What's new

China and India: Contest of the century

US bid to sour Sino-Indian friendship

Special Correspondent

HOLIDAY – August 20, 2010

Having its strategic alliance with India, the US naturally does not feel good with the growing business and improved ties between China and its close neighbour India. This is why the US takes it as a strategic compulsion to sour the relations between the two Asian neighbours, China and India, both big in terms of area, population and the size of economy.

According to a new US Defence Department Report, Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) was advancing across the board commensurate with China's burgeoning economic power with sights set on extending its influence deep into the Pacific and Indian oceans.
Pentagon's annual report to Congress on China's military last week said, China remains concerned about strategic ramifications of India's rising economic, political, and military power even as it quickly modernises its own military.

"To improve regional deterrence, the PLA has replaced older liquid-fuelled, nuclear capable CSS-3 intermediate-range ballistic missiles with more advanced and survivable solid-fuelled CSS-5 MRBMs and may be developing contingency plans to move airborne troops into the region," the report said.

"China is currently investing in road development along the Sino-Indian border primarily to facilitate economic development in western China," it said noting "improved roads would also support PLA border defence operations.

83-page report

The 83-page report, "Military and Security Developments Involving the People's Republic of China" noted "China has deepened its ties with India through increased trade, high-level dialogues, and an improved military-to-military relationship."

"China and India agreed to boost trade from $11.4 billion in 2007 to $40 billion in 2010, and they have held several rounds of dialogue over disputed territorial claims.

"Sino-Indian Defence ties were institutionalised in 2007 with the establishment of an Annual Defence Dialogue and by conducting three bilateral Defence exercises since 2007."

"Nonetheless, Beijing remains concerned with persistent disputes along China's shared border with India and the strategic ramifications of India's rising economic, political, and military power," the Pentagon said.

4,057 km border

"Despite increased political and economic relations over the years between China and India, tensions remain along their shared 4,057 km border, most notably over Arunachal Pradesh, which China asserts, is part of Tibet and therefore of China, and over the Askai Chin region at the western end of the Tibetan Plateau," the report said.

Suggesting both countries in 2009 stepped up efforts to assert their claims, the report recalled "China tried to block a $2.9-billion loan to India from the Asian Development Bank, claiming part of the loan would have been used for water projects in Arunachal Pradesh (India's north-eastern State bordering China)."

"This represented the first time China sought to influence this dispute (China lays claims to Arunachal Pradesh) through a multilateral institution," it said.

1,300 computers.

Turning to China's cyberwarfare capabilities, the report noted "In March 2009, Canadian researchers uncovered an electronic spy network, apparently based mainly in China, which had reportedly infiltrated Indian and other nations' government offices around the world. More than 1,300 computers in 103 countries were identified."
Listing numerous areas in which China's military is on the march, the report said China is developing and fielding large numbers of advanced medium-range ballistic and cruise missiles and deploying a new class of nuclear-powered submarines equipped with intercontinental ballistic missiles.

It is also pouring money into "increasingly capable long-range air defence systems, electronic warfare and computer network attack capabilities, advanced fighter aircraft, and counter-space systems."

Most active missiles

China has "the most active land-based ballistic and cruise missile programme in the world," the report said. Beijing "now possesses one of the largest" forces of surface-to-air missiles in the world, it added. And it has the "largest force of principal combatants, submarines, and amphibious warfare ships in Asia."

Chinese, Indian soldiers celebrate

Continuing the existing bonhomie between India and China a special Border Personnel Meeting (BPM) was held on Aug 15 at the historic Maitri Sthal located at an altitude of approximately 15,000 ft near the strategic Bum La Pass in Tawang District of Arunachal Pradsesh.
The event was hosted by Indian Army troops deployed on the Indo-China border. Besides Indian and PLA soldiers, their family members and the local populace from both sides of the border.
A large contingent of the Chinese Army personnel along with their families came over to the Indian side of the border to be part of the Indian Independence Day celebrations. Brig. Sudhakar Jee of the Indian Army received the Chinese delegation led by Col. Tan Guang Rong at the Maitri Sthal.

A large number of civilian visitors from both sides also participated in the festivities marked by unfurling of the flags of the two countries. An enthralling cultural programme and a treat of Indian delicacies were other highlights of the programme.

Despite the language barrier, participants from both sides interacted with each other in a free and cordial environment. Members of the delegations and local participants joined together to pay homage to the victims of recent floods and land slides on both sides of the border.

The delegations parted amidst feelings of friendship and commitment towards enhancing the already existing cordial relations between India and China.

HOLIDAY > FRONT PAGE

We can disagree and argue, but we ought to refrain from the use of abusive language.
Regardomg the article, it is long on conjecture and short on facts. China-India rivalry has been the theme running through the Western media for some years now. It is obvious that they are trying hard to fan the flames of distrust and create tension between China and India for their own benefit. As far as I can tell, China is not going to fall into that trap. What about the Indian? I don't know enough to hazard a guess. Let our Indian members make the appropriate comments.

as per reports the government is to spend a trillion dollars for infrastructure development in the 12th 5 yr plan period 2012-2016. For the 11th 5 yr plan(2007-2011) the total expenditure is estimated to be 550 billion dollars. The development in the infrastrucure front is quite visible even in some backward regions in Assam but the pace is slow. Sometimes I wonder if India will choke itself before it reaches developed country status. The task before us is mammoth .Unless some drastic measures are implemented and good policy decisions taken the day is not far when the population dividend we are enjoying now turns into a two headed monster tomorrow.

We can disagree and argue, but we ought to refrain from the use of abusive language.
Regardomg the article, it is long on conjecture and short on facts. China-India rivalry has been the theme running through the Western media for some years now. It is obvious that they are trying hard to fan the flames of distrust and create tension between China and India for their own benefit. As far as I can tell, China is not going to fall into that trap. What about the Indian? I don't know enough to hazard a guess. Let our Indian members make the appropriate comments.

It's a generation thing. I had a little bit of prejudice against the Chinese until a few years ago, a fallout of the '62 war- you know, "Poor Nehru was backstabbed in '62" and all that....but then I went to China several times while I was in the Navy, and also lived in Vancouver for a few years where I made a lot of Chinese friends. My attitude has changed completely.

The present generation does not really care about history too much, they care more about ground realities. As long there is trade, tourism and people-to people contact, we will be fine.

We really need to solve that border dispute, though. It is an unnecessary sore that needs to be healed- it will give the divisive forces leverage.

It's a generation thing. I had a little bit of prejudice against the Chinese until a few years ago, a fallout of the '62 war- you know, "Poor Nehru was backstabbed in '62" and all that....but then I went to China several times while I was in the Navy, and also lived in Vancouver for a few years where I made a lot of Chinese friends. My attitude has changed completely.

I am very happy to hear that. :cheers:

The bottom line is that China and India make up 40% of the world's population, and are the two fastest growing economies in the world.

It is essential that we learn to cooperate with each other. The future very much depends on this.

India is nowhere close to China ..and IMHO we will not be close for some time to come (read many many many years). Why ?

Sheer lack of will power , lack of vision and lack of mandate displayed by politicians to carry out developmental activities across country. Call it the boon or bane of democracy -- The rapid growth and most important the quick decisions that are taken by Chinese government (for better or worse) can never be matched by the respective Indian governments.

In India everybody has their own agenda to progress and unfortunately in the scheme of things 'Nation' often is relegated to the last spot -- case in point -- Look whats happening in CWG and what happened in Beijing Olympics (much bigger and more complex).

Last edited:
That sums the whole thing up.

The only one interested in a China-India war is the USA.

They want to use India to contain the rise of China... and they want to use China to contain the rise of India.

Luckily we are both smarter than that. :lol:

This pretty much sums it up.

As nations we stand more to gain from the world by appearing to be hostile than by actually being hostile. For centuries we have been on the receiving end of western machinations now its time we realised our potential when we present ourselves jointly.

On the subject of the thread, there is no contest at all between Indian & China. Nor can there be. China is way ahead India needs to emulate not catch up - the rest will follow.Both nations have their own way of governance which dictates their methods of functioning.

The west & the media cannot seem to stop seeing things as one Vs another. Maybe coz one with another doesnt suit them ?

if politically you are very stable why could nt you get rid of corruption? and how can your fundamentals very strong while you have so much corruption in yr country?

Now that you have dragged corruption into the fray i would like to remind you that both India and china are close to each other in the corruption perception index.
china: 79th spot
india: 84th spot
So that you say india has failed to get rid of corruption due to lack of political stability, would you like to say the same about china:toast_sign:?

I see some countries whose domestic economies are not good become victims of arms race. They think only buying state of the art hardwares would make them powerful.

I tell you a story of a guy whose rich neighbor bought an expensive branded car. The guy out of jealousy decided to buy the same car. He just used his credit card and bought the car to maintain status symbol. But ultimately, the guy became bankrupt because he could neither pay the credit nor could he maintain the costs of maintenance.

India is going to be such victim.

I see some countries whose domestic economies are not good become victims of arms race. They think only buying state of the art hardwares would make them powerful.

I tell you a story of a guy whose rich neighbor bought an expensive branded car. The guy out of jealousy decided to buy the same car. He just used his credit card and bought the car to maintain status symbol. But ultimately, the guy became bankrupt because he could neither pay the credit nor could he maintain the costs of maintenance.

Thanks for the caution but allow India the same level of intellect you give your own nation or those who run it.

Saving money comes naturally to us. We have and we can - that's why we spend.

Does India and China as well as their people really care about each other?
Only one thing is confirm,the Sino-Indo border.
In Chinese there is a sentence:"Show your pity to get small advantages! "
India got very well advantages in that conflict nearly 50 years ago.
See Google Map and compare Aksaichin with Arunachal,not size but colour.
India should keep in mind that China keep in their mind to get some benefits.So these two big nation had (and should) always attempt to keep advantageous position each other.

So far its not,our defence expenditure is 2.5% of our GDP.
Also our spending on infrastructure no way close to what China's(of course,my Govt isn't that wealthy as of now)

As of now India is an infant and China a teenager in development terms,so even this decade we will concentrate on our economy,(parallely with some improvements in HDI,infrastructure.)
Any significant and substantial changes on India image will be visible by early 2025.

the case u discussed is actually between india and paksitan not india and china. we are also growing at a very fast rate next to you only. we have a very high saving rate around 35%. we only spending 2.3% of gdp on our defence which is 32 bn dollar. there are so many countries which are spending higher than us.

Now that you have dragged corruption into the fray i would like to remind you that both India and china are close to each other in the corruption perception index.
china: 79th spot
india: 84th spot
So that you say india has failed to get rid of corruption due to lack of political stability, would you like to say the same about china:toast_sign:?

Atleast we try to do something about it , many officials caught with corruption been executed or put to jail

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom