What's new

Chill Bangladesh Thread

Oldie but a Goodie - from Shayan, what a talent and treasure she was and still is....

Here she's talking about both Khaleda and Hasina - interesting

Here are the lyrics,
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am Bangladesh"
Words, melodies and voices: Shayan

What did your father do, what did your husband do?
I don't know the story any less than you

I know I have as many achievements as you have
I don't open my mouth on purpose, I accept all that

How long will you eat after using husband and father's name?
Now let them sleep, their soul will finally find peace
I pay my respects to them
The dust that has not been in my eyes for a long time

The days of breaking jackfruit on my head (defrauding me) are over
The name is my people, I am Bangladesh

What is the name of the tree? As a result, identity
Kings lie only in words
Roy is only alive in his own song
All the gods and angels, what is wrong with them?

If you break by condemning the other, only the throat
Your hundred tricks before the election
Sometimes peace-loving, sometimes protests
In fact, I know everything is greed for the throne

Looking at me, you think I'm stupid-stupid-straight
In time you will know exactly who the king is

Forget that big buddy of yours
What was in your manifesto?
If I see the fingers of the hand, forget their work
Banana trees are blooming day by day

Although your glasses are colored
Ten days maybe for thieves but one day is for home-owner
I am happy to keep it, I keep it in my head
I call you to sit on the soft soft throne

I will change my mind if I feel you cheating
Wrapping things with gold will not matter then ..
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well the translation is a cluster, but I guess it lost quite a bit in the translation to English.

For Bengali speakers, here is the Bengali version which rhymes really well.

“আমিই বাংলাদেশ”
কথা, সুর ও কন্ঠঃ সায়ান

কি করেছে তোমার বাবা, কি করেছে স্বামী
গল্প সেসব তোমার চেয়ে কম জানিনা আমি
তোমার যত কীর্তিকলাপ সেও তো আছে জানা
ইচ্ছে করেই মুখ খুলি না, বলতে ওসব মানা

স্বামী বাবার নাম ভাঙিয়ে আর কতকাল খাবে
এবার ওদের ঘুমোতে দাও, আত্মা শান্তি পাবে
তাঁদের প্রতি আমার সকল শ্রদ্ধা রেখে বলি
খুব বেশী দিন আমার চোখে যায় না দেয়া ধূলি

আমার মাথায় কাঁঠাল ভেঙে খাওয়ার দিন তো শেষ
নাম আমার জনগণ, আমি’ই বাংলাদেশ

বৃক্ষের নাম দিয়ে কি? ফলেই পরিচয়
রাজারা মিছেই কেবল কথার খৈ ফোটায়
কেবলই নিজের গীতে বিভোর হয়ে রয়
দেবতা ফেরেশতা সব, ভুল কি তাদের হয়?

অপরের নিন্দা করেই ভাঙলে কেবল গলা
নির্বাচনের আগে তোমার শতেক ছলাকলা
কখনো শান্তি-প্রীতি, কখনো বিক্ষোভ
আসলে তো জানি সবই সিংহাসনের লোভ

আমায় দেখে ভাবছো বুঝি বুদ্ধু-বোকা-সোজা
সময়ে টের পাবে ঠিক আসলে কে রাজা

তোমার ওই মনটা বড় বড্ড বেশী ভুলো
তোমার ওই ইশ্তেহারে কি কি যেন ছিলো
যদি দেখি হাতের আঙুল, ভুলে তাদের কাজ
দিনে দিনে ফুলে ফেঁপে হচ্ছে কলাগাছ

যদিও তোমার চোখের চশমাটা রঙীন
চোরেদের দশদিন আর গেরস্থের একদিন
আমাকে রাখলে খুশি, মাথায় তুলে রাখি
নরম নরম গদির'পরে বসতে তোমায় ডাকি

ধাপ্পাবাজি টের পেলে ঠিক পাল্টে দেবো মন
সোনা দিয়ে মুড়োলে লাভ হবে না তখন।।

Last edited:
PhD Viva finally defended!

Ki je bhaal lagtese bhai!

I shall try to refrain from over celebration, as encouraged by our great prophet

Allhamdullilah!
congrats Dr Pandalum ! wish you success in all stages of life.

off topic but here is some cool artwork
''When tigers smoked pipes''
1639165004570.png

1639165063051.png

1639165074577.png

1639165085726.png

Mashallah Congrats! Virtual Mishti khan bhai. :-)

iu
By strictly adhering to a policy of avoiding BD sweets for the last two years, I have reduced my diabetes to a great extent. There was a time when I would keep on eating 1kg misti in one seating. Now, I do not eat Deshi sweets available in the Halal food shops. I lost 3-4 kg weight and I am less fatigued.

