What's new

China starts "combat ready" patrols in disputed seas

you admitted that your goverment did not control philippine press. that is why philippine press likes to say innosense people about china in the way they want, of course they are liar and biased, they wont be responsible, fined or critized for misleading people! just see the way you guys filipino discuss reflect what you have learnt from your press. totally biased, misleading and hiding the truth! that is why your press is BS. stupid filipino wont be smart enough to aware of the truth!

If freedom of the press is something alien to you, then you should not be in Canada, you should be in China instead serving your masters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_speech_by_country#Canada

AFP to help secure fishermen in shoal - The Philippine Star » News » Headlines

MANILA, Philippines - The Armed Forces of the Philippines will support and coordinate efforts with the Philippine Coast Guard to ensure the safety of fishermen returning to the Panatag (Scarborough) Shoal, AFP spokesman Col. Arnulfo Burgos Jr. said yesterday.

“In coordination with concerned agencies of the government, we will continue to relentlessly pursue all means necessary to ensure that our citizens are well-protected at all times and that they are able to exercise their freedom to include maritime rights within our sovereign territory,” Burgos said.

“The safety and security of our citizens will always be of paramount concern in all our undertakings,” he added.

The fishing ban imposed by the Philippine government in the shoal will be lifted on July 15.

Malacañang, however, has yet to decide whether to send back government ships to the shoal.

When asked if the lifting of the fishing ban would lead to the redeployment of government ships, Burgos said the Coast Guard, not the military, is directly involved in the issue.

A security official said the lifting of the fishing ban in Panatag could pave way for the return of Philippine government vessels to the disputed area.

The official, who requested anonymity, said allowing the fishermen to conduct fishing activities in the area would entail the presence of security forces to ensure their safety.

“The responsibility of authorities in the area is not just to apprehend illegal activities but also to ensure the safety of fishermen,” the official told The STAR.

“If fishermen are allowed to return (to the shoal), there ought to be personnel or vessels that would oversee them,” the official added.

The Philippine government earlier declared a fishing ban in Panatag Shoal last May to replenish the fish stock in the area.

China also declared a fishing ban even if the shoal is part of Philippine territory, as provided by the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS).

However, China seems to have violated its own fishing ban due to the continuous presence of Chinese fishing boats inside the shoal’s lagoon.

Rommel Banlaoi, executive director of think tank Philippine Institute for Peace, Violence and Terrorism Research, said China could take advantage of the Philippines’ absence in the shoal.

“It confirms the observation that the Philippines lacks capacity to sustain and enhance our presence in the shoal despite its geographic proximity. China can take advantage of this weakness,” Banlaoi told The STAR.

“But at present, the holding of CARAT (Cooperation Afloat Readiness and Training) will enable the Philippines and its Asian allies to monitor the developments and activities in the shoal,” he added, referring to the joint Philippine-US naval exercises that will start today.

Banlaoi said the participation of some Philippine ships in CARAT is one of the reasons why the government is not yet sending vessels to Panatag Shoal.

“Philippine ships should return to Panatag Shoal to maintain our presence and demonstrate our peaceful control and benign administration of the area with or without fishing ban,” he said.

Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile, on the other hand, called on President Aquino to intensify in the modernization of the AFP if the government wants leverage against China over the territorial disputes in the West Philippine Sea.

Enrile noted that the annual budget allocated for the country’s military is not enough.

But he said Malacañang should be given leeway to address this and provide the military its much-needed boost for modernization.

Enrile also welcomed the holding of the CARAT exercises.

Enrile shrugged off reports that the joint military exercise is a move to provoke China.

“Of course, that is what they will say, so what? If you’re provoked, move on… Peace? We always pray for peace but in this world, you always think of worst condition, and prepare for it, not assume a peaceful world, there no such thing, peace all the time,” Enrile said.

He said the people should not always put limitation to the government especially in terms of modernizing the country’s depleted military hardware and equipment.

“The day will come that you will go to war, so you need to spend for that to serve the country. What will you do if your country will be taken away from you and what will you do if countries like China will swallow you alive?” he asked.

If these Ships head to the shoal and China fires or otherwise sinks or disables them in a hostile fashion and the Philippines requests assistance, the US will be treaty bound to come to the shoal and ensure their continued safety under the MDT.

Look towards mid July.

'China's claims in Spratlys groundless'

by Jojo Malig, ABS-CBNnews.com
Posted at 07/02/2012 11:31 PM | Updated as of 07/02/2012 11:31 PM

MANILA, Philippines - China's claims in the South China Sea are groundless, an Australian defense expert said at a recent Washington DC forum organized by a US think-tank.

Professor Carlyle Thayer from the Australian Defense Force Academy said at the June 27-28 gathering sponsored by the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) that China's so-called U-shaped line in the South China Sea is not legal.

He said the line, which China created in 1948, was drawn before the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS), which was signed in 1982.

The 2-day forum, entitled “The East Sea and Asia Pacific in Transition: Exploring Options for Managing Disputes” focused on maritime security concerns in the region.

The gathering took take place a week before US Secretary of State Clinton attends the ASEAN Regional Forum (ARF) and Post-Ministerial Conference (PMC) in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.

Doubts over China's claim

US Senator Joseph Lieberman, in a keynote speech during the forum, also expressed doubts over China's 9-dash line.

"The lack of clarity... over the rationale for China's nine-dash line, has been especially unsettling," he said.

Lieberman said he is concerned about China’s behavior in region.

"I believe it’s pushing the region in the wrong direction and sending a message that is discouraging about what kind of great power China will be and how it will relate to its closest neighbors," he said.

"The overly broad scope, nature and basis of China’s claims are quite naturally fostering a climate of anxiety and driving other parties, most recently Vietnam and the Philippines, to fortify their own claims," he added.

Lieberman said, while the US is not a claimant in the disputes over the Spratlys, Washington has a keen interest in the area.

He said more than $1.2 trillion worth of US trade flows through the South China Sea every year.

He added that what happens in the region matters to the US because it "is a test of whether the geopolitics of a rising Asia are going to be defined by win-win cooperation or zero-sum competition."

"China’s conduct in the South China Sea will inevitably affect its relations with the U.S. and just about everyone else in the world. And in this respect, what happens in the South China Sea really is everyone’s business," Lieberman said.

China will be isolated

"When China pursues policies in the South China Sea that are heavy-handed or lack a clear basis in international law, it naturally creates distrust, increases the danger of miscalculation and leaves China, I’m afraid, more isolated in the region and in the world. That’s not an outcome that any of us should want, least of all the United States," he added.

During the forum, Lieberman praised President Benigno Aquino for his handling of the Scarborough shoal dispute.

"The de-escalation of the conflict in the Scarborough Shoal was very important. And I appreciate that President Aquino actually reacted – I think he handled it in a very balanced and sensitive way," he told Philippine Ambassador to Washington Jose L. Cuisia, Jr.

The US senator said the Mutual Defense Treaty between the the US and Manila "is a matter of national obligation" for Americans.

"It’s real," he said.

He added, however, that the US should "strengthen the Philippines defensively so that no one runs the risk of trying to take advantage" of the country.

Lieberman said Washington and Manila are holding discussion "the US Senate Armed Services Committee is interested in, which are aimed particularly to give (the Philippines) some greater defensive capabilities."

Kurt Campbell, US Assistant State Secretary for East Asia and the Pacific, said Clinton will take the lead on high-level diplomacy in the region.

"The secretary will be rolling out some specific initiatives when she visits Southeast Asia in the next few weeks," he said.

Praise for Aquino

He also praised the Philippines and President Benigno Aquino's handling of the South China Sea issues.

"I must commend our colleagues in the Philippines who, I think, are working hard to ensure that peace and stability prevails," Campbell said.

"This is one of the best governments we’ve seen in decades. We want to support that government," he said.

He described Aquino recent visit to the US as a success.

"He is tackling corruption in his country in a way that we have not seen in over a generation," Campbell said.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/global-filipino/world/07/02/12/chinas-claims-spratlys-groundless

If freedom of the press is something alien to you, then you should not be in Canada, you should be in China instead serving your masters.

Freedom of speech by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
where i should be is my business not yours! you are going to show your dictatorship again! i did not mention i dont enjoy freedom of press. but press that freely misleads people like in philippine is something i should show it to people that the press in philippine critizing china is biased, hiding truth and misleading!

where i should be is my business not yours! you are going to show your dictatorship again! i did not mention i dont enjoy freedom of press. but press that freely misleads people like in philippine is something i should show it to people that the press in philippine critizing china are biased, hiding truth and misleading!

So Xinhua, CCTV and Global Times are already based in the Philippines?

So Xinhua, CCTV and Global Times are already based in the Philippines?

these presses show the truth against the misleading logic of some commercial-profit-lead presses! hopefully, they can be in philippine to show filipino the truth!

these presses show the truth against the misleading logic of some commercial-private-lead presses! hopefully, they can be in philippine to show filipino the truth!

Unless we become communists, and unless we shun democracy press freedom will flourish in my country.
I wonder if the same a*s licking you are giving the Chinese were the same you have given the Americans post 9/11 and pre-Osama bin Laden's death.

where i should be is my business not yours! you are going to show your dictatorship again! i did not mention i dont enjoy freedom of press. but press that freely misleads people like in philippine is something i should show it to people that the press in philippine critizing china is biased, hiding truth and misleading!

Philippine media misleads the Filipinos through sheer incompetence, recklessness and carelessness. They are not a reliable source of information.

Philippine media misleads the Filipinos through sheer incompetence, recklessness and carelessness. They are not a reliable source of information.

Then why are you selectively believing in Philippine media then?

It probably does not belong to the Philippines according to an OP Ed piece of the largest circulating Philippine newspaper.

It appears the disputed area is really not yours. Even your own government does not recognize it. In addition, the US does not recognize Unclos and therefore does not recognize those rock island. Darn, the Filipinos really are fuc#ed!! Perhaps its time for the Pinoys to send some flowers to Beijing.

Check this out Psst
:fie:

Unless we become communists, and unless we shun democracy press freedom will flourish in my country.
I wonder if the same a*s licking you are giving the Chinese were the same you have given the Americans post 9/11 and pre-Osama bin Laden's death.

see, the way you enjoy freedom of misleading in philippine makes you so crude! we never say someone "a*s licking" like you! probably, the filipino freedom of misleading has taught such kind of f!lthy sexual precept. no wonder they are not awake to learn the truth!

In 1958, the People's Republic of China (PRC) issued a declaration defining its territorial waters within what is known as the nine-dotted line which encompassed the Spratly Islands.

The Republic of China (ROC) named 132 of the South China Sea Islands in 1932 and 1935. In 1933, ROC government logged official protest to the French government after its occupation of Taiping Island.[5] After World War II, ROC government occupied the islands earlier controlled by the Japanese. In 1947, the Ministry of Interior renamed 149 of the islands. Later in November, the Secretary Department of Guangdong Government was authorized to publish the Map of the South China Sea Islands.

We are talking about sovereignty. As for sovereignty, its not discovery and naming. It's history, use/occupation and control/jurisdiction. China claims to have discovered it and has a history over it, used it for a multitude of uses but he never had control and jurisdiction over it. China never controlled the area. China never managed the area, never had the Chinese government in the area. So ergo, CHINA DO NOT HAVE SOVEREIGNTY OVER THE AREA. The Chinese government merely claims jurisdiction in these areas but they do not have effective jurisdiction as required for sovereignty. China has to prove indisputable sovereignty before he can rightfully claim the islands. Without this, this action is as pointless as just drawing a map with China's name on it.

200BC around – China firstly discovered the Spratly Islands

The Chinese claim to have 'been there first' is like arguing that Europeans got to Australia before its aboriginal inhabitants. Can you identify specific historical evidence supporting that China discovered Spratly Islands in 200BC??? I BET YOU CAN'T.

220 – Nansha (Spratly) Island was settled by Chinese monks, building up a monastery on that island.

Can you identify specific historical evidence supporting that Chinese monks build a monastery in Spratly Island in 220AD??? I BET YOU CAN'T.

789 – The Tang Dynasty, China included the Nansha Islands into its administrative map

Have you seen the MAP??? I BET YOU DID'T. Can you post the map here??? I BET YOU CAN'T. BUT WE CAN SHOW YOU OUR MAP.

Philippine Maps:

http://i45.tinypic.com/oqjb6u.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/4kbp1y.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/33feyvl.jpg

Official maps of the Yuan Dynasty and Ching
Dynasty, including but not limited to Da Qing Zhi Sheng Quan Tu
(published in 1862) and Huang Chao Yi Tong Yu Di Zen Du (published in
1894), show that the southernmost extent of China ends at Hainan islands

[Huang chao zhi sheng yu di quan tu] /

“La Relación del suceso de la venida del tirano chino del gobernador Guido de Lavezares 1575 Épica española en Asia en el siglo XVI" - states it well - as well as a recognition by a Ming Dynasty emisary of the Philippines then known as Las Islas Filipinas; as 'Beyond China's realm' and they also exchanged maps and bounderies, which showed China had no claims south of islands of the Formosa

990 – Spratley Islands became a part of the Northern Song area in Hainan

Can you identify specific historical evidence supporting that Spratly Islands became part of the Northern Song in 990AD??? I BET YOU CAN'T.

1121 – Kublai Khan controlled most of the islands during China’s Yuan Dynasty

Can you identify specific historical evidence supporting that Kublai Khan controlled most of the islands during China’s Yuan Dynasty??? I BET YOU CAN'T.

China was asked to provide the 1279 map………………and the CCP hasn’t been able to do so! China was also asked to provide the exact coordinates that prove the 9 or 11 dash line ownership according to ancient Chinese claims………..and the CCP also wasn’t able to produce any documentation to support their claims!

The fact that the CCP can’t show anyone these Yuan Dyanasty maps is most revealing!

However, our evidences are real and factual and cannot be rebuked, unlike that of China's where their claims are unclear, the evidence either fabricated or missing.

If your government treats you like idiots who would believe anything they say, don't put the rest of the world at the same level that you are on.

The rest of the world relies on EVIDENCE. Not just whatever BS spouting out of the mouths of you Chinese.

China can't prove Spratlys claim

MANILA, Philippines - Chinese authorities have failed to identify specific historical evidence backing Beijing's claims that it owns disputed islands in the West Philippine Sea, a confidential US embassy cable published by anti-secrecy group WikiLeaks said.

Cable 08BEIJING3499, sent to Washington by the US embassy in Beijing in September 9, 2008, said a Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) official and a local scholar could not identify specific historical records to justify China's "Nine Dashes" claim that covers the whole Spratlys and areas within other countries' exclusive economic zones (EEZs).

MFA Department of Treaty and Law Oceans and Law of the Sea Division Deputy Director Yin Wenqiang told a US embassy political officer on August 30, 2008 that "China has indisputable sovereignty over the islands in the South China Sea and the adjacent waters."

However, the US official said "Yin admitted he is not aware of the historical basis for the 'Nine Dashes'" and only mentioned unspecified "Chinese historical documents" that indicate the basis for China's claims on territory west of the Philippines, according to the cable.

The US official also talked to Beijing University Asia scholar Yang Baoyun about China's claims.

Yang said China's claims "date back to ancient times, prior to the development of the modern nation-state."

"Neither MFA's Yin nor Beijing University's Yang could specify a historical document that indicated the basis for the demarcation of the 'Nine Dashes'," the cable added.

Yang referred to a 2000 MFA "white paper" on the Spratlys. "However, the white paper devotes little attention to the history of the "Nine Dashes," providing, for example, only vague references to areas frequented by Chinese fisherman from Hainan," the memo said.

TREATY OF PEACE – The Republic of China and Japan

Article 2

It is recognised that under Article 2 of the Treaty of Peace which Japan signed at the city of San Francisco on 8 September 1951 (hereinafter referred to as the San Francisco Treaty), Japan has renounced all right, title, and claim to Taiwan (Formosa) and Penghu (the Pescadores) as well as the Spratley Islands and the Paracel Islands

Never did it mention in the treaty that the Spratlys and Paracel Islands are being given to China. End of Argument.

Myanmar got rid her colonial name to show pride of a nation. I wonder Philippines will ever do that. How can a nation be proud if it's named for a colonial king.

see, the way you enjoy freedom of misleading in philippine makes you so crude! we never say someone "a*s licking" like you! probably, the filipino freedom of misleading has taught such kind of sexual precept. no wonder they are not awake to learn the truth!

So this pro-China article from a Philippine media is also misleading?

Psst

Myanmar got rid her colonial name to show pride of a nation. I wonder Philippines will ever do that. How can a nation be proud if it's named for a colonial king.

I wonder why Singapore is still a member of Commonwealth of Nations. How can a nation be proud if its membership to an organization reminds her of her British Empire past?

Back
Top Bottom