Chinese Demand Apology for Ye Shiwen

beijingwalker

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
Chinese Demand Apology for Ye Shiwen

August 2, 2012, 6:30 PM HK

Chinese passions for champion swimmer Ye Shiwen continue to roil the nation’s social-media sites on Thursday, including mounting calls for those who have questioned her performances to apologize.

Associated Press

Ye scored successive wins in both the 400- and 200-meter individual medley races earlier this week, setting two new Olympic records and one new world record. That prompted John Leonard, the executive director of World Swimming Coaches Association, to say her record-breaking Saturday performance was “disturbing.” On Tuesday, he added that either it was “the greatest swim in history” or “something that is not correct.”

Chinese Internet users have since insisted Mr. Leonard say he’s sorry – and they’re becoming rather insistent.

In an unscientific poll conducted by the Chinese-language online edition of The Wall Street Journal, 92% of 6,653 voters voted in favor for an apology.

“An apology is very much required – this is a gross violation of [Ye’s] reputation,” said one user of the Sina Weibo microblogging service. Many users echoed the same opinion.

Ye herself seemed unfazed Thursday, writing on her verified Weibo account: “Today, I have completed all my races! I am very grateful for all the support I have received, including those who doubted me in the Western media! Thank you again for all the support!”

But one prominent online figure in China took what he later said was a step too far in the quest for an apology.

Lee Kaifu, the former president of Google China, midmorning on Thursday posted Mr. Leonard’s home address on Weibo, where he has 15 million followers. In the post, Mr. Lee urged people to contact the coach to ask for an apology, though he added the importance of employing a “civilized” manner in the quest for an apology. Mr. Lee later deleted the post, but not before it had been captured and spread around the Internet.

In an email to The Wall Street Journal, Mr. Lee stated he “felt outraged” after reading Mr. Leonard’s “unfair accusations” and sent an email to Mr. Leonard asking for an apology. He explained his Weibo post was an attempt to enlist others to reach out to Mr. Leonard.

Mr. Lee concluded his email apologizing again for his actions. But also added: “I sincerely hope that John would also consider an apology to Ye Shiwen.”

Forget it. It's hard to get apologies from people filled with such hate. A person of his position should have known to keep his mouth shut in the absence of evidence. The fact he couldn't shows the amount of enjoyment he gets from opening his ugly mouth. These changing times feel these people with fear, and they can only reassure themselves when they go on the attack.

We shouldn't judge a nation for the actions of a select few, but we should condemn his world for encouraging such ugly suspicion. Chinese athletes have been tarnished by this new wave of accusations, with every success downplayed as Chinese cheating. It really goes against the spirit of the Olympics, if it still exists.

Such statements smack of prejudice if not downright racism. She is a clean racer who was never embroiled in any doping scandal. Issuing an unqualified apology would be a civilized and rational thing to do.

Back
Top Bottom