It is better not to eat our sugary sweets regularly. Once a person has diabetes it is difficult to bring his/ her health back. People say sugar may not be responsible for this disease.

But sugar makes one fat because it is full of energy. And once fats accumulate, there is an even chance that the person would show symptoms of diabetes. His/ her pancreas stops producing enough amount of insulin to burn the excess body energy/ fat.

It seems you are fond of delicious foods including our Deshi sweetmeats. Because you regularly send this kind of pictures.

I have become a diabetes expert (almost) because I have been suffering from it for a long time. Once you have this disease, it will call out some other diseases to attack your body.

By strictly adhering to a policy of avoiding BD sweets for the last two years, I have reduced my diabetes to a great extent. There was a time when I would keep on eating 1kg misti in one seating. Now, I do not eat Deshi sweets available in the Halal food shops. I lost 3-4 kg weight and I am less fatigued.

It is better not to eat our sugary sweets regularly. Once a person has diabetes it is difficult to bring his/ her health back. People say sugar may not be responsible for this disease.

But sugar makes one fat because it is full of energy. And once fats accumulate, there is an even chance that the person would show symptoms of diabetes. His/ her pancreas stops producing enough amount of insulin to burn the excess body energy/ fat.

It seems you are fond of delicious foods including our Deshi sweetmeats. Because you regularly send this kind of pictures.

I have become a diabetes expert (almost) because I have been suffering from it for a long time. Once you have this disease, it will call out some other diseases to attack your body.

Na Bhai, I am not a diabetes patient or a sweet-toother just because I send mithai pictures. :-)

But - for older folks with less metabolism, yes they should avoid sugary snacks of any kind, especially deshi sweets. Having 1 KG of deshi sweets at one sitting - one would be tempting fate. :-)

I'd also say with discipline and monitoring sugar levels in blood, regular exercise and taking natural anti-diabetic fruits/vegetables, one can also reverse diabetes and get off of diabetic medication. I have know older family people who have done this.

Diabetes can also increase hypertension and make one a bit irritable.

I forget what type of fruit/vegetables though. Maybe UKBengali bhai knows.

Do you drink lemon water in morning? My dad does. He believes it helps him keep his diabetes in check.

I'd also say with discipline and monitoring sugar levels in blood, regular exercise and taking natural anti-diabetic fruits/vegetables, one can also reverse diabetes and get off of diabetic medication. I have know older family people who have done this.
I usually eat all kinds of fruits available in the markets here. But, usually, I avoid bananas. Fruits are certainly sweet but not that sweet to raise the level of diabetes.

Most fruits have fibers that stop the sudden rise of blood sugar levels. It means it spreads the sugar over a longer period after eating. However, when I am talking about diabetes, only yesterday I bought some sweet biscuits/ confectionaries after many months and ate them. I had an off day yesterday.

I usually eat all kinds of fruits available in the markets here. But, usually, I avoid bananas. Fruits are certainly sweet but not that sweet to raise the level of diabetes.

Most fruits have fibers that stop the sudden rise of blood sugar levels. It means it spreads the sugar over a longer period after eating. However, when I am talking about diabetes, only yesterday I bought some sweet biscuits/ confectionaries after many months and ate them. I had an off day yesterday.

Fruit sugar (Fructose) and refined white sugar (Sucrose) from sugarcane are not the same type of sugars.

For one thing Fructose absorption in blood is much more gradual than say Sucrose. Bananas contain a lot more fructose than other fruit. Rate of sugar absorption in blood is critical factor. Too much sugar at one time causes insulin production issues (body overwhelmed) - which can affect rate of sugar conversion into energy.

Corn sweetener (used in Coca Cola in US) is the worst sugar as far as causing insulin disorder (Diabetes). In other countries, they use sugarcane sugar to make Coca Cola, but corn sweetener is cheap and widely available in the US.

In any case, having a few pieces of fruit once in a while (except grapes and bananas) are not going to cause sugar levels to spike in the blood.

Cookies and biscuits at one sitting (half hour period) should be limited to say, six. 8-)

Equaling no more than say, 200 calories.

That is my deal.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom