What's new

China’s bullet trains facilitate market integration and mitigate the cost of megacity growth

In 2013, the annual disposable income per capital in China is about $3,001.

How speed of HSR D train? Is it government investment ?
All passengers use HSR to go to work at Shanghai for high wages ?

600 million with average 10,000 yuan / month means all of Chinese working people has the annual income 19,500 $
Do you tell me the truth ??? Even that's true they still unable use that HSR every week / month...

high speed train is for city to city, or province to province, what are you doing hooping on trains instead of going to work?

I only travel twice a year to see my parents, maybe 1 or 2 times a year on vacation if I have time. Then there is business travel.

When I was a student, or involved in only local projects, while living in the same city as my parents, I only travel once for vacation, when I get my time off.

Who takes HSR to go to work? Are you sure you know what HSR is? It's not the subway or monorail, those are cheap, about the price of a meal if not less.

Eastern China already has a per capita of more or less 15,000 USD, that will reach 25,000 by decades' end. Yea, you been lied to, we are not as poor as you think. Sorry to burst that bubble.

high speed train is for city to city, or province to province, what are you doing hooping on trains instead of going to work?

I only travel twice a year to see my parents, maybe 1 or 2 times a year on vacation if I have time. Then there is business travel.

When I was a student, or involved in only local projects, while living in the same city as my parents, I only travel once for vacation, when I get my time off.

Who takes HSR to go to work? Are you sure you know what HSR is? It's not the subway or monorail, those are cheap, about the price of a meal if not less.

Eastern China already has a per capita of more or less 15,000 USD, that will reach 25,000 by decades' end. Yea, you been lied to, we are not as poor as you think. Sorry to burst that bubble.

15,000-20,000 USD per year and only once or twice a year to use HSR ... How many people has income above 20,000 UsD / year ?
so you could do the math for HSR performance.
Be mentioned majority of Chinese people has 2500-3000 RMB / month as factory worker. or 4000 RMB/month as average income ( office )

Should I call HSR as means of transport not for majority of Chinese people ?

15,000-20,000 USD per year and only once or twice a year to use HSR ... How many people has income above 20,000 UsD / year ?
so you could do the math for HSR performance.
Be mentioned majority of Chinese people has 2500-3000 RMB / month as factory worker. or 4000 RMB/month as average income ( office )

Should I call HSR as means of transport not for majority of Chinese people ?

before we go any further, do you know what HSR is? If we take money out of the equation, how many time would you ride it a year, if money was not a concern?

before we go any further, do you know what HSR is? If we take money out of the equation, how many time would you ride it a year, if money was not a concern?

a guy in Europe travel hundreds kilometers for his hair cut ...

a guy in Europe travel hundreds kilometers for his hair cut ...
Dude I grew up in Canada and the US, don't try to use Europe as if I don't know what that's like.

How often do you travel outside your city, a year?

Dude I grew up in Canada and the US, don't try to use Europe as if I don't know what that's like.

How often do you travel outside your city, a year?

I don't try to say how poor the Chinese people ... I just try to convince everyone that running the high speed rail with huge investment really not any good for improving the living condition of majority of Chinese people ...

You could monitor the usage of that big budget for other useful purposes...

130-200 km is the distance US people would drive to work ... they don't invest for highspeed rail.
same is the distance for European to travel by highspeed rail for work, meals,

Last edited:
I don't try to say how poor the Chinese people ... I just try to convince everyone that running the high speed rail with huge investment really not any good for improving the living condition of majority of Chinese people ...

You could monitor the usage of that big budget for other useful purposes...

130-200 km is the distance US people would drive to work ... they don't invest for highspeed rail.
same is the distance for European to travel by highspeed rail for work, meals,

I'm not talking the rich or poor thing, I didn't think you were saying Chinese are poor by the last post, I realized you didn't really get HSR.

Let me clear somethings for you.

High speed rails is environmentally friendly, it is fast and it is safe. It is an investment in the future when projects such as these cannot take place, due to a multitude of reasons.

Second Most high speed rails are city to city, which are 100+KM, most in the 300, with Beijing to Shanghai in 1300+ KM. That's not the longest.

Third driving 130 takes 2 hours more or less, while 200 would easily place that to 3. No way somebody drives 4-6 hours a day on that. That's 20 dollars a trip, if not more by today's prices.

Fourth high speed rails like Beijing to Tianjin is about 50 rmb, so less than 10 dollars for a second class, which is still very comfortable. A longer trip and business class cost more, but still less than flying or driving.

Fifth, all lines are city to city, and I mean major cities to major cities, with second and even some third teir cities in the mix.
I know some people drive a lot in Western countries, but that's county to a city, or county to bigger county. China has the world's largest number of major cities, and the Cities are huge, Beijing is 16,000+ KM^2.

In those cases subways are about the price of a bag of chips, while buses and other are practically free.

There's misconceptions you have about these rails, does that clear it up for you. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

In office 10,000 RMB / month belong to "Gold Job" manager level, in factory worker salary is about 3000RMB / month. But if u r a businessman doing some trade, it's not hard to earn 10,000 RMB - 30,000 RMB u r a little BOSS.

As i said the range of 600 RMB/ highspeed ticket is from one province to another province in China( x000 km long ), for a factory worker it's not any problem each 3 month to take the train come & back, not any problem for a normal employee in office to take it each 1 or 2 month, not any problem for the rich take many times in one month. Usually Chinese need to take train 2-4 times in one year, if u r business trival for job the company can support ur ticket price.

@BoQ77 just ask u, how may time u take a train in Vietnam ? or how may times u take a train in one month ?

Actually, I think it's better for Chinese people to have the rails with average speed 150 kilometers and seat fare as lowest as possible x1.5 not x2.5 as High-speed Rail ( I'm not sure how fast this type of train travel for 9 usd / 130 km / one way ).

If must choose between 300 km / hour and x2.5 fare and 150 km / hour and x1.5 fare ( AND much lower of construction investment ) ... which one will you choose ?

I think it's good for Chinese majority people to have their fast and cheap means of transport.
They could travel back and forth about 100-150km for work and return home in suburban which has the cheaper cost of living and house rental... Travel 100 km within 45 mins , fare 3-3.5$ and enjoy the cheap costs after they return home ...
It could be for basic workers ...

Actually, I think it's better for Chinese people to have the rails with average speed 150 kilometers and seat fare as lowest as possible x1.5 not x2.5 as High-speed Rail ( I'm not sure how fast this type of train travel for 9 usd / 130 km / one way ).

If must choose between 300 km / hour and x2.5 fare and 150 km / hour and x1.5 fare ( AND much lower of construction investment ) ... which one will you choose ?

I think it's good for Chinese majority people to have their fast and cheap means of transport.
They could travel back and forth about 100-150km for work and return home in suburban which has the cheaper cost of living and house rental... Travel 100 km within 45 mins , fare 3-3.5$ and enjoy the cheap costs after they return home ...
It could be for basic workers ...
1. China is BIG, the distance between different provinces r x000 km.

2. Right now Chinese still not livie like ur thought, work in one city then return home in other city. Usually they live and work at the same place.

3. China provinces develop unfair, it make ppl to find jobs from Middle/West un-developed provinces to East developed provinces. Millions of Chinese worker need highspeed railway to save trival time.

4. 80% Chinese take train TWICE in one year coz they need work hard to earn money no spare time to trival, another 20% take more.

5. Most Chinese spend less time to trival.

@BoQ77 just ask u, how may time u take a train in Vietnam ? or how may times u take a train in one month ?

cnleio , the purpose and effect of this project seems to change the habit of using means of transport ...
the rail in Vietnam still not develop, it takes too long for travelling from North to South, distance 1700-1800 km ///
and at this moment we are heading the same issue, build a Shinkansen-like which very very expensive ( estimated 56 billion USD ) or just develop the rails with average speed 120-150 kms / hour ... which need investment about less than a half ... and much cheaper fare ...

When the fare cheap, have more passenger, fast frequency, we could have new habits not to use cars for 150-250km distance ;
new location for weekend holiday ... workers return home every weekend ...
What I love is speed similar or faster than cars and cost equal or a little higher than buses ...

At this moment, in Vietnam for business purpose, there's no way than take a 2 hours flight from North to South ...
The train fare is expensive, low speed ...

1. China is BIG, the distance between different provinces r x000 km.
Shinkansen-like not suitable for x000km. Slower train with cheap fare or airplane is better for that. See USA. Atlanta is the biggest transit airport for domestic flight.
China is not high density like Europe, less income, cannot develop TGV rails to everywhere ..

2. Right now Chinese still not livie like ur thought, work in one city then return home in other city. Usually they live and work at the same place.
The new higher speed rail would change this as its original purpose, so the seat fare is most important.

3. China provinces develop unfair, it make ppl to find jobs from Middle/West un-developed provinces to East developed provinces. Millions of Chinese worker need highspeed railway to save trival time.

I'm not sure worker need 300 km/hour to their home or 120-150 km / hour with cheaper fares.
Cheaper fare and a little slow speed rail help the workers return home more often ...

4. 80% Chinese take train TWICE in one year coz they need work hard to earn money no spare time to trival, another 20% take more.

It's really ineffective way to invest a very expensive Shinkansen-like system for 80% using TWICE per year.
Help them not have to ride their motorbike to come home by any faster and cheap means of transport BETTER

5. Most Chinese spend less time to trival.

Believe me, they make this not for helping workers come home faster and cheaper.
Try to move your development deep into the mainland,

Last edited:
cnleio , the purpose and effect of this project seems to change the habit of using means of transport ...
the rail in Vietnam still not develop, it takes too long for travelling from North to South, distance 1700-1800 km ///
and at this moment we are heading the same issue, build a Shinkansen-like which very very expensive ( estimated 56 billion USD ) or just develop the rails with average speed 120-150 kms / hour ... which need investment about less than a half ... and much cheaper fare ...

When the fare cheap, have more passenger, fast frequency, we could have new habits not to use cars for 150-250km distance ;
new location for weekend holiday ... workers return home every weekend ...
What I love is speed similar or faster than cars and cost equal or a little higher than buses ...

At this moment, in Vietnam for business purpose, there's no way than take a 2 hours flight from North to South ...
The train fare is expensive, low speed ...
We live in different nations, to face different railway situation. China problem is BIG, ppl ask fast shift between different provinces. If China compare with Vietnam, the distance from North Vietnam to South Vietnam just equal with the distance between two provinces(1000-2000km) in China, but China has 2x / 3x / 4x far distance to reach the terminal.

As for a BIG country, the time is too slow, the trival is too long. One thing i forget tell u, the highspeed train can't run on normal rail, Chinese engineers & workers just build special highspeed rail for the highspeed train. It means in China there'r still two kinds of railway system, one for running highspeed train another for normal train, a passanger can choose 2x price ticket to spend different times in the trival. In China cities, the highspeed train and normal trian has their own stations.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom