What's new

Chill Bangladesh Thread

CONGRATS to THE TIGERS !!!

Taskin's bowling takes lead in beating South Africa by 9 wickets in their home turf...

BCB will be rewarding the team players with 3 crore in cash bonus

Atahar Ali bhai pins hope on winning World Cup one day...

Last edited:
Calculus lesson from Prof. Bari

And an intro lecture on the Maxwell Equation

Got a weird question

This guy was one of my parent's favorite. My dad (who is a musician, among other things) always sang his songs in functions/events.

I notice he use the word Bangladesh in this song. But I thought this song predates Bangladesh, which leaves me confused?

I never liked any form of Desi music, but as i matured, there is something magistic about the Bangla language i gotta say. Can't say i like any other music from the sub continent !

Got a weird question

This guy was one of my parent's favorite. My dad (who is a musician, among other things) always sang his songs in functions/events.

I notice he use the word Bangladesh in this song. But I thought this song predates Bangladesh, which leaves me confused?

I never liked any form of Desi music, but as i matured, there is something magistic about the Bangla language i gotta say. Can't say i like any other music from the sub continent !

The term 'Bangladesh' is very old. It used to be a synonym for Bengal in the likes of Bongo or Bangla, albeit less commonly used.

Bangladesh is a modern concept, and I am not talking about the nation-state with capital at Dhaka. It has a bit of history, and that history is tightly coupled with the languages and dialects that we use.

Tell me if you'd like to know more.

Last edited:
Got a weird question

Bangladesh (like others have said) is an old term, meaning "country for Bengalis".

The term predates the creation and formal naming of our country.

The term came first hundreds of years ago, our country was named after the term much later (1971/2).

Today I met a Bangladeshi in my city who came to Pakistan for Tableegh (preaching of Islam)
He learned Urdu in Saudi Arabia and travelled to Pakistan and will stay here for 40 days.
His education is probably intermediate.
When I asked him to visit Islamabad also to see natural beauty of Pakistan,he said he will come later for one year stay and then he will visit tourism spots.

When he started preaching of Islam to me,I asked him there are 160 million Muslims in Bangladesh and not everyone of them is namazi ( says prayers five times a day), so why not first make at least half of them namazi first and then travel to other places for preaching,he had no answer but his Pushtoon fellow from KPK (Pakistan) who had some experience in this field somewhat discussed this.

I offered both of them to have cup of tea in nearby tea stall with me (as this was his first visit to Pakistan) but they said First come to our markaz (mosque name most probably),then they will take tea with me.😁
(They had to offer Maghreb prayer actually).

Today I met a Bangladeshi in my city who came to Pakistan for Tableegh (preaching of Islam)
He learned Urdu in Saudi Arabia and travelled to Pakistan and will stay here for 40 days.
His education is probably intermediate.
When I asked him to visit Islamabad also to see natural beauty of Pakistan,he said he will come later for one year stay and then he will visit tourism spots.

When he started preaching of Islam to me,I asked him there are 160 million Muslims in Bangladesh and not everyone of them is namazi ( says prayers five times a day), so why not first make at least half of them namazi first and then travel to other places for preaching,he had no answer but his Pushtoon fellow from KPK (Pakistan) who had some experience in this field somewhat discussed this.

I offered both of them to have cup of tea in nearby tea stall with me (as this was his first visit to Pakistan) but they said First come to our markaz (mosque name most probably),then they will take tea with me.😁
(They had to offer Maghreb prayer actually).
Tableeghis are quite active in Bangladesh too.

Good cooks & tasty foods

Last edited:
Bangladesh men basketball team will participate in pre-qualifying round for FIBA Asia Cup Qualifiers 2025.

@Sainthood 101 Where is Pakistani team...?

Learning to Love Dhaka​

Debra Efroymson

Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:00 AM Last update on: Tue Mar 29, 2022 04:08 PM

Amid all the chaos and confusions we experience in Dhaka these days, the city still hasn't lost its charm.

love-dhaka.jpg

Illustration: Morshed Mishu

The other day, a Dutch friend of mine and I were having lunch when I mentioned how chaotic I'd heard the Dhaka airport was now. "Frankly," she said, "I never notice the airport. I'm always so sad to be leaving the country." We continued chatting over our lunch, but my mind lingered on what she'd said.

This is a friend who has visited Bangladesh for work a few times over the last several years, staying for a few months at a time. She moves around Dhaka by bus, laguna, rickshaw and boat. She has spent the night in a bosti and fails to understand why others are surprised at that. She finds the simplest hole-in-the-wall places to eat and appreciates the quality of their daal. She suffers, of course, from the traffic and the heat, but the other impressions—the vibrant colors, the flavors of the food, the friendliness of the locals, the lush beauty of the countryside—all seem to make a greater impact.

We recently attended a wedding together. She had hoped to go to a beauty salon so that experts would wrap her saree for her, but the salon in question was closed. She then found an instructional video on YouTube and spent the next 45 minutes cursing the slippery georgette saree and the saree instructor, particularly when the instructor cheerfully commented that fixing the pleats was easy.

Of course, as a six-foot tall blonde woman wearing a beautiful saree, most people were not concerned about whether she had gotten the pleats right. At the venue, she greatly enjoyed the biriyani and borhani as well as conversations with bright young locals.

I watch her in admiration, but also can't help reflecting on how it can be easier for a foreigner to love this city than for the locals. I just finished Orhan Pamuk's "Istanbul," where he writes about how the locals simultaneously wish to become more Western/modernized and long for something that makes them uniquely Turkish, and how the prevailing dirt and poverty depress people.

Something similar seems to operate here, where people are too busy feeling embarrassed about the traffic, the dust, the filthy air and the chaos even to notice the many charms that Dhaka has to offer. For so many people, modern means Western. Out with the rickshaw, in with the private car. Ban the street vendors and promote supermarkets. But the final achievement will never be a faithful copy of a Western city, but in the attempts to achieve it, much that is valuable will get destroyed.

On our way to the restaurant where we had lunch, we had to take several detours due to the overflow of worshippers at Friday services. We ended up leaving our rickshaw and having to walk farther than if we had just done the whole trip on foot. Then again, we got to wander down unknown lanes and alleys and enjoy asking people for directions. We savored their visible pleasure at directing two bideshi.

The sun didn't reach the back streets; it was midday on Friday, so traffic was still light. So both being pedaled on the rickshaw and wandering the lanes on foot was actually pleasant. I commented on how hard it was to agree with the common assessment that Dhaka is one of the world's least livable cities.

"I guess it depends which part of Dhaka," my friend suggested.

Partly that, yes, but it also depends on our perspective. Are we dreaming of another place and constantly holding Dhaka up in comparison and cataloguing its shortcomings? Or are we actually paying attention to what makes the city pleasant and distinctive—its own place rather than another imitation of a tired model that brings its own costs and downsides?

Strolling at a lake, riding on quiet streets on a rickshaw, watching small groups gather at a tea stall, enjoying savory street food, hearing the excited shouts of children playing outside—all those moments bring home to me how lovable Dhaka—and Bangladesh—can be.

But sometimes it takes an outsider to remind us.

Debra Efroymson is the executive director of the Institute of Wellbeing, Bangladesh, and author of "Beyond Apologies: Defining and Achieving an Economics of Wellbeing."

View attachment 830833

But applying this logic to 1971 and Bengali genocide is haram... literally doesn't compute for them.

Posted about this in that thread only to have it deleted xD

Morally burdened until it comes to holding themselves accountable :crazy:o_O

@BlindEagle @Destranator @F-6 enthusiast @Joe Shearer @Atlas
There is no point in breaking our heads on this issue. There are some younger people who totally deny that anything untoward happened at all. Their narrative is more or less that India put aside all its other problems and development issues for twenty-five years, and devoted all her attention on the breaking of Pakistan by the foulest and most dirty methods available. That these relentless efforts ended with the winning over of some weak-minded and treacherous Bengalis, who then became willing cats-paws for the Indians. Religion comes into it; it is an outrage to these keyboard kiddies that one segment of a nation could actually dare to think of anything less than robot-like allegiance to another segment, in spite of the ties of a common religion. The third lemma is that the constant fomenting of evil conspiracies finally resulted in a massacre of Biharis and those from outside the Bengali areas. Finally, the embattled, peace-loving security forces were faced with no option, no alternative but to resist manfully, cut off from their bases, surrounded by a mere handful of hostile people who had brow-beaten the loyal masses and who then led the Indian Army right into the country.

They sincerely believe this. Nothing else is real. They get very angry when the talk goes around elsewhere, to an acknowledgement of the truth. To them it is perverted that those who committed the crimes should now be seeking kind words, or healing words. What pernicious rubbish!

I will never discuss this issue.

Back
Top Bottom