What's new

China willing to set up $5 billion oil refinery at Karachi

chinse want some of regulation to be suspended for hydro projects and this is causing deadlock. i think we should accept the chinse demand as they are fiancing most of the projects. we cant rely on oil/gas any more we have to immediately switch to hydro projects and govt stupidity is causing more problems

China willing to set up $5 billion oil refinery at Karachi

China has reportedly expressed willingness to set up an oil refinery near Karachi with an investment of $5 billion, official sources told Business Recorder.

For this purpose, China has requested the Government of Pakistan (GoP) to identify 4000 acres of land as early as possible.

Refinery, the GoP has been informed, will begin operations four years after development work starts formally.

This proposal will be further developed during the second meeting of China-Pakistan Joint Energy Working Group, which will commence from Tuesday (today) at a local hotel.

On Monday Minister for Water and Power, Syed Naveed Qamar, and the head of Chinese delegation Wu.

Guihuj held preliminary discussions, which mainly focused on Energy Infrastructure Fund (EIF) of $10 billion, renewable energy working group, formation of sectoral group and other issues.
The main focus of energy dialogue between the two countries will be Sindh-Engro coal mining and 1200 MW coal fired power plant and Sino Sindh Resources coal mining and 900 MW coal fired power plant.

In hydropower projects the main focus will be on 969 MW Neelum-Jehlum hydropower project, 4500 MW Diamer-Bhasha hydropower project and 1100 MW Kohala hydropower project.
Transmission system projects would include: (i) 500 kV Guddu transmission line; (ii) 220 kV Uch-II transmission line; (iii) dispersal of power from Neelum-Jehlum, Kohala, Karot and Azad Pattan hydropower projects; (iv) Thar Matiari transmission line project; and (v) dispersal of power from 630 MW Chashma Nuclear C3 and C4.
In renewable energy, three projects ie United Energy Pakistan Limited, 150 MW, China Three Gorges, 50 MW and Hydropower China, 100 MW, will come under discussion.

Other projects which will come under discussion will be: 425 Nandipur thermal power project, 548 MW Kaigah hydropower project and 640 MW Azad Pattan hydropower project.

The sources further revealed that other projects could also be included in the deliberations with the consent of both sides.

According to the sources, both sides have agreed to issue a "joint statement" instead of signing ceremony.

There are reports that during the first meeting JEWG in August last year, Beijing had conveyed to Islamabad that its investment in the water and power sector will be conditional on suspension of Public Procurement Regulatory Authority (PPRA) rules.

China willing to set up $5 billion oil refinery at Karachi | Business Recorder

:pakistan: :china:

this government has signed SO MANY CONTRACTS it unbelievable however work on NONE has started in 4 years!!!! so i am not happy. WE SHALL SEE when the ground breaking ceremony is held! until then all talk over grand meals will just happen. and every minister will go home and digest the meal and forget!

true the only problem is coming in between the project is fuc*ing comission of ppp

Projects have many phases to them, and they are being implemented phase by phase, first the feasibility studies and than the rest follows, there are many engineering problems to solve to begin with and China is known for being fast as well as Pakistan.
So there are no worries concerning the implementation of the most feasible of these projects in the shortest time span possible.
Thanks to the Chinese and Pakistanis insights.

Do we even have $5bn in oil reserve. If this is about converting coal to diesel then I'm for it.

China has reportedly expressed willingness to set up an oil refinery near Karachi with an investment of $5 billion, official sources told Business Recorder.

For this purpose, China has requested the Government of Pakistan (GoP) to identify 4000 acres of land as early as possible....................

Great news. I am sure that the 4,000 acres can be found within the next decade or so, as soon as possible, of course! :D

Come on Cheng, can we be optimistic, just in this thread. Pleaseeeeee....????:D

lets hope even half of these projects are implemented. Thanks to China. And go zardari as soon as you can.

great india is right beside and paksitan is going to china, come to us baby.

btw refining projects take long long time to implement.

I heard this word somewhere :S Oh wait its Great Britain But what Great India :O

I think China can achieve something bigger than the Marshall Plan in the near future, so many developing nations in Asia can become fully industrialized in the next 20 years.

Marshall Plan! Good thoughts, but China doesn't have enough money. Not yet.

This is the reason, China had to leave many projects in Pakistan as half done or not done at all.

1. Gawader port project as half done.
2. Copper mine project partial done
3. Thar coal, not done at all.

Many Pakistanis expect too much from China. And they should not.

Nothing against China. Just being a realist.

peace

Good for Pakistan.
It should welcome any investment from any nation to develop the economy.

China is also investing billions in India, so overall huge investments and trade can create good atmosphere.

u can take 3 billion every year from a frnd and call it an enemy. cant u let a true enemy invest 20 billion maybe will turn it into a frnd??

Pakistan and India can never be friends because we have conflicting interests everywhere.

China and Pakistan will continue to have mutual interests as long as there is india in the world map.

oh is willing word se ab mujhe sakht allergy hai... I have posted like 300 similar threads in last 5 years but foreign nations are always showing interest, then willing and then signing MoU's before backing off at the last minute. I will believe only when the refinery's construction work is completed

PS: I hope that is true and it really happens

Back
Top Bottom