What's new

China & Uzbekistan vow to step up partnership

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
China & Uzbekistan vow to step up partnership

China and Uzbekistan signed eight cooperation agreements here on Tuesday, pledging to step up their friendly and cooperative partnership to a higher level.

The signing of the agreements, which range from investment, economic cooperation, finance to natural resource, took place after talks between Chinese President Hu Jintao and his visiting Uzbek counterpart Islam Karimov.

During the talks, Hu offered a five-point proposal to consolidate the bilateral ties, suggesting the two nations work closer so to safeguard peace and stability in the region and the rest of the world.

Firstly, the two nation could enhance all-level exchanges and political mutual trust, Hu said, adding that both sides should maintain close high-level exchanges, deepen cooperation between governments, legislative bodies and parties, as well as develop and improve the bilateral cooperation mechanism.

Secondly, the Chinese president suggested that the two nations explore potentials for cooperation and further pragmatic cooperation.

Both parties should promote continued and steady growth in bilateral trade, broaden cooperation in energy, non-resources sectors, traffic and communication, Hu said.

The two countries should also improve the environment for investment to facilitate the investment of Chinese enterprises in Uzbekistan and vice versa, he added.

Thirdly, according to Hu, China and Uzbekistan should deepen security cooperation to safeguard regional stability. Both parties should enhance security dialogue and coordination within bilateral and multilateral frameworks and timely exchange information to crack down on the "three evil forces" of separatism, extremism and terrorism, including the "Eastern Turkistan" terrorist forces, and transnational organized crimes.

Fourthly, the two nations should expand people-to-people exchanges and promote non-governmental friendship, Hu said, calling on both sides to take the opportunity of the 20th anniversary of the establishment of China-Uzbekistan diplomatic relationship next year to push forward exchanges of different forms between the two peoples to further consolidate the social basis of bilateral friendship.

Finally, China and Uzbekistan could enhance multilateral coordination and mutual support.

Hu said China supports Uzbekistan's entrance into the World Trade Organization and is willing to deepen the coordination and cooperation with Uzbekistan within multilateral frameworks such as the United Nations and the Shanghai Cooperation Organization, Hu said.

Echoing Hu's proposal, Karimov said Uzbekistan attaches great importance to its relations with China and always views China as a reliable cooperation partner.

The Uzbek side is ready to work with China to further promote the two countries' friendly and cooperative partnership, Karimov noted.

Next year marks the 20th anniversary of the establishment of China-Uzbekistan diplomatic relations, Karimov said, adding that the two countries should make full use of this occasion to strengthen top-level exchanges, promote people-to-people exchanges and expand cooperation in various fields in order to bring more benefits to the peoples.

He said Uzbekistan will continue its staunch support for China on Taiwan and Tibet issues and work with China to combat the "three evil forces" for regional peace and stability.

The two heads of state also exchanged views on international and regional issues of common concern, according to a press release issued from the Chinese Foreign Ministry.

As Hu's guest, Karimov arrived in Beijing on Tuesday, starting his two-day state visit to China.

13836502_31n.jpg

China, Uzbekistan vow to step up partnership

Off topic: Hu Jintao is 5'8". From his hair at the very top measures up to those soldiers noses, and that's giving Hu an extra free inch or two, making these guys around 6'0 or more.

Then again, Northern Chinese are a lot taller than their southern counterpart.

Just an observation.

On topic: Good. China should continue to develop closer ties with SCO members.

Would you regard Jiangsu as southern china since it is south of the Yangtze.(where Hu is from)

Off topic: Hu Jintao is 5'8". From his hair at the very top measures up to those soldiers noses, and that's giving Hu an extra free inch or two, making these guys around 6'0 or more.

Then again, Northern Chinese are a lot taller than their southern counterpart.

Just an observation.

On topic: Good. China should continue to develop closer ties with SCO members.
The honor guards are picked based on their height.

I saw my elementary school classmates when I went back to China last year during a reunion. There were about 20 men from my class, all over 170cm except two. All three of my male cousins are over 185cm, with me being the shortest of my generation at 177cm. Considering I'm from Guangdong, I don't think the height gap is that wide.

However, the concept of Southerners is a bit vague. Most in my home province views anyone north of Yangzte River to be Northerners. However, I only see those north of Yellow River to fit that category.

Back
Top Bottom