What's new

China, Austria, New Zealand, Turkey, South Africa & Ireland oppose India NSG

NSG membership is just icing on the cake....the cake is very good still without it.
Okay i 've decided to continue our discussion here.
Yes NSG would be just that- an icing on the cake.
By this year-end we will be a formal member of one of four important WMD, nuclear material and high technology related regulatory bodies- MTCR. India has an eye on the Australia, Wassenar groups & NSG too and why not?

I want to see how is China gonna project itself during the NSG voting. India’s nuclear non-proliferation track record, as we all know, is globally acknowledged. The billion dollar question is would China like to be seen as the mentor of a country? or be seen as a country which does not ignore reality? China's call.

Okay i 've decided to continue our discussion here.
Yes NSG would be just that- an icing on the cake.
By this year-end we will be a formal member of one of four important WMD, nuclear material and high technology related regulatory bodies- MTCR. India has an eye on the Australia, Wassenar groups & NSG too and why not?

I want to see how is China gonna project itself during the NSG voting. India’s nuclear non-proliferation track record, as we all know, is globally acknowledged. The billion dollar question is would China like to be seen as the mentor of a country? or be seen as a country which does not ignore reality? China's call.

I don't hold much for China allowing India into the NSG. They were already reluctant to give the NSG-waiver...and I don't think they will be too worried about being alone this time around.

It may come down to the pressure Obama can apply and also the cookies India earned by turning away those anti-China uighur/tibetan activists earlier. i.e all bets are off from this point forth if China denies membership.

The good thing I see is that India does not have to continue to be so inclined to think about the Chinese reaction when India approaches anti-PRC elements like Vietnam, Taiwan, Philippines and the aforementioned activists. This will only grow as the Chinese economy continues to evolve and its political system stays frozen in Stalinist times. That internal discord plays into India's strategy in the long run. We got lots of time and more pressing things to focus on internally anyway.

with losers like SA,Ireland,New zealand

These are just media reports. I am unsure how against letting India into the NSG they are in reality. I mean look at whats happened with Switzerland and Mexico in a span of a few days....and that was just Modi based diplomacy. US-based diplomacy is a force more than 10 times stronger than that.

Lets see how the actual vote goes.

I don't hold much for China allowing India into the NSG. They were already reluctant to give the NSG-waiver...and I don't think they will be too worried about being alone this time around.

It may come down to the pressure Obama can apply and also the cookies India earned by turning away those anti-China uighur/tibetan activists earlier. i.e all bets are off from this point forth if China denies membership.
Heard Chinese bankers were too eager to venture into India, wonder wat their fate would be after this vote?

Heard Chinese bankers were too eager to venture into India, wonder wat their fate would be after this vote?

Economic relations will continue. I mean they are still there even after CPEC was announced right? (and that to me was a way more anti-India move than voting against NSG admission for India will ever be given infra spending on territory India claims...similar to say if the US created a naval base on one of the SCS islands in cooperation with Philippines).

If they (Chinese) have excess liquidity to invest/hedge into conventional factories/real estate/markets/transport/general capacity in India in sectors India is comfortable in allowing and they can compete with other investors in the terms....by all means there should be no hindrance.....since their money is as green as anyone elses....and it will help the credit crunch India currently is facing.

The only crisis chinese bankers may face long term is the same thing other bankers face in India today....NPA's if you invest recklessly.....but Chinese are generally more shipshape and cautious when they leave their country to invest (compared to when they stay in China and are controlled by govt to invest internally and create a fair percentage of bubbles and white elephants).

We should keep economic realm distinct and totally neutral and unbiased for the general consumption/production sectors....since we are still a country affected by scarcity, underinvestment and low development.

Its why Japan and the US invested heavily in China all these years even though their political realm is quite confrontational at times.

India wants to sell BrahMos to Vietnam, and wants China to endorse its (India's) NSG membership?

Single digit IQ case here?
India and China will see similar situations more frequent in future.
If selling Brahmos makes China angry,what should we feel about china which has been helping our neighbours for decades now to counter India.we are just making a start.In a relationship both the parties have equal responsibility for good relations.

As far as i think US will negotiate with all other countries to accept India into NSG,but wont negotiate with china because US wants India and China to be on the opposite side of the table as much as possible and not on the same side.By china standing alone in the group to block India,china will be playing as per the script of US.

Technology wise we will still get them even if we dont get the membership this time.

As you see its hasnt worked for India all these years we have been holding things fearing we might antagonise china.when things dont work as planed,then you try to do things differently.That dsnt mean you go all guns blazing on china.But make sure to let the opposite side know there will be a reaction even with our limited capability.

True, NSG brings nothing to the table other than a badge. India can deal with individual countries on nuke tech. As our economy grows we can deal with losers like SA,Ireland,New zealand and make them pay for it. It is ironic that NSG has China which provides support to North Korea to indulge in all the shenanigans but want to keep out India.

NSG membership allows Indian companies like Walchandnagar Industries, L&T and other Indian industries to have ToT and offset agreements in the field of nuclear tech.

India will get into NSG. There is nothing to worry. All going as per the plan.

i overlooked that..... damn me!!!
turkey..... pakistans besties
south africa..... large defence partners
ireland & new zealand & austria... quiet strange they are always netural but i think they are going by the fair model [if one gets it then so does the other] there are not heavily dependant on chinese investment so there stance must be non-influencail.

Out of that list, China is actually the easiest one to appease. :lol: Just let in Pakistan as well, and we will drop our objections.

However for Austria/New Zealand/Turkey/South Africa/Ireland/etc. they want you to sign the NPT first... i.e. give up your nuclear weapons.

So good luck with that. :P

Out of that list, China is actually the easiest one to appease. :lol: Just let in Pakistan as well, and we will drop our objections.

However for Austria/New Zealand/Turkey/South Africa/Ireland/etc. they want you to sign the NPT first... i.e. give up your nuclear weapons.

So good luck with that. :P
You except us to listen to China because ?

Resistance to India joining nuclear suppliers group softens
REUTERS

A U.S.-led push for India to join a club of countries controlling access to sensitive nuclear technology made some headway on Thursday as several opponents appeared more willing to work towards a compromise, but China remained defiant.

The 48-nation Nuclear Suppliers Group aims to prevent the proliferation of nuclear weapons by restricting the sale of items that can be used to make those arms. It was set up in response to India's first nuclear test in 1974.

India already enjoys most of the benefits of membership under a 2008 exemption to NSG rules granted to support its nuclear cooperation deal with Washington, even though India has developed atomic weapons and never signed the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT), the main global arms control pact.

But China on Thursday maintained its position that the Non-Proliferation Treaty is central to the NSG, diplomats said.

The handful of other nations resisting India's admission to the group, including South Africa, New Zealand and Turkey, softened their stance somewhat, opening the door to a process under which non-NPT states such as India might join, diplomats said.

"There's movement, including towards a process, but we'd have to see what that process would look like," one diplomat said after the closed-door talks on Thursday aimed at preparing for an annual NSG plenary meeting in Seoul later this month.

Opponents argue that granting India membership would further undermine efforts to prevent proliferation. It would also infuriate India's rival Pakistan, an ally of China's, which has responded to India's membership bid with one of its own.

Pakistan joining would be unacceptable to many, given its track record. The father of its nuclear weapons programme ran an illicit network for years that sold nuclear secrets to countries including North Korea and Iran.

"By bringing India on board, it's a slap in the face of the entire non-proliferation regime," a diplomatic source from a country resisting India's bid said on condition of anonymity.

Washington has been pressuring hold-outs, and Thursday's meeting was a chance to see how strong opposition is.

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry wrote to members asking them "not to block consensus on Indian admission to the NSG" in a letter seen by Reuters and dated Friday.

Most of the hold-outs argue that if India is to be admitted, it should be under criteria that apply equally to all states rather than under a "tailor-made" solution for a U.S. ally.

Mexico's president said on Wednesday his country now backs India's membership bid. One Vienna-based diplomat said it had softened its stance but still opposed the idea of India joining under conditions that did not apply equally to all.

(Editing by Catherine Evans and Hugh Lawson)

But China on Thursday maintained its position that the Non-Proliferation Treaty is central to the NSG, diplomats said.

The handful of other nations resisting India's admission to the group, including South Africa, New Zealand and Turkey, softened their stance somewhat, opening the door to a process under which non-NPT states such as India might join, diplomats said.
So turns out the rumours are right, India is trying to isolate China, and make them the only country to veto the proposal. If this happens, India will win a major diplomatic war.

So turns out the rumours are right, India is trying to isolate China, and make them the only country to veto the proposal. If this happens, India will win a major diplomatic war.

China will oppose but will not veto. China has clearly put the ball in Pakistan's court that it should ensure that China would not be the last man standing. Hence, Pakistan has been on a frenzy and making diplomatic calls to ensure at least couple of countries would join China.

The message from US have been very clear and all countries except China will come around.

At the end of the day, China would oppose and put forward its argument and extract some concessions but it is not going to veto.

Last edited:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom