What's new

China Ranks Last in Importance of Religion, Research Shows

Why the crazy rise in Christian interest in China? My wife says many of her friends are "suddenly" into it and that is all they talk about on WeChat. She finds it bizarre.
i already answer your question

To me, the newer, the better.

You don't really have to loot the house while it is on fire. You could create the only firefighting squad in town and blackmail the owner to sell the house cheap when it is on fire. I believe a smart Roman invented this way of getting rich fast. :)
Jewish mastered it.

Just look at India, cows are sacred, yet you export more beef than we do. Though part of it has to do with maybe you don't eat it in house.

You overall post was quite insightful and interesting to read.

The "Beef" that is exported from India is (Water) Buffalo + Buffalo hybrids meat....it also accounts for most of the "beef" known as carabeef consumed internally. Its prevalence varies from region to region.

It is cattle killing that is the sensitive subject. Hence Cattle beef is only legally produced in 2 states....where atheist communist thought + local hinduism not being so doctrinally against cattle beef + large muslim and christian populations make this.

It is interesting to note that there was also a very strong Beef taboo at one point in Japan (and to some degree in China too mostly because cattle and oxen were seen as promoting too much Yin or Yang...I can't remember which....given it was a beast of burden and labour - more useful alive than killed for short term use).

Japan iirc had a similar rationale, combined with Buddhist thought, it was actually codified as law (ban on beef eating) till the Meiji restoration. You can google that up if you want, lots of interesting material is out there to read on the various reasons.

India on the other hand never had a unified godhead like an emperor to suddenly overturn a taboo at face value....and I doubt even if it did, that it would ever really catch on (even in Japan it faced a lot of resistance for many years afterwards).

It is interesting to note that there was also a very strong Beef taboo at one point in Japan (and to some degree in China too mostly because cattle and oxen were seen as promoting too much Yin or Yang...I can't remember which....given it was a beast of burden and labour - more useful alive than killed for short term use).

Buddhists in China do not eat beef because there is a story that a Buddhist reincarnated to a cow and told people not to slaughter it for it is him. The people did not listen and slaughtered the cow.

Buddhists in China do not eat beef because there is a story that a Buddhist reincarnated to a cow and told people not to slaughter it for it is him. The people did not listen and slaughtered the cow.

EmeraldInsight

The Beef Taboo and the Sacrificial Structure of Late Imperial Chinese Society - Springer

There were other edicts against Beef outside of Buddhism at various times in China too.

It is why Pork is still the preferred meat overall in China...

From wiki:

The beef taboo, known as niú jiè (牛戒), has historically been an important dietary restriction in Ancient China, particularly among the Han Chinese, as oxen and buffalo (bovines) are useful in farming and are respected.[42][43] During the Zhou Dynasty, they were not often eaten, even by emperors.[44] Some emperors banned killing cows.[45][46] Beef is not recommended in Chinese medicine, as it is considered a hot food and is thought to disrupt the body's internal balance.[47]

In written sources (including anectodes and Daoist liturgical texts), this taboo first appeared in the 9th to 12th centuries (Tang-Song transition, with the advent of pork meat.[48]) By the 16th to 17th centuries, the beef taboo had become well accepted in the framework of Chinese morality and was found in morality books (善書), with several books dedicated exclusively to this taboo.[48] The beef taboo comes from a Chinese perspective that relates the respect for animal life and vegetarianism (ideas shared by Buddhism,Confucianism, and Daoism, and state protection for draught animals.[48]) In Chinese society, only ethnic and religious groups not fully assimilated (such as the Muslim Huis and the Miao) and foreigners consumed this meat.[48] This taboo, among Han Chinese, ledChinese Muslims to create a niche for themselves as butchers who specialized in slaughtering oxen and buffalo.[49]

----

Anyway we are going off topic here.

That's rare, I know some very young people did that.
That is not rare at all. At age of 45-50, especially for women, they are at the peak of their lives. At the same time, health starts to deteriorate and energy lessen. Like Lester in "American Beauty" said, "It is all down hill from here". People start to contemplate on the meaning of life. Let's call it "midlife crisis". This is the perfect time to look into religions.

First off the authenticity of this so-called research is highly dubious, especially when you look at Israel's standing.
Secondly, China is not an ideal benchmark to establish how progressive a society is, especially when it is controlled by a few individuals.
Thirdly, Most of the atheist people commenting here are entitled to their opinions, if you people don't approve of religions so be it, but don't use that right to offend others. For instance i can also say that 'people without religion are fascist, immoral--------- And a whole lot of other things but i guess, that all isn't required, since i have made my point.

That would be an interesting explanation but it doesn't explain her ex-classmates who are men (and some have gone pretty nutty....as in door to door Jehova Witness type nutty). However maybe it is possible they have had some personal crisis (job, family, etc) and they turn to religion as an outlet. But most are just moderate so not sure if a small crisis would push a person into being simply moderately religious.

She also thinks they seem to believe EVERYBODY over here is religious (just like some people on PDF think all of the USA walks into churches in Sundays)

What you're referring to is a social imposition aspect of Confucian societies, actually. It is a unique trend in both Japan and China ; this notion of : 嘗める -- to experiment, to taste, to try -- in the sense of a foreign ideology. Trust me when Japanese , i'm speaking here in the Japanese contextual world view, experiment and delve into a social ideology , to which religion is but one independent variable, we do so and apply the tenets into the larger Japanese identity world view. The religious imposition of self character is but an additional strata. Its application tends to be done only in context to the Japanese social identity in both macro and microscopic social vantage point. Ultimately, even in 'religious' Japanese persons, say he or she has converted to another faith alien to Shinto or Buddhism, then he or she will do so practice in private and not impose his or her belief systems onto others of the collective society. And lastly the practice of said new religion is usually an enlightenment of the greater self being and is done so with respect with the past ideologies of said person , it is done in the spirit of synergism and transcendentalism --- in context to the self and of the perception of the divine. It is done so in context to how new ideology can positively transform and contribute to the underlying whole and base.

Ultimately , the take home point i want you and others here to understand is that the primordial and base of every East Asian society (Japanese, Chinese, Korean) is Confucius and Confucian doctrine, upon which is the invisible social guide that permeates every social practice and ritualism in East Asia. It is almost a pre-programmed social etiquette and social philosophy that is implied , yet resonating and deeply trans-generational. This is what continues to define and differentiate Confucian East Asia from the rest of the world and one of the reasons why Confucian East Asia remains relatively Amphiphatic.

Regards,
Kenji

Regards.

china's state religion is communism

No. I think you need to approach China or the Confucian Greater Far East Asia with a different mindset. Greater East Asia does not operate in absolutes that is common in majority Abrhamic religion practicing civilizations (Muslim World, Christian World, Global Jewry). We do not operate with the mindset of the absolutism as espoused by the G_d of Avrahom/ Abraham / Ibrahim. So our societies values and perceptions tend to be more .... pragmatic in nature. Religion(s) are not social paramount pillars , rather, are just but a fraction , one form of indepedent variable in context to the ideation of the sense of 'Empire' in the Confucian world view.

Political philosophies , Personal religious preferences , even economic models --- are all transient , impermanent , but may be considered in its positive health for the health of the Empire / Civilization. Communism does not define China nor North Korea, rather, Communism was the philosophical entity that was used to transform China during that period of her history to restore National Solidarity and National Unification. Ultimately, as you notice if you ever read into Chinese History, China has used various philosophical theories in her past. China is not static, rather, is organic and being that she is an Organic entity , is open to adopt new theories , philosophies as the Nation marches forward towards progress.

The thing you need to take home is this: China will utilize what theory or philosophy best for the Chinese Nation and even when that happens, only bits and pieces or core essentials of said theorem is used and is done so in context to the Chinese methdology. How it best applies for China.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom