What's new

China sells helicopter to Myanmar rebel

LTTE got weapons from India and their aircraft managed to hit SL bases beacuse SL had faulty radars that couldnt detect cessna

they bought it from Australia..why blame every single thing on India??and its India who send Rajendra Radar to SL to protect their airport..If India continued to help,then The Civil war would prolonged beyond your imagine.

anyway,Burmese govt have some modern air defence weapons(eg MIADS),but still those gunships pose some serious threats if properly used.

China Sells Helicopter Gunships to UWSA
30 April 2013

5.-300413-UWSA.jpg

A Z-9G helicopter mounting the TY-90 lightweight air-to-air missile. (Photo: China Defense Blog)

China has allegedly sold helicopter gunships to ethnic Wa rebels who occupy areas of Shan State in eastern Burma, intelligence monitor Jane’s Information Group reported on Monday.

The report claimed China “delivered several Mil Mi-17 ‘Hip’ medium- transport helicopters armed with TY-90 air-to-air missiles to the Wa in late February and early March, according to both Myanmar ethnic minority and Myanmar government sources.”

Bertil Lintner, an expert on Burma and author of Great Game East: India, China and the Struggle for Asia’s Most Volatile Frontier, confirmed the accuracy of the Jane’s report.

Lintner said the Burmese government was moving to gain control of the Shan State Army-North’s mountainous bases on the western bank of the Salween River, for an eventual offensive against the Wa rebels.

“Since the Burmese government signed a ceasefire with the Shan, they haven’t withdrawn any troops, but rather they have reinforced their troops,” said Aung Kyaw Zaw, an analyst based on the China-Burma border. “That is not a good sign. So, the Wa wants to prepare [for a possible war].”

The purchase of the gunships is part of Wa moves to make the Wa region more like an independent state, able to project force if necessary.

The United Wa State Army is the largest ethnic armed group in Burma, with an estimated 20,000 well-equipped fighters, and advanced weaponry including surface-to-air missiles.

The Burmese government has carried out an offensive against the SSA-North and Kachin rebels in northern Shan State since mid-April, calling up troops from as far away as Karenni State to back up their forces in Shan State, according to Aung Kyaw Zaw.

Quoting a Wa rebel source, the Jane’s report said “the Mi-17s reached the Wa-administered area by flying across the Mekong River from Lao rather than direct from China.”

Jane’s said five helicopters had been bought, but the Burmese government, which confirmed the deal, said only two aircraft had so far been delivered.

The UWSA headquarters is in Panghsang, northeastern Shan State on the China border, but it has a secondary stronghold in southern Shan State on the border with Thailand.

Burma and the United States have long said the UWSA funds its activities through heroin and methamphetamine production, earning large sums of money through illegal activities.

If the government launches an attack on the Wa, it would be a big war, according to analysts. There have been unconfirmed reports in recent weeks that the Wa have been digging in for a protracted ground war, hollowing out tunnels and constructing fortified positions, according to the sources.

The Burmese government recently bought a number of Mi-24P ‘Hind’ gunships from Russia. The reported sale of the Mi-17s to the Wa, armed with TY-90 short-range air-to-air missiles, would provide a strong deterrent to Naypyidaw moving against the Wa.

http://www.irrawaddy.org/archives/33350
Major mistake of the report, Mil Mi 17 helicopter is not Chinese, it is russian :coffee:

So now China has a mercenary outfit. The only difference is they probably do not pay taxes on their earnings like Blackwater or Xe or whatever they might change their name to next. I guess it defeats the purpose when the only people that hire you are the ones you pay taxes to.

I'm not going to say it's not true, but helicopter maintenance and ammunition as well as fuel is really expensive.

You need a crew of maintenance personnel, you need constant access to fuel, you need an endless supply of missiles and what not.

Truth be told, advance radars are also needed to not get your helicopters killed in on trip.

Lastly, you need operating team, and a command that understands helicopter warfare, so unless their high command has actually been to the Chinese military academy, and has imported former Chinese soldiers, getting those helicopters seems useless.

Ridiculous article for a military forum.

Nice work China. There is an ethnic cleansing going on in Burma, I'm glad equipment was sold to the "rebels", so at least they have a fair chance in defending themselves. The so called champions of human rights have been quite silent on ethnic cleansing in Burma...Seems like they only speak of human rights when it suits them, they have shown their true colors once again...

Nice work China. There is an ethnic cleansing going on in Burma, I'm glad equipment was sold to the "rebels", so at least they have a fair chance in defending themselves. The so called champions of human rights have been quite silent on ethnic cleansing in Burma...Seems like they only speak of human rights when it suits them, they have shown their true colors once again...

Funny, Chinese posters do not wait for Pakistani posters to defense this action. Chinese are denying it out-right since even they know the whole thing stinks. They are trying to be a "good neighbor" you see.

Supplying military equipment to rebel fractions can constitute war against a country. In an off-chance that happens, a proper procedure is to have the agreement of the UN. You can't do that secretly. The US has done so in the past as well but they only supply small arms. This is the first time I heard of a country providing attack helicopters to rebels. Like others have said this require bigger commitment, and training people to fly. I will not be surprise if Chinese pilots are working in those copters right now.

This proves once again that China is a destabilizing force in Asia. Everything I hear of them now is involving conflicts small and large. In the past, China supplied arms to the genocidal Pol Pot regime in Cambodia, just to "teach Vietnam a lesson." A freed Cambodia and tens of thousand Chinese deaths later, now they are "teaching Myanmar a lesson" by having the balls to reject Chinese influence and welcome Democracy.

How do you know this news, reliable, convincing? To tell the truth in a foreign forum is rarely heard praise the Chinese words, attack but a lot of ah, can not stand
There are the reasons everyone is not amuse at China. I don't have anything against Chinese people. It's the government that's at fault here. I sympathize with your frustration but you should read more. A peaceful China is needed for the world but an aggressive China will cause every nation to up in guard. Vietnam and China will forever be neighbors so I cherish the value of peace. As citizens of each country, we need to understand this before it is too late.

There are the reasons everyone is not amuse at China. I don't have anything against Chinese people. It's the government that's at fault here. I sympathize with your frustration but you should read more. A peaceful China is needed for the world but an aggressive China will cause every nation to up in guard. Vietnam and China will forever be neighbors so I cherish the value of peace. As citizens of each country, we need to understand this before it is too late.

China reminds me of Japan during WW II..driving mad by the desire to control the Pacific,but ended loosing their own empire..If there was no Peral Harbour,they would've won all the Asia and Russia too just like that(I'm discounting Russia-Japan war during 1939 as it wasn't sanctioned by Japan Govt).

China reminds me of Japan during WW II..driving mad by the desire to control the Pacific,but ended loosing their own empire..If there was no Peral Harbour,they would've won all the Asia and Russia too just like that(I'm discounting Russia-Japan war during 1939 as it wasn't sanctioned by Japan Govt).

first of all. japan would not have won asia and russia even if the US didnt directly join in.

the US was already doing the lend least act. and japan didnt want to fight russia even when Germany invaded and was having great success. meaning with US aid and Russia manpower/production Germany would have lost eitherway whether or not pearl harbor happened.
in Asia the japanese was already having problems holding on to its war time gains by the time they attacked the US. millions of troops were tied down in china and southeast asia, and the resistance never went away, worst of all they werent even fighting normal battles and instead they were basically doing COIN which leaves them wolly unprepared to fight a army to army battle when the russians came. its navy and airforce was relativity free to do whatever though and those two branches were what the US mainly dealt with. but in time after germany falls the british attention and russian attention would be on japan who is now alone on the axis side. the japanese would have been facing a experienced and fairly large British fleet and at the same time a battle hardened and vast russian army and airforce, japan would have lost north east asia very quickly, and without resources from those conquered areas its war machine would sputter then fail. sure the war would have lasted longewr and maybe millions more die, but the result for the japanese empire would have been the same, maybe even worse if the russians/chinese gets a go at occupying the japanese home islands.

now for the second point:

you are seriously mental if you think china's actions today are in anyway comparable to japanese actions in ww2. everyone know, the first priority for china is internal stability, second is economy, they are hardly being driving mad with desire for absolute control of the pacific.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom