What's new

Chinese Martial Arts

Wong Fei Hung - Hero of China

Last edited by a moderator:
Much of China's martial arts is indigenously, though Yoga did influence the authors 易筋經. Nothing wrong with some Indian influence; however, it irks me that White supremacists often claim Greek origin to the Indian arts.

Mythology is that Parasurama when he brought first settlements in kerala taught kalari and established 21 schools. He is the guy who defeated the then ruling class kshatriyas. We used to have good martial arts tradition till british deliberately destroyed the kalaris and made it illegal to carry weapons after malabar wars of pazhassi. There was atleast 18 seperate fighting styles and 108 training centers for each till then. The British after having significant trouble keeping malabar under control identified the martial arts tradition as one of the problems and made it illegal to conduct kalaris and carry swords in public. They forced the nair community the traditional fighting units by appeasing them with land and become land administators . Till then even land disputes used to be settled with UFC type sword fights to death with heavy prizes for winners.
Still chinese took it to another level by their dedication and we all admire jackie chan and jet lee :-)

Master of Zen

Last edited by a moderator:
Mythology is that Parasurama when he brought first settlements in kerala taught kalari and established 21 schools. He is the guy who defeated the then ruling class kshatriyas. We used to have good martial arts tradition till british deliberately destroyed the kalaris and made it illegal to carry weapons after malabar wars of pazhassi. There was atleast 18 seperate fighting styles and 108 training centers for each till then. The British after having significant trouble keeping malabar under control identified the martial arts tradition as one of the problems and made it illegal to conduct kalaris and carry swords in public. They forced the nair community the traditional fighting units by appeasing them with land and become land administators . Till then even land disputes used to be settled with UFC type sword fights to death with heavy prizes for winners.
Still chinese took it to another level by their dedication and we all admire jackie chan and jet lee :-)
Yet Western bigots insist martial art was brought to India by Alexander the Great, as if colored people can't create anything without the teaching of "enlightened master race".

Yet Western bigots insist martial art was brought to India by Alexander the Great, as if colored people can't create anything without the teaching of "enlightened master race".

I find the post offensive.

you have to be open to all views and if possible judge based upon thoughts and evidence.

it is very easy to provide a counter argument instead of be insulting.

I am Greek and growing up i never heard any greek saying Greeks spread martial arts to the east.

First time i heard that it was on discovery channel.

if however you want to form a good solid opinion it is very easy.

firsts see if the Greeks had any martial arts back then. As far as I know and it is established in literature they did. second see if the east (any nation) had some form of martial arts prior or at the same time. (i am not versed in eastern history so I won't say yes or no here)

if both the above are true then Alexander spread nothing. If one of the two is not true then you can deduce the flow of martial arts.

personally I don't care either way. it had to start somewhere.. who cares where.

I find the post offensive.

you have to be open to all views and if possible judge based upon thoughts and evidence.

it is very easy to provide a counter argument instead of be insulting.

I am Greek and growing up i never heard any greek saying Greeks spread martial arts to the east.

First time i heard that it was on discovery channel.

if however you want to form a good solid opinion it is very easy.

firsts see if the Greeks had any martial arts back then. As far as I know and it is established in literature they did. second see if the east (any nation) had some form of martial arts prior or at the same time. (i am not versed in eastern history so I won't say yes or no here)

if both the above are true then Alexander spread nothing. If one of the two is not true then you can deduce the flow of martial arts.

personally I don't care either way. it had to start somewhere.. who cares where.
Glad to know you Greeks never made such ludicrous claim.
Now that you mentioned Discovery Channel, the claim probably originated as Anglos tried to pat their bloated yet fragile ego.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom