What's new

Chill Bangladesh Thread

Well, the notion of such mutual exclusivity is prevalent among many from both Epar-Opar Bangla. But we can't ignore or refrain from examining the "background" or "personal story" of the preacher of such belief. In Bangladesh to put it straight, this notion was drilled into peoples mind by a certain quarter of mullahs. While in WB the backers of this notion is mainly refugees from east, people who suffered the worse of desh-bhag (though neither of the group can claim the originality of the idea.) In recent days BJP bigots are using this idea (or the people) to gain foothold in WB.

Right on the nail.

Indeed, we represent our country on here and the way some of us behave with our own countrymen is deplorable and does not show the country in good light.

Why not take a pledge not to wash dirty linen in public? Why should one citizen criticise another in this kind of forum? Pardon my intervention; I say this as a sincere friend.

Right on the nail.

Why not take a pledge not to wash dirty linen in public? Why should one citizen criticise another in this kind of forum? Pardon my intervention; I say this as a sincere friend.

Bhai, I appreciate your concern and I take the advice with an open heart and an open mind, but as I said in our earlier conversation some people don't want to get along.

The user in question isn't a 'citizen', not anymore anyway.

They just bicker, mock and abuse others who don't see everything from their perspective; a monochrome perspective.

Said individual is more concerned with whose mother copulated with how many random men and how many half brothers I may have.

You can't always get along with everyone, it's just how it's meant to be, life is full of unsavoury characters and experiences, the French put it aptly when they say - c'est la vie.

You can't always get along with everyone, it's just how it's meant to be, life is full of unsavoury characters and experiences, the French put it aptly when they say - c'est la vie.

That's cheating, and you are spying on me. I just used that phrase in a private conversation. :o:

You have met some very peculiar people,
Right, I have interacted with WB folks all the way from middle school to my professional life, overall the interactions have been very positive, I meant to say some seem to believe Islam does not belong in Bengali culture definitely not the majority, and I do not expect you or anyone to apologize for bigots, we have enough Bigots in Bd who irrationally hates all the non-muslims.

You may have either met the continuingly wounded refugee,

Some of my distant relatives are in Kolkata and live in one of the Muslim majority neighborhoods, most of the animosities I felt were from the auto or taxi drivers, esp when I was trying to hail a ride to visit them, maybe because the neighborhood i was trying to visit was less developed or a ghetto, one of the drivers shared a random Islamophobic story, on how he was stuck in a situation where he was the only "Bengali" with '20 Muslims' (meaning Bangladeshis) in an airport and some xyz Islamophobic rant. He told me others were not Bengali as they were Muslims. I did not pay enough attention, what stuck me was couple of years later when I introduced myself to a fellow student in US, and he was shocked by my last name, and was confused how can I be a muslim and Bengali at the same time. This guy is born and raised in US, I do not believe his confusion was coming from hate but from ignorance. I do not know about his family background, but i find it a little strange that his parents somehow made him believe muslims are not Bengalis.

Last edited:
Bengali culture is more closely related to agnosticism than anything other specific religion, anybody who disagrees is trying to one up other Bengalis.

While other cultures are having identity crises of all sorts ranging from 'are we arabs' ? 'what are Indian Muslims, I'm Indian first', 'F america; BLM', 'are we Slavs or pure bred Europeans?'....

Our people are busy nitpicking amongst themselves, we are truly a bunch of delusional ingrates.

We are blessed with a beautiful language that has a rich history laced in tales of conflict, strife and suffering from which tales of the bravery of our fore fathers shine through. A language inseparable from our culture, a culture revolving around our language.

We are blessed with a colourful culture, that is one of the most, if not the most renowned in South Asia, ask anybody who knows a thing or two about history and they will all know what Bengal is and how Bengalis are supposed to be.

Our kingdoms stood tall even after the repeated attempts by foreigner mongrels of all skin shades under the sun but they couldn't bring us down.

