What's new

China trains now fastest in the world 350 km per h. America too poor to build bullet trains.

Lol. Whats with the title.

Trains in america wont work because US has the most biggest and robust road network that connects the entire country.

Trains in america wont work because US has the most biggest and robust road network that connects the entire country.

Many rail networks (laid down in the 1860’s) were discontinued when airplane travel became popular in the 1960’s. Plus you have to take people to court to authorize eminent domain to take their private property away to lay down tracks.

Building the highways in the late 1950’s and 1960’s caused lots of people (who were not all poor peasants like in China) to fight the government in court over having their land taken away. Some were successful. In Boston a highway (Route 95) was stopped cold and had to be rerouted around the city.

upload_2019-2-28_13-26-44.png

Building high-speed rail would simply be too expensive because of all the people you’d have to buy property from. People are much wealthier now than in the 1950’s. You’d have to pay crazy money to buy people out. Probably near $200M for every mile of track in places.

Last edited:

high speed rail has limited use cases in America

Chinese high speed trains are too slow. how go in a train at 350 kmph from LA to New York when you can fly in a Boeing jetliner at 900 kmph. Keeping the train tracks safe over long distances under different weather conditions is cost prohibitive

Errrrr. No. Your high speed train in California have more lawyers working on it than engineers.

Your country is run by lawyers. China is run by engineers.

high speed rail in California is a joke

Chinese high speed trains are too slow. how go in a train at 350 kmph from LA to New York when you can fly in a Boeing jetliner at 900 kmph. Keeping the train tracks safe over long distances under different weather conditions is cost prohibitive

Not entirely true. Train can carry more then people. It can carry tanks. It also brings development to all villages and towns along it's entire line.

High speed rail for shorter distance is amazing and ideal replacement for regional jets.

The US doesn't have the population density that makes railways and dense public transportation means a priority. Plus, China can make all these amazing projects because everything there is cheap, most importantly, the wages and the labor required is dirt cheap!

Many rail networks (laid down in the 1860’s) were discontinued when airplane travel became popular in the 1960’s. Plus you have to take people to court to authorize eminent domain to take their private property away to lay down tracks.

Building the highways in the late 1950’s and 1960’s caused lots of people (who were not all poor peasants like in China) to fight the government in court over having their land taken away. Some were successful. In Boston a highway (Route 95) was stopped cold and had to be rerouted around the city.

View attachment 543033

Building high-speed rail would simply be too expensive because of all the people you’d have to buy property from. People are much wealthier now than in the 1950’s. You’d have to pay crazy money to buy people out. Probably near $200M for every mile of track in places.

Yes, nailed it. Yes, all those reasons.

But... A 350 KM/Hr train from the downtown of any major city to another major city's downtown is not too slow compared with even a fast jet considering time to the airport, the security things, the luggage check-in, luggage collecting, the cramped waiting areas with seat hoggers, time from airport.... Plus in trains you can walk around, stretch legs, strike great conversations, dine in comfort, imbibe some cold-ones--ummm, watch the scenery.

I have done a few cross USA and cross Canada multi-day trips in Amtrak/Via Rail, and also a long to/from Manhattan, and would never choose damn air travel if I have the time!! In fact, I'd choose stinky Greyhound buses over air travel!!!

Actually, the Chinese are too poor to have their own SUVs, so they need to use trains. :D

(And for longer journeys, Americans use luxurious RVs.)

But... A 350 KM/Hr train from the downtown of any major city to another major city's downtown is not too slow compared with even a fast jet considering time to the airport, the security things!

I believe you have to go through metal detectors/security in China to get on their cross country trains.

Not entirely true. Train can carry more then people. It can carry tanks. It also brings development to all villages and towns along it's entire line.

Why would we want to send tanks in a hurry ? or that matter any country ??

Why would I want to go from Los Angeles to New York in high speed rail ? It is 14 hour journey
It is expensive maintaining 3000 km of track

But... A 350 KM/Hr train from the downtown of any major city to another major city's downtown is not too slow compared with even a fast jet considering time to the airport, the security things, the luggage check-in, luggage collecting, the cramped waiting areas with seat hoggers, time from airport.... Plus in trains you can walk around, stretch legs, strike great conversations, dine in comfort, imbibe some cold-ones--ummm, watch the scenery.

I have done a few cross USA and cross Canada multi-day trips in Amtrak/Via Rail, and also a long to/from Manhattan, and would never choose damn air travel if I have the time!! In fact, I'd choose stinky Greyhound buses over air travel!!!

what makes you think the trains will not have security and luggage checkin issues ??

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom