What's new

China Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) | Updates & Discussions

It is.
If china wants this corridor done in earnest, they would do it easily. Its chump change for them right now as it will be spread over a lot of years.

Man, do you see Chinese people investing billions of dollars, and not taking it seriously?

Large amounts of money are always a serious matter to us Chinese.

The major problem is "American interests", who exert influence amongst the more corrupt section of Pakistani politicians. The same ones who shut down the Iran-Pakistan pipeline deal, even when Iran had already finished construction of the pipeline in their own territory!

Now what can we do about this? I don't think anyone doubts the "efficiency" of Chinese infrastructure building, other complaints like import of Chinese workers/materials aside. If we are given the go-ahead and the environment needed, efficiency will certainly come.

Last edited:
So its not all that bad and lies as you have been drumming up so far.

Well, look at it this way: Claims of building oil pipelines and railway lines across the Khunjerab are one-sided dreams being peddled by the Pakistani lobby only. I call it like it actually is, not what certain charlatans wish us to see it. :D

The KKH is an important road that works very well 8 months out of the year, and it will get better, no doubt.

Well, look at it this way: Claims of building oil pipelines and railway lines across the Khunjerab are one-sided dreams being peddled by the Pakistani lobby only. I call it like it actually is, not what certain charlatans wish us to see it. :D

The KKH is an important road that works very well 8 months out of the year, and it will get better, no doubt.

We will find out, and naysayers will be disappointed.

Straight from the mouth of our highest leader, Xi Jinping.

China, Pakistan vow to build "community of shared destiny" - Xinhua

BEIJING, Feb. 19 (Xinhua) -- Chinese President Xi Jinping held talks with his Pakistani counterpart Mamnoon Hussain on Wednesday and the two leaders pledged to forge a China-Pakistan "community of shared destiny".

"China and Pakistan are good friends, good partners, good neighbors and good brothers," Xi said during the talks at the Great Hall of the People.

The Chinese side will treat the China-Pakistan ties, as always, from a strategic and long-term perspective, and the ties will be a priority in China's relations with its neighbors, he said.

Hailing the all-weather, time-tested friendship between the two countries, Hussain said to further cement the friendship serves as "the cornerstone of Pakistan's foreign policy".

Support for the unique relationship resonates across Pakistan at all levels including the government, political parties and the people, said the Pakistani president.

Pakistan is willing to build a community of shared destiny with China, said the visiting president. He arrived in Beijing on Tuesday for a four-day state visit at Xi's invitation.

Hussain said the Pakistani side is appreciative of China's strategic vision and believes China is an important power to promote peace and development in the world as well as in the region.

It is Hussain's first official foreign trip since taking office in September.

Before their talks, Xi held a red-carpet ceremony to welcome Hussain at the hall in downtown Beijing.

China's top legislator Zhang Dejiang met with Hussain earlier on Wednesday and Premier Li Keqiang is scheduled to meet with the visiting president on Thursday.

During Wednesday's talks, the two presidents agreed to enhance the strategic and cooperative partnership between the two countries, featuring a more solid political foundation, closer economic links, deepened security cooperation and more fluent cultural and people-to-people exchanges.

"China would stand firmly behind Pakistan's efforts to uphold its sovereignty, independence and territorial integrity, and Pakistan would be opposed to any force that attempts to undermine China's sovereignty," according to a news release after the talks.

Many world leaders don't even get to have an audience with Xi Jinping, let alone a Red carpet welcome.

Xi Jinping is a very busy man. I had my doubts about Xi Jinping for a very long time, but one thing you can say is that he backs up his words strongly, just look at what's going on in China right now. The highest dominoes are falling, even the most powerful Chinese leaders like Zhou Yongkang are not immune to Xi's anti-corruption purge.

If he puts his time into something like this, it is serious business.

How about this. When a rail line is laid up to Gilgit, I will start to pay attention to where it goes next. Okay? :D

This is a huge project and will be completed step by step. There are massive engineering challenges involved.

This is a huge project and will be completed step by step. There are massive engineering challenges involved.

Yes, that is precisely why I have my doubts and reservations.

We could use a little bit of optimism.

Optimism must be based on a kernel of reality, otherwise it risks being a prelude to even bigger disappointments.

Just look at the landslide that created Attabad Lake and one can see the magnitude of the challenges involved in creating the grand corridors being touted, compared to the resources available.

If the plans are realistic, I can see some hope, for example let us get a dual-carriageway working 24/7 all through the year first. Only then one can a claim of laying down a railway line be given some credibility.

Optimism must be based on a kernel of reality, otherwise it risks being a prelude to even bigger disappointments.

Just look at the landslide that created Attabad Lake and one can see the magnitude of the challenges involved in creating the grand corridors being touted, compared to the resources available.

If the plans are realistic, I can see some hope, for example let us get a dual-carriageway working 24/7 all through the year first. Only then one can a claim of laying down a railway line be given some credibility.

No one is dreaming out here. This transit is being taken as a priority on the highest level of govt. You are free to believe whatever you wish to.

No one is dreaming out here. This transit is being taken as a priority on the highest level of govt. You are free to believe whatever you wish to.

I have no doubt that the priority being given is high, but what is being promised will fall a long long long way short of what will be actually realized.

I have no doubt that the priority being given is high, but what is being promised will fall a long long long way short of what will be actually realized.

How would you propose to improve the situation?

And why did America exert pressure to shut down the Iran-Pakistan pipeline, even though Iran had already constructed their side of the pipeline, and Pakistan is in serious need of energy resources?

How would you propose to improve the situation?

And why did America exert pressure to shut down the Iran-Pakistan pipeline, even though Iran had already constructed their side of the pipeline, and Pakistan is in serious need of energy resources?

It is simple, promise only what can be realistically delivered.

A claim for all-weather road link is good, for it is deliverable with an upgraded KKH. Claiming some sort of magical corridor sprinkled with pixie dust and with rainbows in the sky every day where a railway track with high speed trains pulled by unicorns and oil pipelines gushing forth sweet crude with pumps run by goblins is not.

The IP pipeline and issues related to it are off topic for this thread, but let me just say that this project was a non-starter from the beginning, the reasons for that being what I have mentioned persistently elsewhere.

'dominate Afghanistan and contain India'

Yes, it would be right to drop these references and concentrate on gains from trade and better road infrastructure and possibility of gas pipelines and any other economic synergy or tourism etc.

I do want to say again earnestly that attempts at playing politics in third countries by our poor and weak nation is going to hurt us and truly backfire. We have seen very strong nations fail in such politics so it is better to use wisdom and not get ourselves into any dirty affairs. Really when are we going to learn to not keep on making our region a geopolitical curse by our own hands.

I tried to state my point of view in one of my blogs. Some Thoughts On Pakistan’s Foreign Policy Upon Saudi Prince’s Visit to Lahore | ahsanamin2999

Back
Top Bottom