What's new

Chinese Foreign Affairs News & Discussions

So the first thing we want is leadership in Aisa, or better, leadership of aisa-africa. Can india abide that? If you can, we could form a US-canada relationship----assuming the potential of india, I think you would not agree.

Wow so you want leadership at any cost? Tell me any country who don't have a dream to be no. 1 or lead their region? So if you can wish leadership then why can't we wish to do same and wish to lead world?

Can india abide that?

And what do you mean by this? Can you abide this? Can you leave your will to take leadership of world? You are indirectly saying that china wants leadership at any cost and we can be friend to india only if india leave his will to lead india and choose to be a puppet nation for china. How can you think like that?

Secondly, for our influence in SE,NE asia and our own energy security, the control over India occean and Southern china sea is essential for China. The basest level should be our own safe passage through the Malacca , the highest level should be the ability of denial to all other passage through the Occean if we dictated it so----Does not mean that we will ever do it, Just like the US, it is not about what you do, but what you can do.

Once that was achieved, NE nation, like Japan, korea will fall to our camp lilke the apple in autumn.

There are many nations has their interests in other nation's soil and sea but that doesn't mean they starts creating naval or military bases to encircle those countries or frighten them by your power. You are directly saying that we have interests in Indian ocean and hence either india should share it with us or we'll take it by force. Indian ocean is not anybody's personal property and India has got its' natural leadership and ownership and you can't deny this.

Lets we imaging every country has a globle of influence and a globle of interests. our globle of interests has reached far far to every corner in the world. The most important points is: 1 NE aisa, 2 MEest, 3 africa 4 N america 5 EU. But now our globle of influence are locked inside the NE by US and cannot go further away from our border. And no one outside our influence globle would dare to join us because US has every possible leverage to dictate them--from aid to embargo to invasion. So when the ultimate confliction between us and US came, they will certainly fall to their camp whether they like it or not.

NE, ME EU, NA all are the strongest fortress of US which we cannot take by conventional means. But for NE and ME, there is SE and SA, which has always been chaotic and weak in US influence and that is where we can take. SE asia and S asia connects the world energy pool to the world factory, everyone with the sanity would understand that dominance over these two area would neutralize the US dominance over NE and ME.

I was thinking that china is a threat is just a thinking and not a reality but after reading your views I'm sure that you are the most overconfident fool who thinks that only he has intelligence and power and others are weak. Do you think that if you go ahead on your plan India would just see and do nothing? Do you believe that India can't have any solution? You should reconsider your thinking.

can india abide our dominance of south east aisa?
Why should India abide your dominance in their region? Can you do the same? You have just one two advantage, one is population and another is economy but you are directly underestimating world's second largest population and fast growing economy here.

can india share the dominance of india occean with us?
Can you share chinese ocean with india? If yes then India too can. If NO then it's impossible for you and for us too.

can we trust india as the greater share holder of india occean?
You won't get any share of indian ocean as it's belongs to india and india has authority to use it.

can india trust us as the greater share holder of SE aisa?
can we cooperate to jam US out of these two area?

These two questions become useless after reading your question and my answer.

You are actually suffering with NAZI philosophy and syndrome of expansionism. You directly saying we can't see stronger india hence we can't be friend. Your overconfidence is reminding me Adolf Hitler who had suffered same thinking that "it's just a rotten structure, just a kick would down whole structure".

If you thinks same then also read the result of this. My good advise to you "DON'T CONSIDER INDIA AS A ROTTEN STRUCTURE WHICH CAN BE DOWN BY A KICK!! IF YOU DOES THEN YOU WON'T HAVE LEGS!!".:disagree:

China gets an ashram near Beijing

newPic_4069_jpg_275871f.jpg

Sri Sri Ravishankar, founder of the Art of Living, inaugurated an Art of Living ashram near Beijing on Monday.

On Monday, the People’s Republic of China got its first ashram.

Located a two-hour drive away from here and nestled amid the industrial suburbs of this fast-expanding metropolis, the 165-acre retreat for yoga and meditation was opened by Sri Sri Ravishankar’s Art of Living foundation. Billing itself as the first authentic Indian retreat in a country where spirituality is on the rise, the ashram will offer a range of courses.

“There is a yearning for spiritual thought in today’s China, and this centre will provide people [with] a path to have cleaner, calmer and happier lives,” Sri Sri Ravishankar told The Hindu.

This is his first visit to China. On Monday, he interacted with religious leaders as well as officials of the Communist Party, who had given sanction for the project. The centre will accommodate 160 students at a time. The teachers, who are from all over China, had undergone training in India.

On Sunday, the centre held a ceremony with dance performances and lectures. It was attended by around 500 people. The organisers said they could have received a greater audience “of more than 3,000,” but doing so would have required a special permission from the local authorities.

Interaction

Most of the questions from the Chinese audience in an interaction with Sri Sri Ravishankar on Sunday revolved round how people could deal with the stress of modern life and preserving family values in a society that is being increasingly influenced by Western ideas.

Among those who attended was Man Hu, a middle-aged entrepreneur from Shanghai, who runs a manufacturing plant. “Like everyone else in today’s China, I am under great stress and looking for a way to manage by life in a better way and find some purpose,” she said.

Those connected with the project said they were surprised by the positive response from the authorities, who are usually careful about allowing foreign institutions, particularly those with spiritual leanings, to spread their word in China.

On Monday, Sri Sri Ravishankar met with Chen Haosu, a former vice-minister in the Propaganda Department and the president of the Chinese People’s Association for Friendship with Foreign Countries (CPAFFC), which invited him to China. “India and China are naturally close, in culture, family values, music and dance,” he told Mr. Chen. “The East has a lot to offer to the world to counter the stress and ills of society that the West is facing.”

“Great expectations”

Mr. Chen said he had “great expectations” of the visit. “We hope this will bring happiness to people. Chinese people have an enthusiasm and passion for Indian culture. In the past 30 years, we have seen fast development of the Chinese economy. Now, people will also require more spiritual activities.”

Sri Sri Ravishankar said the centre would look to engage with the Chinese civil society, and even involve itself, as it has in the United States, Canada and Germany where it has centres, in environmental campaigns such as tree-planting drives. It is also in talks with the local police here to involve itself in a drug rehabilitation programme.

As Sri Sri Ravishankar left Monday’s meeting with Chinese officials, he was surprised by a gift he did not quite expect, and one that was at odds with the message of peace he was looking to bring to China — a bamboo panel with engravings from Sun Tzu’s Art of War.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/international/article851154.ece

India and China to begin high-level meetings ahead of Chinese PM visit

Published: Saturday, Nov 13, 2010, 21:36 IST

A series of high-level meetings, starting from external affairs minister S M Krishna's bilateral with his Chinese counterpart Yang Jiechi, will take place between India and China ahead of Premier Wen Jiabao's visit to New Delhi in the mid of next month.

India's concerns over the presence of Chinese troops in P0K, the issue of stapled visas to residents of Jammu and Kashmir, among other issues are expected to dominate the agenda of these high-level bilaterals, which are going to set the tone for the meeting between the Premiers of the two countries during Wen's India visit, officials said.

Krishna, who is arriving in China tomorrow for the meeting of the foreign ministers of the three-nation Russia, India and China (RIC) grouping, will also hold a bilateral meeting with his Chinese counterpart here.

Krishna is expected to take up a number of issues, including US President Barack Obama's endorsement of India's bid for permanent membership of the UN Security Council, which has left only China, among the veto-wielding members of the UN Security Council, to make its stand clear.

The other four — US, Russia, UK and France — have already conveyed their consent for India's bid.

India's concerns over reports of the presence of troops in P0K are also expected to figure in the talks in the run-up to Wen's visit, Indian officials here told Press Trust of India.

India has already conveyed its concerns to China following reports in the US media about a large presence of Chinese troops in the region.

China subsequently informed Indian Ambassador S Jaishankar that Chinese personnel were present in Gilgit and Baltistan only to carry out relief activities for flood affected victims.

But Indian officials said India's concerns in this regard persisted, especially over personnel building projects in P0K as it is a disputed area.

Also relating to Kashmir is the contentious stapled visa policy of China for residents of Jammu and Kashmir.

India had put on hold defence exchanges with China following denial of visa to General Lt Gen B S Jaswal on the ground that he headed troops in Jammu and Kashmir which China regards as a disputed area.

Krishna's talks with Yang will be followed by the annual strategic dialogue with the Chinese foreign ministry in Beijing on November 16, for which foreign secretary Nirupama Rao is accompanying the external affairs minister.

Rao would hold talks with Chinese vice foreign minister Zhang Zhijun and also call on Yang for another round of talks.

Her visit would be followed by the visit of National Security Advisor (NSA) Shivshankar Menon who would hold the 14th round of border talks with Chinese special representative state councilor Dai Binggu on November 29 here.

The meetings are expected to prepare adequate ground work for Wen, who Indian officials hope, would address the concerns that emerged as major road blocks for development of Sino-India ties.

Hopes of a movement towards resolution of the issues were raised after the recent meeting in Hanoi between Wen and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on sidelines of the East Asia Summit during which the Chinese Premier announced his visit to India before which the two sides should address the mutual concerns.

The issues being flagged by India include more trade access to Indian goods and services to address the skewed trade balance.

India wants access for IT, pharmaceuticals, agro products and engineering goods and has conducted several awareness campaigns all over China during the past few months to scout for business.

India and China to begin high-level meetings ahead of Chinese PM visit - World - DNA

2 more years at max, Indian Chinese friendship will be visible.

Kumarajiva’s Passage

Dunhuang’s majestic Buddhist murals ought to be known better here
M.S. GILL

budhra_illus_20101122.jpg

Recently, I spent two days in Shanghai, and felt like doing something different, seeing some unknown part of this vast country. Buddhism was taken long ago to China, by Chinese monks, and it flourished and expanded there, and beyond, with regular sustenance from the monks of Nalanda university and other great teachers from India. In Tibet and China, they watered the plant of this great faith, with the teachings and scriptures which the monks had brought from India. I had read of a famous set of Buddhist caves, much like those in Ajanta, deep in the Gobi desert, far west of Beijing, in a place called Dunhuang.

From Shanghai, I flew for many hours, glued to the window, to see the great desert. The dunes were mountainous. Occasionally, there was a green valley sandwiched between the dunes. Eventually, I came over flat lands, flew over some irrigated squares of agriculture, with summer crops, and landed at a huge airfield. The China of Shanghai and Beijing was very far away.

The next day, I went to see the grottoes. A wide and straight highway ran from the town to the sand dunes, located five km away. The sand mountains enclosed a small oasis lake, called the ‘Moon lake’. Tourists from around the world were climbing the sand dunes and sand-skating down. Others were riding Central Asian double-humped camels. Dunhuang and the Moon lake comprise the oasis, for which the caravans from Kashgar and Khotan steered themselves across the great desert, navigating by the stars. From there, they carried on eastwards to Lanzhou, Xian and beyond to the coast. It was but natural that Dunhuang became a centre of Buddhist culture.

In the gravelly sand-packed hills, caves were carved from about 400 AD, over centuries, and a Buddhist establishment came up. The Mogao grottoes are said to be dated from around 366 AD, when the first of the caves was carved by the monk Le Zun. There are many more nearby, in other hills of the Mingsha mountains. The surviving caves today can be traced back to 430 AD, and originated from the Indian Chaitya caves. Three of these have large sculptures of the Buddha, the largest being 34.5 metres. This is second only to the great Buddha of Leshan, 71 m tall. In one cave in an oblong chamber rests a sculpture of the Sakyamuni in nirvana.

The paintings are amazing; most of them are so carefully preserved that you get complete scenes of the life of the monks, the Buddhist Jataka stories, even pictures of rich donors. Indian monks and princes, who over the centuries came and taught and watered the plant of Buddhism, are all there in the murals, and the curators are proud to point them out to me. The monk Kumarajiva is there, with his Indian features, Indian dress, and seated on a horse. All these testify to the region’s links with India. To paint on the less stable surface in Dunhuang, quite unlike the granite caves of Ajanta, and for these to be somehow sustained over centuries is a miracle of the dry Gobi desert.

In May 1900, Wang Yuanlu, a monk, accidentally discovered the Library Cave, No. 17. It was packed with manuscripts and silk paintings, and preserved for centuries. In March 1907 Aurel Stein, the famous Hungarian explorer, came on an expedition, persuaded the monk, and took away 24 boxes of manuscripts, and five boxes of silk paintings and textiles. He came again in 1914, and bought another 570 scrolls. In 1908, the Frenchman Paul Pelliot visited the caves and numbered all the accessible caves, copied inscriptions and took photos. He also took away part of the treasure. In 1910-11, Tachibana and Koichiro, from the Japanese Otani expedition, took away cartloads of manuscripts, and even two sculptures. In 1914-15, the Russian explorer Sergei Oldenburg collected 18,000 manuscripts and 100 silk paintings. He also cut off more than 10 pieces of murals, and took 10 sculptures. In 1924, American Landon Warner removed and took away 26 pieces of murals as well as two sculptures. Finally, in 1943, the establishment of a National Research Institute for Dunhuang ended the vandalism. About two-thirds of the manuscripts and paintings are in western countries, China has the rest, and today they are guarded and cared for with dedication.

I spent a whole day in the desert heat, going from cave to cave. It came as an eye-opener, and I want to say this to all Indians: Do not stick to the soft, urban Shanghai comforts. Our people must visit Dunhuang, and make it known in the Buddha’s own land.

(The author is the Union minister of sports)
http://www.outlookindia.com/article.aspx?267904

Some international news media signals, websites blocked in China - CNN.com

Beijing (CNN) -- On the eve of the Nobel Peace Prize award ceremony in Oslo, Norway, CNN.com and CNN International are among the websites and television networks that have been blocked in mainland China.

The winner of the prize is imprisoned Chinese dissident Liu Xiaobo. What's going on? CNN's Beijing Bureau Chief Jaime FlorCruz offers some insight.

Q: There are reports that users in China can't access the CNN website and the websites of other news organizations. What's the situation in Beijing and across mainland China?

A: CNN.com is completely blocked as of today. Because when I use [a privately secured network] the site works ok. But if I'm using the normal broadband connection at home, that most Chinese have, an error message comes up. It says "this website is not available." It's sort of the standard thing that happens when a website is blocked here in China.

Q: Is television news also blocked?

A: Every time our reports are broadcast about Nobel Prize winner [Liu, who is serving an 11-year sentence in a Chinese prison for what the government called "inciting subversion of state power"] the television screens black out. We are required to beam our signal through a Chinese satellite station before it is broadcast to mainland China. That creates a 12-second delay. Authorities use that time to black out specific parts of the signal. Whenever anything about WikiLeaks or the Nobel Prize is mentioned, the signal is blocked.

Q: How common is this?

A: They've been doing this many years. Usually anything having to do with the "three Ts and one F" -- Tibet, Taiwan, the '89 Tiananmen Square protests, and Falun Gong, a spiritual group banned in China. The process had abated for the last several months, and especially right after the Olympics. But in recent weeks we've noticed the practice has become more frequent. But now when anything about the Nobel Prize or WikiLeaks as it pertains to China is reported, our stories are blacked out.

Q: Does this occur only in mainland China, or is it in Hong Kong as well?

A: I believe it's just mainland China, that's what they can control.

Q: How do Chinese authorities police this?

A: They watch our stories and read our stories very closely. They probably have written directives over what kinds of stories need to be censored. I doubt that people pushing the buttons know English very well. But they probably base it on certain video they see, or key words that they hear. I think it's emblematic of how tightly controlled this is, and how sensitive authorities are about tomorrow's award ceremony in Oslo.

Q: What are the Chinese sites saying about the Nobel Prize, if anything?

A: The authorities are also blocking certain websites that may be touching on this or WikiLeaks. I think it's safe to say that most Chinese are not aware of the [Nobel Peace Prize winner]. And whatever they may have read about him has been through official talking points and state commentary.

just wanted to know... is twitter, facebook, orkut, linkedin and other social networking sites banned in china...

If CNN wants to operate in China, it has to follow our laws, plain and simple.

I believe it allows limited access and but Big Zhongguo blocks it every time there is any news that they deem they want to hide from the world and its citizens.

Nobel Peace prize is a joke.

Obama won peace prize while his country was at with two other countries.

When it is said to them, why you make mischief on earth, they say, we are only making peace.

why ban????

aren't people in china smart enough to figure out what's right/wrong for them!

Last edited:
Nobel Peace prize is a joke.

Obama won peace prize while his country was at with two other countries.

When it is said to them, why you make mischief on earth, they say, we are only making peace.

then ask your Nobel recipient from Pakistan to give it back. :pop:

Back
Top Bottom