What's new

China’s bullet trains facilitate market integration and mitigate the cost of megacity growth

Kiss_of_the_Dragon

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
China’s bullet trains facilitate market integration and mitigate the cost of megacity growth
By 2015 China plans to extend the network to 19,000 kilometers (about 11,800 miles), with a mixture of new and existing infrastructure. On the dedicated high-speed lines, trains can exceed 300km/h (186mph); secondary lines allow travel between 200 and 299 km/h (124-185mph); and existing lines that have been upgraded permit some high-speed travel.

Bullet trains now carry twice as many passengers each month than the country’s domestic airlines, and have an annual growth rate of 28%.

A 2013 World Bank report, the scale of China’s high-speed railway network is supported by its densely populated city centers, affluent consumers’ growing purchasing power, and traffic congestion on other travel modes. Other key factors include China’s low construction costs, lax environmental rules and strong government support — both financial and political — for high-speed rail.

A 2013 study published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS), “China’s Bullet Trains Facilitate Market Integration and Mitigate the Cost of Megacity Growth,” looks at the impact of high-speed rail on real-estate prices in second-tier cities near Chinese megacities such as Beijing.
The PNAS study’s findings include:

* The introduction of the high-speed railways is responsible for 59% of the increase in average market potential for the cities connected by bullet trains. (Market potential, a concept used by economic geographers, measures “a geographic area’s access to markets for inputs and outputs.”)

* A 10% increase in a city’s market potential is expected to be associated with a 4.5% increase in its average real estate price. “Changes in city real estate price dynamics should reflect the expected impact of major infrastructure investments.”

* Based on the study of four cities, the authors estimate that there is a 4.3% average increase in real estate price per billion passenger-kilometers annually.

* The introduction of high-speed rail can cause travel by other modes to drop, but overall can increase travel. After China’s Wuhan-Guangzhou bullet train was introduced in 2008, the number of weekly passengers on conventional train lines declined from 150,000 to 45,000; air flights fell from 13 to 9 per day; and highway traffic decreased. Overall, however, total passenger flow experienced a large net increase, indicating high-speed trains encouraged additional intercity trips.

* Overall, China’s high-speed network facilitates cross-city economic integration by improving market access, expanding labor market, and enhancing spatial agglomeration. By offering more location options to firms and workers, bullet trains reduce congestion and pollution within megacities, and stimulate the growth of the nearby second-tier cities.

The average construction cost is 100 million RMB per kilometer of new high speed rail line and upgrading regular rail lines to high speed lines is lower cost. The average operating cost is 0.3 RMB per person per kilometer.

100-750 kilometer (60-470 miles) distances are bullet train impacted areas.
The Beijing-Tianjin line moves 400,000 people per week on one way trips. Tianjin is 130 kilometers (78 miles) from Beijing. The price is 55 RMB (US$8.9) per one way ticket. This two and a half times the convention train ticket. China's middle class can afford the bullet train. Poor rural migrants cannot afford it but they do not travel much.

China's ministry of rail expects bullet train ridership to double over the next 10-15 years. This would be 4.7-7.2% annual growth.

How many percent of traffic volume for bullet train ?
Is its price high or normal ?? in comparing to air ticket ?
2.5 x conventional train ticket ... quite high , ??

I think high speed train must compete with lower speed train by performance ..
that's unclear to say what's better ...

Especially true to an average income lever country like China ...

In Japan, highspeed show its superior performance because Japanese hourly wages much higher ...

How much a normal worker or office in China earn for 1 hour ?
If it's not too high then why they must save 30min - 1 hour of travelling by paying high for highspeed?

I remember being surprised at how eager students were in Longzhou (a tiny, middle of nowhere town) to get a part-time job that paid 3rmb/hour (~$.35) handing out fliers for China Mobile for a few hours in front of a supermarket. Jobs like that were hard to come by in Longzhou, and most of the students settled for something that was steadier, but might only pay 2rmb/hour (~$.23).

The students who headed to the big cities (Mostly Guangzhou, Shenzhen and Dongguan) didn’t fair much better over the summer. Even working in a mobile phone factory (placing the screen into the case) only paid 7rmb/hour (~$1), but at the end of the month the company took food and rent (for the tiny factory dorm) out of the paychecks, leaving students with only about 4rmb/hour (~$.47). After an entire summer of working 60 hours a week, one student had only saved a few hundred dollars (This is the student Celia mentioned here).

Last edited:
this is a rather poorly compiled article with some interesting facts. but there are some misleading claims too; for instance, current data actually show that aviation and conventional rail ridership in China are still growing fast despite the double digit increase in HSR ridership, as a significantly large proportion of HSR ridership is stimulated by HSR rather than shifted from other modes--in other words, those people would not have traveled if HSR was not there.

anyway, there is no point doubting whether HSR will succeed in China any more, although it might take people decades to measure how successful it is. HSR could be on par with the Eisenhower highway system--although China has already built a similar expressway network and is still opening new expressways like crazy(last December they opened 1000km+ of expressways in one day), there is no Chinese infrastructure project other than HSR that can be so revolutionary in changing the mindset of regular Chinese.

Building the infrastructure always need huge budget, and that's the targets for undertable money to high level officials.
We are too familiar with that route . Create the project, ask the bank, put the money to project, then 10-30% of amount into high level officials, the effective aspect is the minority.

The effect should be known right after the launch of the high-speed rails ... how about the fill-in percent of each way ?
The success after some decades ? that's the biggest joke when review the project ... where's the money ?

How many percent of traffic volume for bullet train ?
Is its price high or normal ?? in comparing to air ticket ?
2.5 x conventional train ticket ... quite high , ??

I think high speed train must compete with lower speed train by performance ..
that's unclear to say what's better ...

Especially true to an average income lever country like China ...

In Japan, highspeed show its superior performance because Japanese hourly wages much higher ...

How much a normal worker or office in China earn for 1 hour ?
If it's not too high then why they must save 30min - 1 hour of travelling by paying high for highspeed?
HAHA... u consider Chinese can not pay for the ticket of highspeed train ?

Well i tell u now the average salary/month in China, it's about 4000RMB (work in office, lower salary in factory). China is a big country, according to the trival distance, the ticket of highspeed train would be 100 RMB - 600 RMB. Normal days air ticket from 400RMB - 1000RMB, but close to Chinese Spring Festival it raise to 1000RMB - 2000RMB. Above is my personal life experiense in China.

Only i need to say, China is much better than ur thought, Chinese ppl richer than ur thought.

8JFTRQ8V251H0025.jpg

10110510285b44e8c95c2a91bd.jpg

1633764645722042551.jpg

LOCAL201212011552000421083857353.jpg

1285469590947.JPG

01300000822820130781377641717.jpg

Last edited:
HAHA... u consider Chinese can not pay for the ticket of highspeed train ?
Well i tell u now the average salary/month in China, it's about 4000RMB (work in office, lower salary in factory). China is a big country, according to the trival distance, the ticket of highspeed train would be 100 RMB - 600 RMB. Normal days air ticket from 400RMB - 1000RMB, but close to Chinese Spring Festival it raise to 1000RMB - 2000RMB. Above is my personal life expensive in China.
Only i need to say, China is much better than ur thought.

High speed rails need a huge investment and operational cost is very high too ..
I don't doubt for someone who could pay for air ticket or high-speed rail, but I doubt for a person with average income could afford for everyday travelling or even every weekend take a seat on high-speed rail ...

You should consider my doubt as question about effective of public investment , which is from tax payer.
Same issue if our govt consider for a new project that use our tax paying ...
Or if a corps operate it, they should calculation for effective - cost aspect.

1. The salary 4000 RMB / month = 652$ / month . about 4$ per hour ?
2. The ticket for air and high-speed rails should be equal not has big gap as your above posting ...
But as you posted 100-600RMB ( 16-100$) / one way and double ( 32-200$ ) for two way ... for how far the high-speed rails can reach ?
----
My first comment is you could only use high-speed rails 1 month 1 time as maximum if you live far and 1 week 1 time if you live near ... That high-speed rail could not be use for every day travelling to work, school, even tourism ... of average income person like you. Which is the main purpose of Japan, Singapore, European ... residents ...

And you could save a lot by wake up earlier and use lower speed rail, if you live near the work place. 1 working hour earn 4$, save 30-60 mins ( one/two way ) not worth for cost more 10$ / oneway and 20$ / two way / 1 day
----
If highspeed rail purpose not for every travelling but for other purposes, the usage percent of it would be very low ...

High speed rails need a huge investment and operational cost is very high too ..
I don't doubt for someone who could pay for air ticket or high-speed rail, but I doubt for a person with average income could afford for everyday travelling or even every weekend take a seat on high-speed rail ...

You should consider my doubt as question about effective of public investment , which is from tax payer.
Same issue if our govt consider for a new project that use our tax paying ...
Or if a corps operate it, they should calculation for effective - cost aspect.

1. The salary 4000 RMB / month = 652$ / month . about 4$ per hour ?
2. The ticket for air and high-speed rails should be equal not has big gap as your above posting ...
But as you posted 100-600RMB ( 16-100$) / one way and double ( 32-200$ ) for two way ... for how far the high-speed rails can reach ?
----
My first comment is you could only use high-speed rails 1 month 1 time as maximum if you live far and 1 week 1 time if you live near ... That high-speed rail could not be use for every day travelling to work, school, even tourism ... of average income person like you. Which is the main purpose of Japan, Singapore, European ... residents ...

And you could save a lot by wake up earlier and use lower speed rail, if you live near the work place. 1 working hour earn 4$, save 30-60 mins ( one/two way ) not worth for cost more 10$ / oneway and 20$ / two way / 1 day
----
If highspeed rail purpose not for every travelling but for other purposes, the usage percent of it would be very low ...
The 600 RMB highspeed ticket is from GuangZhou city of GuangDong province to ZhengZhou city of HeNan province, it's near half of China, so 600 RMB or above is the longest trival by China highspeed train crossing 2 or 3 provinces. The 100 RMB highspeed ticket is short-range trival like from ShenZhen city to GuangZhou city within one province. Whatever usually the range taking China highspeed train over 100km, we only take it when bussines trival or holiday.

Nobody take it many times in one month, ppl usually take highspeed train once time after several months. The purpose of China highspeed train is help ppl to save time between two different provinces, not two cities.

I will not be happy if the govt use my money for building the high-speed rail for rich man than average person ...
can tell that's the govt investment or private investment ?
Anyway, the benefit of this high-speed rail is basically not for majority of Chinese people !!!

Train No. Departs Arrives Duration Distance(km) Seat Fares(RMB) Hard Sleeper Fares(RMB) Soft Sleeper Fares(RMB)

T36/T37Zhengzhou 02:43 Guangzhou 19:23 16h40m 1605 190/- 325/337/348 507/530
T266/T263Zhengzhou 03:35 Guangzhou 18:58 15h23m 1605 190/ -325/337/348 507/530

I dont believe the high speed rail will have same fare with low speed ( 100km / h ) rail as above. 530 vs 600 RMB for 1605 km ...

Last edited:
I will not be happy if the govt use my money for building the high-speed rail for rich man than average person ...
can tell that's the govt investment or private investment ?

Anyway, the benefit of this high-speed rail is basically not for majority of Chinese people !!!

what the hell is wrong with you. For rich people? This is for the basic worker. can you not do math? Cnelio already posted the price and average income.

All my relatives earn more than 10,000 rmb a month, some way more, taking a train is like taking a cab, but they got cars, and they all live in the same province as our grandparents and parents.

I sometimes take the rails if I got time, but usually I don't so only took it that one time. Also not in China as much as I want to.

a 300 to 600 ticket is not a big amount, even for factory workers, who usually earn 2,500-3000 as a minimum.

You do know maids at Shanghai go for as high as 20,000+ rmb a month and even the lower end ones go for 3,000 as a part time maid.

WE ARE NOT VIETNAM, we beat Vietnam not by having more people but we are 4+ times your per capita, and more if we take into account your population is way less, so the number is a more diluted as a result.

HSR Map as of 1st Jan. 2014:

CRH201401.png~original

Many more lines will be added to the map in 2014 and 2015.

Passenger ridership is great and continues to increase.

China-Russia rail bridge

Xinhua | 2014-2-27 0:23:02

By Xinhua

The construction of a cross-border railway bridge linking Russia and China officially began on Wednesday in Russia's far eastern Jewish Autonomous Oblast.

The 6,735-meter bridge will connect Tongjiang port in Northeast China's Heilongjiang Province with the Russian village of Nizhneleninskoye.

Chinese Ambassador to Russia Li Hui and Russian Deputy Transport Minister Alexey Tsydenov attended the commencement ceremony in Nizhneleninskoye.

The bridge, designed with an annual passage capacity of 21 million tons, is expected to highly improve the transportation conditions of Tongjiang port and offer a shortcut between China and Russia. The construction is forecast to take two and a half years with an estimated total investment of 2.58 billion yuan ($422 million).

The project's investors are China Railway Engineering Corporation, the Heilongjiang provincial government, and the Far East & Baikal Region Development Fund Open Joint Stock Company.

http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/845016.shtml

Last edited:
This is for the basic worker. can you not do math? Cnelio already posted the price and average income.
All my relatives earn more than 10,000 rmb a month, some way more, taking a train is like taking a cab, but they got cars, and they all live in the same province as our grandparents and parents.
I sometimes take the rails if I got time, but usually I don't so only took it that one time. Also not in China as much as I want to.
a 300 to 600 ticket is not a big amount, even for factory workers, who usually earn 2,500-3000 as a minimum.

