What's new

Chinese Martial Arts

gung fu is said to be able to produce massive amounts of power, in a lot of styles there is not so much power, however it can come down to the practitioner also...... but really, whats the use of power if you cannot adapt? if your held to a formal way of fighting that cannot change? you express a philosophy, not yourself.

yea, i agree with this. i don't see why kung fu can't adapt. bruce lee is a cultural icon in china, i'm sure if someone wanted to reform kung fu to make it more adaptable he would simply need to preach bruce lee's teachings.

kung fu needs to be turned into a competition sport, just like MMA.

yes, the reason being that most are not adaptable is because they conform to stances, they are held within the bounds of the art form they learn, bruce lee said in a fight you have to change as the fight goes on, adapt to your enemies style.... chinese gung fu does not generally do this, as they fight the enemie with the style they know, they base every attack, every defence, on what they have learnt... they do not adapt in the way of their opponents style.. i guess in a way, its an arrogant form of martial arts... when you are in a fight, you do not always defence the same punches or kicks etc... so you have to change and adapt to the differing stances, styles etc rather then a uniform procedure that you have made instinct

jeet kune do - the way of the intercepting fist... its bruce lee's version of martial arts that he created. bruce lees philosophy was that to do martial arts, is to fully express oneself, and he noted that martial arts its normal form was too formal, so he wanted it to be more fluidic and adaptable, hence his qoutes about being like water

the one you are thinking of would be wing chun.

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 PM ----------

difference being, bruce lee was a master... not a normal person who does martial arts....

gung fu is said to be able to produce massive amounts of power, in a lot of styles there is not so much power, however it can come down to the practitioner also...... but really, whats the use of power if you cannot adapt? if your held to a formal way of fighting that cannot change? you express a philosophy, not yourself.

i'm serious, but among most people, there's 2 ways to win, none of which has to do with martial arts. 1st is brute strength. 2nd is a pain submission by any means necessary including breaking fingers, choking, biting, eye poking, etc. Even black belts in street fights are still not well trained enough for it to matter against these 2 tactics.

brute strength.
I'm no martial artist but may have gotten into some scuffle here and there. I think hand speed and rotation of hips to put the full power of your body is more effective than brute strength, at least when it comes to punching.

yea, i agree with this. i don't see why kung fu can't adapt. bruce lee is a cultural icon in china, i'm sure if someone wanted to reform kung fu to make it more adaptable he would simply need to preach bruce lee's teachings.

kung fu needs to be turned into a competition sport, just like MMA.

bruce... i trained with his students student for a short period... i wouldn't want to fight that man if he was hog tied and i had a gun.

well it your opinion man.

but from my experience, brute strength doesnt always win, neither does "pain submission" you talk about.

they are however ways to beat your opponent should you be able to get a good hit in, or break/twist etc parts of your opponent.

there are an enormous number of factors that can decide the outcome of a fight,

i've known people really strong, who got their arse whipped by a guy half their height, half their strength... but they had speed and technique... the faster something is thrown, the more powerful it hits... so effectively, the smaller faster guy, had closed that gap in brute strength and the bigger guy was unable to get any decent attacks be it even pain submission attacks in.

For people that think Chuck Norris is tough! :P

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm no martial artist but may have gotten into some scuffle here and there. I think hand speed and rotation of hips to put the full power of your body is more effective than brute strength, at least when it comes to punching.

All those things requires a strong core, Bruce Lee is a strong proponent of training your abs well. Even arm wrestling requires good abdominal muscles.

Bruce Lee also viewed fitness as an important part of being a Martial artist. This came from him being challenged by other Martial artists in the local Asian community in the US for teaching arts to non asians. He won the challenged but was thoroughly worn out and felt that the fight took too much longer than what he had expected.

An example of what he did to train, he called this flag raising.
1694xzm.jpg

Personally I think the movie fight choreographers of the 70s could have done a better job.

but from my experience, brute strength doesnt always win, neither does "pain submission" you talk about.

they are however ways to beat your opponent should you be able to get a good hit in, or break/twist etc parts of your opponent.

i've known people really strong, who got their arse whipped by a guy half their height, half their strength... but they had speed and technique... the faster something is thrown, the more powerful it hits... so effectively, the smaller faster guy, had closed that gap in brute strength and the bigger guy was unable to get any decent attacks be it even pain submission attacks in.

seriously, i'm talking about 99% of people. among the top 1% elite martial artists and athletes, yes, training is critically important. among 99% of people on the street, they are not well trained enough for their techniques to matter against a much stronger opponent. maybe the small guy was one of those elite trained martial artists, and the big guy was part of the 99%.

this is just from experience, because i have 4 years of training in taekwondo which is utterly useless for defense purposes... only useful as an exercise. Taekwondo is the most useless martial arts in the world for defense as it is too limited to unstable stances (KICKING), and not as good as Tai Chi for exercise.

The problem with Kung Fu is the attitude towards it. Chinese Kung Fu teaches you also to be kind and gentle, and also passive! The students may become deadly fighters but they're mindset is too timid. Competition needs to be encouraged in Chinese martial arts schools, and the best students need to be rewarded.

Sadly if you think the purpose of Shaolin Kungfu is to beat the crap out of people you missed the point have your Sifu beat you

In the old days people fight with weapons, Kung Fu movements like wushu have been adapted to avoid getting hit by weapons, but there are different style of kung fu that involve close combat like Shuai Qiao, or now styles that are made to suit ring matches, like sanda. Bruce Lee is said to be the father of MMA, because he discarded what didn't work and incorporated what works, difference is Bruce lee style is adapted to street fighting, MMA is adopted to ring fighting, with many restrictions in place.

seriously, i'm talking about 99% of people. among the top 1% elite martial artists and athletes, yes, training is critically important. among 99% of people on the street, they are not well trained enough for their techniques to matter against a much stronger opponent. maybe the small guy was one of those elite trained martial artists, and the big guy was part of the 99%.

this is just from experience, because i have 4 years of training in taekwondo which is utterly useless for defense purposes... only useful as an exercise. Taekwondo is the most useless martial arts in the world for defense as it is too limited to unstable stances (KICKING), and not as good as Tai Chi for exercise.

Agree about Taekwondo, it's mainly kicking but lacks power, but still a useful technique to learn. Here a Taekwondo master gets schooled by a real monk..

The Shaolin monk in the video is Shi Xing Hong, here is the video of him performing when he was younger:

kung fu,Pu Dao by shi xing hong - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:

Then those four years are wasted upon you. I am a Tae-kwon do stylist in the old Chon-ji school. A black belt if that matter to anyone. Any martial art can become worthless if the practitioner does not exercise common sense as much as he/she exercise his movements.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom