What's new

China please save the children

What are the symptoms of that mental problem?
How can you read the symptoms?
How can you determine that this particular individual is having those symptoms?
Is this a hereditary disease?
How many such patients are now in China?
What age they represent in average?
What will be the treatment?
Will they be experimented in laboratories?
Is there any drug that can cure such disease?
Or will they be executed?

I know, you can't answer these questions.

What you are suggesting to do will be like witch hunting that occurred in medieval Europe and continues to occur in Africa and even India. This will create further social problems. Suppose, a guy is having problem with another guy, the former will try to accuse the latter of being mentally unstable and if by chance locals get convinced, authorities will hunt down the innocent man and execute him. Thus, an innocent man will be victim of social paranoia.

Fear will prevail in the society and everyone will suspect his neighbors of having such mental disease. In the remote rural areas, people will take laws in their hands and will start killing people saying they were psychos.

If you study the recent cases, as far as media reports are concerned, you will find the criminals' excuses were not similar. The marital status of criminals for all cases are not similar. They don't belong to the same age. Though, I don't know about their records in family lives and their locality.

Symptoms are not always obvious, especially because people with such mental disorders tend to be asocial, which decreases the chances of people noticing his illness. Generally, these people are considered simply "weird". You need to understand that there is no "schoolyard rampage" illness. A whole plethora of mental illnesses, when severe enough, can cause something like this. Even among psychopaths there are huge differences. So it's impossible to answer such questions "how can they be treated" or "at what age do they present the symptoms" with authority. However, if you wish, I could look up some research papers for you to give you some educated guesses. It is, however, a fact that they're largely hereditary.

The truth is that not enough is done around the world and especially not in China regarding mental diseases. Hell, not too long ago China considered homosexuals as mentally ill!

As for my suggestion, what did I suggest? I suggested nothing. I don't believe that there's anything they can realistically do. I completely agree with you on the dangers of a Salem watch trial, which is why I said that "aggressive screening can cause a lot more problems", to paraphrase.

Building houses with light materials costs less than building houses with heavy materials.

I must say I'm not an expert on this topic, but there must be some drawbacks. If building houses with light materials cost less and is safer, then I'd think that most people would be using them already.

the reason for casualties in china being higher is due in part to buildings and in part due to just having more people.

typhoons in bangladesh kill thousands per year. in mainland china maybe one person dies per decade to typhoons. the key is preparation which sadly was not done.

i mean, think about it like this: a magnitude 6.9 earthquake in italy killed 700 people because they weren't prepared. the aftershock of the 5.12 earthquake (8.1 magnitude) in chengdu was magnitude 7.1, buildings didnt even crack. its all about preparation.

the reason for casualties in china being higher is due in part to buildings and in part due to just having more people.

typhoons in bangladesh kill thousands per year. in mainland china maybe one person dies per decade to typhoons. the key is preparation which sadly was not done.

i mean, think about it like this: a magnitude 6.9 earthquake in italy killed 700 people because they weren't prepared. the aftershock of the 5.12 earthquake (8.1 magnitude) in chengdu was magnitude 7.1, buildings didnt even crack. its all about preparation.

Keep in mind the Richter scale (as are other scales of Earthquake strength) is logarithmic. What this means is that a:

magnitude 8.0 is 10 TIMES a magnitude 7.0.
magnitude 7.1 is 20 TIMES a magnitude 7.0

Thus, as 8.1 magnitude is >>> 6.9 by about 400 TIMES!!!

<Building houses with light materials costs less than building houses with heavy materials.>

Not necessarily true. Light materials (depend on the properties or compositions) could be more expensive than general/heavy materials.

<Here China should learn from US and Japan. Whenever I hear about natural disasters like earthquakes or typhoons or cyclones in the US or Japan or even Europe, the overall casualties seem to be less in number compared to those of China.>

There is nothing to learn from either. China's got earthquake machine simulator, good building code, and good engineering.

As I mentioned shoddy (or shortcut) construction is responsible for the collapsed schools (or buildings).

He is an opinion from a Chinese architect:
"Buildings in rural areas were not constructed under government supervision, which is not fair," artist and architect-turned-activist Ai Weiwei told The Australian. "The government should care for life of every individual."

Mr Ai, who conducted a thorough investigation of school-building quality after the Sichuan earthquake, pointed out that in order to complete nine years compulsory education for children, many schools in rural areas were built in a rush with low quality.

So, to prevent the corrupt officials and builders from siphoning the construction money the government should form a building audit committee. Its function is to audit the money that is being spend, audit the materials that are purchased, and audit the construction site (to ensure it is compliance with the building code).

<The problem is that it takes money to build them, and China doesn't have enough money to build those buildings for 1.3 billion people.>

It's got nothing to do with money. It's got more to do with corrupt officials and builders. They pocket the money so they can enjoy women and gambling in Macau.

Back to children being killed.

I think China should implement a two-pronged attack to possibly stop these cowardly killings permanently.

First: China should change the layout of the schools. There should be one entry point and one exit point for every school. A guard should be posted at the entry point and everyone that enters a school premise should go through a metal detector. The school staff and guard should take psychological test yearly. A counselor should be available at the school premise.

Second: Study the mental state of these perpetrators and from the study the government should encourage new professions (counselors, psychologists, and psychiatrists), biotechnology companies to help these perpetrators who can be saved, and create an institution to deal with these mentally ill people (when they are diagnosed) from becoming killers.

Back
Top Bottom