What's new

Chill Bangladesh Thread

The driving force of your livelihood

Adaline Zaman

last01.jpg
They wake up just as the sun is about to peek over the horizon. They hastily ready themselves for the day, tend to the dependents, and place something consumable atop the stove to temporarily satisfy the hollow bellies of the household. Dressed for a day of honest work, and preparing dependents to be sent off to their destinations for the day, the typical working day commences for local workers. Off they go to carry out their duties as a garment’s workers, chauffeur, housekeeper, cook, etc. Hopefully I have succeeded in painting you a picture of what closely resembles the morning of a local labourer.
Of course it is important for everyone across the globe to recognize the struggles of the marginalized communities in the developing world, however this level of awareness is more vital for those who are employing the millions of labourers from very humble backgrounds. Why? Because it is this class of individuals who are the driving force of the national economy, as well as your own livelihood. The ‘you’ who I am referring to includes those living in Bangladesh who can afford fairly comfortable lifestyles due to their privileged positions in society as garment factory owners, entrepreneurs of thriving multi-million dollar businesses, and individuals in high ranking corporate positions.

Taking more than giving
The array of income generating activities available for the marginalized, and impoverished communities is largely thanks to the middle-upper and upper classes. They are granting the underprivileged access to employment prospects available in different aspects of their lives. Forget the tedious and burdensome responsibilities that we task them with, and instead reflect on the most vulnerable or significant moments in your and your family’s lives.
last02.jpg
Who has been there to tend to the safety of your child, making sure that he or she is always picked up and dropped off to and from school on time? Who has always provided comfort through care and nourishment during times of sickness, or emotional or physical incapacitation? Who can you rely on to be by your side to tend to your every need no matter the time of day or night? Many of the most vulnerable members of our families—the disabled, older generations, infants—are a hundred percent dependent on hired help to pick up the responsibilities that many of us are often unable to fulfill due to life’s other obligations. At the end of the day, we have the luxury to rest assured, knowing that our loved ones are cared for by dedicated employees, who also happen to be members of the poor and marginalized communities.

Acknowledging dues lack
Sadly a lack of acknowledgment and humility is ever prevalent, especially amongst the middle-upper to upper classes, through colorful FB statuses, passing conversations, snapchats, Instagram posts, etc. My number one question to those who endlessly dwell on the negativities of this country is, ‘if life in Bangladesh is as bad as you portray it to be, why are you living here?’ Of course, I have never uttered this in so many words, but I wish I had. It is infuriating that so many privileged people are reaping the benefits of having businesses in Bangladesh or holding positions in large banks and other organizations that, had they not settled in this country, they most likely would never able been able to attain.
Reflection is key to restoring one’s humility, in my opinion. Sure, I too am occasionally guilty of muttering my disdain for the rich culture of chaos, however in the instance, I pick up on these tones of judgement and quickly regroup my thoughts and sentiments, focusing instead on the greater virtues of life in the country of smiles. My reference is to the endless smiles that can be seen occupying the faces of the millions of people across Bangladesh. Who are these effortlessly happy populations? Remarkably, they are members of the marginalized, and rural populations. They are the people who work as hired help, as street vendors, as small store owners, etc. They and their families rely on these wages to meet their most basic needs, which often go unmet.

Introspection called for
What irks me the most are the entitled members of society who, after travelling across the world, scowl as soon as they touch down, like Bangladesh the most place one could ever find themselves. Not only is their income almost entirely sourced from Bangladesh, but their finances are being bankrolled largely by the hard labour of Bangladeshi locals. It is ridiculous that as these people are solely able to maintain their lifestyles because of the economic opportunities they are fortunate enough because they are based in Bangladesh. They almost certainly would never have been able to maintain the same lifestyle, had they chosen to settle elsewhere. Unfortunately, this magnitude of ignorance devalues Bangladesh, and forces viewers of distasteful social media posts about the state of Bangladesh, to narrow their perception to a similarly grim outlook of the nation.
Hopefully I have managed to catalyze some self-reflection into the minds of those who are guilty of devaluing Bangladesh and the riches that this nation has bestowed them with. Remember, every dollar has a back story—yours and the collection of individuals’ who together create a web of opportunities, inadvertently carving the shape of your fate.

Adaline Zaman lives in Toronto

Dhaka Uni cow ban korse ei tyread tar first page e jan. Tailei bujhben.
apne bolen! kharap kisu bolsi?

khaled bluesky do hafta ek month er laiga ban khailo ar loolgerer laiga ek hafta? theek hoilo na :tsk: :tsk: :tsk:
ki korar... ei forum e ekhon pakistanider pasa chumate hoi ar naile ban!

Oi hala koydin por por ban khay ar fira aisha ek e kam shuru kore. Chinta nai. Abar ban khaibo. ER onek post delete hoise gelo koydin e. Beshi chilla falla na koira chup chap post report kore dile beshi kaz hoy.
loolgiri kere bbhai?

People. I need help from you. Ami Norway thaki, grown up here. Lately i wish to move back to beloved BD. Hopefully it will happen within 5 years. I consider myself norwegian-bengali and i want to help rural people from village where i was born. Thus i am planning development project for helping villagers.

Norway is a big foreign aid donor and i want to apply for funds from Norad, the goverment agency responsible for choosing foreign aid recipents. So the thing is; Norad usually gives funding if there is a local partner in BD with good record and reputation, and also can show results. I am considering a project where locals can do fish farming or something like that in order to create jobs for villagers. Or maybe some kind of environmental project, to clean up garbage and stuff.

Is there in local partners in BD that i can contact or choose to enter partnership with? If we get funding, it may be as much as 10 million USD over 4-5 years.

Any opinions or advice?
contact brac and grameen bank for help... islami bank bangladesh can also help.

tora shobai amar bhai... amar kotha mone rekechis... dheke mon onek khusi holo! :)

dhakaia vasha o otbhut lage!

he amar mathai ekta idea ashlo..... amra ekta bangladeshi defence website khuli na keno? pdf er vailiditir deen shesh... ekhon khali propaganda baaz ra nijeder sharte ei site babohar kore!

apne bolen! kharap kisu bolsi?
Na, ja bolso ta sotto kotha chilo. phoram er title wala oy lok report na korle hoyto ban korto na.

he amar mathai ekta idea ashlo..... amra ekta bangladeshi defence website khuli na keno? pdf er vailiditir deen shesh... ekhon khali propaganda baaz ra nijeder sharte ei site babohar kore!
I was thinking along the line for long time now. kintu forum kholar theke oita maintain kora ar active member jutano beshi kosto. Jodio ei forum er bd member ra jog dilei enough hobe amar bishwas. Ami ekbar kotha tusilam, keo redponse kore na, tsi apatoto waiting list e rakhsi.

Last edited:
I thinking along the line for long time now. kintu forum kholar theke oita maintain kora ar active member jutano beshi kosto. Jodio ei forum er bd member ra jog dilei enough hobe amar bishwas. Ami ekbar kotha tusilam, keo redponse kore na, tsi apatoto waiting list e rakhsi.

Onek onek defence forum khola hoise. Jome nai. taka khor bdmilitary chara. Domain kine valo design kore site dite parle ekhon oboshho jomano jabe. shei khetre fb theke koyek group er admin der help nite hobe member ante.

Kitara pogor dol, amrar kota bhujoin na kana? Boro bhaira ja baba amrar netarar khobish bashai gail dei, aprana kunta koin na kana?

Last edited:
Na, ja bolso ta sotto kotha chilo. phoram er title wala oy lok report na korle hoyto ban korto na.

I was thinking along the line for long time now. kintu forum kholar theke oita maintain kora ar active member jutano beshi kosto. Jodio ei forum er bd member ra jog dilei enough hobe amar bishwas. Ami ekbar kotha tusilam, keo redponse kore na, tsi apatoto waiting list e rakhsi.
Hopefully this becomes a reality. Would like to contribute however I can.

the weather across all of Bangladesh for the last week has been down right disgusting.

Non-stop rain, thunderstorms, massive gusts of winds.

'Boishakh' is well and truly here.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom