What's new

China makes 22nm integrated circuit breakthrough

Ryan

Reaction score
Country
China
China makes 22nm integrated circuit breakthrough

Summary: Scientists from the Institute of Microelectronics of the Chinese Academy of Sciences uses high-k metal gate materials to produce cheaper, low-power integrated circuits.
Kevin Kwang

By Kevin Kwang | December 24, 2012 -- 04:01 GMT (20:01 PST)

China's Institute of Microelectronics of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (IMECAS) announces it has made a breakthrough in constructing 22-nanometer (nm) integrated circuits, which would give a boost to local electronics manufacturers.

Xinhua reported last Friday Chinese scientists from IMECAS has developed metal oxide semiconductor field effect transistors with a gate length of 22 nanometers--a preliminary step in producing 22nm integrated circuits.

They did so by using high-k metal gate materials instead of conventional materials such as silica and polysilicon, with the result being "world-class performance and low power dissipation", the institute stated.

This breakthrough would mean huge savings for China in importing foreign technologies, and boost China-made integrated circuit products' competitiveness, the report added.

China earmarked this field of reseach in 2009 as one of its major national scientific projects. The 22nm integrated circuit technology has the potential to reduce the cost of manufacturing products such as computers and mobile devices, Xinhua stated.

China makes 22nm integrated circuit breakthrough | ZDNet

22nm breakthrough invigorates China's IC industry

Posted : June 10, 2013

China accelerates technology development to build up its IC sector.

China’s IC industry gears up for further development after research yielded its first MOSFET with a 22nm gate length. Makers are waiting for improvements in production techniques, which will pave the way for mass manufacture and provide technical leverage for future endeavors. The last includes the plan to venture into the 16nm and below processes.

The Institute of Microelectronics of the Chinese Academy of Sciences or IMECAS achieved the breakthrough, which includes an advanced high-k/metal gate module. The latter technology for the last is widely adopted in 22nm production to realize lower device power consumption and cost.

During the research period, IMECAS worked on addressing challenges in manufacturing and integration processes, which cover interface, gate, and source and drain engineering, to comply with standards in industrial applications. It applied for 1,369 patents, including 424 international ones.

The national government lent support to the pilot R&D on 22nm core technologies, which began in 2009. Spearheaded by IMECAS, the project involved the Peking University, Tsinghua University and Fudan University. The goal is to reduce reliance on imported chips and raise the country’s competitiveness in the business.

To date, the key players using the 22nm process are Intel in its 3D tri-gate transistors, and the IBM and AMD partnership in SRAM chips. Global Foundries, IMEC, Samsung, Toshiba and TSMC have released their respective technology versions.

Local manufacturers such as Fuzhou Rockchip Electronics Co. Ltd continue working on 28nm products. They highlight chip features, which are 55 percent better in terms of performance than 45nm variants, and consume 60 percent less power.

Last year, the supplier introduced China’s first such chip, which is the world’s second quad-core model next to the APQ8064 from Qualcomm. Fuzhou Rockchip’s RK3188 integrates a Cortex-A9 processor and targets mainly tablet PCs.

Related reports:
IGBTs: China sector prepares for upscale development
Power transistors & transistor modules: Suppliers highlight SMD, IGBT types

22nm breakthrough invigorates China's IC industry

Soon enough, at least one Chinese member will claim that China is ahead of the US in 22 nm scaling technology. Then every Chinese will 'Thank' him for that 'useful' post. :lol:
Just a few questions since I know you work in the semiconductor industry.

Does the same machineries of the wafer fabrication plant that produce the microchip can be used to produce RAM as well? Can a country produce radar without having a wafer fab?

Soon enough, at least one Chinese member will claim that China is ahead of the US in 22 nm scaling technology. Then every Chinese will 'Thank' him for that 'useful' post. :lol:

It is only a matter of time。:azn:

I believe you will live long enough to witness the day。:wave:

We are not far off. We will be ahead soon.

Just a few questions since I know you work in the semiconductor industry.

Does the same machineries of the wafer fabrication plant that produce the microchip can be used to produce RAM as well?
No.

Radar absorber (RAM) are composites. The 'doping' principle is the same because semicon products involves mixing of different elements into a usable material. Semicon structures are deposited layer by layer on a known base material -- silicon wafer. Radar absorber construction may involve a base material like simple steel and a paint doped with ferrite particles are applied, or the base material can be of a carbon fiber weave and the absorber material is injected into this weave. The hardware that are used are simply not the same in terms of robotics, chemical, mixture recipes, timing, temperature, and many other factors too much to list.

Can a country produce radar without having a wafer fab?
Yes.

We are not far off. We will be ahead soon.
News for you guys: My fab is working in the low teens nano-meter scaling. There is no 'soon' for China in this.

No.

Radar absorber (RAM) are composites. The 'doping' principle is the same because semicon products involves mixing of different elements into a usable material. Semicon structures are deposited layer by layer on a known base material -- silicon wafer. Radar absorber construction may involve a base material like simple steel and a paint doped with ferrite particles are applied, or the base material can be of a carbon fiber weave and the absorber material is injected into this weave. The hardware that are used are simply not the same in terms of robotics, chemical, mixture recipes, timing, temperature, and many other factors too much to list.

Yes.

News for you guys: My fab is working in the low teens nano-meter scaling. There is no 'soon' for China in this.

I'm pretty sure China is working on low teens too. We are not far behind. I've read in an article that one company in China is working on 14nm.

It won't be long before we are equal in this area and probably will even surpass the US.

I'm pretty sure China is working on low teens too. We are not far behind. I've read in an article that one company in China is working on 14nm.

It won't be long before we are equal in this area and probably will even surpass the US.

Dreaming since The Korean War ..... :omghaha:

Keep it up China though I heard that TSMC is going to produce its 14nms in 3 to 4 years' time!

No.

Yes.

Thanks for answering. But what I meant to ask is "Random Access Memory", not radar absorber material; my mistake in not clarifying the original question.

I thought you need to have a wafer fab to produce all the electronc components of a radar system: transmitter, receiver, antenna, processor.

Dreaming since The Korean War ..... :omghaha:
We talking about the industry, you'd better out of the line, because indian is joke, live just with mouth and daydream, while other player play chess, you as a spectstor should better just looking, especially you as a amatur or worse, or you will be mocked no matter which side you help by both side!!

Back to topic, I have read the news, but, I think it need more than 20~30 years to catch up with USA, American advantage is overall, don't be blinded by the news.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom