What's new

China's high speed rail runs out of money

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL indians criticised chinese railway system, this is why i find indians amusing to the point of embaressing.

Exactly, it is just ridiculous.

Check how many people died due to trains annually in India, and then compare it to China. It's not even a comparison.

Exactly, it is just ridiculous.

Check how many people died due to trains annually in India, and then compare it to China. It's not even a comparison.

The article is about the cash crunch faced by Chinese Railway which to some estimates account to 300 billion dollars.

The article is about the cash crunch faced by Chinese Railway which to some estimates account to 300 billion dollars.
A railway having debt of $300 billions is really bewildering. Just like a rotten fruit packed in good packaging.

High speed rail in China isn't a economic problem, is a political problem. In the view of economic, High speed rail shouldn't built because of low rate of return on investment. Fortunately, Zhi zhu Liu, who was the pre-Railways Minister, want to accumulate the political capital because of many complicated reasons. Sheng, who is the Railways Minister now, still support the program of High speed rail, but Sheng want to develop High speed rail more steadily and avoid risking. So Ministry of Railways claims that they want to stop other unimportant high speed rail, the reason they explained is lacking of money.

Well few railways in the world make money.
In those few countries, there comes supa-po-or country India.Thanks to Lalu :enjoy:

Well High speed trains are non-economical for a big network.

okay so I see a story about one of Chinese's construction project not doing so well and someone brought it up on here so people could read it. Then suddenly these insecure Chinese members thought they were being made fun of and become defensive against the Indian members. Learn to accept reality, we don't think poorly of you if you fked up. Should I say more? i think not.

The goal of infrastructure is not to make money directly. High speed railway, just like military, doesn't need to make money. The government should subside it like how Beijing government subsides public transportation. 300 billion is peanut money compared to its potential economic, strategic impact and how much time it saves for billions of travellers.

HSR is a good learning experience for China in a lot of areas. In addition to engineering related fields like system engineering, communication system, management etc, there's never an engineering project in Chinese history that is under such public scrutiny. Last years incidents that kills 35 people would've never set public outrage if it had happened in 20 years ago. (Strictly speaking, the incident is on D-trains, not the latest HSR). 6 months later, a very comprehensive incident report was released to public and 55 high rank officials get sacked. All these set the first examples in Chinese history.

The Japanese column writer 加藤嘉一 once wrote a article talking about the extreme similarities between Chinese HSR and Japanese HSR in early days, in both case the bosses were bold, adventurous and both later go sacked from financial troubles and corruption scandals. As a developing country, China will experience growing pains and learning curves. There will be setbacks, financial troubles, corruptions etc, but the project as a whole is extremely successful in my opinion. I once watched a video about the construction of HSR, all wiring ends will have technician's name tag attached, this gives a sense of both pride and accountability.

There was a news yesterday that Kazakhstan exports wheat to Malaysia through China's Ningbo city in the east coast, which means a cross-China transportation. Geographically it doesn't make any sense but excellent infrastructure in China makes it economically much more appealing compared to other closer routes. Eurasia continental bridge(gateway) is definitely not a dream.

Indians have such a "hard xn" for Chinese HSR. It's not your money and nobody in China is asking you to come ride it. Visit BR and something like 80% of the Chinese Economic thread is about HSR. Get over it. Take an Indian fake Xanax the next time you ride Indian Rail and forget about it. If you are comatose, you won't know the difference.

This American traveller recorded his trip from Shanghai to Beijing. Just look at the stations, the cleanliness, the passengers, the service and the environment inside and outside the train. I see no difference to a developed country.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hahaha this is really even more embaressing coming from poor viet, have you ever seen a millionair feeling insecure of a beggar comment about his financial affairs? gosh these loosers are so desperate to bash china they will use anything even making a fool of themselves.:rofl:

LOL, only a genius like you would take them seriously and personally. You're so pathetic and desperate right now to get my attention. I think you are going on my ignore list for good. You're not worth my time. In fact, you can't even handle the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom