China's Front Line Fighters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazzbot

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
well guyz sorry in advance if this topic already exist somewhere but i couldn't find it so thought to post a new topic here.. I was wondering about China's front line Air Fighter, what plane it is..? and what are its capabilities. China is rising as a global power, so can she match USAF in terms of quality Fighters and aviation..? Also as compared to india's SU30 MKI and up-coming tejas etc. do china has a front line Aircraft in service right now who can dominate in Air Combat...?

These are the questions which i was wondering, i've looked at wikipedia that china is working over J-10B, J-XX (5th Gen Fighter) etc.. But what are china's current Airforce Capabilities and which Aircrafts are currently in service in China's Air Force..

as far as i know, J10 is still in some sort of process of up-gradation, but i am not sure about it. I am not Engineer or AF guy :P so you can consider me a civilian thus i may be wrong.. :D

But i think J-10B is in progress along with J-11 and J-XX is still in controversial phase, we are not sure how much work is done with J-XX so far.. :D

as far as i know, J10 is still in some sort of process of up-gradation, but i am not sure about it. I am not Engineer or AF guy :P so you can consider me a civilian thus i may be wrong.. :D

But i think J-10B is in progress along with J-11 and J-XX is still in controversial phase, we are not sure how much work is done with J-XX so far.. :D

I am the same with you, I have very limited knowlege in this area, so we should wait for some experts's answer.:cheers:

Actually i was thinking what if today China has to engage in a fight with a country like india or US who have pretty decent Air Force, then what options china have in Air Force, and how much china's AF will be effective against India at least. Though its not likely to have such wars in next few decades but still i want to know what is the strength China has in Air Space..

Actually i was thinking what if today China has to engage in a fight with a country like india or US who have pretty decent Air Force, then what options china have in Air Force, and how much china's AF will be effective against India at least. Though its not likely to have such wars in next few decades but still i want to know what is the strength China has in Air Space..

No, china cant win US millitoryly now, we still need time to make us stronger. India? I am so surprised you lay india and US AF together. India AF is behind china, and the world AF rank is like this.
US >>>>>> Russian > China

even i am waiting for some numbers on what all planes the PLAAF is flying. i am pretty sure with a better developed aviation industry, the chinese will have a better armed and bigger air force than what india will be able to field

India AF is not in the same league as China's, because apart from huge quantitative advantage (I recall China has at least >2000 combat-ready aircrafts, while India has 600 or so), China builds her own 4 and 5 gen while India inports them.

In war time, for example, from where India could import the spare parts, ammos, or just entire planes lossed, no where!

On the other hand, China's aviation industry/manufactering only uses about 15% production capacity nowadays, to avoid US/Soviet style cold war madness. When operating at the full capacity, however, China could chunk out about 30 or so warplanes (4th gen) per WEEK, that's about 4 per DAY! Here we just skip the huge gap on ongoing R&D for more advance planes or projects. The similar gap can be found almost in any other area of the millitary hardware.

So there is no comparison between the two, not even remotely in a conventional war.

India looks big during peace time, a fake image though because she can import whereever she wants to, as per MKI and MMCA. In war time however (assuming vs China), neither Russia, nor the EU and USA would dare to export a single nail to India unless they have declared war on China already, you bet!

In a realistic prolonged conventional war when import/export are restricted except for close alies, only sophistication and capacity of domestic production really count (which I assume is the true scenario you want to compare). Under such a realistic scenario, airforces of USA, Russia and China are at their own league with US being far ahead for the moment, even France/UK can not match ANY of the BIG 3, let alone India.

J-10A/B,J-11A/B,Su-27,Su-30MK2,JH-7,J-8,H-6,K-8,L-15

^^^

i agree with you.

i hope you can provide a more accurate picture . as in how many planes of what type are flown by the PLAAF. thanks in advance

China has a huge inventory of aircraft but majority of them are 2nd and 3rd gen just like India.

Here's a list:

J10 - 196
J7 (mig-21 copy) - 700
J8 - 300
Su-27 - 70
Su-30 - 100
J11 - 120
J7 bomber - 190
H6 (copy of Tupolev Tu-16) - 180

Total - 1700-2000 aircraft

The J-7 is a copy of Mig 21 and is a 3rd gen aircraft. China has a total of 900 of these aircraft. Also the J8 is also decades old aircraft and needs replacement.

