What's new

China Indonesia Sign High-Speed Rail Deal Today

it will likely not stop just in Bandung ( so close with Jakarta), there is big chance that it will be continued until East Java city which is Surabaya, the second biggest city after Jakarta.

China sees long term on this one.

If we have a business, we know that first project (almost) always offers big discount as it is necessary to build confidence and record.

it will likely not stop just in Bandung ( so close with Jakarta), there is big chance that it will be continued until East Java city which is Surabaya, the second biggest city after Jakarta.

China sees long term on this one.

Yes I suppose the pros must have studied the long term plan. Now if I might ask, is there a long and densely populated economic corridor with multiple hubs in Java (or Sumatra)?

Yes I suppose the pros must have studied the long term plan. Now if I might ask, is there a long and densely populated economic corridor with multiple hubs in Java (or Sumatra)?

Java is the biggest one. If there is a fast train, people will abandon airplane (psychological reason). Inter Java route is already fat ( airplane).

Yes there is quite a substantial hub in Java, bro. Some potential projects that may avail of further HSR development could include the integration of the major cities of Bogor, Puncakpas, Bandung, Pangandaran, Wonosobo, Jogyakarta, Sarangan, Kediri, Malang, and to the east in Banyuwagi. In addition, there is also potential to build smaller HSR routes in the northern coastal areas in Java such as Cirebon, Semarang to Surabaya. Java has potential benefits being the fact that it is the seat of power for Indonesia and since that island is home to over 130 million people. Another opportunity would be in Sumatra, as well as the islands in Celebes and Sulawesi, as well as in Borneo.

image002.jpg

java_map1.gif

Java is the biggest one. If there is a fast train, people will abandon airplane (psychological reason). Inter Java route is already fat ( airplane).

Bro, i can't wait to someday (InshaAllah!!) visit Jakarta and take the HSR to Yogyakarta , then to Surabaya!

Java, indeed, has the largest human population hub, but i think the new paradigm in indonesia's raiwaly projects in the next 2-3 decades will be to integrate the entire island of Sumatra in context to railway infrastructure. Mind you the island of Sumatra is larger than the entire country of Malaysia, and Cambodia combined. Tho Sumatra is sparesly populated in comparison to Java, the natural resources in Sumatra is practically untapped , there is huge supply there of timber, coal, natural gas, gold, copper, diamond, immense fertile fishing grounds --- all the requisites to fuel Indonesia's secondary industrial awakening. In the future, there will be a great human migration to settle Sumatra, to develop it. Huge capital will be required to help develop this wonderful, vast, rich country. Japan and China will help in this goal, i suppose.

01-Sumatra-map.jpg

300px-Sumatra_pol_2002.jpg

Yes there is quite a substantial hub in Java, bro. Some potential projects that may avail of further HSR development could include the integration of the major cities of Bogor, Puncakpas, Bandung, Pangandaran, Wonosobo, Jogyakarta, Sarangan, Kediri, Malang, and to the east in Banyuwagi. In addition, there is also potential to build smaller HSR routes in the northern coastal areas in Java such as Cirebon, Semarang to Surabaya. Java has potential benefits being the fact that it is the seat of power for Indonesia and since that island is home to over 130 million people. Another opportunity would be in Sumatra, as well as the islands in Celebes and Sulawesi, as well as in Borneo.

image002.jpg

java_map1.gif

Bro, i can't wait to someday (InshaAllah!!) visit Jakarta and take the HSR to Yogyakarta , then to Surabaya!

Thanks! Excuse me for my lack of understanding about Indonesian geo-economy in the first place.

Java (~120,000 sq,km) is far more densely populated that I thought, a population about same as Japan but 1/3 of land size, a bit larger than South Korea. Then my rough estimate of HSR size for Java Island alone would be around 1,000~1,500 km, that's quite a scale, and in multiple tracks for heavy volume!

Given the size of it, I think the grand HSR plan might be executed in phases.

Last edited:
Thanks! Excuse me for my lack of understanding about Indonesian geo-economy in the first place.

Java is more densely populated that I thought, a population about same as Japan but 1/3 of land size, a bit larger than South Korea. Then my rough estimate of HSR size would be around 1,000-1,500 km, that's quite a scale!

1. The Ethnic - Linguistic Factor

Yes, it is very similar to , in context to archipelagic insular states, Luzon of the Philippines. Luzon is the main island in the Philippines (tho over 7100 islands make up the Philippines), the seat of power is in Luzon, the infrastructural grid , power grid systems, natural reserves, main military infrstructure is located in Luzon. The same way it is in Indonesia in that the seat of power is in Java, the overwhelming allocation of wealth in Indonesia is centrifugal in Java, particularly in Jakarta as well as culturally in Jogyakarta (Yogyakarta). Tho you have to understand the socio-cultural dynamic if the island is separated by two very large ethnic groups (quite similar to the Philippines' Luzon, by the way). In the island of Java , to the west of the island -- it is occupied by the Sundanese ethnic group, the central to eastern hinterland is primarily occupied by the Javanese ethnic group. Its really more so a language or dialectic variance than say an actual physical difference in groups since the Javanese and Sundanese are part of the greater Austronesian ethnic family. But you need to know the Javanese-Sundanese dynamic when trying to apply that to political and legislative processes. It is very much real. I think it is similar, if i had to compare it that is , to the island of Luzon's ethnic dynamic between the Tagalogs of central and southern Luzon to the Illocanos of the Northern Luzon. There is an ethnic-dialectic dichotomy, i must say.

java-island.jpg

VS

Philippine_languages_per_region.png

2. Resource Factor

In Indonesia you will notice that the island of Java is heavily inundated with population growth and decreasing natural resources. There are two main islands in Indonesia that have remained largely untapped and with practically unlimited natural resources (heavy in natural gas, petroelum, tin, copper, tungsten, heavy metal iron ore, lead, cadmium), in diamond, gold, silver, as well as immense wood , timber, and medicinal herbs that are pertinent to pharmaceuticals sector. I suppose there will be a need to develop HSR to integrate these resource rich regions to Java, and that requires extensive capital, which Jakarta does not have much of, but which Japan and China does. I suppose this is where Japan and China plan an important, crucial role in aiding Indonesia's developmental processes. This is a long term investiture.

but i think the new paradigm in indonesia's raiwaly projects in the next 2-3 decades will be to integrate the entire island of Sumatra in context to railway infrastructure. Mind you the island of Sumatra is larger than the entire country of Malaysia, and Cambodia combined. Tho Sumatra is sparesly populated in comparison to Java, the natural resources in Sumatra is practically untapped , there is huge supply there of timber, coal, natural gas, gold, copper, diamond, immense fertile fishing grounds --- all the requisites to fuel Indonesia's secondary industrial awakening. In the future, there will be a great human migration to settle Sumatra, to develop it. Huge capital will be required to help develop this wonderful, vast, rich country. Japan and China will help in this goal, i suppose.

Well then Sumatra to Indonesia is like the "West" to US a century ago or those western provinces to China nowadays, opportunity! Infra, connectivity, again should be the seed for subsequent development, these are some areas that Japan & China can participate.

Well then Sumatra to Indonesia is like the "West" to US a century ago or those western provinces to China nowadays, opportunity! Infra, connectivity, again should be the seed for subsequent development, these are some areas that Japan & China can participate.

I would liken Sumatra to say Xinjiang and Tibet for China. Since both Xinjiang and Tibet are resource-rich provinces of the People's Republic of China; immense resource and production sites for solar energy, oil, natural gas, and hard metals. Sumatra is rich in oil , natural gas (they have a vast , vast reserves here), immense amounts of gold, silver, copper. Not withstanding that SUmatra is also strategically located since it northern shores leads to the Malaccas Straits. 1/3rd of the world's shipping passes through Sumatra.

You see, bro, this island's development is not just to Indonesia's interest, but to the world community. :)

Yes, Japan will continue to invest in Indonesia. As will China.

I would liken Sumatra to say Xinjiang and Tibet for China. Since both Xinjiang and Tibet are resource-rich provinces of the People's Republic of China; immense resource and production sites for solar energy, oil, natural gas, and hard metals. Sumatra is rich in oil , natural gas (they have a vast , vast reserves here), immense amounts of gold, silver, copper. Not withstanding that SUmatra is also strategically located since it northern shores leads to the Malaccas Straits. 1/3rd of the world's shipping passes through Sumatra.

You see, bro, this island's development is not just to Indonesia's interest, but to the world community. :)

no Sumatra actually quite densely populated too, the population of Sumatra islands is around 70 million people. And they are not as backward as Eastern Indonesian provinces like Maluku, Papua and East Nusatenggara. Sumatra itself had decent infrastructure like railways, electronic grid and high speed internet services. But surely they are not as developed as Java

no Sumatra actually quite densely populated too, the population of Sumatra islands is around 70 million people. And they are not as backward as Eastern Indonesian provinces like Maluku, Papua and East Nusatenggara. Sumatra itself had decent infrastructure like railways, electronic grid and high speed internet services. But surely they are not as developed as Java

Just one island , Sumatra, is already more populous than the Thailand , Myanmar, or (Malaysia, Cambodia, Laos, Burnei combined). That just shows to us, Madoka-chan, how large Indonesia is and such a potential she has for further development. :)

Yes, i suppose you are indeed right that Sumatra is developing, and should be as developed as Java. As to the status of the islands of Maluku, Papua, East Nusatenggara, those islands, too, should be developed. Tho i would think greater emphasis should be made on developing more roads, provincial high ways, and importantly --- port modernization improvements. Yes, my dear sister?

Well absolutely no corporations regardless of their nationalities will miss this huge and fast growing market, especially those highly competitive ones from Japan, China and the likes. Infrastructure, always my favorite subject! It will help Indonesia further upgrade its industrial-exports economy in Java, and get other resources-rich regions like Sumatra to join the game. I have confidence on many Chinese corps (not all), hope they compete well and deliver results!

A bit off-topic if I may. Geo-politically speaking, Japan will naturally seek security assurance for her maritime life-lines, hence Indonesia is naturally one critical security partner. While China despite being a continental country, her eastern seaboard relies on exactly the same maritime routes. All sides should continue to get engaged in improving security assurance for these routes, well security is also a business, let's discuss in a separate thread.

Sister? Pardon me for my ignorance in Indonesian geo-economy my lady, it's all Nihonjin's fault LOL!

Upgrading infra is also big business, well so big that naturally needs to be phased out in execution. Progressively my dear, no rush.

Last edited:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom