What's new

China Hong Kong SAR: News and Images

Thanks guys for helping me out. I wasn't quite sure due to the long 156-year British rule.

Now, I am more confident in making claims about Hong Kong history.

Also, I can't read Mandarin anymore. I can recognize perhaps 10 to 20 characters. The rest look familiar, but I can't recall their meaning.

Hong Kong was never a democracy. And we have never been considered or recognized as an independent state or territory (which is correct).

Our top leaders have always been appointed.

Despite the "high and mighty" proclamations from the British, they never considered giving us democracy until a few years before the handover, just as a parting shot at China!

Now, the official narrative from both China and Britain is that "Hong Kong was always a part of China", and the British just "administered" the island on a temporary basis.

That's why the PRC government considers all ethnic Chinese born in Hong Kong to be Chinese nationals, before or after the handover. Because Hong Kong was always officially a part of China, even during the British "temporary adminstration".
Thanks guys for helping me out. I wasn't quite sure due to the long 156-year British rule.

Now, I am more confident in making claims about Hong Kong history.

Also, I can't read Mandarin anymore. I can recognize perhaps 10 to 20 characters. The rest look familiar, but I can't recall their meaning.

You cannot trust Dragon to tell the truth or he simply has no clue. Hong Kong Island and small part of Kowloon was ceded to UK. Only New Territory was leased.

Treaty of Nanking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Qing government agreed to make Hong Kong Island a crown colony, ceding it to the British Queen "in perpetuity" (常遠, Cháng yuǎn, in the Chinese version of the treaty), to provide British traders with a harbour where they could unload their goods (Article III). Pottinger was later appointed the first governor of Hong Kong.

Convention of Peking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Article 6 of the Convention between China and the United Kingdom stipulated that China was to cede the part of Kowloon Peninsula south of present day Boundary Street, Kowloon, and Hong Kong (including Stonecutters Island) in perpetuity to Britain.

New Territories - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The New Territories were leased from Qing China to the United Kingdom in 1898 for 99 years in the Second Convention of Peking (The Convention for the Extension of Hong Kong Territory).

You cannot trust Dragon to tell the truth or he simply has no clue. Hong Kong Island and small part of Kowloon was ceded to UK. Only New Territory was leased.

The Qing government agreed to make Hong Kong Island a crown colony, ceding it to the British Queen "in perpetuity" (常遠, Cháng yuǎn, in the Chinese version of the treaty), to provide British traders with a harbour where they could unload their goods (Article III). Pottinger was later appointed the first governor of Hong Kong.

Article 6 of the Convention between China and the United Kingdom stipulated that China was to cede the part of Kowloon Peninsula south of present day Boundary Street, Kowloon, and Hong Kong (including Stonecutters Island) in perpetuity to Britain.

The New Territories were leased from Qing China to the United Kingdom in 1898 for 99 years in the Second Convention of Peking (The Convention for the Extension of Hong Kong Territory).

Because a Malay from Singapore knows better? :lol:

Sure, HK island was technically ceded in "perpetuity" at the time, however that is clearly no longer the case. As agreed on by both China and Britain.

And the view of the PRC and HK government is that HK was always a part of China, which is why we are officially considered Chinese nationals even if born in HK before the handover. Chinese nationals, not British nationals (obviously).

No country in the world disputes this.

Last edited:

Yes, after winning the Falkland Islands from the Argentina, Maggi Thatcher, the iron lady lost Hong Kong to China without a fight.

Wining without fighting is the acme of warfare. - sun tzu

Yes, after winning the Falkland Islands from the Argentina, Maggi Thatcher, the iron lady lost Hong Kong to China without a fight.

Wining without fighting is the acme of warfare. - sun tzu

Its not just that --- its the fact that they promised to return Hong Kong to the Mainland after specified amount of time. By reneging on that promise, they would , truly, lose considerable international respect and integrity. British promise would be utterly meaningless. Secondarily, the British also observed the same situation even for the Portuguese , who had ruled over Macao for nearly half a millenia. Yet Lisbon parted with Macao due to the promise it made in returning it to the Mainland after aforementioned time.

Its not just that --- its the fact that they promised to return Hong Kong to the Mainland after specified amount of time. By reneging on that promise, they would , truly, lose considerable international respect and integrity. British promise would be utterly meaningless. Secondarily, the British also observed the same situation even for the Portuguese , who had ruled over Macao for nearly half a millenia. Yet Lisbon parted with Macao due to the promise it made in returning it to the Mainland after aforementioned time.
Not true. Hong kong Island and Kowloon was ceded to Britain. The new territory was later leased for 99years. Maggie Thatcher actually wanted to keep Hong Kong lsland and Kowloon and then extent new territory lease.

Macao was entirely different. Macao was always Chinese territory but administrated by Portuguese.

Thatcher was a prime minister, not the house of parliament. It may have been her personal opinion to have kept Hong Kong, nevertheless, a promised treaty was a promised treaty. And as I said earlier in my post, by reneging on said agreement would have resulted in British oaths to all overseas partners as worthless.

Think strategically.

Macao was entirely different. Macao was always Chinese territory but administrated by Portuguese.

That's not true. Macau, early on, was administered by Lisbon , but in 1887 it was incorporated into the Portuguese Empire as an overseas territory. Please refer to the Sino-Portuguese Treaty of Peiking, which resulted in China ceding Macau to Portugal for perpetuity:

Sino-Portuguese Treaty of Peking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nevertheless, it was Lisbon that returned Macau to China in 1999.

Thatcher was a prime minister, not the house of parliament. It may have been her personal opinion to have kept Hong Kong, nevertheless, a promised treaty was a promised treaty. And as I said earlier in my post, by reneging on said agreement would have resulted in British oaths to all overseas partners as worthless.

Think strategically.
I am not too sure when did UK promised to returned to HK earlier than 1980s.

I am not too sure when did UK promised to returned to HK earlier than 1980s.

The moment they entered the 'lease'. By that definition, a lease is a territory on loan, for said amount of time. The very basis of lease is constitutive of 'borrowing'. Hence, it is to be returned after restitution of said lease term.

Do some reading in property law.

The moment they entered the 'lease'. By that definition, a lease is a territory on loan, for said amount of time. The very basis of lease is constitutive of 'borrowing'. Hence, it is to be returned after restitution of said lease term.

Do some reading in property law.
It was ceded. Just NT was leased for 99 years.

Basically the return of HK require the abolishment of part of Treaty of Nanjing

It was ceded. Just NT was leased for 99 years.

Basically the return of HK require the abolishment of part of Treaty of Nanjing

In 1898, after conclusion of the Second Convention of Peiking, the treaty included a 99 year lease of the new territories (Kowloon Peninsula and Hong Kong Island). Hence, this is the reason why Hong was handed over in 1997 as per the treaty. The British signed it, hence they followed suit. Even with the Conservative Party in power in UK at the time during the 1980s, they, too, were reticent in the fact that HK was to be handed over.

Think strategically.

As far as I know. She went against the advise of Chris Patten.

"China, in other words, was determined to take back the whole of Hong Kong; and it felt no need of Britain's blessing to do so."

How Mrs Thatcher Lost Hong Kong: Ten years ago, fired up by her triumph in the Falklands war, Margaret Thatcher flew to Peking for a last-ditch attempt to keep Hong Kong under British rule - only to meet her match in Deng Xiaoping. Two years later she signed the agreement handing the territory to China - Arts and Entertainment - The Independent

That's not true. Macau, early on, was administered by Lisbon , but in 1887 it was incorporated into the Portuguese Empire as an overseas territory. Please refer to the Sino-Portuguese Treaty of Peiking, which resulted in China ceding Macau to Portugal for perpetuity:

Sino-Portuguese Treaty of Peking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nevertheless, it was Lisbon that returned Macau to China in 1999.

But your in your link, the treaty was null as it was not ratified within the 2 years. I am right.

Interpretations
According to the Portuguese interpretation, sovereignty over Macau was surrendered to Portugal. In the Chinese interpretation, only administrative rights were transferred.

Apart from all the top officials who were appointed by the Brits, the people of HK also have to foot ALL the bills of British garrisons stationed in HK
I dont know how transparent were these expenditures to the general public then
5a1f5fde50984107ffcba0a5b0a9ec36.gif

16 February 2015 Last updated at 05:01
  • In pictures: Hong Kong 'parallel trade' protests
  • Angry protests have taken place in a shopping centre in Hong Kong against mainlanders who visit the territory to shop.

Hong Kong residents have long complained about mainlanders buying up goods at lower tax rates and then selling them on at home at a profit, so-called parallel trading.

They say this leaves Hong Kongers with a shortage of basic supplies and pushes up the cost of goods, while also accusing the mainlanders of bad behaviour.

_81029087_f5593de7-fab6-4a07-8f02-e28c802a2282.jpg
Tens of millions of mainlanders visit Hong Kong every year, many for just a day. The protesters compare them to locusts, saying they are taking advantage of Hong Kong's lack of a goods and services tax.
_81028960_hi025886471.jpg

The protesters gathered on Sunday at the New Town Plaza shopping centre in Sha Tin, surrounding mainland shoppers and heckling them. It was the second such protest in a week.
_81029089_156c50b6-e99a-4689-9882-9005b8d3c1ef.jpg

This time of year is a particularly busy shopping period as people stock up on food and gifts ahead of Lunar New Year celebrations. This man was being detained by protesters who accused him of beating someone up.
_81028958_hi025885976.jpg

least one protester waved a Hong Kong colonial-era flag, a symbol often used by the pro-independence movement in the former British colony.
_81029091_hi025885644.jpg

Hong Kong's media said a number of people were arrested as protesters clashed with police, who deployed pepper spray to hold them back.
_81029501_hi025887315.jpg

This mainland woman was watching the unrest from behind a shop shutter. One shopper visiting from Hangzhou told the South China Morning Post: "This is crazy, I don't know why they are so violent. I have only come to buy gifts for the Lunar New Year, I guess I won't spend so much here in the future."
_81029385_hi025885764.jpg

The issue of parallel trading has been rumbling for several years and is seen as a factor in rising anti-mainland sentiment in Hong Kong.
_81029505_hi025884664.jpg

The authorities do conduct occasional sweeps and arrest parallel traders under immigration offences, but the protesters want a bigger crackdown.

Back
Top Bottom