What it took for them to subdue us, was for one of us to defect to them. For one of us to put personal gains over their loyalty to our Bangla Ma.

Our culture is so deeply and irrevocably ingrained in us, that we laid down own lives to preserve our simple Bengali way of life.

Our people have a history of leading the struggle from the front, be it the mughal periods, be it 1905, be it 1947, be it 1952, be 1965, be it 1971...

Our faith in our culture is so strong, some foreigners mistake it for a 'superiority complex'.

Even with all these blessings that bind us together, a few of us from both sides of the Bengali spectrum are not happy with the way things are.

Why are we this way ? Why do we have to be like the others ?

Why can't we be Bengali before all else and Bengali all the way through, is being Bengali not enough ?

Is speaking Bangla, eating like Bengali, living like Bengali, being born in the blessed arms of a Bengali mother not enough affirmation of our Bengali-ness ?

Why are we trying to pick bones, when none exist ?

Indeed, those who seek to demarcate a fine like between the two Bengals and claim ownership over the Bengali culture all for themselves are misguided.

Such people must be shown the ill in their ways, but it must be shown in a loving and caring manner. Foul language, rarely serves little purpose other than to send people even farther away.

But what I see on the ground isn't promising, we are doing ourselves no favours, both sides are to blame.

Just open any YouTube comments section or Facebook comments and one can see the two flavours of Bengalis at each others throats, one says 'rendian', the other reminds us of 71 and says something along the lines of 'Jihadi'.

We will remain the laughing stock of the region until we fix this, West Bengal is already not matching up to its potential nor does New Delhi care much for West Bengal. Biharis beat up west Bengal government transport drives, stole their buses after they entered Bihari jurisdiction and WB state government couldn't do a thing.

We Bangladeshis aren't doing much better either, we are comparing ourselves with our two neighbours, one of which is poor like us and the other is.... The less said about that other genocidal lot the better. We should compare ourselves to something we seek to become, if we are comparing ourselves with other South Asian countries then we are a dumb, dumb people.

Grow up Bengalis, embrace thy brethren and give up on this us Vs them mentality, ignore those who speak ill or sow discord between our people.

Anyway enough rambling for today, I'm too lazy to proofread this, forgive any typos and as always this is my own individual opinion based on my observations.

You are all free to critique or disagree.

Last edited:
Right, I have interacted with WB folks all the way from middle school to my professional life, overall the interactions have been very positive, I meant to say some seem to believe Islam does not belong in Bengali culture definitely not the majority, and I do not expect you or anyone to apologize for bigots, we have enough Bigots in Bd who irrationally hates all the non-muslims.

Some of my distant relatives are in Kolkata and live in one of the Muslim majority neighborhoods, most of the animosities I felt were from the auto or taxi drivers, esp when I was trying to hail a ride to visit them, maybe because the neighborhood i was trying to visit was less developed or a ghetto, one of the drivers shared a random Islamophobic story, on how he was stuck in a situation where he was the only "Bengali" with '20 Muslims' (meaning Bangladeshis) in an airport and some xyz Islamophobic rant. He told me others were not Bengali as they were Muslims. I did not pay enough attention, what stuck me was couple of years later when I introduced myself to a fellow student in US, and he was shocked by my last name, and was confused how can I be a muslim and Bengali at the same time. This guy is born and raised in US, I do not believe his confusion was coming from hate but from ignorance. I do not know about his family background, but i find it a little strange that his parents somehow made him believe muslims are not Bengalis.

Providence preserve me from the bad images created by these morons.

I am curious; what do you mean Muslim majority neighborhoods?

Providence preserve me from the bad images created by these morons.

I am curious; what do you mean Muslim majority neighborhoods?
My extended family lives in a neighborhood called " Musolman Para" ( I dont know whether only that neighborhood is called Musolman Para or if its a generic name to a Muslim neighborhood)I do not recall the exact location, about 45 mins or hr from salt lake city I believe. Its a place a typical tourist from bd would not go to.

My extended family lives in a neighborhood called " Musolman Para" ( I dont know whether only that neighborhood is called Musolman Para or if its a generic name to a Muslim neighborhood)I do not recall the exact location, about 45 mins or hr from salt lake city I believe. Its a place a typical tourist from bd would not go to.

Must be on the Barrackpore Trunk Road. Can't think of any area elsewhere. I have been in a predominantly Muslim settlement in BagBazar, on the river, but it was still BagBazar.

Very puzzling.

Yes, Bangladesh tourists would typically stay in Little Bangladesh, the area I defined, totally central, or in the hotels on the VIP Road, leading out of the airport.

A very respectable area is Park Circus, and also a centre for some of the best food.

PS: I am an idiot. That is where the Bangladesh Deputy High Commission is!!!

It's in north 24 parganas, I have distant family there too.

Interesting how we are all somehow related.

Let me state bluntly that whoever in Kolkata feels that being Muslim and being Bangali are mutually exclusive is an ***. A total thundering ***. You have met some very peculiar people, quite probably somebody with my background, that is, a refugee from East Bengal.

I am not apologising for them, because it is not for me to apologise for every bigot you encounter; life is too short for that. Only let me say that in a culture where for a ceremonial feast, a Hindu host would clearly demarcate specific seating for specific groups, including Muslims, the idea of excluding Muslims is utterly ridiculous. A Muslim might object to the way these customs were implemented, and seek perfect equality, but Brahmins (and two other castes) got priority at these, even above the family members, whether or not the hosting family belonged to these three themselves.

So for someone to say or to hint that they thought Muslims were not Bangali is ridiculous.

You may have either met the continuingly wounded refugee, like the family of my friend Somok Roy, whose brothers Tathagata and Saugata are politicians; I enclose a link to Tathagata's latest outrage so that you can see for yourself what abnormal people can say or do, far beyond whatever you have said here.

The point I am making is that Saugata is a very prominent member of the Trinamool Congress; if anyone describes the TMC as anti-Muslim, he will have his listeners rolling on the floor with laughter.

The other possibility is that you met someone who is upset by the presence of extremely nasty gangster elements all from the UP and Bihar regions. They are strong in Watgunge and Topsia, and are laws unto themselves. There was that notorious incident where they trapped a DC away from his police guard and gouged out his eyes. EVERY respectable citizen hates these goons, and unfortunately they happen to be Muslim, so they forget Bangali Muslims and concentrate their fire on these very prominent and very unsavoury characters.

Please try to understand the context and be sure that if Kolkata were anti-Muslim, forget about anti-Bangladeshi, then the location between Lenin Sarani (the old Dharmatola Street), Rafi Ahmed Kidwai Avenue (the old Wellesley Street), Mirza Ghalib Street (formerly Free School Street) and Ripon Street would not be an area where Bangladesh currency is accepted for exchange, phone connections offering cheap rates to Bangladesh are available and the hotels and lodging houses are totally oriented towards Bangladeshi travellers.

PS: Do the new names of the old streets tell you anything?

I disagree.

I consider myself a Bangal, although I am an Indian citizen and a loyal patriot. I have made five reports against awful language used on this thread, and all five have been acted upon, and the culprit warned.

Eitarey koye hather sukh.

You may feel that this is a harsh step; I will not hesitate to take it on behalf of my brothers. Don't worry, even if you have something nasty to say about me, I recognise flesh of my flesh, blood of my blood. Remember that I fought with Nilgiri, not once but many times, when he bullied Bangladeshi members; those posts are still on record.

We are very good friends now, but the name Bangali and the country Bangladesh only comes up in a highly complimentary and positive context, and that suits me fine.

To all Bangladesh posters:

I can from personal experience assure you the Moderators take reports - serious, justified reports - VERY SERIOUSLY.

Read my signature. That is not an idle story.

Dada apnakey Lal Salaam. Bhalo bolechhen. Well said. :-)

Bengali culture is more closely related to agnosticism than anything other specific religion, anybody who disagrees is trying to one up other Bengalis.

While other cultures are having identity crises of all sorts ranging from 'are we arabs' ? 'what are Indian Muslims, I'm Indian first', 'F america; BLM', 'are we Slavs or pure bred Europeans?'....

Our people are busy nitpicking amongst themselves, we are truly a bunch of delusional ingrates.

We are blessed with a beautiful language that has a rich history laced in tales of conflict, strife and suffering from which tales of the bravery of our fore fathers shine through. A language inseparable from our culture, a culture revolving around our language.

We are blessed with a colourful culture, that is one of the most, if not the most renowned in South Asia, ask anybody who knows a thing or two about history and they will all know what Bengal is and how Bengalis are supposed to be.

Our kingdoms stood tall even after the repeated attempts by foreigner mongrels of all skin shades under the sun but they couldn't bring us down.

What it took for them to subdue us, was for one of us to defect to them. For one of us to put personal gains over their loyalty to our Bangla Ma.

Our culture is so deeply and irrevocably ingrained in us, that we laid down own lives to preserve our simple Bengali way of life.

Our people have a history of leading the struggle from the front, be it the mughal periods, be it 1905, be it 1947, be it 1952, be 1965, be it 1971...

Our faith in our culture is so strong, some foreigners mistake it for a 'superiority complex'.

Even with all these blessings that bind us together, a few of us from both sides of the Bengali spectrum are not happy with the way things are.

Why are we this way ? Why do we have to be like the others ?

Why can't we be Bengali before all else and Bengali all the way through, is being Bengali not enough ?

Is speaking Bangla, eating like Bengali, living like Bengali, being born in the blessed arms of a Bengali mother not enough affirmation of our Bengali-ness ?

Why are we trying to pick bones, when none exist ?

Indeed, those who seek to demarcate a fine like between the two Bengals and claim ownership over the Bengali culture all for themselves are misguided.

Such people must be shown the ill in their ways, but it must be shown in a loving and caring manner. Foul language, rarely serves little purpose other than to send people even farther away.

But what I see on the ground isn't promising, we are doing ourselves no favours, both sides are to blame.

Just open any YouTube comments section or Facebook comments and one can see the two flavours of Bengalis at each others throats, one says 'rendian', the other reminds us of 71 and says something along the lines of 'Jihadi'.

We will remain the laughing stock of the region until we fix this, West Bengal is already not matching up to its potential nor does New Delhi care much for West Bengal. Biharis beat up west Bengal government transport drives, stole their buses after they entered Bihari jurisdiction and WB state government couldn't do a thing.

We Bangladeshis aren't doing much better either, we are comparing ourselves with our two neighbours, one of which is poor like us and the other is.... The less said about that other genocidal lot the better. We should compare ourselves to something we seek to become, if we are comparing ourselves with other South Asian countries then we are a dumb, dumb people.

Grow up Bengalis, embrace thy brethren and give up on this us Vs them mentality, ignore those who speak ill or sow discord between our people.

Anyway enough rambling for today, I'm too lazy to proofread this, forgive any typos and as always this is my own individual opinion based on my observations.

You are all free to critique or disagree.
Very well said . You would get another positive rating from me ,only if I have this ability to give it .

No this is a legit tag.

There used to be a thread called "Beautiful Bangladesh". See if you can revive it and make it sticky by asking our mod. @krash your gracious action is needed please.

I've created a new thread and provided the link for the old thread in it. The old thread had too many broken links and off topic discussions, so would not have served the purpose.

The Beautiful Bangladesh.

Please invite your compatriots to contribute in the thread. Once it has exceeded two pages, let me know and I will make it a sticky.

Back
Top Bottom