What's new

China apologises to family of doctor who died after warning about COVID-19

beijingwalker

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
China apologises to family of doctor who died after warning about COVID-19
The Communist Party sends a "solemn apology" to Dr Li's family and disciplines two police officers for their role in the incident.
Ian Collier
News reporter

Friday 20 March 2020 09:45, UK

China has exonerated a doctor who was punished for warning about COVID-19 and later died of the disease.

Dr Li Wenliang and seven colleagues were reprimanded in December for telling friends about the emerging coronavirus threat on social media.

In an unusual admission of error, the ruling Communist Party's top disciplinary body has now revoked its earlier decision - and sent a "solemn apology" to Dr Li's family.

Two police officers have been issued with "disciplinary punishments" for their role in the original incident, a report by the National Supervisory Commission said.

Investigators found that Dr Li hadn't disrupted public order with his actions - describing him as a professional who had fought bravely and made sacrifices.

His family have now received a financial contribution to his funeral, as well as workplace injury compensation.

Some posts on Weibo, a Chinese social media site, reacted angrily to the report. One wrote: "Is that it?"

Another wrote: "It's like they might as well have not said anything."

Unusually, many of the comments criticising the report remained online hours after they were published - a stark contrast to early February, when posts attacking the government's response to the coronavirus were speedily censored.

Following his death, Dr Li became the face of growing anger at the Communist Party's controls over information - with complaints that officials lie about disease outbreaks or conceal them altogether.

The 34-year-old ophthalmologist, who worked in Wuhan, had raised the alarm about the coronavirus on 30 December - urging alumni of his medical school to wear protective clothing.

Dr Li told them seven patients from a local seafood market had been diagnosed with a SARS-like illness and were quarantined in hospital.

A screenshot of the message went viral on Weibo, China's version of Twitter, and Dr Li was accused of "rumour-mongering" by Wuhan police who tried to silence him.

The doctor was told to sign a letter that accused him of "making false comments" that had "severely disturbed public order".

Local leaders in Wuhan were accused of telling doctors in December that they were not allowed to publicise the spreading virus, as it would cast a shadow over the annual meeting of a government body.

Medics were also ordered to delete social media posts that appealed for donations of supplies.

Wuhan has now had its second consecutive day with no new confirmed or suspected cases.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavi...ho-died-after-warning-about-covid-19-11960679

Trump should also apologize to Americans by calling COVID19 just a 'flu'.

This report is not very accurate, Li actually said SARS was back, which later turned out to be not true, it was an unknown virus and no one knew what it was or if it can be transmitted from human to human and how if so, and how deadly it was, everything was unknown back then.

Trump should also apologize to Americans by calling COVID19 just a 'flu'.
Trump is the "chosen one", he can't be wrong.
If something goes wrong, it can't Obama's fault, or democrats' fault, and of course, China's fault.

Coronavirus outbreak: ‘I don't take responsibility at all' Trump says on lag in COVID-19 testing

Last edited:
This report is not very accurate, Li actually said SARS was back, which later turned out to be not true, it was an unknown virus and no one knew what it was or if it can be transmitted from human to human and how if so, and how deadly it was, everything was unknown back then.

Trump is the "chosen one", he can't be wrong.
If something goes wrong, it can't Obama's fault, or democrats' fault, and of course, China's fault.

Coronavirus outbreak: ‘I don't take responsibility at all' Trump says on lag in COVID-19 testing
Li was right. He said the virus strain is a subtype of Sars. He was right that is Sars infection. It is just semantics.
It is the same family of coronavirus. Why you say his chat or report was incorrect?

The Ccp says sorry a big thing. Next step is to pay his wife and kids a compensation.

Li was right. He said the virus strain is a subtype of Sars. He was right that is Sars infection. It is just semantics.
It is the same family of coronavirus. Why you say his chat or report was incorrect?

The Ccp says sorry a big thing. Next step is to pay his wife and kids a compensation.
It's like saying all coronaviruses are the same, this Covid-19 behaves very different from unknown viruses like SARS or H1N1, it has a lower mortality rate but is much much more contagious than SARS, and unlike SARS, which attack mainly young heathy adults, this virus mainly targets older population, SARS dies with hot weather, no one knows what'll happen to Covid-19 after summer comes, Covid-19 is not SARS.

Already did, probably more will be coming. But he died from virus infection, not police reprimand.

This report is not very accurate, Li actually said SARS was back, which later turned out to be not true

Inaccurate, he said "SARS like virus" COVID-19 that originated in Wuhan :agree: is a SARS like virus.

Inaccurate, he said "SARS like virus" COVID-19 that originated in Wuhan :agree: is a SARS like virus.

17时许,他发到同学群里:华南海鲜水果市场确诊7例SARS
First he said SARS.

China should apologize and call it SARS 2.0. Also originated from China.
Trump said he is the "chosen one", did he ever admit any mistakes he made? I don't know.

17时许,他发到同学群里:华南海鲜水果市场确诊7例SARS
First he said SARS.

Trump said he is the "chosen one", did he ever admit any mistakes he made? I don't know.

TheOnefilm.jpg

What is the point of apologizing after the guy is finally free and having a tea party with his forefathers? It just ruins the mood.

The world is heading into the strongest recession in decades while China is growing. Well played.

What is the point of apologizing after the guy is finally free and having a tea party with his forefathers? It just ruins the mood.

The world is heading into the strongest recession in decades while China is growing. Well played.

Just closing the final chapter. Not much they can do about it except give financial aid to the family and an apology.

For reflection, Chinese govenment also said that the cultural revolution is big mistake, a disaster and it's totally wrong, but many in China argue it was not totally wrong, but the government stance on it till now hasn't changed.

Just closing the final chapter. Not much they can do about it except give financial aid to the family and an apology.
He is entitled to get some money compensation for being wrongly reprimanded. He died from the coronavirus infection.

据了解,24家险企将赔付1160万元. Insurance companies paid his family 11.60 million RMB, roughly 1.7 million USD.

Last edited:
For reflection, Chinese govenment also said that the cultural revolution is big mistake, a disaster and it's totally wrong, but many in China argue it was not totally wrong, but the government stance on it till now hasn't changed.
Yes, after all Non HAN races on this planet have served the purpose, Chinese government may obliterate them all and then maintain a very stable and fixed position that they were completely wrong. Very apt logic my dear friend. I wish I could also get paid by my country to make posts on this forum.

I wish too, many here seem to think I deserve it.
I hope that over time you also got raises and a special bonus each time you make a convincing post like this. I am not judging you my friend, its a perfectly good way to earn a living especially in these times of viruses going bat sh1t crazy.

Back
Top Bottom