What's new

China’s latest main battle tank could soon be ready for service, analyst says

Nan Yang

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia

China’s latest main battle tank could soon be ready for service, analyst says

• Tank was highlighted on state television, though it was mostly covered and no details were given
  • Military analyst says it suggests development of the fourth-generation vehicle ‘is almost complete’

Amber Wang
Amber Wang in Beijing
Published: 9:30pm, 11 Oct, 2022

Footage of the new tank, mostly covered, was aired on state broadcaster CCTV on Sunday. Photo: Weibo

Footage of the new tank, mostly covered, was aired on state broadcaster CCTV on Sunday. Photo: Weibo

China’s latest main battle tank has been highlighted on state television, suggesting the fourth-generation vehicle could soon be ready for service, according to a military analyst.

Footage of the new tank – though mostly covered – aired on Sunday as part of a CCTV series on the modernisation of the People’s Liberation Army. The episode on advanced military weapons showed the tank with a caption reading: “The strongest on the surface in the future?”

Song Zhongping, an analyst and former military instructor, said while no details were given, the partial reveal suggested that “development of China’s most advanced main battle tank is almost complete”.

At present, the PLA’s most advanced main battle tanks are the Type 99 and its upgraded version, the Type 99A. The Type 99 entered service in 2001 and more than 1,200 of the tanks have been built in the past two decades.

The military deployed the Type 99A to its high-altitude border region in the Karakoram mountain range in western China last year in a bid to boost combat ability there, according to state media reports.

No details have been released on progress of the fourth-generation battle tank since its development was revealed in 2016.

Song said the new tank was believed to have high mobility, stealth and strong strike capabilities.

According to the official Beijing Youth Daily, citing an earlier CCTV report, the next-generation main battle tank will have two crews instead of the three used for the Type 99A. One crew will cover combat and the other will mainly focus on driving.

The newspaper report on Monday said the new tank would have a reduced tonnage, but that mobility and protection would be improved, as would combat capabilities.

It comes as the US this week unveiled its next-generation Abrams main battle tank, the AbramsX. Manufacturer General Dynamics Land Systems revealed that the tank will be given a hybrid conventional-electric propulsion system, enabling 50 per cent less fuel consumption and silent mobility.

Russia unveiled its most advanced main battle tank, the T-14 Armata, during the Moscow Victory Day Parade in 2015. The tank has digitalised equipment and an unmanned turret.

China has been rapidly modernising its military in recent years, including investing in advanced weaponry and equipment.

Military analyst Song noted that the CCTV programme on Sunday also showed new types of warplanes being developed for the Fujian aircraft carrier, which was launched in June, featuring electromagnetic catapults.

It also said the PLA was developing more advanced hypersonic weapons in addition to the DF-17 medium-range missile system, which has a hypersonic glide vehicle.

You could have told me that pic was a steamed dumpling and I'd believe you.

You could have told me that pic was a steamed dumpling and I'd believe you.
CCP wouldn't make a fool of themselves by lying unlike thick skinned indian.

CCP wouldn't make a fool of themselves by lying unlike thick skinned indian.
CCP made fools of themselves and the country plenty of times in history, even now.

CCP made fools of themselves and the country plenty of times in history, even now.
Which one? Did they claim they send a space station but failed to put one in space? Or the EMAL onboard Fujian aircraft is a steam catapult instead or Ma weiming is hoax too?

Which one? Did they claim they send a space station but failed to put one in space? Or the EMAL onboard Fujian aircraft is a steam catapult instead or Ma weiming is hoax too?
Great leap forward ring a bell? How about cultural revolution? How about its widespread corruption and current failing dynamic zero policy? A few piece of shiny weapons ain't gonna make the dirt go away.

I know you little pinks wants the population to worship CCP all the time, but unfortunately not all of us are stupid.

Great leap forward ring a bell? How about cultural revolution? How about its widespread corruption and current failing dynamic zero policy? A few piece of shiny weapons ain't gonna make the dirt go away.

I know you little pinks wants the population to worship CCP all the time, but unfortunately not all of us are stupid.
Lol ... You want to bring great leap forward which is decades old donkey matters?

Why not you bring up slavery trade or racial discrimination of western power in the 18th centuries?

And u think zero policy is stupid and america 1 million covid death is brilliant? What cow piss has you been drinking?

And the great corruption of China which create a 2nd largest economy which elevate Chinese to middle class income tier level. USA has no corruption and no mass shooting occurs. I guess u can sleep well with those lies.

In China, single ladies can walk safely at late night on most street of major cities. Can the freedom american do the same in USA?

Last edited:
Lol ... You want to bring great leap forward which is decades old donkey matters?

Why not you bring up slavery trade or racial discrimination of western power in the 18th centuries?

And u think zero policy is stupid and america 1 million covid death is brilliant? What cow piss has you been drinking?

And the great corruption of China which create a 2nd largest economy which elevate Chinese to middle class income tier level. USA has no corruption and no mass shooting occurs. I guess u can sleep well with those lies.

In China, single ladies can walk safely at late night on most street of major cities. Can the freedom american do the same in USA?
You're the little pink that said CCP doesn't make a fool of itself, so I refreshed your memory. So you do remember that CCP shat themselves a plenty in its existence. Make sure you read your Xi's thoughts before bed time.

Zero COVID policy is stupid. Rest of the world has emerged from the crisis while China is locking down a fifth of its population in a futile attempt to contain what could not be eliminated. Did you know that 11 million people died in China in 2019 of natural causes? You know that mortality also correlates with increased unemployment right? All because Xinnie the Pooh thinks this destructive policy is his political path for another term.

Oh and there is a demographic crisis on the horizon thanks for CCP's one child policy which completely screwed the population structure. I wonder how you little pinks will suck on that CCP dick when that arrives in 10 years.

You're the little pink that said CCP doesn't make a fool of itself, so I refreshed your memory. So you do remember that CCP shat themselves a plenty in its existence. Make sure you read your Xi's thoughts before bed time.

Zero COVID policy is stupid. Rest of the world has emerged from the crisis while China is locking down a fifth of its population in a futile attempt to contain what could not be eliminated. Did you know that 11 million people died in China in 2019 of natural causes? You know that mortality also correlates with increased unemployment right? All because Xinnie the Pooh thinks this destructive policy is his political path for another term.

Oh and there is a demographic crisis on the horizon thanks for CCP's one child policy which completely screwed the population structure. I wonder how you little pinks will suck on that CCP dick when that arrives in 10 years.
If you do not like the present government what type of government would you like ?

Please advise.

Back
Top Bottom