What's new

Chickens Coming Home to Roost

Of course there is a deeper dimension.

The point is that the Crimea situation has exposed the deep rift between Europe and the US when it comes to dealing with Russia.

NATO may be united when dealing with non-Western countries, but Europe has a very different relationship with Russia than the US does.

You would be surprised how quickly this "rift" heals when push comes to shove. I have no doubt over this.

You would be surprised how quickly this "rift" heals when push comes to shove. I have no doubt over this.

Short of a military conflict, there is no chance that Europe will toe the American line on economic warfare with Russia. European economy is far too intertwined with Russia for that to happen.

As I stated earlier, Europe sees this as a war between two contenders for world domination, no longer a fight against communism.

Europe has its own plans to be a world player, and has no reason to favor one side (US or Russia) over the other.

PS. The reason Europe is making token gestures on the sanctions has more to do with placating the Eastern European countries than anything else.

Short of a military conflict, there is no chance that Europe will toe the American line on economic warfare with Russia. European economy is far too intertwined with Russia for that to happen.

As I stated earlier, Europe sees this as a war between two contenders for world domination, no longer a fight against communism.

Europe has its own plans to be a world player, and has no reason to favor one side (US or Russia) over the other.

PS. The reason Europe is making token gestures on the sanctions has more to do with placating the Eastern European countries than anything else.

Of course. Every bloc will do what is right for its interests. But Europe's long term interests will remain more aligned with USA than with anyone else. The Crimean issue will simmer to bleed Russia as much as is possible and both Europe and USA will work together to keep it just so.

One ........ two ........ three ........ :D

There is plenty of room to deep fry all these chickens coming home to Uncle Sam. Russia's claimed supremacy is based on exploitation of raw resources only and pretty hollow. USA has plenty of its own energy resources and it can manipulate those prices with relative ease to Russia's disadvantage, if need be.
Not if the Russians and the Chinese start trading in currency other than the dollar, for oil and gas!

Not if the Russians and the Chinese start trading in currency other than the dollar, for oil and gas!

Well, nothing has been stopping them from doing that for decades. Please go ahead! :D

Of course. Every bloc will do what is right for its interests. But Europe's long term interests will remain more aligned with USA than with anyone else. The Crimean issue will simmer to bleed Russia as much as is possible and both Europe and USA will work together to keep it just so.

You are right that Europe has more in common with the US than with Russia in many ways. However, the difference is not enough for Europe to take sides (short of a military conflict).

As for Crimea, I mentioned elsewhere that this is actually a masterstroke by the US. As long as the Ukraine situation drags out, it keeps the tension hot between Russia and Europe and also between Eastern and Western European countries.

Europe and Russia have a reason to forget Ukraine and get back to business as usual. The US has a reason to make sure the situation (and Russia-Europe relations) remains volatile

You are right that Europe has more in common with the US than with Russia in many ways. However, the difference is not enough for Europe to take sides (short of a military conflict).

As for Crimea, I mentioned elsewhere that this is actually a masterstroke by the US. As long as the Ukraine situation drags out, it keeps the tension hot between Russia and Europe and also between Eastern and Western European countries.

Europe and Russia have a reason to forget Ukraine and get back to business as usual. The US has a reason to make sure the situation (and Russia-Europe relations) remains volatile

Europe cannot forget Ukraine, because it does not want the bear back on its doorsteps. That is why it will work with USA to keep in entangled in Crimea.

Yeah! I was wondering why they haven't done it so far! :rolleyes1:

Because that is just an empty threat? :D

Europe cannot forget Ukraine, because it does not want the bear back on its doorsteps. That is why it will work with USA to keep in entangled in Crimea.

There is no "entanglement" in Crimea; it's a done deal.

Western Europe doesn't fear a "communist" invasion from Russia. Russia has no plans to invade Europe, and Western Europe has no fears of such an invasion. Both sides are more interested in forming an economic partnership.

The US will find more eager allies in Eastern Europe, which still remembers the bad old days and is apprehensive of Russia. That's why the Ukraine situation was a masterstroke by the US, because it reignited old apprehensions in Eastern Europe.

This has also become a headache for the EU: Western Europe wants to get back to business, but Eastern Europe can't forget Ukraine.

PS. Anyway, to get back to my point about Germany, it wants to put the situation behind as soon as possible and get back to business. Germany has no interest in prolonging the tension.

There is no "entanglement" in Crimea; it's a done deal.

Western Europe doesn't fear a "communist" invasion from Russia. Russia has no plans to invade Europe, and Western Europe has no fears of such an invasion. Both sides are more interested in forming an economic partnership.

The US will find more eager allies in Eastern Europe, which still remembers the bad old days and is apprehensive of Russia. That's why the Ukraine situation was a masterstroke by the US, because it reignited old apprehensions in Eastern Europe.

This has also become a headache for the EU: Western Europe wants to get back to business, but Eastern Europe can't forget Ukraine.

PS. Anyway, to get back to my point about Germany, it wants to put the situation behind as soon as possible and get back to business. Germany has no interest in prolonging the tension.

Fair enough. We both have stated our points of view. Let's see how the situation evolves to support the side of either PoV.

Back
Top Bottom