What's new

China's New Type 056 Corvette

Warship with a displacement of 1,500 -2,000 tons, well, that is pathetic.

Even Japan Coast Guard is better armed than that, it has more than ten vessels with a displacement of over 4000 tons.

Warship with a displacement of 1,500 -2,000 tons, well, that is pathetic.

Even Japan Coast Guard is better armed than that, it has more than ten vessels with a displacement of over 4000 tons.

It all depends, bigger isn't always better but what is the mission requirement that the PLAN wants this ship to fulfill? I am still not clear on this point.

Probably south china sea.
It is nimble enough against kilos and hopefully not as screwed should you lost one or two of these. It is also big enough for endurance and carrying torpedo capable helicopters. It also have good air defense for its size.

Lets just wait and see which fleet this thing goes to.

Probably south china sea.
It is nimble enough against kilos and hopefully not as screwed should you lost one or two of these. It is also big enough for endurance and carrying torpedo capable helicopters. It also have good air defense for its size.

Lets just wait and see which fleet this thing goes to.

Tis a good guess. Both the range, size, and configuration suggests such a role.

china's military budget is expected to be $78 billion this year....

US military budget is MORE THAN $700 BILLION!!!!!!!!!!!!
$$$719.2 BILLION TO BE PRECISE..

see the difference....?

Government Spending Chart in United States 2000-2020 - Federal State Local

Actually you should look at the government income instead expense.

US federal government has revenue 2165 billion USD in 2010. state + local government 2444 billion USD in 2010. Total number is 4451 billion

China government total revenue in 2009-2010 is 10.8 trillion RMB. equivalent to 1612 billion USD.

It's just a different view about how to spend money rather than US has 10 time capacity of China

More info

US government total debt 16.635 trillion USD

China government total debt at the end of 2009 is 15.7 trillion RMB(2343 billion USD)

http://www.usgovernmentrevenue.com/#usgs302a

Last edited:
I have no idea why they want to build such a small ship.Maybe its just a model.Lets wait until the real one comes out.

It could potentially be a good model to export, esp as it uses Chinese FL-3000N instead of the Russian AK-630 as in Type 022 FAC. If China can manage to sell a Z-9 with each ship then it's even better.

This ship definatelly doesnt fit the PLAN´s need.Pepole even argue if the 022 is useful.If its for the coast guard,then its too heavilly armed.I dont think any coast guards ship will need heavy anti ship missiles or anti air missile.Still we need to wait untile the real ship comes out.

Would Pakistan be interested in having such ships in their navy?

I have this crazy idea of having a larger type 071 type ship carrying a couple of high speed cushion boats with anti-ship missiles. Wonder if you can make those stealthy.

76mm gun is actually overkill for pirates I believe, they usually use machine guns and oerlikon cannons. It doesn't look like it has room fro HQ-10.

Lol gonna have to eat my words. Apparently on another forum HQ-10 is the name of the missile carried by the FL-3000N, and FL-3000N is the name for the system(?)

Lol gonna have to eat my words. Apparently on another forum HQ-10 is the name of the missile carried by the FL-3000N, and FL-3000N is the name for the system(?)

New photo showing FL-3000N/HQ10 fitted on the ex-Varyag.

256650ff0bf19270ffd.jpg

Looks like PLAN is quite satisfied with the FL-3000N's performance, to have it installed on everything new from corvettes to aircraft carrier.

I wonder what will happen to Type 730 though. Are we going see it being phased out on new ships or are we going to see a mixture of both 730 and FL-3000N.

How do missile based point defense stack up to CIWS?

I think smaller ships like this corvette is quite useful for coastal defense. While you have your larger ships engaging enemy planes, your corvettes could target incoming ASMs.

While smaller and cheaper, larger number of boats can be built and send out to sea doing anti-sub patrol. There'll be more boats continuously at sea. Two 056 can probably cover larger sea area than a single 054.

I think smaller ships like this corvette is quite useful for coastal defense. While you have your larger ships engaging enemy planes, your corvettes could target incoming ASMs.

While smaller and cheaper, larger number of boats can be built and send out to sea doing anti-sub patrol. There'll be more boats continuously at sea. Two 056 can probably cover larger sea area than a single 054.

Yes,thats true.The small 056 also could be a good platform to train the crews.So this design will be still useful for the PLAN though I really dont like this small ship.

Advantages missile based CIWS (FL-3000N/HQ-10) has over gun based CIWS (AK630, Type 730)

1) Much better at defending against supersonic missiles.

2) (Comparing to 730 esp) Probably cheaper as it uses data feed from the ship instead of having its own complete set of radar and fire control. Likely requires less deck penetration, so easier to install.

I think it's safe to conclude FL-3000N/HQ-10 is a better air defense system than AK-630 otherwise PLAN won't use HQ-10 on Type 056 while using AK-630 on smaller and cheaper Type 022 FAC.

Another thing I'm interested in is whether Type 054A will be refitted with a FL-3000N/HQ-10 on top of the helo hangar to remove the blind spot of its point defense at the back.

On the other hand, it's very interesting to note that some Flight IIA Arleigh Burkes were produced without any gun-based CIWS and completely relay on missile based close range air defense. But later the U.S. Navy made the decision to refit all those Phalanx-less Burkes with Phalanx by 2013.

One of the reason cited for going back to gun-based CIWS was its ability to engage incoming smaller vessels. Americans obviously have much more experience in naval operations and if they decided more guns to fire upon small ships are necessary, PLAN should take notice and put that into consideration when designing their new ships. I'm kind of uneasy about single 76mm gun + missile CIWS concept on the 056 model.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom