What's new

China: Interesting personalities

She's using 'fresh air' as a metaphor to compare an authoritarian system to a free society. It's not a surprise that the Chinese didn't get it.

I find it funny that some people think she was literally talking about air.
Thanks for explaining us Captain Obvious! Except she's taking the piss on China on both accounts.

If find you funny for thinking this deserved a post.

A 6 years old boy from chongqing, was late for school.

He only manage to reach the school gate when the Chinese national anthem was play.

upload_2017-6-10_16-53-32.jpeg

He stood still and salute for the duration. The picture was taken by a passer-by and put on Chinese social network and win lots of praise.

This is he,
upload_2017-6-10_16-56-8.jpeg

学校举行升旗仪式 迟到小学生听到国歌后校门外立正敬礼

Last edited:
Netizens praise work ethic of 78-year-old scientist
By Ma Chi | chinadaily.com.cn | Updated: 2017-06-14 11:22

f8bc126d97c41aaaeece01.gif
Liu Xianlin, a well-known scientist on surveying and mapping, focuses on his work on a high-speed train, June 12, 2017. [Photo from the Weibo account of People's Daily]

A geomatics scientist's dedication to work has moved a lot of people

Liu Xianlin, an expert on surveying and mapping, was seen being preoccupied with his work on a high-speed train on June 12, the People's Daily posted on its account on Sina Weibo, a Chinese equivalent of Twitter.

The 78-year-old was preparing for a report to be delivered in Beijing, said the post. The photo shows Liu, an academician of the Chinese Academy of Engineering, wearing a pair of old leather shoes, with one of the trouser legs rolled up and his eyes glued to a piece of paper.

The academician's plain clothes and dedication to his job won applause from many internet users.

"He's truly the soul of the nation, the backbone of the country," said one web user.

"Hats off to the spirit of the older generation!" said another.

Liu graduated from the School of Geodesy and Geomatics in Wuhan University in 1962. Since then, he has been devoted to developing and improving China's domestically built surveying and mapping instrument, and has played a key role in ending China's reliance on foreign equipment.

In 2009, Liu led a program to complete the high-resolution three-dimensional map of moon, which paved the way for the country's lunar probe projects.

Liu has received the National Prize for Progress in Science and Technology Award, one of China's top prizes in recognition of scientific contributions, three times.

Courageous citizens honored as heroes
By Yang Meiping | 00:01 UTC+8 June 15, 2017

SHANGHAI honored 32 people designated as heroes yesterday for their “righteous and courageous” acts.

Fourteen individuals and seven groups were honored.

Among those honored are five people, aged from 49 to 65, who together caught a man suspected of robbing a jewelry outlet in Jiading District last December.

The suspect surnamed Ye was said to have robbed Lao Feng xiang Jewelry Store, injuring security guards with a knife before escaping.

Zhu Xiaoyan, a saleswoman at a clothing store, and Chen Guoliang, a traffic attendant, saw the suspect running away and shouted to passers-by to help them catch him.

Wang Zhijun and Li Long, security guards at a local library, and Guan Jinlong, a company employee, ran after Ye and he was caught 130 meters from the store. He has since been detained.

Other winners included 50-year taxi driver Gu Xufei, who rescued a car driver who had fainted. His vehicle was emitting smoke. Gu dragged the driver out of the car, which exploded soon after.

Three people who prevented a driver from attacking a traffic police officer after being stopped for violating traffic laws were also honored.

Chen Jianhua, a 61-year-old guard in a residential community, was awarded for rescuing a 10-year-old boy last January from a building that collapsed after a natural gas explosion in Yangpu District.

The youngest person honored yesterday was 14-year-old Wang Zhe, who rescued a boy from a river last October.

In the past 18 years, more than 5,200 heroes, aged from 13 to 86, have been honored by the city and district governments. Of those, 53 died carrying out their brave deeds, while over 200 people were injured.

Courageous citizens honored as heroes | Shanghai Daily

Tsinghua University to move mountains to help Gansu disabled high scorer
(People's Daily Online) 18:36, June 27, 2017

FOREIGN201706271840000108467104523.jpg

Wei Xiang

Tsinghua University, one of the top academic institutions in China, has promised to make every possible effort to help Wei Xiang, a 19-year-old severely disabled high scorer from Dingxi, northwestern China's Gansu province, according to a highly shared article on social media recently, Youth.cn reported on June 27.

Wei achieved 648 points in this year's China's national college entrance examination held on June 7-8.

Wei and his mother have lived a hard life for many years. His father passed away early in 2005, and his mother had to take care of him, as he has been suffering from complete loss of muscle function in both legs and incontinence since he was born.

His mother has always been there for him, helping him overcome his disability. In June 2008, Wei's mother carried him to seek specialized treatment in Beijing, his third surgical treatment. But his physical condition had not been improved, despite several major operations.

His hard work earned him a spot in one of China's most prestigious universities, and on June 26, he sent out a letter, telling his academic journey and hoping for a separate room for him and his mother at the university. The letter has touched many people.

Wei said that because of his disability, no matter where he goes, he cannot be separated from his mother, as she she takes care of his basic necessities. His mother must accompany him to school, but in order to do that, she must give up work, which means the family's only economic source will cut off.

"We contacted Wei Xiang to offer him financial support. Tsinghua will not let any excellent student drop out of school because of economic difficulties," said Liu Zhen, director of the university's enrollment office. He added that the support will follow once the admission is confirmed.

A reporter got in touch with Wei's mother. On the phone, the mother expressed her happiness. She said years of hard work have paid off after getting the results of the college entrance examination.

Feature: Yale graduate yearns for rural yield
Source: Xinhua| 2017-07-08 11:48:09|Editor: An

BEIJING, July 8 (Xinhua) -- When Qin Yuefei set off as one of only a few Chinese students awarded full undergraduate scholarships to Yale in 2007, no one knew what the future might bring.

Today, many of his peers think Qin has wasted the cards fate dealt him in his first 26 years.

As his contemporaries besieged Wall Street and first-tier cities in 2011, he registered to become a village cadre and got on a train to the countryside.

In Hejiashan Village, Hunan Province, he became assistant village head.

"Everyone has the right to live a better life, and I'm here to help villagers make it," he says.

BEND LOW

Hejiashan Village is not much like New Haven, Connecticut, home of Yale University. Nor does it much resemble the megacity of Chongqing, where Qin was born and raised by his blue-collar parents. It is a small village of 800 where cabs are rarely seen. The nearest Starbucks is 100 km away.

On arrival he was put in a dorm for government workers, built in 1950, with a communal toilet.

Villagers did not know him nor anything about "Yale." All they knew was he was "the guy who showered twice a day."

"What a waste of water! The countryside world is so filthy for him?" he had heard villagers saying, labelling him an "alien."

So Qin dumped his branded sneakers for second-hand farm shoes, put his T-shirt on inside out, and rolled up his pants to his knees as local farmers do.

He also reduced his shower frequency, avoiding public bathhouse in the morning. He learned wash his hair in a basin, a common scene in China's countryside.

Months later, visitors started to arrive with bizarre requests. Some wanted him to repair electric appliances, some asked math questions for their grandchildren's homework, and some turned to him to set up a blind date for their son.

"It felt like a bride finally marrying into the village," Qin recalled.

Where farmers used to live at the mercy of nature, one of the first things Qin did was build a water channel. He put on his smart shoes again and the suit that had been left unworn since graduation and headed for Beijing.

"I told my countryside stories a million times to former classmates and friends, and finally brought back some money," he said.

In the following three years, he raised 800,000 yuan (117,000 U.S. dollars) to construct the water channel, a nursing home, install street lighting and buy supplies for the local school.

In 2012, he was elected as a county lawmaker.

"I got 3,027 out of the 3,547 votes. I was happier than when I received my admission letter from Yale," he said.

"Qin from Yele (Yale) is surely something," said villager Chen Yunzhi. "Many U.S. presidents graduated there, I heard."

DREAM HIGH

In 2014, Qin rejected an offer of promotion. After his three-year term in Hejiashan Village, he signed another three-year contract, in another village in the same county.

He has encouraged villagers to grow commercial crops, such as gold lotus and camellia trees. He also attends influential forums, including Fortune, Boao and APEC forums for young makers, to raise funds.

Figures like Jack Ma from Alibaba and Zhang Yaqin from Baidu are among his contacts on WeChat.

Last year, Qin and his schoolmates established a non-government organization called "Serve China," which encourages young talent to start businesses and provide public services in rural area.

More than 30 volunteers from Harvard, Tsinghua and Fudan universities are working across rural China.

Song Shuzheng, one of the volunteers, encourages farmers to grow camellia trees and contacts oil producers to sell camellia seed. He is used to the snoring of pigs, as his bedroom is next to the pigsty. "I can tell the mood of the pigs just by hearing them breathe," he said with a smile.

While Qin's former classmates have bought houses and cars in big cities, all he bring home to his parents is rice and home-made oil at the Chinese New Year.

His monthly salary as village cadre is 1,450 yuan, one fifth of the Beijing average and perhaps the least money earned by a Yale graduate.

"Salary is no big deal. I hope people can see how the village has changed through my strength, and that more will be done for rural areas."

In Qin's words, rural China is a "blue sky" where the talent should come to create wealth for farmers.

"I'm a doer, not a thinker," he said.

Chinese train driver loses leg saving elderly women ‘frozen’ on the tracks
Locomotive engineer says he has ‘no regrets’ and would do it again if it meant saving someone’s life
  • PUBLISHED : Sunday, 09 July, 2017, 3:24pm
  • UPDATED : Sunday, 09 July, 2017, 3:24pm
  • Binglin Chen
9808f0fc-6460-11e7-badc-596de3df2027_1280x720_152401.JPG

A train driver in southwest China who lost a leg saving an elderly woman who’d wandered onto the track said he has “no regrets”, according to local media.
Xu Qiankai, a 29-year-old locomotive engineer, said the incident happened on Thursday afternoon as he was moving a train to a service depot at Rongchang station, Chongqing Evening News reported on Sunday.

Although the area was clearly marked with “No Trespassing” signs, Xu said he looked up and saw a woman on the track in front of him.

But when he pulled the emergency brake and blasted his horn to warn her, she just froze, he said.

When Xu realised that she wasn’t going to get out of the way, he leapt from his cab and ran towards her, the report said.

As the locomotive was being taken for a service it wasn’t coupled to any carriages or wagons and was moving quite slowly, so Xu was able to get in front of it.

Sadly he wasn’t quite fast enough. Although he managed to reach the woman and push her to safety, before he could save himself, the wheels of the oncoming train ran over his right leg.

Xu was rushed to hospital, but due to the severity of the injury, doctors were unable to save his leg and were forced to amputate it from just above the knee.

“I lost a leg, but [saved] a life,” the former military man was quoted as saying through his tears. “If life repeated itself, I would do it again.”

The woman, who wasn’t named in the report, visited Xu in hospital. At his bedside, she dropped to her knees and thanked him repeatedly for saving her life.

Chinese train driver loses leg saving elderly women ‘frozen’ on the tracks | South China Morning Post
http://www.scmp.com/news/china/soci...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Laborer lifts heavy loads to build better life
By Huang Zhiling in Chengdu | China Daily | Updated: 2017-07-19 07:07

f8bc126d97c41ad8eb9916.jpg
Deng Shufang has worked on Emei Mountain in Sichuan province since last year. Photo By Li Xinfeng / For China Daily

In quest to support son, mother carries materials weighing 100 kg to the peak of Emei Mountain a dozen times a day

Empty-handed tourists find it challenging to trek the mountain path from the Jieyindian cable car station to the Golden Summit of Emei Mountain in Sichuan province.

The station and summit are 2,540 and 3,077 meters above sea level respectively.

However, Deng Shufang, 42, has to carry building materials such as cement, sand, steel and bricks from the station to the summit 12 times a day.

Each trip, she carries a bamboo basket with 100 kilograms of building materials on her back, earning 24 yuan ($3.50).

Deng, a farmer in Huatou town in Jiajiang county, Sichuan, used to plant tea and crops, and could carry between 50 and 100 kg of grain in one go.

Because of her strength, a fellow villager introduced her to Emei Mountain in the second half of last year when a mammoth reconstruction project started at the summit.

The project, scheduled to be completed in 2019, will involve the building of a hall of the Goddess of Mercy, known as Guanyin in Chinese. A large amount of building materials have to be carried to the summit, said Wu Jian, a member of the administrative committee of Emei Mountain.

Before his recent retirement, Wu was an information officer with the committee.

After building materials are transported to the Jieyindian cable car station, they have to be taken another 1 km to the site of the reconstruction project on the summit.

f8bc126d97c41ad8ec8d1f.jpg
Deng uses a cane to prop up the load she is carrying while taking a short break on the mountain path. Photo By Li Xinfeng / For China Daily

f8bc126d97c41ad8ecc822.jpg
Deng shares snacks given to her by tourists with her fellow workers.Photo By Li Xinfeng / For China Daily

There are about 200 laborers ages 20 to 60 who carry building materials to the summit and live in dormitories at the site.

"What is unusual about Deng is that she is female, but can carry more than most of the men," Wu said.

Life is tedious for Deng and fellow workers, but she is satisfied because of the money she can make. "I need money to support my son, who will soon enter second grade at middle school," Deng said.

Because of the relatively high income, her husband has also joined her in carrying building materials to the summit.

Their village is not far away from Emei Mountain.

But the couple had never visited the sacred Buddhist site, which was included in the UNESCO World Natural and Cultural Heritage List in 1996, before they started working on it.

Emei is a poetic term for "beautiful women" in Chinese. Spread over 154 square kilometers, the mountain offers a panoramic view of the landscape throughout the year.

The couple are happy to be able to work on the picturesque mountain, which many people are unable to have the joy of visiting.

After their son's summer vacation started in early July, they took him to the mountain so he could experience the stunning scenery.

With a cane to support her body, burdened with a bamboo basketful of building materials, Deng has to take a rest every two or three minutes on the mountain path.

Moved by her hardship and determination to support her family, some tourists offer her water, snacks and napkins to wipe away her sweat.

"It feels good to earn the respect of strangers through my hard work," she said.

A 6 years old boy from chongqing, was late for school.

He only manage to reach the school gate when the Chinese national anthem was play.

He stood still and salute for the duration. The picture was taken by a passer-by and put on Chinese social network and win lots of praise.

This is he,

学校举行升旗仪式 迟到小学生听到国歌后校门外立正敬礼

Our Kids, Our Future! No starving; no malnutrition!

Watch These:

震撼!国歌一响,这些00后学生瞬间全体止步向国

https://v.qq.com/x/cover/s93rtxerh9aog76/a00236jqa6m.html

img.php

https://v.qq.com/x/page/j0521aw8q59.html

55d01048-64b1-4646-b8ff-978a9080e16c.jpg

img.php

02f0b829bebd49fa9141cedbfbdfd5d6.png

National Anthem was played from the spectator stands suddenly during a practice session of China Women's Volleyball Team and the Team from Thailand in HK. All Players and people from both countries stopped what they were doing and stood still during the playing of our National Anthem
国歌突响怎么办 女排姑娘给您树榜样

赞!共享单车倒地无人管 小男孩路过主动扶起

Last edited:
Boy vs.Wild: 10-year-old's unbelievable story of survival
By Wang Quan
2017-07-28 13:49 GMT+8

31713636-caa8-4507-8ee1-867f710e6d63.jpg
A real life Man vs. Wild story, which lasted an astonishing 24 days, was reported being staged by a 10-year-old boy from southwest China’s Yunnan Province.

0448de11-1f9f-46f2-80ee-daf7ab355fcb.jpg
Miu, 10, survived in the wild for 24 days. /Yunnan.cn Photo

On June 29, after getting beaten by his father, a frustrated boy with surname Miu decided to runaway from home.

Unlike most runaway children, no one would expect a teen boy’s escape journey lasting nearly a month, until he was found by the local police last Saturday.

9ebcbe5f-a864-4dd2-bcc6-232ce873b27f.jpg
Miu having a meal at a police station after being discovered. /Yunnan.cn Photo

“At the beginning I had nothing on my mind. I just wanted to run away from my parents,” Miu told Yunnan.cn on Wednesday.

He said he relied on family remedies for survival.

“In the first few days, it kept rainy and I got a fever,” Miu recounted his experience. “Then I remembered my family boiling dandelion as medicine, so I collected a broken bowl and a lighter to prepare a herbal tea as a medicine.”

2dac8a9c-6018-42a0-b5ee-58f10e4981a0.jpg
Miu during interview with Yunnan.cn. /Yunnan.cn Photo

After recovering from illness, Miu said he made travel plans to head to Chongqing Municipality, which is nearly 500 kilometers away from his hometown.

In his detailed recount recorded by the police, Miu told his unbelievable experiences on the way.

27f143c8-966c-4296-842c-bb36bc356617.jpg

share_p.html

“I slept either on wet leaves in the wilderness or on straws in farmers’ warehouses,” Miu was recorded saying.

The boy also reported that he slept in an abandoned truck that was left on the side of the highway after a traffic accident.

Asked if he was scared, the boy said, “No, I was not afraid and I had a good rest.”

f0d018e8-6bbd-4f01-9f56-98e8bbf349f2.jpg
Detailed record of Miu's daily experience. /Yunnan.cn Photo

According to the police, when Miu left home, he had no money or food with him. However, the boy said he survived by picking fruits from trees and buying cheap street food with money he earned selling recyclable materials.

d6b869e4-3da3-436f-98c4-565682244199.jpg
Miu's bag with food. /Yunnan.cn Photo

Last Saturday, just as Miu said he was getting used to his journey, a group of police officers on patrol found him.

After learning about the boy’s situation, local police contacted Miu’s father, who traveled overnight to pick up his son.

54433dcf-e90b-4e35-92e0-e68d1eb3c37e.jpg
Miu's father at the police station. /Yunnan.cn Photo

“He went missing for over 20 days,” The boy’s father told Yunnan.cn. “Now I realized my education method is problematic. It was wrong to lash out at my son as a way to educate him.”

Teenage boys let off after dancing on cop car for online video
Chen Xiaoli
15:55 UTC+8, 2017-08-16

e423cf8a-e94e-4b4a-a18f-1e0fdca0a0b6_0.gif

Two teenage boys who danced on a parked police car outside a traffic police brigade in Bozhou, Anhui Province on August 13 while another was filming their antics will escape punishment.

They posted the footage online, which soon caught the attention of the brigade who said "waiting for you to drink tea" on its official Weibo account in response to their "picking quarrels and provoking trouble".

065781e1-4743-4585-8f59-60aa2eb1b6b1_0.png

The trio gave themselves up to police the next day, accompanied by their parents.

The youngest, surnamed Sun, who captured the video, is 15 years old. The other two who climbed on the car and danced were Zhang, 17 and Fang, 15.

upload_2017-8-16_21-43-51.png

They were exempted from punishment of administrative detention because they are under the age of 18, although their parents were told to be more strict with them, police said.

Chinese woman fights against desertification for 30 years, turning sands into forest
By Ren Shanshan, Zhou Feiya (People's Daily Online) 19:02, September 14, 2017

FOREIGN201709141859000492642817769.jpg

A Chinese woman has turned a world of sand into forest after stationing herself in Maowusu Desert, one of the four major sandy lands in China, for 30 years. The heroic woman Yin Yuzhen has won more than 80 awards, including the 2010 GAIA Prize, for spreading her story across the world.

Hope for green land in desert

Desert is often described as “the incurable cancer of the earth.” Some people choose to escape from it, while the others choose to stay to make changes.

It is hard to associate Yin’s ecological park with a desert, in that it is surrounded by a green forest that stretches all the way to the skyline.

FOREIGN201709141859000581063534017.jpg

Yin’s house, located in her ecological park, looks more like a small-sized museum. Photos and certificates of merit hang on the walls, as if they are telling the extraordinary achievements made by the owner of the house.

Yin, born in Jingbian County, northwestern China’s Shaanxi province, came to Uxin Banner, Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, in 1985 to marry her husband Bai Wanxiang.

However, there was nothing on this barren and sandy land of Maowusu except a tree planted by Bai and his father, let alone roads and electricity. The woman once planned to leave, but she gave up the idea because of her attachment to her family.

FOREIGN201709141900000212244940640.jpg

Yin has always been a tough woman who believes that human beings should never be trapped by the sand. Inspired by a sprouting sapling beside a well, she decided to protect her family through forestation.

Shaky saplings grow into a forest thanks to persistent efforts

FOREIGN201709141900000478441944647.jpg

She and her husband bought 600 saplings in the spring of 1986 and planted them around her house. Though she had taken very good care of the trees, only 10 of them survived in the next year. But Yin saw hope rather than despair, saying it proved that trees could survive in this environment.

The couple devoted all of their energy to planting trees in the desert, shedding a considerable amount of sweat and tears. “I’d rather die from exhaustion than from being bullied by sand” was the only thing that motivated this tough woman. Finally, the shaky saplings grew into a forest.

FOREIGN201709141901000075114448185.jpg

Apart from the joy of success, Yin also had some setbacks. Once 5,000 willows planted by her family in three months were blown away by a sandstorm. Most others might have given up, but Yin, started thinking how to ensure the trees could withstand the wind. She finally found the right way to carry out forestation in the desert.

After 30 years of hard work by the Yin family, the sand world has been turned into endless green. Their endeavor not only touched Uxin Banner, but also China and the world at large.

FOREIGN201709141901000192047068170.jpg

Forge ahead despite of fame

She has received a number of awards for her efforts. She was once selected as a national model worker and was a nominee for the China Environment Prize.

In September 2010, she was invited to deliver a speech at a seminar on desertification control held in Mongolia. A month later, she received the GAIA Prize at the International Conference on Water Resource and Environment in South Korea.

FOREIGN201709141901000425863614814.jpg

In March 2012, she delivered a speech at the Ministerial Conference of the 6th World Water Forum in France. Later, she was awarded the Somazzi Prize, which is given to women involved in human rights and the protection of peace and freedom.

Being touched by this tough woman, a number of people have come to visit her. Yin said that she has received assistance from thousands of people in recent years, and she recorded all of their names in a notebook.

FOREIGN201709141901000521841026346.jpg

Some people told her that she should stop her undertaking of forestation since she has already made her name. But she says she is doing this for her descendants.

In addition to forestation, Yin is also planning to make money from the sandy land. She hopes to upgrade her ecological park so that she can plant economic crops.

Not long ago, Yin built a watch tower with the help of some good-hearted people. “My dream is to turn the sandy land into a sea of green plants,” she exclaimed, standing on the tower overlooking the field.

FOREIGN201709141902000008232837993.jpg

Uxin Banner was a national model in the 50s because of forestation and environmental transformation. Its experience was first presented to the whole nation in the 60s through a press release.

Half a century later, the people here are still making forestation efforts, introducing advanced treatment methods to the world. An ecological revolution is taking place here, and the sand-fighting stories of the Chinese people will continue.

FOREIGN201709141902000209983047181.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom