What's new

China to establish global satellite navigation system by 2020

Well the project only started in 2006 and we will launch in 2011 only 5 yrs

this is the weakest link in china's military right now.

Back on topic.

Beidou 2 aka Compass will reach operational regional deployment in 2012

Beidou-coverage.png

Beidou I, composed by 4 satellites,is a regional position system which has been operational for several years. while Beidou II is a operational global position system with 7 satellites launched so far. 5 of them are launched in 2010 year alone, with 10 satellites left to be launched in the following ten years to fulfill the status of full operation. that is not even an problem given the current development rate.

in terms of commercial development, no existing position system is remotely comparable to GPS, which has already developed a mature industry chain. a low end GPS chip only cost three dollars. i heard a beidou terminal cost almost 10k yuan currently.

I do not think it will do that, right? The control is in Russia's hand and Russia can shut india out anytime it wants. Who wants such a system that matters so much to its survival?

In this case, Indian ones are the Russian ones. India pay some money and claim the Russian GLONASS as their own as India do not even have a plan for launching their own global naviagion system. Even their regional test system has been delayed indefinitely. So that is why likeT-50 and many other systems, they latch on to the Russia technology.

Beidou I, composed by 4 satellites,is a regional position system which has been operational for several years. while Beidou II is a operational global position system with 7 satellites launched so far. 5 of them are launched in 2010 year alone, with 10 satellites left to be launched in the following ten years to fulfill the status of full operation. that is not even an problem given the current development rate.

in terms of commercial development, no existing position system is remotely comparable to GPS, which has already developed a mature industry chain. a low end GPS chip only cost three dollars. i heard a beidou terminal cost almost 10k yuan currently.

Down to 3000 yuan. goal is 1000 yuan in next few years.

And military GPS is around 300 dollars per unit.

Can you focus on the topic of the thread instead... ? (I don't like trolling here...so will keep India out of this thread unless others oblige :) )

dude look at the post u put india into the talk int first place, he just asks u some questions abt that```and u seem to boast india in almost very threads where regarding china's achievements in technology, military and social development, so u r kind of expecting some 'bad' come backs, as u should know chinese dont like to be compared with Indians!

Must be a good news for the GPS makers... Russia, India and China announcing their own satellites navigation systems.

Are you sure india is developing their own navigation system?For now,im just know that China,Russia and Europe are developing them.

2020....??

can it be done little early? :D

Regional coverage is what China is aiming for primarily at Asia for both military and civilian use. A modern airforce using a borrowed military GPS is just not a tenable option.

Back
Top Bottom