Do you means 10,000 RMB is average income in China ? Or your relatives are rich ?
How a basic worker could spend 600 - 1200 RMB for return ticket of this high speed , while total earning of them is just 2,500 - 3000 rmb / month ?
They would use it 1 year 1 time ?

I said that this is for rich guys . Am I wrong ?? Can you do math ?

A New Top-Notch HRS and Motorway Corridor:enjoy:

104419shsshant28c6chzf.jpg

Hutong Bridge for 250 km/h Tong-Su-Jia HSR and 200km/h Hu-Tong Rail
33213780.jpg

New bridge to link Shanghai, Nantong

2014-02-13 16:24

WORK on the world’s longest cable-stayed bridge linking Shanghai and Nantong in Jiangsu Province will commence at the end of this month.

Authorities said the bridge will significantly shorten the travel time from the current 3 hours to just about an hour.

The massive 11-kilometer highway-railway bridge, including a 5-kilometer span across the Yangtze River, will be built at the cost of 14.2 billion yuan (US$2.3 billion). It is expected to be ready in 2017, the transportation authority of Jiangsu Province said yesterday.

Such bridges have one or more towers for cables that support the bridge deck.

The bridge will have four railway and six vehicle lanes:enjoy: and will be part of the 137 kilometer-long Shanghai-Nantong Railway.

With expected speed of 200 kilometers per hour, it will take only an hour for a one-way trip by bullet train from Jiading District in Shanghai to Nantong city, less than half the time of a long-distance bus.

The train trip to Nantong can take more than 8 hours now because of a circuitous route. Since there is no direct railway between Shanghai and Nantong, passengers have to transfer from Nanjing or other Jiangsu cities to Nantong.

The project will ease traffic pressure on the Jiangyin and Sutong bridges in Jiangsu Province.

中国将建千米级主跨公铁两用长江大桥-中新网

Do you means 10,000 RMB is average income in China ? Or your relatives are rich ?
How a basic worker could spend 600 - 1200 RMB for return ticket of this high speed , while total earning of them is just 2,500 - 3000 rmb / month ?

10,000 is about middle class, 30,000-50,000 rmb a month is more of a high middle class. A real rich normal person would earn 100,000 a month.

Most people who travel only travel that one time to see family. While others would travel for fun. This rail is built for the real middle class, which number 300 million, will expand to 600 million by the decades end.

So tell me does building a rail for 600 million sound ludicrous to you? Does building a rail that would free up more trains and rooms for lower income families sound ludicrous to you? Does increasing freight trains to better the economy sound ludicrous to you? Does providing millions of jobs sound ludicrous to you? Does better infrastructure to attract outside investment, does creating an export product sound ludicrous to you?

HSR are for ordinary folks,not moneybags。

Chinese rail fares,including HSR fares,are among the lowest in the world。

One-way journey of over 1500km from Shanghai to Shenzhen by HSR D trains,for example,costs less than 500 yuan(about 80 USD)。

One example should give you some idea of present Chinese wage。If you buy a flat and hire decoraters to do the fitting-out work(pluming etc),the going rate in Shanghai is over 300 yuan a day。That the worker works at more than one site is a different matter,with the result that these so-called coolies,once accustomed to their bikes,are now a new breed of car owners。:D

HRS is not built for today,it is built for (the not-2-distant)future when an average Chinese earns as much as his counterpart in the so-called developed country(As a matter of fact,the majority of people in the west can't considered rich at all。They are relatively well-off at best)

Last edited:
HSR are for ordinary folks,not moneybags。

Chinese rail fares,including HSR fares,are among the lowest in the world。

One-way journey of over 1500km from Shanghai to Shenzhen by HSR D trains,for example,costs less than 500 yuan(about 80 USD)。

One example should give you some idea of present Chinese wage。If you buy a flat and hire decoraters to do the fitting-out work(pluming etc),the going rate in Shanghai is over 300 yuan a day。That the worker works at more than one site is a different matter,with the result that these so-called coolies,once accustomed to their bikes,are now a new breed of car owners。:D

HRS is not built for today,it is built for (the not-2-distant)future when an average Chinese earns as much as his counterpart in the so-called developed country(As a matter of fact,the majority of people in the west can't considered rich at all。They are relatively well-off at best)

How speed of HSR D train? Is it government investment ?
All passengers use HSR to go to work at Shanghai for high wages ?

600 million with average 10,000 yuan / month means all of Chinese working people has the annual income 19,500 $
Do you tell me the truth ??? Even that's true they still unable use that HSR every week / month...

Back
Top Bottom