The only advanced fighters are:

J10 - 4th gen
J11 - 4th gen
Su27 - 4th gen
Su30 - 4.5th gen

A total of 500 of these fighters. Quite a force if you ask me.

I see some chinese member comparing these to India. Although there is no comparison since the quantity of chinese planes is simple mindblowing. But India does have a little qualitative edge with its Su30 MKI which is more advanced than any chinese plane, and also Mirage 2000, Mig-29 are also in the 4th gen league.

The J-7 is a copy of Mig 21 and is a 3rd gen aircraft. China has a total of 900 of these aircraft. Also the J8 is also decades old aircraft and needs replacement.

PLAAF developed their own datalink system that can be upgrade to J7,J8 or anyother planes. so even if they are 3rd gen planes, they can acquire target information and fire BVR missiles too.

China has a huge inventory of aircraft
I see some chinese member comparing these to India. Although there is no comparison since the quantity of chinese planes is simple mindblowing. But India does have a little qualitative edge with its Su30 MKI which is more advanced than any chinese plane, and also Mirage 2000, Mig-29 are also in the 4th gen league.

i agree. but PLAAF also have 2 advantages in the indo-china scenario.

1) PLAAF doesn't need to fight above india territory, which means they will got full support from both up and down.
2) PLAAF has and analysed almost evry missiles that india has, which means they will got better chance to evade the imcomming missiles.

China has a huge inventory of aircraft but majority of them are 2nd and 3rd gen just like India.

Here's a list:

J10 - 196
J7 (mig-21 copy) - 700
J8 - 300
Su-27 - 70
Su-30 - 100
J11 - 120
J7 bomber - 190

J10 - 4th gen
J11 - 4th gen
Su27 - 4th gen
Su30 - 4.5th gen

yup

overall numbers

China > India

Overall Quality

India > China

Overall Number of Quality Planes

India >> China

Over All:
India(advantage) over China

1)Coz China will not want to produce such fighters in such rates..and also if China looses 5 or more aircrafts for every 1 lost by India....then China will not want to continue with such a heavy loss.....
2)China cannot use all its air force against India....they have other frontiers also to defend...WHICH ARE WAY MORE TOUGHER AND IMPORTANT THEN against India....
3)Furthur Russia could supply India in case of war and so can other countries....to think they wont will be simply day dreaming.....

yup

overall numbers

China > India

Overall Quality

India > China

Overall Number of Quality Planes

India >> China

Over All:
India(advantage) over China

1)Coz China will not want to produce such fighters in such rates..and also if China looses 5 or more aircrafts for every 1 lost by India....then China will not want to continue with such a heavy loss.....
2)China cannot use all its air force against India....they have other frontiers also to defend...WHICH ARE WAY MORE TOUGHER AND IMPORTANT THEN against India....
3)Furthur Russia could supply India in case of war and so can other countries....to think they wont will be simply day dreaming.....

300 jets crashed in 20years.:lol:Yes, very good quality. I dont know why indian cant stop talking big and turn back to the real world? Is that so hard to do that?

Here's a list:

J10 - 196
J7 (mig-21 copy) - 700
J8 - 300
Su-27 - 70
Su-30 - 100
J11 - 120
J7 bomber - 190

J10 - 4th gen
J11 - 4th gen
Su27 - 4th gen
Su30 - 4.5th gen

even going by your numbers,

china has atleast 486 4+ gen aircraft in its inventory.

J10 - 196
Su-27 - 70
Su-30 - 100
J11 - 120

i dont know how old the source for these numbers is and i can only assume there will be more of them by now.

comparable aircraft that india has-
Mig 29 Fulcrum - 56
Su 30 MKI - 98
Mirage 2000 - 41

a total of 195 aircraft. i have taken the numbers from wiki, someone please find a better source.

in short as far as top rung aircraft of the two countries are concerned, PLAAF outnumbers IAF 5:2

i wont compare the quality. and i refuse to count the other migs as credible threats to the aircraft i have mentioned.

the only advantage the IAF might have is that it has more airfields close to the indo china border, allowing more sorties to be flown

PS: i had really hoped this wouldnt become a vs thread
i wish it would become an informative thread on the PLAAF

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom