, Thepaper.cn reported.

China Railway Construction Corporation Limited (CRCC) has established its subsidiary, China Railway Maglev Transportation  Investment  & Construction Co., LTD (CRMT), located in Wuhan, Hubei province. The subsidiary carries out research on maglev technology for passenger and cargo transportation, in addition to planning, managing, building and investing in maglev projects.

According to Qian Qingquan, an academician with the Chinese Academy of Engineering and a professor at Southwest Jiaotong University, China has put original, domestic technology to work building a medium-low-speed maglev train (traveling at 200 km/h), as well as a high-speed one (600 km/h). Research into vacuum tube trains that travel at up to 4,000 km/h is also underway.

The Changsha Maglev Express in central China’s Hunan province is China’s first domestically built maglev line that uses homegrown technology. The line stretches over 18.55 kilometers and takes 19.5 minutes to complete. According to Xia Guobin, vice president of CRCC, the line that started trial operation on May 6 had safely operated for 175 days as of Oct. 27. With a steady passenger flow of 6,800, over 1.2 million passengers have ridden the line so far. It has filled a void and verified the safety and commercial potential of maglev projects in China.

Lei Jiamin, president of CRMT, said that more than 10 cities in China are currently planning maglev railways. These cities include Changsha, home to China’s first maglev line, Qingdao and Beijing. Beijing is building its first medium-low-speed maglev line S1, which will enter operation at the end of 2016, according to the Beijing Railway Construction Cooperation. It will take only 10 minutes to travel 10.2 kilometers from the city’s western suburb Shimenying to Pingguoyuan station on city subway Line 1.

According to CRMT, future low-speed maglev projects will primarily aim to link large cities with their satellite cities, as well as suburbs to downtown areas. They will also be used in second- and third-tier Chinese cities as a substitute for subways. Currently, China has 142 cities with more than 1 million residents, but only around 30 cities have subways.

China's maglev transit initiative picks up steam
By Ma Danning (People's Daily Online) 14:47, October 31, 2016

FOREIGN201610311452000176639534617.jpg

Shanghai maglev train, file photo

China’s largest railway enterprise has shelled out 2 billion RMB to establish the country’s first magnetic levitation, or maglev, transportation company, marking the country’s push to speed up its industrialization and commercial maglev infrastructure, Thepaper.cn reported.

China Railway Construction Corporation Limited (CRCC) has established its subsidiary, China Railway Maglev Transportation  Investment  & Construction Co., LTD (CRMT), located in Wuhan, Hubei province. The subsidiary carries out research on maglev technology for passenger and cargo transportation, in addition to planning, managing, building and investing in maglev projects.

According to Qian Qingquan, an academician with the Chinese Academy of Engineering and a professor at Southwest Jiaotong University, China has put original, domestic technology to work building a medium-low-speed maglev train (traveling at 200 km/h), as well as a high-speed one (600 km/h). Research into vacuum tube trains that travel at up to 4,000 km/h is also underway.

The Changsha Maglev Express in central China’s Hunan province is China’s first domestically built maglev line that uses homegrown technology. The line stretches over 18.55 kilometers and takes 19.5 minutes to complete. According to Xia Guobin, vice president of CRCC, the line that started trial operation on May 6 had safely operated for 175 days as of Oct. 27. With a steady passenger flow of 6,800, over 1.2 million passengers have ridden the line so far. It has filled a void and verified the safety and commercial potential of maglev projects in China.

Lei Jiamin, president of CRMT, said that more than 10 cities in China are currently planning maglev railways. These cities include Changsha, home to China’s first maglev line, Qingdao and Beijing. Beijing is building its first medium-low-speed maglev line S1, which will enter operation at the end of 2016, according to the Beijing Railway Construction Cooperation. It will take only 10 minutes to travel 10.2 kilometers from the city’s western suburb Shimenying to Pingguoyuan station on city subway Line 1.

According to CRMT, future low-speed maglev projects will primarily aim to link large cities with their satellite cities, as well as suburbs to downtown areas. They will also be used in second- and third-tier Chinese cities as a substitute for subways. Currently, China has 142 cities with more than 1 million residents, but only around 30 cities have subways.
@rott

Andrew, as I am an overseas Chinese, I can't read or write Chinese. Can you please translate it?
Btw, that's a gorgeous trainset. Is that real or an artist's impression?

Time to learn some Chinese, and you will not regret. Even those old time colonial masters are pushing Chinese to their own kids now.

Time to learn some Chinese, and you will not regret. Even those old time colonial masters are pushing Chinese to their own kids now.
Hehe... I will try. My wife reads, writes and speaks. I can pick it up from her.
I can just speak hakka and a bit of Pudong Hua, learned it when I was working in China.

Hehe... I will try. My wife reads, writes and speaks. I can pick it up from her.
I can just speak hakka and a bit of Pudong Hua, learned it when I was working in China.

I tried to teach Chinese to my boys. They doubted the usefulness, now they are motivated. With Chinese and English, you can communicate with half of humanity.

Wuhan's first BRT to open in December
屏幕快照 2016-10-31 20.46.16.jpg

BRT in other Chinese cities

Jinan, Shandong Province
济南市快速公交线路图,.png

Hangzhou, Zhejiang Province
现在也已经发展至B1、B2、B3、B4四条线, 这是线路图(含8条支线),发展至2020年将有18条。.jpg

Changzhou, Jiangsu Province
145435mltgu338ou344o3g.jpg

Guangzhou BRT, Guangdong Province
1503049d2f647phpzp42tk.jpg

Beijing BRT