What's new

China poised to become "World's MOST CHRISTIAN Nation" in 15 years as numbers grow exponentially.

I have to add my personal experience to this thread. My father's mother and sisters are all Christians. Our family has been Christian for very long time, probably more than 100 years. However, my father and uncle cannot be Christian because we sons have to practice various filial duties, such as ancestral worshiping, tomb sweeping etc, that are incompatible with Christian teaching. I am not Christian either. I think it's probably common in China that most Christians are female.

One very distinct feature of Christianity in China, at least in my hometown, is that unlike Muslims, Christians don't have this "lets all bond together" mentality, Christians don't care about the U.S., the Europe or any other Christians in other countries. My parents even don't want to come to the U.S. They only know that the U.S. must have more Churches.

So I don't think there is anything alarming even if Christianity does spread out rapidly. They never identify themselves with other Christian countries, they don't even know Jerusalem etc. Christianity has been reformed to the point that it is truly just personal belief, not a way of life, an identity. Christianity doesn't dictate how you should dress, what you can eat, cannot eat, don't tell you you cannot marry non-Christians or your spouse has to be converted.

Most Christians do not acknowledge the authority of the pope. The pope is exclusive to Catholicism which is only ONE of the denominations in Christianity. Its erroneous to think that the pope has authority or even a voice in Christianity except Catholicism.
That's the image left by reading Les Trois Mousquetaires when I was 16 years old, Cardinals nearly has the same power with King of France, that's never happened in history at East Asia , religion power very small in East Asia during history, not to say can catch up with the Monarchial power apart from the literati system.

I have to add my personal experience to this thread. My father's mother and sisters are all Christians. Our family has been Christian for very long time, probably more than 100 years. However, my father and uncle cannot be Christian because we sons have to practice various filial duties, such as ancestral worshiping, tomb sweeping etc, that are incompatible with Christian teaching. I am not Christian either. I think it's probably common in China that most Christians are female.

One very distinct feature of Christianity in China, at least in my hometown, is that unlike Muslims, Christians don't have this "lets all bond together" mentality, Christians don't care about the U.S., the Europe or any other Christians in other countries. My parents even don't want to come to the U.S. They only know that the U.S. must have more Churches.

So I don't think there is anything alarming even if Christianity does spread out rapidly. They never identify themselves with other Christian countries, they don't even know Jerusalem etc. Christianity has been reformed to the point that it is truly just personal belief, not a way of life, an identity. Christianity doesn't dictate how you should dress, what you can eat, cannot eat, don't tell you you cannot marry non-Christians or your spouse has to be converted.
This is true for most countries including India. I don't understand why everyone assumes that every christian is yearning to uproot their families from their home countries and settle abroad in the west. Most Christians I know are really patriotic people and very educated to boot-- particularly true when you look at the Indian air-force, navy and the army's officer cadre.

@Okemos ,

I also want to add my point of view as well, to what you said. Christianity is also slowly growing in Japan, albeit the fact that the number of Christians are small in comparison to the majority of the population. There is a healthy mix of Protestant churches with orthodox churches and even Japanese parishes. You mentioned the notion of 親孝行 or pronounced as Oyakoko , in Chinese is known as 孝顺 or Xiaoshun ; Filial Piety. Ancestral worship , or honoring of the spirit of one's ancestors is essential in many East Asian societies. It is compatible in Japanese Christians because we are not violating Christian faith, because the concept of Filial Piety is really giving obeisance to the dead. In fact, it is rather even supported by Christian concept of 'The Communion of the Saints' , which teaches that the bond we have with loved ones does not end -- even in their deaths. I take a more enlightened position when it comes to Christianity being practiced in very patriarchical societies. In fact, the concepts of Confucianism, namely the four virtues and 5 principles are rather similar to the Mosaic Law, and in the Beatitudes of Christ.

So, in that comparative analysis, i think it is quite adaptable. Afterall, as what my priest says, "God Loves all His people, and to Him , alone, is made to him the hearts and thoughts of all men."

Thanks for sharing your own personal anecdote , good to see that Christianity in a positive light in China.

Kind Regards,

Christian Chinese will keep alive Chinese culture, yes or no

I believe yes.

I believe yes. Christians in Japan keep alive Japanese culture, as well.

I am Christian, and when I am back home, if I do visit my family tomb, I make obeisance as well as pray for their spirits (souls). The rituals of cleaning the tomb markers, bringing flowers, all of which are still maintained.

That's the image left by reading Les Trois Mousquetaires when I was 16 years old, Cardinals nearly has the same power with King of France, that's never happened in history at East Asia , religion power very small in East Asia during history, not to say can catch up with the Monarchial power apart from the literati system.

You're referring to Cardinal Richelieu, yes he wielded much political clout during the early 17th century, but like most Church officials , their powers and political clout have been reduced , especially after the many social revolutions in Europe. Namely, in regards to France, the French Revolution of 1792, which did effectively : 1) abolished the monarchy and 2) reduced the power and property of the Catholic Church in France.

Last edited:
@Okemos ,

I believe yes. Christians in Japan keep alive Japanese culture, as well.

I am Christian, and when I am back home, if I do visit my family tomb, I make obeisance as well as pray for their spirits (souls). The rituals of cleaning the tomb markers, bringing flowers, all of which are still maintained.

You're referring to Cardinal Richelieu, yes he wielded much political clout during the early Namely, in regards to France, the French Revolution of 1792, which did effectively : 1) abolished the monarchy and 2) reduced the power and property of the Catholic Church in France.

Dear friend, are you an Orthodox Christian?

Yes, my friend. I am. :-)

To me it is extremely interesting to see spread of Orthodox Christianity in Japan.

Ususally, proselytizing churches are either protestant or catholic, and hardly orthodox except in Russia.

The Egyptian Orthodox Church (Coptic) has a mission in Africa which has had little success compared to other Churches.

But in Japan? wow. Very interesting.

To me it is extremely interesting to see spread of Orthodox Christianity in Japan.

Ususally, proselytizing churches are either protestant or catholic, and hardly orthodox except in Russia.

The Egyptian Orthodox Church (Coptic) has a mission in Africa which has had little success compared to other Churches.

But in Japan? wow. Very interesting.

Catholic Churches are very prominent in historically international cities like Nagasaki, Kanagawa, Tokyo, Yokohama; and are developed around highly concentrated Catholic populations, this way they can easily manage the Diocese. Protestant churches are springing up everywhere, you can find small evangelical churches in office spaces, nowadays. You can see alot of Japanese evangelicals because usually after their work hours, they will be walking with the bibles and rushing to attend evening church services. lol ! They are very friendly tho, and always upbeat about the message. Now, as for Orthodoxy, its more so concentrated in north, namely in Hokkaido. Hokkaido is very close to Russia, so a lot of Russian Orthodox priests have been evangelizing not only Eastern Russia like Kamchatka , Siberia, China, but also even made presence in Korea and yes, in Hokkaido Japan. For me, I attend both Orthodox or Catholic services because they are both very similar. Theologically , ecclesiastically, very identical. I am also very fond of Marian adoration, which is both observed in Orthodox and Catholic Churches. :)

You mentioned Coptic Orthodox Churches. I've met many friends in my church who are from Egypt; and they are Coptic Christians , too. There is a Monastery in Egypt that they both mentioned to me before; which caught my attention. They said that during the history of the Caliphate, the Commander of the Army had threatened the Abbot of this particular monastery (a Coptic one) that they were to either convert or suffer the sword. The abbot had asked the commander to show mercy. Moved, the commander said to the abbot that he would spare them if they could produce a miracle in 3 days. The abbot and the monks had prayed incessantly for 3 days for God to show a sign , and on the third day, the mountains that flanked the monastery literally moved. Upon seeing this miracle, the commander kept his word and spared the monastery.

Ever heard of this story before, my friend? :)

Catholic Churches are very prominent in historically international cities like Nagasaki, Kanagawa, Tokyo, Yokohama; and are developed around highly concentrated Catholic populations, this way they can easily manage the Diocese. Protestant churches are springing up everywhere, you can find small evangelical churches in office spaces, nowadays. You can see alot of Japanese evangelicals because usually after their work hours, they will be walking with the bibles and rushing to attend evening church services. lol ! They are very friendly tho, and always upbeat about the message. Now, as for Orthodoxy, its more so concentrated in north, namely in Hokkaido. Hokkaido is very close to Russia, so a lot of Russian Orthodox priests have been evangelizing not only Eastern Russia like Kamchatka , Siberia, China, but also even made presence in Korea and yes, in Hokkaido Japan. For me, I attend both Orthodox or Catholic services because they are both very similar. Theologically , ecclesiastically, very identical. I am also very fond of Marian adoration, which is both observed in Orthodox and Catholic Churches. :)

You mentioned Coptic Orthodox Churches. I've met many friends in my church who are from Egypt; and they are Coptic Christians , too. There is a Monastery in Egypt that they both mentioned to me before; which caught my attention. They said that during the history of the Caliphate, the Commander of the Army had threatened the Abbot of this particular monastery (a Coptic one) that they were to either convert or suffer the sword. The abbot had asked the commander to show mercy. Moved, the commander said to the abbot that he would spare them if they could produce a miracle in 3 days. The abbot and the monks had prayed incessantly for 3 days for God to show a sign , and on the third day, the mountains that flanked the monastery literally moved. Upon seeing this miracle, the commander kept his word and spared the monastery.

I have heard this story. There is a version of it in Northern Greece as well.

Egyptian Orthodox Christians are the largest Christian minority in the Middle East.

Most Christians in the Middle East are Orthodox. Even the Roman Catholics in Iraq and Syris, who call thmselvs Chaldean or Syrian Catholic were Orthodox before.

The Orthodox Saint that is associated with this miracle was Saint Simon the Shoemaker, or in Arabic: سمعان الخراز

And the mountain that moved was the Motakkam Mountain. It occured during the reign of the Fatamid Caliph , Abu Tamim Ma'ad al-Mu'izz Li-Dinillah.

The Orthodox Saint that is associated with this miracle was Saint Simon the Shoemaker, or in Arabic: سمعان الخراز

And the mountain that moved was the Motakkam Mountain. It occured during the reign of the Fatamid Caliph , Abu Tamim Ma'ad al-Mu'izz Li-Dinillah.

His Caliphate is not accepted by Egyptian Sunni Muslims, because he was a Fatimid ( ismaili Shiite)

This dynasty had been responsible for many destructive activities against Middle Eastern Christians. For example, it is this dynasty that attacked Orthodox Churches in Jerusalem, prompting the Catholic pope in Rome to declare the Crusade against all Muslims.

Egyptian Orthodox Christians are the largest Christian minority in the Middle East.

Most Christians in the Middle East are Orthodox. Even the Roman Catholics in Iraq and Syris, who call thmselvs Chaldean or Syrian Catholic were Orthodox before.

OT: One of the most beautiful churches in the world are in the Middle East. The ones in Syria, Lebanon, Jerusalem, and Egypt are...just breathtaking. Someday, GOD WILLING, I'll be able to perform a Pilgrimage throughout the Holy Land. :)

All religions out there are in decline, the only religion that seems to be surviving this is Islam.

St. Anthony Monastery, Egypt

Ain-Sukhna-1099-e1349262578731.jpg

Abbott+Paisios.jpg

Orthodox priests and monks in St. Anthony Monastery.

Back
Top Bottom