What's new

China makes 22nm integrated circuit breakthrough

Thanks for answering. But what I meant to ask is "Random Access Memory", not radar absorber material; my mistake in not clarifying the original question.
For all practical purposes, any wafer fab can move from one semicon product to another. It does not matter if the transition is from processor to memory and it really does not matter which type of memory. Personally, I have gone through 4 such transitions: NOR - SRAM - DRAM - NAND.

Process engineering/integration require a "bird's eye" view of the entire product flow and in my case, all transitions have been in process integration, meaning in each product line I have to ensure when a wafer is move from etch to rinse to chemical-mechanical-planarization (CMP), for example, the moves are to be as transparent and with as minimum delays as possible. I do not need to know the exact details on each step does its job, I just need to know how long each step will take, any possible problems from mechanical to software to human that can arise during the move, and come up with a solution to anticipate each problems.

So when we move from SRAM to DRAM, for example, I/we already know the extents and limits of each step and even down to each process machine, to help make the transition smoother than feared. We had to change things like how long each rinse or bake or vapor deposit to match the product design, of course, but in my case, as long as the process/tools owners give me accurate data on their charges, I can design and optimize the product flow from wafer start to shipping.

The 'tool owner' here is not the hardware manufacturer. The label 'tool owner' simply mean an engineer in our employ that is dedicated in training from the manufacturer on how a piece of hardware works, then he will modify its operations little by little to suit our unique recipes. The 'tool owner' then become responsible for a certain amount of identical machines. He can be a member of a team of several other tool owners, either of the same type of machines or of different machines.

The 'process owner' is an engineer who is responsible for designing a particular way of creating a structure on that wafer. These structures require different methods and the recipes are trade secrets, of course. The process owner works closely with all the tool owners, of the same type of machines, to best optimize on how to create the highest quality of each structure in the shortest possible time. The more complex the semicon product, the more process owners but not necessarily more tool owners because each machine can run different chemical mixtures, temperatures, and duration to suit. In other words, a tool owner can work with an SRAM process owner one week and with a DRAM process owner the next week.

Now, just in case anyone thinks I made these phrases up...

Roli Ochoa | LinkedIn
I have been working in wafer fabs my entire TI career. I've worked in all aspects of the wafer building process. The last 12 years at TI I have been in the quality control field. I have ISO 9001 internal lead auditor certification and also ISO/TS 16949 certification. Experience in 5S, QSM/QSS, 5 why, QC story, and inventory control management. I have been a technician, supervisor, coordinator, and process owner while working in the QC field.

WaferTech - Open Jobs
Equipment Engineer:

Work closely with Manufacturing, Module Engineers and other Technicians to improve the overall area/tool performance and meet quality and manufacturing goals.

Perform basic to complex tool repairs according to equipment Operating Instructions (OI's) and/or Best Known Methods (BKM).

Provide accurate and detailed information for equipment logs, repair data and tool status information at shift pass-down.

Become fully certified on tools of responsibility and progress in capability to tool owner.

Review spare parts usage and recommend inventory changes.

Support the area with other responsibilities as needed.
A tool owner is sort of a step up from being an equipment engineer. An equipment engineer is more hardware related, as in ensuring the hardware works in the minimum according to the manufacturer. The tool owner have a more in-depth knowledge and understanding that is particular to a product line and company trade secrets.

SRAM, DRAM, or NAND have flows that are similar but not identical. Processes will not match. So in my case, I have to work closely with Fabrication (process/tool owners) and with Production to design the best possible product flow. Everything must be considered, from equipment height (ergonomics), to floor walking time (transportation), to robotics to even 3rd party software. Not even Microsoft is a given. If a 'nix flavor is proven superior to MS server, then the 'nix will be used.

Clear as mud...???

I thought you need to have a wafer fab to produce all the electronc components of a radar system: transmitter, receiver, antenna, processor.
No. A radar system is essentially a conglomeration of finalized products such as circuit boards, transistors, or memory chips. You can buy these finalized products, study and find out how they works, then design your own radar. Of course, money talks and if you have lots of money, you can buy the highest quality of these finalized products to design a superior radar to your neighbors.

Any Indian thread you go to.. from GSLV to Agni V - you will Find Chinese bragging about their missiles or technology.

Any Chinese technology thread.. you will find Chinese bragging about how they are miles ahead of USA.

to learn Bragging one must be Chinese.

Irony that those who Brag the most accuse others of bragging.

All Noise No Substance - thats Chinese. and funny is they think by creating noise they can become superior.

China is miles ahead of the primitive india in almost every field which is a solid fact```so in this sense we are not bragging, but more like a senior teasing a junior noobie``

in terms of who is bragging
if you get one pound for finding a thread about 'China techs are miles ahead of the U.S' you'd be probably just lie above poverty line in India's standard, :D

however the same for finding a thread about India 'shining' 'secular' 'democracy' 'IT superpower' 'india the future superpower' 'innovative india' 'software power' and 'indigenous' this and that````well`` you will certainly be a millionaire in very short of time

do you want me to find those for you sweetheart?

At least our talks are not so cheap and clueless like a Chinese technology... ;)

this one I really doubt it, as our 'cheap' and 'clueless' techs seem to be humiliating india's bragged and deluded indian techs in every possible way

Dreaming keeps pushing China much ahead, achieving in 30 years that took western countries hundreds of years.

There are many fields that China has already been ahead. Considering there are so many Chinese scientists who work both in U.S. and China, academic or industry, I would not think it will take that long for China to catch up.

If you look at the top scientists in material science in U.S., quite a few are Chinese as well. Let alone there are many of them in silicon valley or various research institutes funded by big corporations.

Dreaming since The Korean War ..... :omghaha:

Dreaming keeps pushing China much ahead, achieving in 30 years what took western countries hundreds of years.

There are many fields that China has already been ahead. Considering there are so many Chinese scientists who work both in U.S. and China, academic or industry, I would not think it will take that long for China to catch up.

If you look at the top scientists in material science in U.S., quite a few are Chinese as well. Let alone there are many of them in silicon valley or various research institutes funded by big corporations.

BTW, nobody has expected China would have kept world-war-wining U.S. led so-called U.N. at bay in Korea either, right???

Dreaming since The Korean War ..... :omghaha:

To be honest, I really "admire" indian's big talks here. They brag something out of nowhere and believe they will be ahead for no reason.

WOW, I see people boast before but have not seen such a big group of people like boasting so much.

Let me tell you in 20 years India would leave behind China in every Major scientific field.

The Major difference b/w India and China is:

Chinese think it is their birthright to be on top if they have a big economy. The whole attitude is wrong.

Indians don't like to brag on every forum how they are the best and will beat America etc. But they generally are just happy to see their products and technology develop.

Mark my words.. the title for the most technological advanced nation will pass from USA to India. While China will never reach that aim. All the Chinese can do is create noise, and write books about how they are superior and how its foregone and how they will do this and that.

All noise no substance - that's Chinese.

Back
Top Bottom