What's new

China Economy Forum

How many computer used in China now, mainly which OS and Microprocessor used in those?
Millions in China, the cheaper PC on taobao.com only sell hundreds of RMB.
The numbers of PC is bigger than smartphones in China. Most r Intel x86 CPU, then AMD x86.
In PC commericial market there's no China CPU yet, in smartphone CPU has HuaWei and MTK(TaiWan) CPU.

wish China could self-supply the need of those popular equipments.
a PC or laptop would be better tool for working, studying ... lead to earn more knowledge and money.

wish China could self-supply the need of those popular equipments.
a PC or laptop would be better tool for working, studying ... lead to earn more knowledge and money.

China to Declare US Chip Giant Monopoly, Penalties Pending - Reports

China to Declare US Chip Giant Monopoly, Penalties Pending - Reports

© REUTERS/ Albert Gea
12:36 25/07/2014

MOSCOW, July 25 (RIA Novosti) - Beijing will soon announce that US chip supplier Qualcomm holds a monopoly in China’s mobile phone chip market, the China Daily newspaper reported Friday, citing an official in the country’s economic planning agency.

According to the publication, Xu Kunlin, director of China’s anti-monopoly bureau of the National Development and Reform Commission, ruled that Qualcomm "has a monopoly," as the investigation of the US chipmaker drew to a close. Xu said the legal declaration of the company’s new status will come soon, but no indication of what possible penalties the California-based technology company might face.

Qualcomm CEO Steve Mollenkopf gave no comment on the matter because the decision has not been officially announced; neither did head of Qualcomm China Wang Xiang.

What Qualcomm did announce was a $150 million investment project aimed at Chinese startups on the same day the anti-trust allegations came in.

Mollenkopf attributed the “new venture investment” to the fact that China “has become a significant portion in handset manufacturing and development,” although investors speculate the move could have been a gesture from Qualcomm to please Beijing.

Earlier on Wednesday, Qualcomm issued an earnings release subtly warning investors that "China continues to present significant opportunities for us, particularly with the rollout of 4G LTE, but also presents significant challenges, as our business practices continue to be the subject of an investigation by the China National Development and Reform Commission."

Under China’s anti-monopoly laws, the government is entitled to 10 percent of a company’s previous-year revenue as a penalty, which is a clear example of the country-specific “challenges” for Qualcomm, which made $12 billion in Chinese sales over the year ending last September. At the same time the market share of the US chipmaker is too large for China to fully give up on at once, which means legal penalties are unlikely to go further than a conventional fine.

20140725091344980.jpg

Tencent Among Chinese Companies Approved to Set Up Three Lenders - Bloomberg

Tencent Holdings Ltd. (700) was among companies approved by China’s banking regulator to establish three privately owned lenders as the government eases restrictions on the state-controlled banking industry.

The banks will be based in the cities of Shenzhen, Wenzhou and Tianjin, the China Banking Regulatory Commission said in a statement today. The lenders will begin drafting corporate strategies, and selecting senior managers and board directors before opening officially, the statement showed.

The approvals are the latest step in a trial program the CBRC made public in March to create five privately owned banks focused on smaller businesses, most of which have little access to credit. China’s President Xi Jinping is pushing reforms to loosen government controls in everything from energy pricing to banking.

The CBRC will continue to guide the two other private banks that were approved earlier, Shang Fulin, chairman of the regulator, said in the statement.

Tencent, Asia’s largest Internet company, will set up the bank in its homebase of Shenzhen with Baiyeyuan and Liye Group, according to today’s statement. That bank will focus on consumers and smaller businesses, the statement showed.

The Internet company will own 30 percent of the lender, while Baiyeyuan and Liye will hold 20 percent each, a separate CBRC statement showed today.

Huabei Group and Maigou (Tianjin) Group Co. will own a combined 38 percent of the bank in Tianjin specialized in corporate lending, the CBRC said. Chint Group Corp. and Huafon Group Co. will lead the establishment of a lender in Wenzhou catering to small firms and rural businesses.

Final Approval
After preparations are completed, the new banks will still need approval from their local CBRC branches before they can open officially, the regulator said.

Alibaba Group Holding Ltd., which was among 10 companies named in March to participate in the trial, wasn’t included in today’s list. The CBRC said it will expand the program at an appropriate time to allow more private capital into the financial industry.

Privately owned banks must have adequate net capital, a specific business strategy and a mechanism to prevent risks from spreading and to protect depositors’ interests, the CBRC’s Shang said in March. They also need “living wills” designed to ensure an orderly wind-down if they go bankrupt, Shang said at the time.

Last edited:
Chinese Premier stresses urbanization, modern agriculture

133511417_14063297225651n.jpg

133511417_14063297226581n.jpg

133511417_14063297226901n.jpg

133511417_14063297227361n.jpg

133511417_14063297227831n.jpg

133511417_14063297228461n.jpg

JINAN, July 25 (Xinhua) -- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang has urged more efforts to push forward urbanization, promote agricultural modernization and coordinate urban-rural development.

Li made the remarks during an inspection tour to east China's Shandong Province from Thursday to Friday.

The premier said local governments should solicit more social capital to fund the construction of infrastructures in counties where these facilities are usually poor and in want of renovation.

He called for more labor-intensive industries during urbanization so that new city dwellers can get employment near their homes.

Li asked local governments to provide equal public services, including medical care, social insurance and education, to farmer-turned urbanites, and safeguard their legal interests.

For those willing to start a business in cities, the premier promised streamlined procedures, easier access to the market and a fair competition environment.

Along with urbanization, Li also underlined the importance of modern agriculture. He said China should advance farming technology and help those who choose to stay in the countryside cultivate more land and increase earnings.

Chinese Premier stresses urbanization, modern agriculture - Xinhua | English.news.cn

Not a good indication for China-US trade going forward, especially in regards to intellectual property rights.

The intellectual property rights is the big issue in the trade. China and the US have many dispute over this. According to some, more than half of the US trade involves intellectual property right, and the US doesn't want to lose the competitive edge.

My professor (American) once said In 18th century, the England and Venice had the most complete patent law. But later on, some countries began anti-patent movement due to free trade arguments, especially the Germany, they copied many patents from England. Because they believed that the patent was too cost and clumsy, it will impede free trade. Then the US copied many patents from Germany or other European countries. So this is the history, it looks like once again.

Not a good indication for China-US trade going forward, especially in regards to intellectual property rights.
that ship has sailed. Is there anything China has made that America isn't claiming credit for? I'm sure it has truth in some cases, but I doubt American CIA is that stupid.

Also look at it this way, China will eventualy embrace IPs as our own IPs become bigger and better, but how could less of a monopoly be better for America ever. So if it's just these two, we are losing next to nothing by doing this.

The intellectual property rights is the big issue in the trade. China and the US have many dispute over this. According to some, more than half of the US trade involves intellectual property right, and the US doesn't want to lose the competitive edge.

My professor (American) once said In 18th century, the England and Venice had the most complete patent law. But later on, some countries began anti-patent movement due to free trade arguments, especially the Germany, they copied many patents from England. Because they believed that the patent was too cost and clumsy, it will impede free trade. Then the US copied many patents from Germany or other European countries. So this is the history, it looks like once again.

I agree that it's a stage that all countries go through, but I must admit that I am disappointed that China is still doing this, even with technological giants of its own like Huawei, and will soon be the largest economy in the world.

Wasn't TD-SCDMA developed specifically to avoid paying royalties to Qualcomm? It appears that once it evolved to TD-LTE, it could no longer be avoided. The declaration of a monopoly and the confiscation of 10% of revenue seems like an exceptionally underhanded way to minimize the royalty payments. What other American patents will be subject to this kind of administrative action? Will American companies ever have a level playing field in China?

that ship has sailed. Is there anything China has made that America isn't claiming credit for? I'm sure it has truth in some cases, but I doubt American CIA is that stupid.

Also look at it this way, China will eventualy embrace IPs as our own IPs become bigger and better, but how could less of a monopoly be better for America ever. So if it's just these two, we are losing next to nothing by doing this.

I don't understand your comment about the US claiming credit for Chinese innovations. The Chinese government didn't say that Qualcomm stole Chinese IP, it basically said it doesn't want to pay for Qualcomm's IP anymore.

Sure, with such a move, you lose nothing--unless the US retaliates. This seems like a very short-sighted move to me, and can only cause more tensions in the relationship.

Kick out every Yankee company that China has an equivalent of.

Use the Yankee companies like prostitutes and dump them once Chinese companies can replace them.

Yankees have no business taking marketshare from Chinese companies.

The west will revenge

I don't give a flying F what the Western nazis think or do. Chinese companies must dominate the Chinese market.

I don't understand your comment about the US claiming credit for Chinese innovations. The Chinese government didn't say that Qualcomm stole Chinese IP, it basically said it doesn't want to pay for Qualcomm's IP anymore.

Sure, with such a move, you lose nothing--unless the US retaliates. This seems like a very short-sighted move to me, and can only cause more tensions in the relationship.

No point to that comment, other than how can our relations get worse?

Also we are two leading economies, America is trying to keep its position as the leader and we are burning money to catch up.

Due to these two conflicting positions, we can give you our wife for christmas and I don't think it would matter in the long run, do you?

No point to that comment, other than how can our relations get worse?

Also we are two leading economies, America is trying to keep its position as the leader and we are burning money to catch up.

Due to these two conflicting positions, we can give you our wife for christmas and I don't think it would matter in the long run, do you?

We have huge trade flows between us. Our relations can always get worse if a trade war opens up.

Back
Top Bottom