What's new

China to boost pay for PLA forces by 40% this year, the pay rise narrows the wage gap between civil servants and military officers

Free housing, free education for children's. Heavy subsidized for alot of expenses and even car. Mostly free medical fee even for family members. Do Singapore military offer this?

I don't know since I don't know any high ranking officers. But my friend who's a fresh grad and signed on as a LTA in the navy already makes twice that amount with his basic lol.

I am quite shocked that you can even compare the budget of China with US or even Sg.

Bruh, I didn't compare to the US and SG in the first place as I know different countries have vastly different income levels. It makes no sense to compare Switzerland and Cambodia. You were the one who assumed I was comparing to the US or SG.

I was comparing to Beijing itself in my 2nd post. The average worker in Beijing already makes 10K Yuan? Even higher when I read Chinese forums? A colonel is a pretty influential position and thus my question.

More shocking is Singapore is only paying 2k sing for a level lieutenant? That's pretty low mate considering you can't even afford a hdb with that pay.

Most A lvl/diploma lieutenants are basically 18 year old males who started serving even before finishing their studies. Most males don't get married and purchase a HDB flat at the age of 18 lol. Heck, you have to be 21 to apply for a HDB flat, and even so it takes a few years for their home to be built.

By their early 20s, most would have finished their studies or taken a private degree part time since the disparity in wages is indeed pretty wide. And for those who signed on (regulars), they can study first before serving. My friends who signed on as an officer are already taking 5K+ as a fresh grad in the SAF at age 23/24, and the rest of us are still studying because we have serve 2 full years in the military first with a meagre allowance lol.

And why can't you afford a HDB with 2K? You lived in SG before right? You should know that there are still many who don't make 2K household income a month, especially our poor elderly. Despite our high GDP per capita figures, not everyone is well to do here bruh.

1611475800918.png

But the lower income can still afford a flat, a small one of course. And that's the whole purpose of HDB; to provide housing for the masses, including the lower income.

Latest BTO (Nov 2020) in Sembawang:
1611476120464.png

Anyway, I digressed.

Bruh, I didn't compare to the US and SG in the first place as I know different countries have vastly different income levels. It makes no sense to compare Switzerland and Cambodia. You were the one who assumed I was comparing to the US or SG.

I was comparing to Beijing itself in my 2nd post. The average worker in Beijing already makes 10K Yuan? Even higher when I read Chinese forums? A colonel is a pretty influential position and thus my question.

Most A lvl/diploma lieutenants are basically 18 year old males who started serving even before finishing their studies. Most males don't get married and purchase a HDB flat at the age of 18 lol. Heck, you have to be 21 to apply for a HDB flat, and even so it takes a few years for their home to be built.

By their early 20s, most would have finished their studies or taken a private degree part time since the disparity in wages is indeed pretty wide. And for those who signed on (regulars), they can study first before serving. My friends who signed on as an officer are already taking 5K+ as a fresh grad in the SAF at age 23/24, and the rest of us are still studying because we have serve 2 full years in the military first with a meagre allowance lol.

And why can't you afford a HDB with 2K? You lived in SG before right? You should know that there are still many who don't make 2K household income a month, especially our poor elderly. Despite our high GDP per capita figures, not everyone is well to do here bruh.

View attachment 709906

But the lower income can still afford a flat, a small one of course. And that's the whole purpose of HDB; to provide housing for the masses, including the lower income.

Latest BTO (Nov 2020) in Sembawang:
View attachment 709907

Anyway, I digressed.
Bro I am a Singaporean PR. 2k is crap pay, and a colonel is not 18 years old. So I know what is happening in SG ok. Even 3k sing is crap pay. The average Shanghai and Beijing worker is around 10k rmb, most of course can't afford to buy the apartments here, and at most one person can only own 2 to 3 units. The thing is Chinese government don't want them to. Buy in shanghai or Beijing they want them to buy in tier 2 or 3 cities. You are the one posting sg and US pay scale and yet you tell me you are not comparing. The what's the point? That's why 20k rmb is actually good pay in China, pensions and health benefits even better than US or SG. I don't think a soldier can afford to pay for cancer treatment in SG mate, it's more or less a death sentence. In China its fully covered. That's the hidden benefit and we pay them till they die, soldier in US or Sg don't have that. In sg once your cpf is gone, you are fcked, that's why old aunties clean plates on hawker centers. In some sense I think social security is actually better in Chinese tier 1 cities than Sg, that's my view. Don't get me wrong, I love the sg model, but sg scale is totally different

It means bribery.

A truly professional military do not have 'bonus' pay. You can get supplemental pay such as for housing cost in unique economic areas like NYC or SanFran, but once you get a different assignment elsewhere, you lose that assistance. Other supplemental pay are for combat, hazardous duties such as Explosive Disposal, or flight pay which mean monthly proficiency rating. All of these MUST be public information so it is no secret that how much anyone at any rank is paid in the US military. There is no 'bonus' pay.

Your uncle is receiving bribes and he ain't gonna say shit about how much. :lol:
I think he meant allowances. Even in Pakistan basic pay is barely adequate but it gets compensated when allowances are included like uniform, transportation, housing , TA/DA etc.

You are the one posting sg and US pay scale and yet you tell me you are not comparing.

I started off comparing to Beijing, and you replied that I can't compare to the US and SG even when I made no mention about SG and the US. I thus replied with the payscale afterwards. If that was my intention, I would compare right from the start.

I don't think a soldier can afford to pay for cancer treatment in SG mate, it's more or less a death sentence.

Lol we're not the US. We have universal healthcare. For the very poor who can't afford their bills, there's Medifund. The approval rate is 99%.

Medifund: Some Singaporeans fall through the cracks of Medisave and Medishield. For them, there’s Medifund — Singapore’s payer-of-last-resort.

Medifund’s structure is unusual in two ways. First, it’s based on a $3 billion endowment, with the government only able to spend the previous year’s investment income to pay for the needy’s medical bills; dipping into the endowment itself is forbidden. Second, it’s administered with a lot of discretion at the hospital level — so rather than qualifying for Medifund based on income, the way Americans do for Medicaid, hospital boards administer Medifund to the patients they judge needy enough to qualify. This is less restrictive than it might sound — the government says that more than 99 percent of applications are approved.

In sg once your cpf is gone, you are fcked, that's why old aunties clean plates on hawker centers. In some sense I think social security is actually better in Chinese tier 1 cities than Sg, that's my view.

Yes, the retirement system in Chinese tier 1 cities is probably more generous than in SG.

It's an entirely different system with different pros and cons. But I won't delve into it here.

I think he meant allowances. Even in Pakistan basic pay is barely adequate but it gets compensated when allowances are included like uniform, transportation, housing , TA/DA etc.
The US military have the same allowances. The difference is ours are not secrets which our Chinese friend seemed to imply. Further, his English is more than adequate to know the difference between 'allowance' and 'bonus'.

Here is a colonel's pay...

Does not matter if Air Force or Army. All eagles gets the same BASE pay.

Here are allowances...

None of these are secrets. So with allowances, one colonel may have final pay higher than his peers. But these are not 'bonuses' like quarterly profit sharing.

If I do not know or is somehow prevented from learning my CO's pay, then there is something wrong. Not that I should be snooping around someone's finances to start. But in the military, we are all public servants and BY LAW our pay are public info. It may take me some math to calculate my CO's pay, but then anyone in my squadron can do the same for anyone else, not just to my pay.

A colonel in Beijing makes only $2K currently?
Signals majors are $19,000-21,000 annually. I know a few of them.

Colonels are around $25-28k annual on paper, but it's certain that a major rank is the apex of career for nearly every officer without "political background" or honey. So they are not ordinary men by default.

Majors may get symbolic promotions closer to the end of their career, and few lt. colonels may get a brigade leader immediately prior to retirement, but, effectively, ordinary officer promotion hits a grinding halt after getting into majors. This is why there are so many majors are leaving the army very early. I met tons of them with engineering contractors working around the world: engineering, signals, logistics, supplies, construction corps.

I believe everybody above a deputy corps leader is more of purely a political officer, than a military one.

Last edited:
Signals majors are $19,000-21,000 annually. I know a few of them.

Colonels are around $25-28k annual on paper, but it's certain that a major rank is the apex of career for nearly every officer without "political background" or honey. So they are not ordinary men by default.

Majors may get symbolic promotions closer to the end of their career, and few lt. colonels may get a brigade leader immediately prior to retirement, but, effectively, ordinary officer promotion hits a grinding halt after getting into majors. This is why there are so many majors are leaving the army very early. I met tons of them with engineering contractors working around the world: engineering, signals, construction corps.

I believe everybody above a deputy corps leader is more of purely a political officer, than a military one.

Do your major friends look well off?

I don't know since I don't know any high ranking officers. But my friend who's a fresh grad and signed on as a LTA in the navy already makes twice that amount with his basic lol.
Twice that amount. But need to fork out own money get housing, education for his own kids. Use his own money for own medical bills and his family medical bills. You think that is good deal?

A retired PLA BG (Da Xiao) relative of mine gets about 2k USD pension each month. But they have free healthcare, free housing...etc.
A high flying bird we have here, though Da Xiao is not a General rank. A British Brigadier, but a one star BG.

No, otherwise why would they quit for a civilian job. What have you thought?:blink:

I don't know. Your compatriots are claiming that they get benefits from free housing to half prices at restaurants, so I'm asking you lol.
Twice that amount. But need to fork out own money get housing, education for his own kids. Use his own money for own medical bills and his family medical bills. You think that is good deal?

You wanna compare a 23 year old fresh grad lieutenant to a colonel?

Last edited:
China is 11k$ GDP, big cities about 25k$. Singapore or the USA is about 60k$. So how Chinese would have the same salary? When they retire they don't have to live in expensive cities like Beijing or Shanghai they can move to smaller and cheaper cities.

So now a 40% pay rise is pretty good. It will rise again later, with GDP growth.

China is 11k$ GDP, big cities about 25k$. Singapore or the USA is about 60k$. So how Chinese would have the same salary? When they retire they don't have to live in expensive cities like Beijing or Shanghai they can move to smaller and cheaper cities.

So now a 40% pay rise is pretty good. It will rise again later, with GDP growth.

I was just asking whether a colonel really makes $2K in Beijing, and then a bunch jumped at me saying that they have many benefits and I can't compare to the US or SG before I even mentioned about the US and SG lol.

Colonel (pułkownik) base salary in Poland without benefits.

8 320 – 9 660 zł (before taxes)
2230 USD - 2589 USD.

15K$ GDP

So not a bad salary for Chinese colonels.

Back
Top Bottom