What's new

China Automobile Industry, Technology (NEV, Driverless, etc): News & Images

@TaiShang , guess you are a fan of SUV? Wanna to share you a piece of news about new SUV launch. GWM (Greatwall Motor) is going to launch the new generation of Haval H6, a superstar SUV model in the Chinese market. Considering the sales volume of Haval H6, I think this is a model with much greater significance than the Chang'an CS95.

Haval H6 (the current generation) reaches
600k units sales in 2016! A single model with 600k units sales volume in one year, that's an incredible number. Just a comparison, for mid-sized countries like Belgium, Argentina or Malaysia, their new car sales volume in 2016 is around 500k units.

Here are pictures of the new Haval H6.
Haval H6_3.jpg
Haval H6_2.jpg
Haval H6_1.jpg

Also a test video of this new Greatwall model.
http://v.autohome.com.cn/v-106166.html

@TaiShang , guess you are a fan of SUV? Wanna to share you a piece of news about new SUV launch. GWM (Greatwall Motor) is going to launch the new generation of Haval H6, a superstar SUV model in the Chinese market. Considering the sales volume of Haval H6, I think this is a model with much greater significance than the Chang'an CS95.

Haval H6 (the current generation) reaches
600k units sales in 2016! A single model with 600k units sales volume in one year, that's an incredible number. Just a comparison, for mid-sized countries like Belgium, Argentina or Malaysia, their new car sales volume in 2016 is around 500k units.

Here are pictures of the new Haval H6.
View attachment 389931 View attachment 389932 View attachment 389933

Also a test video of this new Greatwall model.
http://v.autohome.com.cn/v-106166.html

Beautiful looking car, both interior and exterior. I guess this is 5 seater. Fuel economy must be better now that it is smaller. What is the price range in RMB?

Changan cs95 goes between 165.000 t0 229.000, I think.

Last year, when I was in Mainland, I saw Haval SUVs everywhere although I did not pay much attention to the model.

I am indeed an SUV fan and once the shackles of a research assistant are removed on me, I will consider buying one. I want it to be a China brand.

Haval or Chang'an; for some reason, I did not like the Brand name of GAC's GS8 SUV.

Note: Haval is also big in Russia.

upload_2017-4-10_17-59-34.png

upload_2017-4-10_17-59-56.png

Beautiful looking car, both interior and exterior. I guess this is 5 seater. Fuel economy must be better now that it is smaller. What is the price range in RMB?

Changan cs95 goes between 165.000 t0 229.000, I think.

Last year, when I was in Mainland, I saw Haval SUVs everywhere although I did not pay much attention to the model.

I am indeed an SUV fan and once the shackles of a research assistant are removed on me, I will consider buying one. I want it to be a China brand.
pricing of the new Haval H6 not be announced yet. I personally guess its entry price would be about RMB 110k to RMB 120k.

In Mainland, you can have sufficient choices on SUV! In addition to Chang'an, Haval or GAC, some other recommendations from my side:
- Geely Boyue (吉利博越)
- SAIC Roewe RX5 (上汽荣威RX5)
- BYD Tang (this is a plug-in hybrid model, also a seven-seater; My personal favourite :-))

pricing of the new Haval H6 not be announced yet. I personally guess its entry price would be about RMB 110k to RMB 120k.

In Mainland, you can have sufficient choices on SUV! In addition to Chang'an, Haval or GAC, some other recommendations from my side:
- Geely Boyue (吉利博越)
- SAIC Roewe RX5 (上汽荣威RX5)
- BYD Tang (this is a plug-in hybrid model, also a seven-seater; My personal favourite :-))

Indeed so many choices, which is good. China will likely become a land of SUVs, and I guess truck will follow.

S7 also looking not bad.

7m-s1.jpg

7m-s2.jpg

7m-s3.jpg

7m-s4.jpg

Geely: The astonishing rise of a small Chinese car company

An insider’s account of how a tiny, privately owned automaker went from junk to hunk.

5 hours ago

By Michael Dunne

geely.jpg

Geely’s new Lynk & Co marque, model 01.

Ten years ago, Geely Automotive was a car pipsqueak, a maker of problem-prone machines with names like King Kong and Beauty Leopard, and with sticker prices under $10,000. When Chinese consumers couldn’t afford a better car, they turned to Geely.

Today, Geely is busting all-time sales and profit records. The Hangzhou-based company is China’s number one private automaker after Great Wall Motors. Globally, it is quickly expanding its market share through ownership of the resurgent Volvo Cars. How did Geely move from being an also-ran to a competitive automaker so quickly? As a consultant focusing on China’s automotive industry, I saw firsthand the transformation of this unlikely upstart into a formidable global player.

Geely and the Shanghai Auto Show

The Shanghai International Automobile Industry Exhibition (Auto Shanghai) will be held from April 21 to April 28, 2017. Here’s what to look for, and where Geely fits in:

SUVs are red-hot in China

• The People’s Republic is already the world’s number one electric vehicle (EV) market. The sports utility vehicle (SUV)/crossover market, on track to reach 10 million units in 2017, now accounts for 40 percent of all Chinese passenger vehicle sales. Look for new crossovers and EVs to dominate the Shanghai Auto Show. Chinese consumers and state agencies bought a stunning 27 million cars, trucks, and buses last year. For comparison, Americans bought 17.5 million.
  • Geely continues to ride the crossover wave. In the first quarter of 2017, Geely sales soared 91 percent to 278,000 vehicles, according to numbers from the China Association of Automotive Manufacturers. Geely’s growth is being powered by three new crossovers: the Boyue, Emgrand GS, and Vision. Two more upcoming crossovers from the Geely Group will be on display at the Shanghai Auto Show, including the all-new Lynk 01.
Internet giants
  • China’s internet giants will also be present at the Shanghai Show. Next EV will show the NIO EP9 supercar, the world’s fastest electric car. Baidu’s autonomous drive technology will power a new model produced by the Beijing Automotive Industry Corporation. Alibaba’s connected-car technologies will also be featured in the Roewe RX5 SUV.
Chinese competitors to Geely
  • Beijing Automotive and Hong Kong-listed BYD are in a dogfight for leadership in electric vehicles. The two companies produce 8 of the 10 best-selling EVs in China.
  • Great Wall Motors — sometimes called the Jeep of China — makes China’s best-selling SUV, the Haval H6.
Dead last

In the summer of 2008, Li Shufu 李书福, chairman of Geely Automotive, sat at a conference table at the Shanghai Hyatt Hotel across from my team at the auto-focused market research firm J.D. Power. (Disclosure: I have known Li since 2003, and worked as managing director of J.D. Power China from 2007 to 2010, consulting for Geely.) Our team had just delivered a report and survey on the status and prospects for Geely Automotive in the Chinese market. The results were stunning: In the survey, the company had finished dead last among 36 car brands.

Not good. We waited for Li’s response.

He finished the report and looked at us without saying anything for several seconds, his arms crossed. Then his words started firing rat-tat-tat, like a machine gun: “Problem’s the engine. That’s it. Very clear. It is a problem. Need to fix it. The engine.”

Seconds later, another short burst: “We can’t do any worse.”

For the next hour, my team and I reviewed bar charts and things gone wrong with Geely executives. But Li didn’t so much as glance at the presentation slides. He appeared bored. He said nothing.

He had already moved on.

Li understood that for Geely to drastically improve its quality, his cars would need a revolutionary breakthrough. But how?

He could not expect much help at home, where Geely had to compete with powerful, connected state enterprises — China’s favored sons. “The government taxes us and the funds go to our competitors, the state-owned companies!” Li protested later. “They take our money and give it to our competitors!” Li sensed the need to look outside. When Ford Motor Company put Volvo up for sale in 2010, Li pounced, buying the loss-making Swedish carmaker for $1.8 billion. One person involved in the deal later said, “Li is shrewd, ambitious, and charismatic.”

But analysts were skeptical of the deal. What did Li and his team know about running a premium car company? The consensus was that Geely would gut and eventually destroy Volvo.

It didn’t. Li, hailing from the hardscrabble farming town of Taizhou, had a different vision. “A tiger belongs to the forest,” he said at the time of the Volvo purchase. “It belongs to the wild world and not confined in a zoo. We need to liberate this tiger.” He gave Volvo’s Swedish management the freedom to forge a renaissance, and it delivered. In 2016, just six years after the purchase, Volvo Cars sold more vehicles and made higher profits ($785 million) than at any time since its formation in 1927. That same year, the Volvo XC90 won the prestigious North American Truck of the Year Award, beating out formidable entries from BMW, Mercedes, and Audi for top honors.

Volvo has also added new factories in China. In 2015, it became the first company to ship made-in-China vehicles to the United States. That S60 sedan you see at the Volvo dealership in downtown Atlanta? Built in China.

Returning Volvo to strength was a huge accomplishment. But Li sought more than just the Volvo business. Shortly after the purchase, he made two other strategic moves.

li-shufu-smiling-345x500.jpg

Geely CEO Li Shufu has many reasons to laugh. Image from Autohome.

Secret project “L”

First, Li began investing several hundred million dollars a year into the newly created China Europe Vehicle Technology (CEVT), a tech center in Gothenburg, Sweden. Inside the facility, 1,700 Chinese and European engineers worked shoulder-to-shoulder on a secret project code-named “L.” The Chinese employees worked on keeping costs low. The Europeans focused on design and quality.

In October 2016, the world learned that the “L” stood for an entirely new car brand called Lynk & Co. (Readers may be forgiven for thinking the name is Lincoln with a different spelling.)

Inside a high-class venue in downtown Berlin, more than a thousand journalists from around the world got their first glimpse of the Lynk & Co 01, a five-door crossover. The car borrows from the linear shape of the Jeep and the sporty, sculpted look of a Porsche, according to the design team members. Lynk & Co will start building and selling the 01 in China later this year, with debuts in Europe and the U.S. scheduled for 2018.

But why another brand when the world is flooded with so many? Lynk & Co customers will be buying a vehicle with Volvo-like quality at an affordable price. This market positioning mirrors what the Volkswagen Group does very successfully with VWs and Audis. Lynk & Co also plans to bypass dealerships and sell direct, like Tesla. And owners will be able to share their cars on demand as part of a ride-sharing network.

Geely Automotive’s global march also features an important new electric vehicle initiative in the U.K. This month, the company announced plans to invest more than $300 million in a new plant to build electric taxis for London streets. Geely acquired the London Taxi Company out of bankruptcy in 2013 for less than $15 million.

For the Geely brand itself, Li brought in Peter Horbury, Volvo’s highly respected design chief, predicting that better designs would lead to significantly better products. In turn, that led to stronger sales as Chinese consumers responded enthusiastically to the Horbury-designed SUVs. Geely sales jumped 50 percent to a record 766,000 vehicles in 2016. Profits more than doubled to a record $741 million, the company told the Financial Times on March 22.

The momentum is expected to continue. This year alone, Geely sales are likely to surpass 1 million units. Investors have taken notice as Geely shares — listed in Hong Kong — have soared above $11 from just $3 a year ago. Geely is now on Chevy’s heels, and nearing the industry average in rankings such as the J.D. Power Report. Considering Horbury’s new generation of better-designed vehicles, it’s safe to say those rankings will continue to rise.

When we met a few months ago in Europe, Li, now a multibillionaire, struck me as unusually relaxed and content. I told him in Chinese that he looked younger than before. Li’s eyes widened, he flashed a smile and fired back: “Younger than before? Impossible! Younger than before? Not possible!”

Then he set his gaze on a point over my shoulder and held it there. He moved on and seemed to be fixated on something new: The next conquest.

http://supchina.com/2017/04/13/geelys-rise-chinese-car-company/

@TaiShang

An insider’s account of how a tiny, privately owned automaker went from junk to hunk.

5 hours ago

By Michael Dunne

geely.jpg

Geely’s new Lynk & Co marque, model 01.

Ten years ago, Geely Automotive was a car pipsqueak, a maker of problem-prone machines with names like King Kong and Beauty Leopard, and with sticker prices under $10,000. When Chinese consumers couldn’t afford a better car, they turned to Geely.

Today, Geely is busting all-time sales and profit records. The Hangzhou-based company is China’s number one private automaker after Great Wall Motors. Globally, it is quickly expanding its market share through ownership of the resurgent Volvo Cars. How did Geely move from being an also-ran to a competitive automaker so quickly? As a consultant focusing on China’s automotive industry, I saw firsthand the transformation of this unlikely upstart into a formidable global player.

Geely and the Shanghai Auto Show

The Shanghai International Automobile Industry Exhibition (Auto Shanghai) will be held from April 21 to April 28, 2017. Here’s what to look for, and where Geely fits in:

SUVs are red-hot in China

• The People’s Republic is already the world’s number one electric vehicle (EV) market. The sports utility vehicle (SUV)/crossover market, on track to reach 10 million units in 2017, now accounts for 40 percent of all Chinese passenger vehicle sales. Look for new crossovers and EVs to dominate the Shanghai Auto Show. Chinese consumers and state agencies bought a stunning 27 million cars, trucks, and buses last year. For comparison, Americans bought 17.5 million.
  • Geely continues to ride the crossover wave. In the first quarter of 2017, Geely sales soared 91 percent to 278,000 vehicles, according to numbers from the China Association of Automotive Manufacturers. Geely’s growth is being powered by three new crossovers: the Boyue, Emgrand GS, and Vision. Two more upcoming crossovers from the Geely Group will be on display at the Shanghai Auto Show, including the all-new Lynk 01.
Internet giants
  • China’s internet giants will also be present at the Shanghai Show. Next EV will show the NIO EP9 supercar, the world’s fastest electric car. Baidu’s autonomous drive technology will power a new model produced by the Beijing Automotive Industry Corporation. Alibaba’s connected-car technologies will also be featured in the Roewe RX5 SUV.
Chinese competitors to Geely
  • Beijing Automotive and Hong Kong-listed BYD are in a dogfight for leadership in electric vehicles. The two companies produce 8 of the 10 best-selling EVs in China.
  • Great Wall Motors — sometimes called the Jeep of China — makes China’s best-selling SUV, the Haval H6.
Dead last

In the summer of 2008, Li Shufu 李书福, chairman of Geely Automotive, sat at a conference table at the Shanghai Hyatt Hotel across from my team at the auto-focused market research firm J.D. Power. (Disclosure: I have known Li since 2003, and worked as managing director of J.D. Power China from 2007 to 2010, consulting for Geely.) Our team had just delivered a report and survey on the status and prospects for Geely Automotive in the Chinese market. The results were stunning: In the survey, the company had finished dead last among 36 car brands.

He finished the report and looked at us without saying anything for several seconds, his arms crossed. Then his words started firing rat-tat-tat, like a machine gun: “Problem’s the engine. That’s it. Very clear. It is a problem. Need to fix it. The engine.”

For the next hour, my team and I reviewed bar charts and things gone wrong with Geely executives. But Li didn’t so much as glance at the presentation slides. He appeared bored. He said nothing.

He had already moved on.

Li understood that for Geely to drastically improve its quality, his cars would need a revolutionary breakthrough. But how?

He could not expect much help at home, where Geely had to compete with powerful, connected state enterprises — China’s favored sons. “The government taxes us and the funds go to our competitors, the state-owned companies!” Li protested later. “They take our money and give it to our competitors!” Li sensed the need to look outside. When Ford Motor Company put Volvo up for sale in 2010, Li pounced, buying the loss-making Swedish carmaker for $1.8 billion. One person involved in the deal later said, “Li is shrewd, ambitious, and charismatic.”

But analysts were skeptical of the deal. What did Li and his team know about running a premium car company? The consensus was that Geely would gut and eventually destroy Volvo.

It didn’t. Li, hailing from the hardscrabble farming town of Taizhou, had a different vision. “A tiger belongs to the forest,” he said at the time of the Volvo purchase. “It belongs to the wild world and not confined in a zoo. We need to liberate this tiger.” He gave Volvo’s Swedish management the freedom to forge a renaissance, and it delivered. In 2016, just six years after the purchase, Volvo Cars sold more vehicles and made higher profits ($785 million) than at any time since its formation in 1927. That same year, the Volvo XC90 won the prestigious North American Truck of the Year Award, beating out formidable entries from BMW, Mercedes, and Audi for top honors.

Volvo has also added new factories in China. In 2015, it became the first company to ship made-in-China vehicles to the United States. That S60 sedan you see at the Volvo dealership in downtown Atlanta? Built in China.

Returning Volvo to strength was a huge accomplishment. But Li sought more than just the Volvo business. Shortly after the purchase, he made two other strategic moves.

li-shufu-smiling-345x500.jpg

Geely CEO Li Shufu has many reasons to laugh. Image from Autohome.

Secret project “L”

First, Li began investing several hundred million dollars a year into the newly created China Europe Vehicle Technology (CEVT), a tech center in Gothenburg, Sweden. Inside the facility, 1,700 Chinese and European engineers worked shoulder-to-shoulder on a secret project code-named “L.” The Chinese employees worked on keeping costs low. The Europeans focused on design and quality.

In October 2016, the world learned that the “L” stood for an entirely new car brand called Lynk & Co. (Readers may be forgiven for thinking the name is Lincoln with a different spelling.)

Inside a high-class venue in downtown Berlin, more than a thousand journalists from around the world got their first glimpse of the Lynk & Co 01, a five-door crossover. The car borrows from the linear shape of the Jeep and the sporty, sculpted look of a Porsche, according to the design team members. Lynk & Co will start building and selling the 01 in China later this year, with debuts in Europe and the U.S. scheduled for 2018.

But why another brand when the world is flooded with so many? Lynk & Co customers will be buying a vehicle with Volvo-like quality at an affordable price. This market positioning mirrors what the Volkswagen Group does very successfully with VWs and Audis. Lynk & Co also plans to bypass dealerships and sell direct, like Tesla. And owners will be able to share their cars on demand as part of a ride-sharing network.

Geely Automotive’s global march also features an important new electric vehicle initiative in the U.K. This month, the company announced plans to invest more than $300 million in a new plant to build electric taxis for London streets. Geely acquired the London Taxi Company out of bankruptcy in 2013 for less than $15 million.

For the Geely brand itself, Li brought in Peter Horbury, Volvo’s highly respected design chief, predicting that better designs would lead to significantly better products. In turn, that led to stronger sales as Chinese consumers responded enthusiastically to the Horbury-designed SUVs. Geely sales jumped 50 percent to a record 766,000 vehicles in 2016. Profits more than doubled to a record $741 million, the company told the Financial Times on March 22.

The momentum is expected to continue. This year alone, Geely sales are likely to surpass 1 million units. Investors have taken notice as Geely shares — listed in Hong Kong — have soared above $11 from just $3 a year ago. Geely is now on Chevy’s heels, and nearing the industry average in rankings such as the J.D. Power Report. Considering Horbury’s new generation of better-designed vehicles, it’s safe to say those rankings will continue to rise.

When we met a few months ago in Europe, Li, now a multibillionaire, struck me as unusually relaxed and content. I told him in Chinese that he looked younger than before. Li’s eyes widened, he flashed a smile and fired back: “Younger than before? Impossible! Younger than before? Not possible!”

Then he set his gaze on a point over my shoulder and held it there. He moved on and seemed to be fixated on something new: The next conquest.

@TaiShang

One thing I would suggest for Geely brand is to change the front grill design of the car and update the logo for both lineups - Geely and Geely Emgrand.

Nonetheless, it is indeed an impressive turn-around story.

Geely Automobile Holdings Limited SALES VOLUME FOR MARCH 2017 REACHED 86,952 UNITS SALES VOLUME UP 74% YOY

(HONG KONG, 7 April 2017) --- Geely Automobile Holdings Limited (“Geely Automobile”/the “Group”)(Stock code: 175) announced that the total sales volume of the Group for the month of March 2017 was 86,952 units, an increase of approximately 74% over the same period last year, but down approximately 2% from February 2017. The Group’s exports volume was down around 69% year-on-year to 540 units in the month of March 2017. During the month of March 2017, the Group’s total sales volume in the China market was 86,412 units, an increase of around 79% from the same period last year. The total sales volume in the first quarter of 2017 was 278,581 units, an increase of approximately 94% from the same period last year, and achieving around 28% of the Group’s full year sales volume target of 1,000,000 units in 2017.

The Spokesman of Geely Automobile said, “During the month of March 2017, the sales volume of ‘New Emgrand’ was 22,331 units, an increase of about 8% from the same period last year. The sales volume of ‘Vision’ sedan was 11,080 units in March 2017, an decrease of about 14% from the same period last year. During the month of March 2017, the sales volumes of all the Group’s four new models launched in 2016 maintained at their high levels. The ‘Geely Boyue’ (吉利博越) recorded a sales volume of 20,461 units. The ‘Emgrand GS’ (帝豪GS), its first crossover SUV model, recorded a sales volume of 8,295 units. The ‘Vision SUV’ (遠景SUV), its newest SUV model, recorded a sales volume of 9,755 units. The ‘Emgrand GL’ (帝豪GL), its new generation of A+ segment sedan model, recorded a sales volume of 8,147 units.”

Detailed sales volume data will be available upon request. Please contact Ms Tracey Tong at Prime International for further information. The sales volume figures released are based on a more stringent recognition criterion, requiring all sales to be contracted, paid and delivered before it would be recognized. These figures, however, are preliminary figures and will be subject to changes and final confirmation.

http://geelyauto.com.hk/core/files/press-release/en/Geely_Sales 2017_March_EN_Final.pdf

China’s Electric Vehicle Market Is Unbeatable

Jon LeSage

April 14, 2017

Ford Motor Co. just announced an ambitious electrification strategy for China. The global Mondeo sedan will see the Mondeo Energy plug-in hybrid launched there early next year, followed by an all-electric small SUV a few years later that will go about 280 miles on one charge.

Ford is taking a more tepid approach to the U.S. market with a small number of electric models for sale. Ford CEO Mark Fields has also asked President Donald Trump to take a more conservative approach to federal fuel economy and emissions guidelines than enacted by the Obama administration shortly before leaving office.

Volkswagen brand CEO Herbert Diess recently told analysts that its new I.D. electric vehicle concept has the China market in mind. The German automaker will be launching the I.D. crossover concept next week at the Shanghai motor show.

Chinese electric carmaker BYD, backed significantly by Warren Buffet and Berkshire Hathaway, is making a splash in the U.S. through electric buses and trucks serving commercial and government clientele. But China is still No. 1, and BYD remains aggressive about holding its top place in the world’s largest electric vehicle market.

Analysts point to a few market indicators to explain explosive growth in EV sales in the China market in recent years. It also points to why global automakers are raising the bar on China’s importance.

Generous government subsidies – going to manufacturers to build what are called “new energy vehicles” in China, and to consumers to shave off a sizable portion of the purchase price – are considered to be the compelling factor. While the government is cutting back this year on available funds, incentives won’t be going away anytime soon.

Another driver has been the pressure that the national government has been putting on the transport sector to clear the air in increasingly crowded megacities such as Beijing. It was during the 2008 summer Olympics in the capital city that worldwide awareness grew and the government pushed to clean up its image and air quality.

Cutting back on oil imports also very much appeals to the national government.

Auto analysts see two major segments purchasing EVs in China. One is the up-and-coming wealthy segment of the population. They’d like to drive a luxury EV such as a high-end Tesla Model S with its long range, performance power, and hip image. They’d also like to see what Mercedes-Benz, BMW, and Audi have to offer.

The other demographic dynamic is the burgeoning population moving to megacities for education, training, and their first jobs off the farmland. They now have cash to spend on personal items, and would like to have another option besides rail and bus rides to get from Point A to Point B. They’re most interested in generous incentives and getting a good deal on a smaller, compact electric car that can be nimble in these increasingly congested city streets.

Global automakers expanding their presence in China are likely to take a more cautious approach.

By John LeSage for Oilprice.com

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/china-electric-vehicle-market-unbeatable-203000456.html

One thing I would suggest for Geely brand is to change the front grill design of the car and update the logo for both lineups - Geely and Geely Emgrand.

Nonetheless, it is indeed an impressive turn-around story.

Geely Automobile Holdings Limited SALES VOLUME FOR MARCH 2017 REACHED 86,952 UNITS SALES VOLUME UP 74% YOY

(HONG KONG, 7 April 2017) --- Geely Automobile Holdings Limited (“Geely Automobile”/the “Group”)(Stock code: 175) announced that the total sales volume of the Group for the month of March 2017 was 86,952 units, an increase of approximately 74% over the same period last year, but down approximately 2% from February 2017. The Group’s exports volume was down around 69% year-on-year to 540 units in the month of March 2017. During the month of March 2017, the Group’s total sales volume in the China market was 86,412 units, an increase of around 79% from the same period last year. The total sales volume in the first quarter of 2017 was 278,581 units, an increase of approximately 94% from the same period last year, and achieving around 28% of the Group’s full year sales volume target of 1,000,000 units in 2017.

The Spokesman of Geely Automobile said, “During the month of March 2017, the sales volume of ‘New Emgrand’ was 22,331 units, an increase of about 8% from the same period last year. The sales volume of ‘Vision’ sedan was 11,080 units in March 2017, an decrease of about 14% from the same period last year. During the month of March 2017, the sales volumes of all the Group’s four new models launched in 2016 maintained at their high levels. The ‘Geely Boyue’ (吉利博越) recorded a sales volume of 20,461 units. The ‘Emgrand GS’ (帝豪GS), its first crossover SUV model, recorded a sales volume of 8,295 units. The ‘Vision SUV’ (遠景SUV), its newest SUV model, recorded a sales volume of 9,755 units. The ‘Emgrand GL’ (帝豪GL), its new generation of A+ segment sedan model, recorded a sales volume of 8,147 units.”

Detailed sales volume data will be available upon request. Please contact Ms Tracey Tong at Prime International for further information. The sales volume figures released are based on a more stringent recognition criterion, requiring all sales to be contracted, paid and delivered before it would be recognized. These figures, however, are preliminary figures and will be subject to changes and final confirmation.

http://geelyauto.com.hk/core/files/press-release/en/Geely_Sales 2017_March_EN_Final.pdf

And it is a private company.

Unlike bloated state owned firms that are given enormous privileges, but are still unable to perform well.

The stupid bulxxhit blabla on "SOE sucks, privatization fantastic" jumps out again! While we all agree that it is inappropriate, or even evil, to judge a person simply by his/her skin color, why judge a company simply by shareholder structure is fine?

The following table comes from the annual report of Tata Motor. The company's share in Indian market is declining continually, across all segments. Can we therefore make the judgement that "Private company sucks, SOE fantastic"??

Tata.jpg

The stupid bulxxhit blabla on "SOE sucks, privatization fantastic" jumps out again! While we all agree that it is inappropriate, or even evil, to judge a person simply by his/her skin color, why judge a company simply by shareholder structure is fine?

The following table comes from the annual report of Tata Motor. The company's share in Indian market is declining continually, across all segments. Can we therefore make the judgement that "Private company sucks, SOE fantastic"??

View attachment 390605

Oh you misunderstand. Perhaps I should explain better.

I have NO PROBLEM with state ownership, or shareholding. In fact I am HEAVILY in favor of it.

The problem is in TYPE of state holding and business structure.

All companies, whether private, state, or mixed, should be treated similarly.

But they are NOT.

This is a paragraph from the article @cirr shared:

View attachment 390605

Also, in India TATA is loosing share to other private companies. It is a battle between different private companies.

We failed in this field.
Our state Run enterprise still can't dominate the market. We still haven't got all technology.

Our chemical engineering student continues to show his arrogance towards all China relevant topics. He know NOTHING about how business runs in China, but he thinks he is an expert on all Chinese affairs.

All companies to be treated equally? Sorry, such equality does NOT exist in REAL world. A 100 bn company is always more favored than a 1bn company, not matter they are SOE or private.

Li's words you quote were made in 2008, when Li's company was still a small potato. Little government assistance could be expected, given the pocket size limits of the government. But later, when Li's company started to show potential, government sent out the support immediately. Geely's acquisition of Volvo, you think Geely could do it alone? Actually a majority of the M&A money was financed by government directly.

CPC is very stingy, it only offers the assistance to those that are worthy of the assistance.

There are high performing SOEs, like Chang'an, GAC, SAIC; there are also low performing SOEs, like FAW. Even for the so-called low performing SOEs, e.g. FAW, it performs bad in car area; but it is the No.1 in trucks area in China.

Again, we should NEVER judge a company simply by its shareholder structure, just like we should not judge others simply by skin color.

Tata is beaten by other Indian private car companies? Tata and Mahindra are the only two major local car companies in India, but they are both losing share in the Indian market. Meanwhile, the foreign brands, e.g. Hyundai, Suzuki, Renault, etc, are all expanding their share in India. Since NO private Indian company can protect the domestic Indian market, why don't give a chance to SOEs?

There are high performing SOEs, like Chang'an, GAC, SAIC; there are also low performing SOEs, like FAW. Even for the so-called low performing SOEs, e.g. FAW, it performs bad in car area; but it is the No.1 in trucks area in China.

I would normally not care it is public or private when choosing a brand (so long as it is domestic). My favorite Mainland brand is a SOE, and, in my opinion, doing very well and has a promising future.

In general, I guess, apart from GWM (which is public, I guess), the most competitive SUV and pick-up truck segments are SOE dominated.

We can never underestimate the importance for and historical contribution of SOEs in China's economy. Of course, like any other social organism, they need periodic upgrades and reformations. Because they are for public good, as well as private good, it is normal that they would be subject to public reforms.

Volvo will build first EV in China for export, sources say

April 13, 2017 @ 6:59 am

Douglas A. Bolduc

AR-304139978.jpg

Volvo will build its first full-electric car in China, sources told Automotive News Europe ahead of an official announcement planned for the Shanghai auto show next week.

The battery-powered vehicle will debut in 2019 and will be exported globally. It will be based on the compact modular architecture (CMA) that Volvo co-developed with Zhejiang Geely Holding sister brand Lynk & CO, the sources said.

The electric car will be made at Volvo's plant in Luqiao, southeast China, alongside CMA-based models such as the all-new XC40 compact SUV, which launches later this year, and Lynk & CO's first model, the 01 crossover.

The sources said Volvo's first full-electric car would be an all-new model but declined to say what body type will be used.

The sources also confirmed that Volvo is still simultaneously developing full-electric cars that will be underpinned by its larger scalable product architecture (SPA) architecture.

Those models will be a key to helping Volvo reach its aim of having a 1 million electrified cars on the road by 2025.

That figure includes plug-in hybrid versions of every future model in the automaker's lineup. Currently, 14 percent of the XC90s that Volvo sells globally are plug-in hybrids. Volvo expects about 15 percent of customers for its new second-generation XC60 to pick the powertrain.

China push

Deciding to make its first full-electric car in China reconfirms Volvo's commitment to establishing the country as a global manufacturing and export hub.

The automaker recently moved production of the S90 to China from Sweden. Volvo will export its flagship sedan to global markets including Europe and the U.S. from its factory in Daqing.

In 2015, Volvo became the first Western automaker to export a China-made premium car outside the country when shipments of the long-wheelbase S60 Inscription started to the U.S.

Along with its plants in Daqing and Luqiao, Volvo's current and new-generation 60-series midsize models will be built at a factory in Chengdu, central China.

The massive increase in Volvo’s presence in China -- seven years ago it had no production in the world’s largest auto market -- is part of the automaker’s $11 billion revival under Chinese owner Zhejiang Geely, which bought the company from Ford Motor Co. in 2010.

“With three plants -- and the designation of one car line for each plant -- Volvo creates an efficient production structure ensuring future capacity for growth,” CEO Hakan Samuelsson said at an event in Shangahi last November.

Volvo needs the additional output in China to reach two key goals: increasing its sales in its largest-single market to 200,000 by 2020 from 90,930 last year and boosting global vehicle sales to 800,000 by the same year from 534,332 last year. The large majority of those half-million units were made at Volvo’s plants in Torslanda, near Gothenburg, Sweden, and Ghent, Belgium.

Volvo declined to provide production figures for its China plants, but Samuelsson has said he wants about one-third of the 800,000 units it plans to sell in 2020 to be made in China.

18 hours ago By Michael Dunne
2015-Geely-Emgrand-Concept-09.JPG

Dead last

In the summer of 2008, Li Shufu (李书福), chairman of Geely Automotive, sat at a conference table at the Shanghai Hyatt Hotel across from my team at the auto-focused market research firm J.D. Power. (Disclosure: I have known Li since 2003, and worked as managing director of J.D. Power China from 2007 to 2010, consulting for Geely.) Our team had just delivered a report and survey on the status and prospects for Geely Automotive in the Chinese market. The results were stunning: In the survey, the company had finished dead last among 36 car brands.

He had already moved on.

Secret project “L”

geely.jpg

But why another brand when the world is flooded with so many? Lynk & Co customers will be
buying a vehicle with Volvo-like quality at an affordable price. This market positioning mirrors what the Volkswagen Group does very successfully with VWs and Audis. Lynk & Co also plans to bypass dealerships and sell direct, like Tesla. And owners will be able to share their cars on demand as part of a ride-sharing network.

When we met a few months ago in Europe, Li, now a multibillionaire (Note: As per Forbes, his net worth is $6.7 billion as of April 2017), struck me as unusually relaxed and content. I told him in Chinese that he looked younger than before. Li’s eyes widened, he flashed a smile and fired back: “Younger than before? Impossible! Younger than before? Not possible!”

Back
Top Bottom