What's new

Chinese Defense Budget 2018 (March 6) (Prediction Thread)

Get Ya Wig Split

Reaction score
Country
United States
China's military flexes muscles for domestic objective: more funding
BEIJING (Reuters) - With stealth jets entering service, leaked pictures of new high-tech naval artillery and proud reports of maneuvers that “dare to shine the sword,” China’s armed forces are putting on a show of power as they lobby for greater defense spending.
Although it is the world’s largest military, the People’s Liberation Army has been privately unhappy that it got less than double-digit funding increases the past two years. It has recently been making the case that it needs more money to deal with increased global uncertainty, diplomats and several sources with ties to the armed forces say.

In the run-up to the defense budget’s release at the annual meeting of China’s parliament next week, state media outlets have been filled with coverage of military drills, advanced new equipment and thrilling tales of derring-do in a new film very loosely based on China’s evacuating people from Yemen’s civil war in 2015.

China’s defense spending is only about one-quarter that of the United States, if official figures are accurate. China has repeatedly said that it has no hostile intent, that its military is for defensive missions, and that defense spending is transparent.

Many of the country’s neighbors beg to differ, calling out what they see as Chinese sabre-rattling as it ramps up drills in the region.

Vietnam, one of the most vocal opponents of China’s South China Sea claims, has tightened its military relationship with the United States. Taiwan has pledged to grow defense spending, and wants to buy new, advanced U.S. equipment.

The defense budget will only disclose a top-line number, with a percentage comparison to the previous year. No breakdown on spending is provided.

Last year, China’s parliament did not initially release the figure, sparking questions over transparency. But when it did, the budget increase was 7 percent, the smallest in more than a decade.

The budgeted increase of 7.6 percent for 2016 was the lowest in six years and the first single-digit rise since 2010, following a nearly unbroken two-decade run of double-digit increases.

Experts say the true figure is likely much higher than what is officially reported, with money for some military projects included in ostensibly non-military spending.

“Particularly given China’s civil-military integration, it is difficult to know where defense spending ends” and civilian research and development begins, said another Western diplomat, who analyses China’s military.

Some defense experts say that China is eroding the United States’ military technology dominance and that the People’s Liberation Army could surpass the U.S. military in artificial intelligence capabilities, which have become a spending priority for Beijing.

But in the absence of transparency about new technologies, such as an experimental electromagnetic railgun state media suggested this year was being tested aboard a Chinese warship, there is skepticism about their combat readiness.

China has not fought a war since 1979, a brief invasion of Vietnam that ended badly for China.

China’s Defense Ministry declined to comment ahead of the figure being released by parliament. The general percentage rise is typically given the day before parliament opens, and the raw figure the next day. Parliament opens March 5.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...domestic-objective-more-funding-idUSKCN1GC0KJ

Okay... as you can see from a title... this is a 2018 military budget prediction thread. Lets predict the chinese military budget increase for 2018. I would like to see at least 20+ % increase. US senate just passed a massive military budget (686B dollars aka 12% increase). I truly believe that it's time for China to do the same. I was really disappointed last year when they announced the 7% increase (expected at least 14%+). Would be dope to see Chinese Defense budget at around 300B+! Is it possible? What yall think? let me know...

Also...Chinese economy is booming (GDP is at 12.8T) so its time to drastically increase the defense budget. China spends only 1.9% on a defense while the US is spending almost 3.5%. China is on the rise and so it makes sense to drastically increase the budget in my opinion.

China's military flexes muscles for domestic objective: more funding
,BEIJING (Reuters) - With stealth jets entering service, leaked pictures of new high-tech naval artillery and proud reports of maneuvers that “dare to shine the sword,” China’s armed forces are putting on a show of power as they lobby for greater defense spendin
Although it is the world’s largest military, the People’s Liberation Army has been privately unhappy that it got less than double-digit funding increases the past two years. It has recently been making the case that it needs more money to deal with increased global uncertainty, diplomats and several sources with ties to the armed forces say.

In the run-up to the defense budget’s release at the annual meeting of China’s parliament next week, state media outlets have been filled with coverage of military drills, advanced new equipment and thrilling tales of derring-do in a new film very loosely based on China’s evacuating people from Yemen’s civil war in 2015.

China’s defense spending is only about one-quarter that of the United States, if official figures are accurate. China has repeatedly said that it has no hostile intent, that its military is for defensive missions, and that defense spending is transparent.

Many of the country’s neighbors beg to differ, calling out what they see as Chinese sabre-rattling as it ramps up drills in the region.

Vietnam, one of the most vocal opponents of China’s South China Sea claims, has tightened its military relationship with the United States. Taiwan has pledged to grow defense spending, and wants to buy new, advanced U.S. equipment.

The defense budget will only disclose a top-line number, with a percentage comparison to the previous year. No breakdown on spending is provided.

Last year, China’s parliament did not initially release the figure, sparking questions over transparency. But when it did, the budget increase was 7 percent, the smallest in more than a decade.

The budgeted increase of 7.6 percent for 2016 was the lowest in six years and the first single-digit rise since 2010, following a nearly unbroken two-decade run of double-digit increases.

Experts say the true figure is likely much higher than what is officially reported, with money for some military projects included in ostensibly non-military spending.

“Particularly given China’s civil-military integration, it is difficult to know where defense spending ends” and civilian research and development begins, said another Western diplomat, who analyses China’s military.

Some defense experts say that China is eroding the United States’ military technology dominance and that the People’s Liberation Army could surpass the U.S. military in artificial intelligence capabilities, which have become a spending priority for Beijing.

But in the absence of transparency about new technologies, such as an experimental electromagnetic railgun state media suggested this year was being tested aboard a Chinese warship, there is skepticism about their combat readiness.

China has not fought a war since 1979, a brief invasion of Vietnam that ended badly for China.

China’s Defense Ministry declined to comment ahead of the figure being released by parliament. The general percentage rise is typically given the day before parliament opens, and the raw figure the next day. Parliament opens March 5.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...domestic-objective-more-funding-idUSKCN1GC0KJ

China has not fought a war since 1979, a brief invasion of Vietnam that ended badly for China. It invaded so badly they penetrated 50 kilometers into Vietnam and reached captured three or four provincial capitals. Once again Western bias at its best ... looks like some Americans are still not over the Vietnam War it seems ...
:rofl::rofl::rofl::hitwall::hitwall::hitwall:

Okay... as you can see from a title... this is a 2018 military budget prediction thread. Lets predict the chinese military budget increase for 2018. I would like to see at least 20+ % increase. US senate just passed a massive military budget (686B dollars aka 12% increase). I truly believe that it's time for China to do the same. I was really disappointed last year when they announced the 7% increase (expected at least 14%+). Would be dope to see Chinese Defense budget at around 300B+! Is it possible? What yall think? let me know...
Also...Chinese economy is booming (GDP is at 12.8T) so its time to drastically increase the defense budget. China spends only 1.9% on a defense while the US is spending almost 3.5%. China is on the rise and so it makes sense to drastically increase the budget in my opinion.

China actually spending about 1.3% from GDP, and remember China military hardware cost average about 1/3 of america and arm personal wages just about 1/5-6 of american military personal. means with current china budget, is about near same to purchasing power of US military budget.

There are rumor around for a while say that there will be a major bump of military spending this year:enjoy:
Military spending has (at least publicly) been underwhelming for the last two years. I remember in 2016, there were rumors of a 20% defense hike (and that was during the heated SCS crisis) ... but it amounted to only 7.6%

I'd say 8 - 10%. China is different to United States. They have more personnel, and they're decreasing them. Plus, they retire a lot of their old weapons. So even when they don't increase their budget much, they still can have some money to spend in here and there.

China actually spending about 1.3% from GDP, and remember China military hardware cost average about 1/3 of america and arm personal wages just about 1/5-6 of american military personal. means with current china budget, is about near same to purchasing power of US military budget.

I would say Chinese hardware is around 2/3rd the cost if it is same as US. Other costs like fuel would be about the same.
Chinese defence budget in real terms is around half of US.

Back
Top Bottom